• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2: Episode Three speculation

SenseiJinx said:
Does anybody here have Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar? I wonder why they don't sell it in the Valve store anymore. =( It usually goes for about $50 or $60 on eBay or Amazon.

I do. Had no idea it was so rare now, that's awesome. Anything in particular you want to know about it?

stuminus3

JBuccCP said:
Gordon fell asleep on that long ass ride in the trolley thing at the beginning of Half Life 1.
I couldn't even begin to speculate how the HL2 arc will be resolved, but I could actually see an ending to Ep. 3 like that.

Picture this; you're almost close to some kind of enlightenment on what's actually going on in HL2. Some character is just about to say something that'll put all the pieces together, finally. Then something happens. Then suddenly you're on the monorail. The end of Ep3 plays out like the start of HL1.

"Was it all a dream? What the fuck is this?" you will say. Then something really weird happens. Just for a split moment. Maybe all the humans you see around Black Mesa suddenly appear to be Vortigons, just for a flicker. Maybe the announcer of the train says something really weird and random (I've got that whole speech committed to memory). Just enough to make you question it. Then fade to black...

I wouldn't put it past Valve to pull some kind of shenanigan like that. :D

PowderedToast

stuminus3 said:
I couldn't even begin to speculate how the HL2 arc will be resolved, but I could actually see an ending to Ep. 3 like that.

Picture this; you're almost close to some kind of enlightenment on what's actually going on in HL2. Some character is just about to say something that'll put all the pieces together, finally. Then something happens. Then suddenly you're on the monorail. The end of Ep3 plays out like the start of HL1.

"Was it all a dream? What the fuck is this?" you will say. Then something really weird happens. Just for a split moment. Maybe all the humans you see around Black Mesa suddenly appear to be Vortigons, just for a flicker. Maybe the announcer of the train says something really weird and random (I've got that whole speech committed to memory). Just enough to make you question it. Then fade to black...

I wouldn't put it past Valve to pull some kind of shenanigan like that. :D
I would then get on a bus to Valve's building and proceed to take a dump on their doorstep.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
stuminus3 said:

This exact, looping ending has been done before, in a popular set of books.

I don't wanna say what ones, because then I would be spoiling something completely unrelated to HL in a HL topic...

Point is, I don't see Valve going in that direction. They aren't perfect, but they're at least generally able to blaze their own path instead of leaning super heavily on the story conventions of others.

I bet that the G-Man will try to kill Freeman at the end. Then Alyx will try to save him and it will turn out that she somehow got Vortigaunt powers. Finally they will battle each other and G-Man gets obliterated.

...Hey, it could happen:lol

stuminus3

I was going for a "hey did this or did this not?" kind of thing, not specifically the looped thing, it's all good though. I'd be pissed too if Valve really did try to pull that one. :D

I wonder, will there ever again be a videogame to have me keep talking and speculating about so long after release? I mean, there's probably better games since HL2. Definitely since HL1. There's just something about Half-Life that kind of... strikes those chords, y'know? It's a very rare experience.

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Oh, hey, just remembered something that I hadn't before.

Remember when the vortigaunts are reviving Alyx, and they say something along the lines of "we bond the Freeman's life with hers"? What do you guys think the significance of that was?
It probably more or less indicates that the Vortigaunts will work to protect her in the same way they have with Freeman. They did save her from the Citadel's first explosion (which was no small gesture), so I think this is likely.

stuminus3

SenseiJinx said:
Remember when the vortigaunts are reviving Alyx, and they say something along the lines of "we bond the Freeman's life with hers"? What do you guys think the significance of that was?
I don't think it was significant, I just think Valve knew that it'd make us think it was, those tricksters. If you don't take the line so literally, it could just be some ritual comment that means nothing before and after the actual event takes place... sort of like when you get married, there's no actual bond in body or mind, it's just a tradition.

I find Half-Life 2 is less about what things might really mean and more about filtering out the stuff that doesn't really mean anything at all.

MGHA

SenseiJinx said:
And then suddenly everything just freezes...it was jolting. I thought for the first split second that the game had crashed, or was stuttering, until you hear that blood chilling "Doctor Freeman...".

That scene has go to be one of the most bone chilling sequences I have ever witnessed in a game, or movie. Sitting in a pitch black room with the volume all the way up on my headphones, and this pops up in the middle of surgery.

No, no, no. The Half-life saga will end like this:

Using some newfound ability to travel through time, you arrive at Black Mesa the very day of the Resonance Cascade. Your objective is to stop yourself/G-Man/whoever so that the experiment does not go ahead. Your starting point is somewhere else within Black Mesa, and you spend much of the time trying to get to the test chamber.

After you succeed, you're sent forwards to the HL2 era time, where because of your actions, everything is normal. You walk around for a bit, and finally enter a bar. Of course, nobody knows who you are. While you're standing there, Alyx (wearing some different clothes please Valve) approaches you and asks to buy you a drink. Kinda like when you meet her in HL2, except she's serious this time.

That's what my friend told me is going to happen. He lives in my head.

PnCIa

Jaded Alyx said:
No, no, no. The Half-life saga will end like this:

Using some newfound ability to travel through time, you arrive at Black Mesa the very day of the Resonance Cascade. Your objective is to stop yourself/G-Man/whoever so that the experiment does not go ahead. Your starting point is somewhere else within Black Mesa, and you spend much of the time trying to get to the test chamber.

After you succeed, you're sent forwards to the HL2 era time, where because of your actions, everything is normal. You walk around for a bit, and finally enter a bar. Of course, nobody knows who you are. While you're standing there, Alyx (wearing some different clothes please Valve) approaches you and asks to buy you a drink. Kinda like when you meet her in HL2, except she's serious this time.

That's what my friend told me is going to happen. He lives in my head.
Tell your friend that i like his idea. Well, at least the first part ;)

SenseiJinx said:
Heh, and abandoning the vortigaunts and any other species the Combine has enslaved or is going to? We'd likely just be giving them more time to become even more powerful until the inevitable time that they stumble upon earth anyway. ;)

My friend says that was all taken care of already. I asked him how, but he said he was sworn to secrecy.

Bastard.

SenseiJinx said:
Okay, then Gordon's relationship with Alyx through fighting together and saving each other's lives numerous times >>> any relationship that could be formed by them hooking up in a bar.

;)

Yeh but...Eli will be able to attend their wedding! Um...:lol

GuessWho

How old is ep2? closing 1 or 2 years now? these games are spread out way too much. Valve can suck my balls.
I will still buy the game.

Sciz

SenseiJinx said:
Probably as significant as everything else they blather on about if you talk to them enough. i.e. relevant in a cryptic, metaphysical sense, but largely irrelevant to anything we're ever going to actually experience. I like the Vortigaunts well enough, but they're second only to the G-man himself in the "weird stuff Valve likes to tease the players with" hierarchy.

stuminus3 said:
Maybe they should outsource this rumoured "Episode 4" to Telltale games. :D
I'm trying to imagine what this would be like and keep utterly failing at it.

Now I'm envisioning Sam & Max wandering through the Half-Life series, Concerned style.

SenseiJinx said:
Want.

(Also, it just clicked in my mind that the Gearbox that did the Half-Life expansions is the same one doing the Wii Sambe de Amigo.)

EDIT: Aside from the bad sound quality, these two videos are amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUp71tOCfmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbkBc_sfe4
Valve's lipsyncing tech is quite impressive. If I remember correctly, they designed a program to examine speech files and create believeable lip movements on the fly without having to animate by hand. The rest of the facial animation is built around simulated muscle groups, which they improve with each iteration of the Source engine (HL2 -> Ep.1 -> Ep.2). I believe they hired an expert on facial expressions and movements to help them code their facial animation system.

Sibylus

Banned
So in my recent preparations for the eventual HL2 playthrough thread (early, I know), I divvied up chapters into days, and came up with 19 days to finish (a chapter a day roughly, shorter chapters or chapters that blend with the previous one are combined).

HL2: 10 days
Episode One: 3 days
Episode Two: 6 days

The idea is to set down hard dates when Valve announces Episode Three's release date, so Gaf can jump into III with perfect timing (Episode Three would be released on the 20th day).

Thoughts?

Won

Botolf said:
So in my recent preparations for the eventual HL2 playthrough thread (early, I know), I divvied up chapters into days, and came up with 19 days to finish (a chapter a day roughly, shorter chapters or chapters that blend with the previous one are combined).

The idea is to set down hard dates when Valve announces Episode Three's release date, so Gaf can jump into III with perfect timing (Episode Three would be released on the 20th day).

Thoughts?

I say: Just start the thread at HL's 10th anniversary.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Botolf said:

Thoughts?

I'm in.

Tenks

Botolf said:
I suppose. You'd have to get somebody else to do it, though, I don't own a single HL1 title :{

Wha wha whaaaat???

HL1:OF is a pretty decent expansion pack. Blue Shift was kinda meh.

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
I like it. Unfortunately, I'm going to be working in a place where I won't have access to my games for awhile, and likely won't be able to participate. ='( Which also means I'll miss out on playing Ep.3 at launch. Oh well.
Well, that sucks :/

Install Steam in a hidden folder? :D *disclaimer of no responsibility for mishaps here*

Won

Botolf said:
I suppose. You'd have to get somebody else to do it, though, I don't own a single HL1 title :{

Huiuiui.....quit your job/shool, send your family/girlfirend in a country no one can spell and play it like right now!

Sibylus

Banned
Won said:
Huiuiui.....quit your job/shool, send your family/girlfirend in a country no one can spell and play it like right now!
:eek:

I'll write this package's details down somewhere, along with all the other awesome games I missed.

SenseiJinx said:
I would totally do that, but I'm likely not going to have access to a computer at all. :eek: (I'm excited for it, it's going to be a good opportunity, but that part sucks.)

When I get back, I'll dig up your thread and be a lttp participant before I play Ep.3. :D
I shall expect you! ;)

SenseiJinx said:
EDIT: Aside from the bad sound quality, these two videos are amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUp71tOCfmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbkBc_sfe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1kcDvJ6t4s

Incredible.

As requested by the OP in another thread, EPISODE ONE IMAGE DUMP

THUMBNAILS:

A FEW ENLARGED:

ep1_citadel_040014.jpg

ep1_citadel_040004.jpg