• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life newbie -- should I start with the original or sequel?

Dilbert

OK, back from a hellish week of work and travel...and it's finally time to play some Half-Life. The question is -- which one? I never played the original Half-Life, but obviously all the hype is for Half-Life 2.

Do you think I can get caught up on the original story in context during HL2? Or is it worth it to play through the original one first?

(I'm not posting this in the HL2 main thread since I don't want to risk viewing spoilers.)

Slo

HL2 >>>> HL1, but if you've got the time I'd play HL: Source first. The story will make more sense.

royale

Wasn't there already a topic posted on this exact same question?

Anyways, I would start with HL2. Its just a better game overall and it would seem even fresher if you started out with it.

Just go back to HL if you are really curious about the backstory. Actually, a there are a few cutscenes within HL2 that explain a little bit about what happened to Gordan.

Mrbob

You buy Half LIfe 2 silver package over steam you get Half Life Source with it. I would go with that.

Now, if you don't want to play through the game, you can read up on Half Life backstory here:

http://website.lineone.net/~wingerden/

I'd recommend to play through Half Life first if you haven't. But the info on that website is good enough to give you information so you know whats going on in Half Life 2. But it may not matter because you really don't know what is going on in Half Life 2 in the first place! :lol Just that things have gone to hell and it takes place like 10-15 years after the first one.

BenT

I dunno about HL2 being better yet, but yeah, go ahead and play the first one. Knowing what's going on is good.

Plus I just tried HL Source, and was impressed by how well the action held up.

Slo

Mrbob said:
You buy Half LIfe 2 silver package over steam you get Half Life Source with it. I would go with that.

Now, if you don't want to play through the game, you can read up on Half Life backstory here:

http://website.lineone.net/~wingerden/

I'd recommend to play through Half Life first if you haven't. But the info on that website is good enough to give you information so you know whats going on in Half Life 2. But it may not matter because you really don't know what is going on in Half Life 2 in the first place! :lol Just that things have gone to hell and it takes place like 10-15 years after the first one.

You don't really know what's going on, but if you haven't played the first one you won't know why
people and scientists idolize you and regard you as their savior.
You also won't recognise some of the NPCs along the way.

about how long will it take to play thru HL1? Im debating the same issuse as Jinx. I already purchased the Silver package. I havent started either yet as I'm working all weekend then I leave for Mexico for a week. I'm planning on starting one or the other when I get back.

I stupidly let someone borrow my computer so THEY could play while I'm gone. Or I'd start tonight after work :(

If you bought the Silver package, you might as well play through Half-Life:Source. It shouldn't take too long and it's a great game.

Slo said:
You don't really know what's going on, but if you haven't played the first one you won't know why
people and scientists idolize you and regard you as their savior.
You also won't recognise some of the NPCs along the way.

I played the first one and I still don't understand why they're like that.

mosaic

go eat paint
Half-Life takes about 6-8 hours to complete... it's not too long.... a couple touchy spots, but if you've played an FPS before, you'll blow through it. You'll curse the final level though.

shuri

Banned
The Shadow said:
If you bought the Silver package, you might as well play through Half-Life:Source. It shouldn't take too long and it's a great game.

I played the first one and I still don't understand why they're like that.

Uh. It's because you managed to escape from the black mesa facility in the first one. I guess that the other survivors heard of what you did. Remember that several scientists helped you along the way. For them, you became like a legend or msth. Then you disappeared mysteriously.

Slo said:
HL2 >>>> HL1, but if you've got the time I'd play HL: Source first. The story will make more sense.

Only if he picks the right ending... or wrong ending... well one of the endings. Granted he makes it through Xen.

shuri said:
Uh. It's because you managed to escape from the black mesa facility in the first one. I guess that the other survivors heard of what you did. Remember that several scientists helped you along the way. For them, you became like a legend or msth. Then you disappeared mysteriously.

Uh. So what? Other people survived too obviously. Why aren't they "legends" as well?
Gordon did nothing special other than survive the event. He did nothing extraordinary that would warrant such status.

Slo

If
fighting your way out of Black Mesa, traveling to another dimension, and single handily defeating the ochestrator of the alien invasion of Earth
is nothing extraordinary you probably won't be impressed by much of anything. :)

Slo said:
If
fighting your way out of Black Mesa, traveling to another dimension, and single handily defeating the ochestrator of the alien invasion of Earth
is nothing extraordinary you probably won't be impressed by much of anything. :)

Earth still got invaded though. Moreover, people should be blaming the scientists like Gordon who started the portal cascasade and opened the way for invasion in the first place

Like I said, I don't understand the dick sucking but maybe I'm thinking of it too realistically.

duckroll

The Shadow said:
Uh. So what? Other people survived too obviously. Why aren't they "legends" as well?
Gordon did nothing special other than survive the event. He did nothing extraordinary that would warrant such status.

Erm...
Gordon Freeman single handedly destroyed the alien mastermind on Xen, hence helping the Vortegons make a step towards liberation from their Controller masters. So with the Vortegons working with the scientists and rebels against the Combine in HL2, it only makes sense that Freeman is seen as the messiah figure. A sort of liberator for both worlds. The very point of the story is that he doesn't deserve it, but because people believe in you and help you, you're able to do the very things they think you can do. Also, Freeman's complete lack of qualification for the status and job he has at hand now is a great source of humor in the games. :)

border

Half-Life 1 is really boring. I quit before the end because I didn't seem to be having any fun, and most people said it only gets more lame late in the game. It is a fossil at best -- only interesting because of its place in gaming evolution. Most everything it does has been long since one-upped (or at the least, re-created 20 times over).

Just skip the damned thing and go straight to the superior sequel. Any one of this forum's rabid HL fans will be happy to provide a synopsis if you really feel like you've missed out on much of anything. You wouldn't be too confused by HL2, even if you went into it blind. They do a pretty good job of setting everything up.

Top Bottom