• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2: "highest presale in the history of video games."

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
GhaleonEB said:
Whoa. That's a million sold on day one.

Between those who come in and the percentage who actually pick up their pre-orders on day one, easily.

Mrbob

It'll be interesting to see the percentage sold of the regular edition against the collectors edition.

GhaleonEB

Redbeard said:
Are they going to be able to ship enough titles to fill all those preorders for day one?

The game is expected to go gold on Friday, one month before launch. Frankie said in the last update that millions, plural, would be shipped.

Chi-Town

MightyHedgehog said:
Didn't GTA: VC do better than that for preorders, though? I'm confused. Still, great news!! Just over a month to go...

I just did a search and an article came up talking about 4 million pre-orders for Vice City. I'm wondering if there's some difference between pre-orders and pre-sales?

GhaleonEB

Oh - and it's not bad for a game with no real advertising...yet. This is before people even have really seen what they are getting. By all accounts, the Campaign will blow you away. (The shots floating around are stunning.)

Chi-Town said:
I just did a search and an article came up talking about 4 million pre-orders for Vice City.

Yeah....but wasn't there some dispute about whether those were actual paid-for customer preorders and just retail preorders for shipping?

GhaleonEB

Chi-Town said:
I just did a search and an article came up talking about 4 million pre-orders for Vice City.

I don't think it even sold that its first month. I'll need to see some sales numbers first.

DarienA

The individual XBL arcade games will cost $10 to $20 each to download? Has that been reported before?

GhaleonEB

DarienA said:
The individual XBL arcade games will cost $10 to $20 each to download? Has that been reported before?

I'd read elsewhere that those 'individual' games would also include bundles of classics, so it would be $10 for Dig-Dug and a half-dozen other games.

Vice did around 1.5 million in October (it was only out 4 days that month). Another million for November and December also. Supposedly Wind Waker had the previous record with 560k preorders.

DarienA

GhaleonEB said:
I'd read elsewhere that those 'individual' games would also include bundles of classics, so it would be $10 for Dig-Dug and a half-dozen other games.

Well hopefully that news article got it wrong because it's wording seems to lean towards the individual games costing that much which doesn't make much sense considering how much the Midway and Activision offline packs themselves cost.

Mzo

I'm wondering what'll end up with more pre-sales... Halo 2 or San Andreas. While a hell of a lot of people are crazy psyched for Halo 2, more people own PS2s than Xboxes.

Matlock

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Warcraft 3 had over 4 million presales I think.

PC != "video games"

;)

Mzo said:
I'm wondering what'll end up with more pre-sales... Halo 2 or San Andreas. While a hell of a lot of people are crazy psyched for Halo 2, more people own PS2s than Xboxes.

And a hell of a lot of the Halo 2 prebuyers have 2 preorders. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think VC sold around million on it's first day. There was some article (or PR) talking about that. No idea how many pre-orders it had, and what amount of those preorders were paid for and what are the retail.

Halo 2, likely will have more preorders, but I think SA will end up selling more. It's just a different mentality of the whole thing. People who will end up being the bulk of GTA SA, have probably never bothered preordering a game in their entire life.

This game will sell as much as 4 million copies by the end of the year, certainly over 3 million.

Damn. That's just crazy given it's installed userbase. I'm taking the week off from the message boards, just to try and avoid the tsunami of posts of "OMG!!!", "BEST GAME EVAHHH!!", etc.

Culex

Banned
Vice City had quite a bit more presales than Halo 2 now does. If it outsells VC on it's first day, it will be a miracle.

Mzo said:

More for Halo. Probably pretty easily. Whenever people talked about GTA: VC preorders of 4 million, that was retailer preorders, not customers.

The mobilization Microsoft has created for this preorder is phenomenal. GTA:SA will sell more, but Halo 2 will easily have more preorders by customers.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
This game will sell as much as 4 million copies by the end of the year, certainly over 3 million.
Worldwide? Possibility but i'd be surprised if it hit that high by years end.

PhatSaqs said:
Worldwide? Possibility but i'd be surprised if it hit that high by years end.

Just US. There should be a very high tie ratio for new systems sold and I'd imagine that at least 2 million more Xbox will be sold by the end of this year. It'll be like the launch all over again. Close to a 1-1 ratio. However, will these guys also buy Halo 1? If so, get ready for it (Halo 1) to jump up over 4 million units by the end of the year.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It helps when you've been offering it for well over a year though.

It is when its a big game like DQ where there will be people sitting out waiting for the game to be released days before its shipped.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Just US. There should be a very high tie ratio for new systems sold and I'd imagine that at least 2 million more Xbox will be sold by the end of this year. It'll be like the launch all over again. Close to a 1-1 ratio. However, will these guys also buy Halo 1? If so, get ready for it (Halo 1) to jump up over 4 million units by the end of the year.
Some lofty projections there. Shall I pull out the paste gif? :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's funny, gamestop has been pushing people to pay in full before release in order to get their game quicker. It looks like the people who dont pay in full will get theirs sooner :/

DarienA

sonycowboy said:

2 million between now and Dec 31st? Interesting prognostication.

I'm not really suprised the gamestop i work at has 670 reserves on it and my store is in a ghetto part of town so i'm expecting to get robbed that night with the midnight release

Mrbob

Some of you are confusing customer pre orders with retail presale orders.

WCIII had 4 million retail presale retailer orders worldwide.

Vice City had 4 million presale retail orders. Neither one of these are customer preorders. Just what the retailers want.

MS hasn't released the retailer order number yet....

ced

Not to get too far off topic but its gonna be sold at midnight on the 9th right?

Its not shipping the 9th like most games?

I guess if thats the case it will be shipped to retailers the week before or on monday.

Wonder how many are gonna break the date.

Mzo

sp0rsk said:
It's funny, gamestop has been pushing people to pay in full before release in order to get their game quicker. It looks like the people who dont pay in full will get theirs sooner :/
That's weird. At EB we really only track the number of preorders, not the amount that people have put down for the game =/ I wouldn't put it above certain store managers to lie to customers about when they can get the game in order to boost whatever number their store is currently tracking, though.

Alls I know is that I'm going to have it come midnight on November 9th, and I paid it off with shitty old GameCube games =D

Mzo

ced said:
Not to get too far off topic but its gonna be sold at midnight on the 9th right?

Its not shipping the 9th like most games?

I guess if thats the case it will be shipped to retailers the week before or on monday.

Wonder how many are gonna break the date.
AFAIK, it's shipping on the 9th. The retailers that are doing the midnight sale are springing for same day shipping.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Cant be shipping on the 9th if these stores plan to do midnight sales (which means they have the game at 11:59 on the 8th).

ced

PhatSaqs said:
Cant be shipping on the 9th if these stores plan to do midnight sales (which means they have the game at 11:59 on the 8th).

Right, thats what I was confused about.

It would have to be shipped the friday before I think, so it arrives on monday.

PhatSaqs

Banned
m0dus said:
I'm going blind. what game is he playing?
2002055066.jpg
Looks like Jade Empire.

Mrbob

They do deliver on Saturday, at a higher cost.

Use two day shipping ship them out Thursday the 4th and stores will have them on Monday the 8th.

It'll be like a lot of the big, huge releases...probably starting two-to-two-and-a-half-weeks before, you'll see them in the stores...in the back rooms.

Mzo

PhatSaqs said:
O_O Right, that's what I meant, the 8th. Stupid brain.

Mrbob

MightyHedgehog said:
It'll be like a lot of the big, huge releases...probably starting two-to-two-and-a-half-weeks before, you'll see them in the stores...in the back rooms.

If MS is serious about enforcing a hard release date, then I don't know how trustworthy they would feel having the game in stores two weeks before the official release. :p

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I hope they dont ship it so soon, I'll without a doubt inadvertendly stumble across some major spoiler posted online by some douchebag manager of a Gamespot that snagged a copy early

Jesiatha

DarienA said:
Well hopefully that news article got it wrong because it's wording seems to lean towards the individual games costing that much which doesn't make much sense considering how much the Midway and Activision offline packs themselves cost.

From the launch lineup, we have one pack of 3 arcade games which will be sold as a bundle. The rest of the games are being sold individually, but are not "arcade" games, but games in the style of arcade games, casual puzzle games, and social games.

Top Bottom