• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Black Mamba was banned for bringing up this news last night and now I see a 4 page thread without any problems.

What's up with GAF?

Remove logic from the equation and it will start to make sense.

bobafett

DaCocoBrova said:
Remove logic from the equation and it will start to make sense.

The question is: How to differentiate news and piracy? If a game like Halo 2 or Half Life 2 is leaked, this is an important piece of news, affects our industry and must be discussed within this board. We're not promoting piracy IMHO.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I don't know, are people expecting an amazing story in Halo 2 or something? I didn't find the story in Halo to be very deep or involving...sure it had a story, but it usually took a backseat to action and gameplay. It's different with something like MGS2, for example, a game heavily built around a story.

Not that I would like people to post spoilers from Halo 2 of course...just that I didn't know people took the story in Halo so seriously (yes I know there are books, but the first game still didn't have much of a story).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There should be an immediate freeze on any new account signups here, in order to prevent people registering dummy accounts and using them to post spoilers in thread titles. Any member who does, should be banned, of course, but if they're using a relatively new account, their IP address should be checked against all other members to try and determine if they have any other accounts here - to deter any existing members who might have double accounts. Just a suggestion..

Alcibiades

Teddman said:
Seriously though, it really sucks that it got leaked so fast. I was just talking to a friend (and fellow Halo-fanatic) about how the anticipation level is so high, I couldn't imagine a worker at a pressing plant not jacking a disc. No sooner said than...

Basically I either have to swear off forums for over three weeks, or resign myself to finding out a lot about the game unintentionally. Because word is going to spread like wildfire... I wanted to start playing the game and enjoy all the surprises. :(
before Episode III, like a few weeks before (it'll be hard because of E3 around the same time), I'm gonna tread carefully whenever I get on the web...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kiriku said:
I don't know, are people expecting an amazing story in Halo 2 or something? I didn't find the story in Halo to be very deep or involving...sure it had a story, but it usually took a backseat to action and gameplay. It's different with something like MGS2, for example, a game heavily built around a story.

Not that I would like people to post spoilers from Halo 2 of course...just that I didn't know people took the story in Halo so seriously (yes I know there are books, but the first game still didn't have much of a story).

People can spoil more than story - enemies, weapons, vehicles, scenarios etc. I want my Halo2 experience to be pristinely fresh. I haven't read any media on it since its first showing (the ORIGINAL video), and don't want to know anything about it till I play it myself.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy shit, there are a lot of GAF regulars that post at Opa (different names same personality, very easy to spot). There's a ton of pictures floating around and even crazier conspiracy theories about Microsoft leaking it out themselves. This is probably one of the largest piracy situations to happen. Everywhere I go (on the internet), everyone's talking about it and have links to download the torrents. It's pure insanity.
Remember Windows XP leak? Now that was crazy and potentially much more damaging to Microsoft. But having said that, I don't remember anyone being worried or feeling bad for Microsoft over it :\

One could say that Ico didn't have 'much of a story' (in that it wasn't too complex or too long or whatever) but I sure as f*** wouldn't like if anyone spoiled the ending for me, or anything of it's story for that matter. Story in Halo was integral to gameplay and interesting enough so that I wouldn't like that spoiled either.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
gofreak said:
People can spoil more than story - enemies, weapons, vehicles, scenarios etc. I want my Halo2 experience to be pristinely fresh. I haven't read any media on it since its first showing (the ORIGINAL video), and don't want to know anything about it till I play it myself.

Ah, OK...I see your point...definitely if you haven't seen anything since the original video. :p

goodcow

Marconelly said:
Remember Windows XP leak? Now that was crazy and potentially much more damaging to Microsoft. Bot having said that, I don't remember anyone being worried or feeling bad for Microsoft over it :\

But that's an OPERATING SYSTEM. Nobody buys those legally except governments, businesses, and Apple users. :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cimarron said:
:( For the love of god could we just set up a policy for the board that strictly forbids posting ANY spoilers of any kind on here. I'd hate to see a debacle like the on dopeyfish caused for mg: sol a few years back happen again.

what did i do for what? huh?!

SyNapSe

:(

I agree with the stopping new accounts. I don't want someone new spoiling the game.. :\ It doesn't really matter if the people who want to pirate the game do it 1 month early or the day of the release. I just don't want them ruining the game for the rest of us.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wasn't it kind of Bungie to starve the public of Halo 2 Single Player news and media for over two years, so that the pirates could have a fresh play experience?

I actually feel for Halo fans. I hope you guys can avoid the spoilers, like I couldn't with Sons of Liberty.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Marconelly said:
Remember Windows XP leak? Now that was crazy and potentially much more damaging to Microsoft. But having said that, I don't remember anyone being worried or feeling bad for Microsoft over it :\
I am not worried about the impact of this leak has to Microsoft. Sure it's going to do some sales damage since it was released so fucking EARLY but the poor guys at Bungie, they must be devastated.

Errr sorry I guess I should have been specific, this is probably the largest piracy act in the world of videogames. I'm pretty sure these regular movie releases as a whole is a much bigger problem along with the music and software. As a single event the XP leak probably ranks pretty high but other than that I honestly wouldn't know, I'm not into the whole piracy scene.

I honestly don't think there's going to be any problems related to spoilers in this forum. All threads and posts will be spoiler edited beforehand because I highly doubt anyone is going to want to incur the wrath of 200+ people.

For those of you who chose to download the leak: please be mindful about spoilers and use the spoiler tag.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Goreomedy said:
Wasn't it kind of Bungie to starve the public of Halo 2 Single Player news and media for over two years, so that the pirates could have a fresh play experience?

I actually feel for Halo fans. I hope you guys can avoid the spoilers, like I couldn't with Sons of Liberty.

Uh oh, people actually ruined the MGS2 storyline when it was released? That sucks, I better go into a media blackout starting now.

teepo

Grizzlyjin said:
Uh oh, people actually ruined the MGS2 storyline when it was released? That sucks, I better go into a media blackout starting now.

worse part was voodooextreme ruined the huge plot twist that happened early in the game to everybody before the actual game was released.

the idiot thought it was news worthy.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Exactly what Deepthroat said. There are too many entanglements and contracts in the way for that to happen. Retailers need a firm date for such a high profile title and any changes would wreak mass chaos in terms of shipment, manufacturing, product allocation, and marketing.

SantaC

I am not surprised. The big games from the west usually gets leaked nowadays. It's sad, but it's almost impossible to prevent.

bobafett said:
Black Mamba was banned for bringing up this news last night and now I see a 4 page thread without any problems.

What's up with GAF?
yeah, its a complete 180..

maybe it's cuz it's in the news section on other sites now..

i dunno..

puck1337

This is crazy. This could do significant damage just by virtue of how early it is and WHO plays these games. Halo fans aren't exactly technically stupid, and the temptation is probably going to hook a lot of them into downloading the thing.

EDIT: Obviously I don't mean to imply that this is going to hurt MS in any way. The game will still sell millions. It just might sell a few hundred thousand copies less.

PhatSaqs

Banned
lmao!

Cant help but wonder what is going through the minds of Bungie and MS right now...... :(. This has to be the biggest suck that ever sucked for them. How the fuck did this happen?

jenov4

Wowsers! This is insane, don't these 'pre-release' games usually beta's and have special identification serial numbers which can be traced back to the original source? Sorta like the way they do it for movies?

Chittagong

Gold Member
This makes me fucking angry. There are few houses in the world that put the dedication and care to their project, and manage their PR as carefully as Bungie. The whole media story has been incredibly well scripted for the biggest possible excitement.

Then everything is ruined only a month away from release because of a bunch of pirates. I guess the guys at Bungie are pretty irritated at Microsoft, too - they should have realized that this is the hottest property to steal and control the copies very strictly. Hell, it wouldn't have cost so much to fly ten armed guards from US to all of the factories pressing the discs.

Solid

What is Microsoft going to do about this?

There's no doubt in my mind that Microsoft has people tracking down whoever was responsible for this. I hope whoever it was thought that leaking the game was worth his job, I hear the Microsoft legal team employ some very effective ninja.
pirates-11.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
jenov4 said:
Wowsers! This is insane, don't these 'pre-release' games usually beta's and have special identification serial numbers which can be traced back to the original source? Sorta like the way they do it for movies?

Betas and release candidates do, but this news suggests that what was leaked was based on the gold master version - the one they use for mass production - i.e. no fingerprint.

SantaC

As I said this is usually a problem with western countries and the standard DVD format. This wouldn't happen with a big gamecube game because its unusual storage medium.

Gek54

SantaCruZer said:
As I said this is usually a problem with western countries and the standard DVD format. This wouldn't happen with a big gamecube game because of their unusual storage medium.

You dont say?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
m0dus said:
My thought is this--Reirom, or whatever the retarded fucker's name is , is French. He seemed to know a bit too much regarding WHEN the game would be leaked. My guess is, he either Is the jackass from the pressing plant, or he knows the jackass from the pressing plant. The dude posts with all the verbal grace and skill of a retarded monkey, but hey, it could happen.
Whoha stop there, don't insult the whole french nation by putting that moron Reirom with us. He's from Brazil, not France ! And how he "knew" is a mystery, or maybe just some luck (he got the date wrong by one day). This guy is the worst liar you will ever find.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
While this certainly sucks, I don't think it'll have any significant effect on sales 'cause 1) no live support 2) you need modded xbox to play 3) you need fat pipe and dvd burner to dl it.... so immediately, people who want to play on live will buy the game anyway and people with modded xbox's who *don't* care about live would probably not have bought the game to begin with.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SantaCruZer said:
As I said this is usually a problem with western countries and the standard DVD format. This wouldn't happen with a big gamecube game because its unusual storage medium.

No, it could still be leaked just as easily...

Fewer people would be able to take advantage of it, however...

This is much worse than the Doom 3 leak, which happened only after it had hit SOME retail stores. Also, in that case, there was at least some valuable information to be gained from early impressions (performance info).

This just sucks.

SantaC

dark10x said:
No, it could still be leaked just as easily...

Fewer people would be able to take advantage of it, however...

This is much worse than the Doom 3 leak, which happened only after it had hit SOME retail stores. Also, in that case, there was at least some valuable information to be gained from early impressions (performance info).

This just sucks.

uh that was my point. There are many gamecube games dumped on the net, but very few can actually make use of it. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
puck1337 said:
It just might sell a few hundred thousand copies less.
Not even, more in the 'thousands' less I'm sure.

Not implying that this is good. It's a damn shame for the guys who worked on it. Also I'm not implying people should fill Microsoft's pockets. They shouldnt. it should sell just enough to break even, and the rest should be given away for free. Or the price should be much, and much lower on all games. Profit is for the corrupt humans in this world that make the place worse for the poor.

That's just not how this corrupt world works yet though. If you can't pay for it. I think you may download it. If you can, then you're a thief. If you pay, your acting righteously, but you paid too much. :)

Razoric

Banned
Kobold said:

Not implying that this is good. It's a damn shame for the guys who worked on it. Also I'm not implying people should fill Microsoft's pockets. They shouldnt. it should sell just enough to break even, and the rest should be given away for free. Or the price should be much, and much lower on all games. Profit is for the corrupt humans in this world that make the place worse for the poor.

That's just not how this corrupt world works yet though. If you can't pay for it. I think you may download it. If you can, then you're a thief. If you pay, your acting righteously, but you paid too much. :)

Fucking douche.

Bob White

That's just not how this corrupt world works yet though. If you can't pay for it. I think you may download it. If you can, then you're a thief. If you pay, your acting righteously, but you paid too much.

???? huh?

This dude has been watching too much fucking anime or some shit.

Bregor

Kobold said:

The fact that you have a PC to post from proves that you have money to spend on luxuries, and are thus just as culpable as anyone of being greedy.

olimario

Banned
m0dus said:
The semi-official response from the bungie webmaster:

My thought is this--Reirom, or whatever the retarded fucker's name is , is French. He seemed to know a bit too much regarding WHEN the game would be leaked. My guess is, he either Is the jackass from the pressing plant, or he knows the jackass from the pressing plant. The dude posts with all the verbal grace and skill of a retarded monkey, but hey, it could happen.

Your guess is so far from the truth :lol
REIROM AM BRASIL

This is horrible that it leaked. You would think security at these pressing plants would be better than this.

dose

gofreak said:
There should be an immediate freeze on any new account signups here, in order to prevent people registering dummy accounts and using them to post spoilers in thread titles. Any member who does, should be banned, of course, but if they're using a relatively new account, their IP address should be checked against all other members to try and determine if they have any other accounts here - to deter any existing members who might have double accounts. Just a suggestion..

Jesus. It's only a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom