• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2: "highest presale in the history of video games."

Only thing that worries me is bad copies. 4 mill is a lot of disc to press by Nov 7, which is what I presume would be the deadline. With a game as high profile as Halo2, MS is more than likely making sure theres's some tight quality control going on.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
OG_Original Gamer said:
Only thing that worries me is bad copies. 4 mill is a lot of disc to press by Nov 7, which is what I presume would be the deadline. With a game as high profile as Halo2, MS is more than likely making sure theres's some tight quality control going on.

The question is though, IS 4 million alot of discs to press? Do we know what their capacity is? Do we know how many plants they use, etc?

PhatSaqs

Banned
There's only 2 ways MS can possibly screw up Halo 2s launch:

- hire a team full of retards to handle it
- sabbotage

For anyone concerned with shipping, and when retailers get their copies, don't be. HALO 2 is supposed to be a worldwide launch. Which means in order to sell it in places like Europe and especially Australia, they will have had to ship copies days before hand,if not more, to make sure they are ready for the Ninth.

bjork

m0dus said:
I'm going blind. what game is he playing?
2002055066.jpg

I don't know, but that is the strongest table ever.

FinFan

For anyone concerned with shipping, and when retailers get their copies, don't be. HALO 2 is supposed to be a worldwide launch. Which means in order to sell it in places like Europe and especially Australia, they will have had to ship copies days before hand,if not more, to make sure they are ready for the Ninth.

Europe gets it on the 11th not the 9th.

GhaleonEB

Blazing Sword said:

But it launches on the 11th for most non-US territories.....

That said, with nearly 1,300 EB stores and most Gamestops having midnight sales, I'm pretty confident they will have them on hand, similar to the Project Gotham Racing 2 launch. I read elsewhere that Microsoft was planning to ship to stores on the 6th to ensure that everyone will have them on the 9th.

Is it true that MS changed the PAL date from 09.11 to 11.11 because 09.11 looks "wrong" to americans? september 11th you know... or is this just a BS rumor?

snapty00

Banned
Project Midway said:
Is it true that MS changed the PAL date from 09.11 to 11.11 because 09.11 looks "wrong" to americans? september 11th you know... or is this just a BS rumor?
I'm not sure, but I do know one thing: we should make a big deal out of them doing that.

FinFan said:
Europe gets it on the 11th not the 9th.

If thats true, I wonder what happened to the 'worldwide release' it was supposed to be?

Either way, an extra two days is not alot of time. The copies will still have to be shipped before the ninth at least a day or two in advance of it.

DarienA said:
The question is though, IS 4 million alot of discs to press? Do we know what their capacity is? Do we know how many plants they use, etc?

I worked at Panasonics DVD pressing factory for two years in CA. Today there are machines that are used to place the disc, booklet, boxart sleeve in the case that hold them and sometimes these machines can breakdown. There were occasions where we would get a whole spindle of disc that were faulty and had to be trashed.

There were a certain number of employees that would be set aside to do this by hand, its just not as fast as the machines.

Pressing errors do occur also, there would be a wavy texture look on the data side of the disc.

MS should have atleast 3-4 disc pressing and packaging facilities working on this project. Without any serious problems each facility should be able to produce 1-2 million copies in a week.

Wish I working at one of the facilities now, the person that handles quality control would actually get to play the game to ensure that the press was successful.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I thought it was just through fear of idiot UK retailers releasing the game before the US street date.

DarienA said:

For a single game... of course. However, Sony prints upwards of 10 million units EVERY SINGLE month, big release or no. During the holidays, they print over 50 million units in a month. And as it has been since Nintendo's heyday, guess who gets first in line? :)

BTW, Sony is currently at ~Approximately 610 million units pressed (as of June 30th) after 51 months. And the units have more than doubled from what they were in 2000/2001, as the userbase has increased.

McFly

Enter the matrix had 4mill preorders. It only sold 2.5mill because people realised how bad the game was and canceled most of them, but still, that game had 4mill preorders at some point, so this 1mill Halo 2 preorders is by far not a record.

Fredi

Chi-Town

Okay, after thinking about this...

Preorders are the number of copies stores order

Pre-sales are when people put down a deposit with the intention of buying the game

jedimike

McFly said:
Enter the matrix had 4mill preorders. It only sold 2.5mill because people realised how bad the game was and canceled most of them, but still, that game had 4mill preorders at some point, so this 1mill Halo 2 preorders is by far not a record.

Fredi

Don't you love it when people don't read the thread before replying?

SyNapSe

McFly said:

Fredi

Once again, this article is referencing pre-orders on a customer basis. i.e. actual consumer demand. This is not pre-sales based on quantities ordered by retail outlets.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
McFly said:

Fredi

4 Mill was the initial shipment, it was not the number of pre-orders.

DarienA

Chi-Town said:
Okay, after thinking about this...

Preorders are the number of copies stores order

Pre-sales are when people put down a deposit with the intention of buying the game

From the news article:

"About 1 million copies of "Halo 2" have been pre-ordered so far, making it the highest presale in the history of video games, the company said yesterday."

Deku Tree

Mama Smurf said:
Is preordering games as prevalent in Japan though?

I think consumers preorder games in Japan... does anyone know how many consumer preorders or 'pre-sales' there were for Dragon Quest VII in Japan?

Drexon

Banned
Ugh, I get so frustrated sometimes. Told my friend this news and he was all "lol@you, only kids will buy fps games", so I'm like "nonono, the target audience on this game is 16+ and I think the median age will be 19-20", and then I realized he was just another fpsofobe. -_- And when I think about it None of my friends want Halo 2, or even an Xbox. I dunno, It's just so frustrating convincing someone of something that you _know_ and just not making it.

IJoel

Drexon said:
Ugh, I get so frustrated sometimes. Told my friend this news and he was all "lol@you, only kids will buy fps games", so I'm like "nonono, the target audience on this game is 16+ and I think the median age will be 19-20", and then I realized he was just another fpsofobe. -_- And when I think about it None of my friends want Halo 2, or even an Xbox. I dunno, It's just so frustrating convincing someone of something that you _know_ and just not making it.

Ditch your friends.

GAF on Xbox Live.

I kid, of course. ;)

Deku Tree said:
I think consumers preorder games in Japan... does anyone know how many consumer preorders or 'pre-sales' there were for Dragon Quest VII in Japan?

I remember it having atleast 2million pre orders. It sold through that in 3 days (which is how long it took Enix to ship that amont).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the presells for EBgames customers was over 500,000 a few months ago.

and that's JUST EBgames.

DopeyFish said:
the presells for EBgames customers was over 500,000 a few months ago.

and that's JUST EBgames.

NOT.

EBGames only accounts for ~10% of the US video game sales. While they do get a higher percentage of preorder sales, they aren't at 50% of preorders, not even close. And don't say that preorders are actually much higher than 1 million (although, they will continue to grow), as Microsoft would clearly trumpet this all over the place.

Also, at 10% of the industry, which is where they will settle into through the Holidays, let's say that sell twice their preorders, which would be 1 million. That would be 10 million copies of Halo 2 would be sold this year. Not going to happen.

That number is beyond ridiculous.

DarienA

So the gamespot article confirms the one million price is an over-guesstimate AND it confirms that the XBL arcade games WILL be priced between $10 and $20 each.

Hmmmm

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
NOT.

EBGames only accounts for ~10% of the US video game sales. While they do get a higher percentage of preorder sales, they aren't at 50% of preorders, not even close. And don't say that preorders are actually much higher than 1 million (although, they will continue to grow), as Microsoft would clearly trumpet this all over the place.

Also, at 10% of the industry, which is where they will settle into through the Holidays, let's say that sell twice their preorders, which would be 1 million. That would be 10 million copies of Halo 2 would be sold this year. Not going to happen.

That number is beyond ridiculous.

While I agree with you overall point, pre-orders are not evenly distributed throughout the retail spectrum. I don't think Wal-Mart or Target will have the same proportion of preorders as EB or GameStop. Likewise, Best Buy and Circuit City. Thus I would not be surprised to see EB have, say, 15-20% of preorders, though only 10% of total game sales.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
IJoel said:
Ditch your friends.

GAF on Xbox Live.

I kid, of course. ;)

speaking of which, has anyone set up a GAF clan? can you even do that yet at seventhcolumn?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Microsoft has decided to clear up this mess:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/06/news_6109802.html

"Whether or not this constitutes "the highest presale in the history of video games" is also disputed. Some reports put preorders for 2002's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City at more than 4 million, but Microsoft asserts that to its knowledge, the title "did not presell more than 1 [million] units." The discrepancy probably arises from the two different definitions of "preorder." One definition involves retailers' orders, while the other involves customers whose money has been put down in advance of a game's release."

Alcibiades

TekunoRobby said:

"Whether or not this constitutes "the highest presale in the history of video games" is also disputed. Some reports put preorders for 2002's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City at more than 4 million, but Microsoft asserts that to its knowledge, the title "did not presell more than 1 [million] units." The discrepancy probably arises from the two different definitions of "preorder." One definition involves retailers' orders, while the other involves customers whose money has been put down in advance of a game's release."
Still, 750,000 and the commercials haven't even started.

I say an easy 2 million+ sold in November alone at least.

1.5 million that first week.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
efralope said:

Oh I agree, this game is going to be an utter monster in sales. It'll get to be 1 million easily before launch, that I'm sure of.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
TekunoRobby said:

Microsoft asserts to it's knowledge? or is it supposed to be The Microsoft rep asserts to his knowledge?

efralope said:

It'll be interesting. San Andreas will only get 5 days of sales in October.

So, will GTA: SA have shot enough of it's load to let Halo 2 be the top seller for November?
GTA:VC essentially sold 1.5 million for each of it's first 3 months.

I think GTA:SA tops for October, Halo on top for November, & GTA:SA regaining the lead for December. Scary numbers.

Top Bottom