• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Passes 1.5 Million Pre-Orders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
So you can admit that each were equally impressive in their own right?
Sure... NES and PS1 are really the only truly diversified mainstream platforms in terms of audience I'd say in fact. GB as well, though GBC/GBA seem to have eroded that into a base younger in terms of focus and PS2 somehow seems to be less diverse than PS1, despite growing in userbase. "Gamers" are growing, but gaming isn't if you catch my drift, it's still trapped in that 16-24 male mindset. :/

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MightyHedgehog said:
According to articles and such, late '91 was a turning point for thanks in large part to the sports games emerging on the Gen and Sonic. However, it never seemed 'cool' and popular until around '92-93, IMO. And borghe, Sonic was released in '91.
doh, you're right on that.. my bad... I am right on the rest, just thinking that I played Sonic 2 for the first time at my buddy's house in 1991.. my bad...

seismologist said:
Also the preorder craze has grown since Wind Waker came out. Even Circuit City is taking Halo 2 preorders now. It's gone beyond the point of preorder to make sure you get the game. But now it's more like a business strategy where they put alot of pressure to get you to buy games that aren't even out yet.

I noticed that too.

got this in my email this morning:

Many of our program participants have asked if and when Halo 2 will be added to the Xbox Online Training Prize Shop. The answer to this question is "Yes. Halo 2 will be added to the program Prize Shop." With your help, Halo 2 has exceeded all presell expectations and recently surpassed 1.1 million presales alone! That is the largest presell number for any video game ever. Needless to say, excitement is high at retail.

As with any Microsoft product, our first commitment is to insure our valued retail partners and customers have access to inventory. Therefore, we need to insure ample supply is made available to our retail partners in order to meet this incredible consumer demand. That supply needs to be maintained on launch and through the Holiday.

Given this inventory commitment to our retail partners and consumers, the availability of Halo 2 in the Xbox Online Training Program Prize Shop is scheduled for a post Holiday release. This allows us to insure that our retail partners have sufficient inventory to meet customer demand on launch and through Holiday. Our current plan is to add the standard version of Halo 2 in the Prize Shop on Monday, January 3. The Halo 2 Limited Edition will not be offered in the Prize Shop as that inventory is reserved exclusively for our retail partners. If for some reason that date should change we will provide an update on the site.

We highly value your contributions to our success as well as your participation in the training program. Our commitment is to provide Halo 2 as a Prize Shop reward. We clearly understand many of you are excited to get hands on game play with Halo 2. That experience surely helps provide you with a solid understanding of the game for which to speak to customers. As you would expect, the online training site will provide numerous opportunities to enhance your knowledge of the game via modules and other Halo 2 resources.

Although Halo 2 won't be immediately available through the Prize Shop, we do have exciting Halo 2 sweepstakes opportunities planned for November. We will offer opportunities to win copies of the Halo 2 Limited Edition as well as some other fantastic Halo prize packages. More details on that will be shared through our regular sweepstakes communications.

Again, thanks for your tremendous support and efforts helping make Halo 2 the biggest video game launch ever!

The Xbox Online Training Team

DSN2K

I still say it wont beat the first game ;)

2005 xbox sales are going to drop off once the ball starts rolling.

Nah. Even if Xenon hype were to start Jan. 5th with daily advertisements and news in every corner of the VG news industry, people owning an XBOX would still get the game (and others) in normal numbers because they want to play games now. I just don't see the magical killing off of the X1 just because X2 is announced and being hyped. Eventually, though it'll take its toll...probably '06.

Subitai

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
"With phenomenal record-breaking video game pre-orders, “Halo 2” is poised to generate more revenue in 24 hours than day one sales of any full feature movie in entertainment history, including “Spider-man 2,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” and “Matrix: Reloaded.”

*sigh* I hate when PR compares games to movies. I recall when Gamecube came out, Nintendo issued a press release saying it was "HOTTER THAN POTTER" because Gamecube made more than the Harry Potter Movie did in its opening weekend.
I think it is a good comparison now. The lines are game retailers are going to be almost as big as there were for Episode one at movie theaters.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Nah. Even if Xenon hype were to start Jan. 5th with daily advertisements and news in every corner of the VG news industry, people owning an XBOX would still get the game (and others) in normal numbers because they want to play games now. I just don't see the magical killing off of the X1 just because X2 is announced and being hyped. Eventually, though it'll take its toll...probably '06.
Maybe you should take a look at N64 in 2001? :p

borghe

Subitai said:
I think it is a good comparison now. The lines are game retailers are going to be almost as big as there were for Episode one at movie theaters.
alright.. let's knock it off already... there were lines for Ep1 for a MONTH. do you see any lines for Halo 2 forming? I sure don't.. people were in line for 4 hours for Ep1 like two days after it came out.. are people going to be standing in line for Halo 2 on November 11?

sigh.......... when will the sillyness end?

jarrod said:
I said active lifespans (meaning until the successor platform is released). PS1 was not at 40 million in 2000, it managed those sales as a secondary market budget platform. NES managed around 30 million in the US from 1985-1990 iirc.

2000/12/31 79.61 million units (Japan: 18.22million/ USA: 30.30 million/ Europe: 31.09 million)

How can you say selling ten million more units in a single country isn't "active". If it's not then the Xbox and GC are dead, dead, dead.

Also, the 30M number for the NES is, I believe, LTD for the US, not simply as of 1990 (it sold quite a bit more afterwards as well).

Again, my point of contention was your statement was that the NES was the most successful console in the US. That's not true.

1) Playstation
2) NES (until Sony announces their shipments which were at ~29.5M as of 6/30)
3) PS2

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
2000/12/31 79.61 million units (Japan: 18.22million/ USA: 30.30 million/ Europe: 31.09 million)

How can you say selling ten million more units in a single country isn't "active". If it's not then the Xbox and GC are dead, dead, dead.

Also, the 30M number for the NES is, I believe, LTD for the US, not simply as of 1990 (it sold quite a bit more afterwards as well).

Again, my point of contention was your statement was that the NES was the most successful console in the US. That's not true.

1) Playstation
2) NES (until Sony announces their shipments which were at ~29.5M as of 6/30)
3) PS2
The 30 million for NES came from Sony's own powerpoint presentation a year or so ago so, I'm not entirely sure of the specifics though I do remember it was bracketed as 1985-1990 and their own figures showed NES ahead of PS1 for the 5 year cycles consoles were being compared in (PS1 being at 24M or 28M for 1995-2000 iirc). Also your 30.30 figure is for North America (not USA) and it runs after PS2 was introduced.... NES managed those 30 million before SNES came to market, though it does have a few months up on PS1 but that's somewhat balanced by the limited launch (full NES distribution didn't take place until 1986). NES aslo continued selling after 1990, in fact it was supported at retail until 1994 (though it obviously never got the budget push PS1 enjoyed, likely due to high media costs).

Also, I'm afraid you're mixing shipped figures with sold through (Sony's comparison was in terms of actual installed userbase). To get a fair comparison with your figures we'd need Nintendo's shipment numbers from 1990.

Overall it's likely...

01 PlayStation (1995-current)
02 Nintendo Entertainment System (1985-1994)
03 PlayStation 2 (2000-current)
04 Nintendo 64 (1996-2001)
05 Super Nintendo (1991-1998)

...though PS2 will eventually take the top spot. It'll also beat out NES for active lifespan installed base. I wish we could get region accurate GB & GBC figures too, GBA looks like it might be the most successful platform in the shortest timespan for the US (though DS will no doubt impact it's long term viability).

edit-on a sidenote, does anyone still have those presentations charts SCEI used (they also showed N64 ahead of SNES/Genesis in the US)? Or are they lost to old-GAF forever?

Pug

I have no idea what the pre-order numbers are in the UK but the Special Edition is sold out where every I go. In fact Game are speculating that some customers may not receive the special version as they are over subscribed.

jedimike

US Consoles sales in Millions

1985 8-bit Nintendo NES 36.3
Total 36.3

1989 16-bit Sega Genesis 18.5
1991 16-bit Nintendo SNES 20.0
Total 38.4

1995 32-bit Sega Saturn 1.4
1995 32-bit Sony PlayStation 30.4
1996 64-bit Nintendo N64 18.0
Total 49.8

1999 128-bit Sega Dreamcast 4.1
2000 128-bit Sony PlayStation 2 44.2 Projected
2001 128-bit Microsoft Xbox 18.4 Projected
2001 128-bit Nintendo GameCube 16.4 Projected

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
US Consoles sales in Millions

1985 8-bit Nintendo NES 36.3
Total 36.3

1989 16-bit Sega Genesis 18.5
1991 16-bit Nintendo SNES 20.0
Total 38.4

1995 32-bit Sega Saturn 1.4
1995 32-bit Sony PlayStation 30.4
1996 64-bit Nintendo N64 18.0
Total 49.8

1999 128-bit Sega Dreamcast 4.1
2000 128-bit Sony PlayStation 2 44.2 Projected
2001 128-bit Microsoft Xbox 18.4 Projected
2001 128-bit Nintendo GameCube 16.4 Projected
Holy crap... where'd those numbers come from?! Everything sounds about right (though PS1 should be higher by now)... Saturn sounds a little low too (at was about 12-14 million worlwdie, with only 6 million in Japan).

lochnesssnowman said:
The old art is better man. The black holds better against the background rather than the coloured in MC in the new box.

Agreed, I hadn't seen the new cover art but the old one gives it a statue-like quality that was pleasing to the eyes and looked somehow more commanding.

element

GTA:VC, Wind Waker, OoT, Mario 64, MGS2, FFVII, FFX, Mario Kart 64, Mortal Kombat 1, Sonic 2, WoW, DNF, Half Life 2, and EQ2 disagree with you. Not saying any one is more or less hyped than the others, but to quantitively say this is the most hyped game ever is kind of silly... :rolls:
None of these games have 6500 stores openning at 12:01 to sell it. If anything comes close it would be SMB3 and GTA:VC. Mario 64 is disqualified since it launched with a system, and no one was 'lining up' for Mario Kart 64. Your confusing gamers 'anticipation' with true mass media blitz.

Halo 2 has the largest 'hype' and mass marketing campaign around it. It is larger then some system launches.

jedimike

jarrod said:
Holy crap... where'd those numbers come from?! Everything sounds about right (though PS1 should be higher by now)... Saturn sounds a little low too (at was about 12-14 million worlwdie, with only 6 million in Japan).

It's in the Wedbush report I sent you a couple months ago ;)

PhatSaqs said:
And I havent heard of this, but he said that 7-Eleven is going to be selling the game. Anyone else hear this?

i was just in a 7-11 and there were signs up saying they would be selling halo 2, so yes, 7-11's will be selling halo 2!!!!

PhatSaqs

Banned
BILL CLINTON said:
i was just in a 7-11 and there were signs up saying they would be selling halo 2, so yes, 7-11's will be selling halo 2!!!!
That is fuckin insane. "Big gulp, big bite, and uhh... Halo 2 please".

"Halo sold 80-100K DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASONS. Otherwise it usually sold around 50K or so."

As has been pointed out, you are wrong. Halo is consistently selling about 90k per month.

August NPD: HALO 88,488

borghe

element said:
None of these games have 6500 stores openning at 12:01 to sell it. If anything comes close it would be SMB3 and GTA:VC. Mario 64 is disqualified since it launched with a system, and no one was 'lining up' for Mario Kart 64. Your confusing gamers 'anticipation' with true mass media blitz.
I stood in a line for FFX.

I stood in a line for GTA:VC.

I stood in a line for Sonic 2 (actually more like a crow d than an organized line)

WW was sold out. I had to wait a week for my month old pre-order.

Mario 64 had MUCH more "hype" behind it (and deservedly so). As for mass media hype, umm.. apparently you don't remember the COUNTLESS news articles and ne3ws segments about "revolutionizing mario" "Mario in the 3rd dimmension" "SGI and Nintendo married" etc.

are there tons of games with this much hype? no. are there games with more hype? I think it would be hard to quantify "hype".

My only point is that, as always, the xbots are acting like this is history in the making and it is the second coming.... now sure that is their right, just like it is others' rights to show that yes, this type of level of excitement HAS happened before in the industry.. just because you guys weren't around to see it doesn't mean it hasn't occured.

borghe

"Halo sold 80-100K DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASONS. Otherwise it usually sold around 50K or so."

As has been pointed out, you are wrong. Halo is consistently selling about 90k per month.

August NPD: HALO 88,488
nice "random" sampling out there.. I guess I can show Super Mario Sunshine selling 300K a month also...

There are MANY an NPD that I can remember halo selling 30-50K during...

jedimike

borghe said:
I stood in a line for FFX.

I stood in a line for GTA:VC.

I stood in a line for Sonic 2 (actually more like a crow d than an organized line)

WW was sold out. I had to wait a week for my month old pre-order.

Mario 64 had MUCH more "hype" behind it (and deservedly so). As for mass media hype, umm.. apparently you don't remember the COUNTLESS news articles and ne3ws segments about "revolutionizing mario" "Mario in the 3rd dimmension" "SGI and Nintendo married" etc.

are there tons of games with this much hype? no. are there games with more hype? I think it would be hard to quantify "hype".

My only point is that, as always, the xbots are acting like this is history in the making and it is the second coming.... now sure that is their right, just like it is others' rights to show that yes, this type of level of excitement HAS happened before in the industry.. just because you guys weren't around to see it doesn't mean it hasn't occured.

It IS history in the making. No other entertainment medium has ever generated as much money in one day as Halo 2 will. Halo 2 is set to gross over $75 Million in one day.

Other notable one day sales...

Star Wars IV = 1.7 Million
Empire Strikes Back = 13.6 Million
RotJ = 36 Million

JULY NPD HALO 92660

JUNE NPD HALO 100,016

Want me to continue to own you? Halo consistently sells this much. And recent sales of Halo are certainly relevant to whether Halo 2 can sell like this or better next year.

You said "Halo sold 80-100K DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASONS." I've just given you three months where it sold like that, not holidays. Halo 2 will likely sell like that too.

borghe

jedimike said:
It IS history in the making. No other entertainment medium has ever generated as much money in one day as Halo 2 will. Halo 2 is set to gross over $75 Million in one day.

Other notable one day sales...

Star Wars IV = 1.7 Million
Empire Strikes Back = 13.6 Million
RotJ = 36 Million
star wars and empire were released in a time where wide release movies were EXTREMELY uncommon and thus movies ran on fewer simultaneous screens and for longer periods of times (sometimes over a year in ep4's case) as opposed to the few months that they run now.

but nice try.

PhatSaqs

Banned
JULY NPD HALO 92660

JUNE NPD HALO 100,016

Want me to continue to own you? Halo consistently sells this much. And recent sales of Halo are certainly relevant to whether Halo 2 can sell like this or better next year.

You said "Halo sold 80-100K DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASONS." I've just given you three months where it sold like that, not holidays. Halo 2 will likely sell like that too.
Ouch...

i wonder if 7-11 will be getting the halo 2 shipments on the day of launch, or if they'll be getting it a day or two early.. if they get it early, that might be a good place to get the game before street date.

borghe said:

The difference is that the "Xbots" are psyched because their most anticipated game is about to hit the market. That being the case, it's pretty understandable that people want to treat this whole affair as something positive, even if it means exaggerating the circumstances a bit. The Xbots are driven by positivity, so that side I can understand. Can't say the same about your approach though. Yes, you have the right to show that this is indeed exaggerated, but what exactly is it that compells you to do that?

borghe

JULY NPD HALO 92660

JUNE NPD HALO 100,016

how about sales when halo was actually $50 instead of $30?

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
It's in the Wedbush report I sent you a couple months ago ;)
God damnit! I downloaded the fucker and didn't even end up reading it. :)

So in the end...

01 PlayStation 2 (44.2M Projected)
02 Nintendo Entertainment System (36.3M)
03 PlayStation (30.4M)
04 Super Nintendo (20.0M)
05 Sega Genesis (18.5M)
06 Xbox (18.4M Projected)
07 Nintendo 64 (18.0 M)
08 GameCube (16.4M Projected)
09 Dreamcast (4.1M)
10 Sega Saturn (1.4M)

...N64, Saturn & PS1 seem too low imo, given their worldwide totals though (N64~ 32-35M, Saturn~ 12-14M, PS1~ 100M+). Everything else sounds about right though, I'd guess PS1 is actually about 35-38M, N64 around 20-22M and Saturn around 2-4M.

PhatSaqs

Banned
BILL CLINTON said:
i wonder if 7-11 will be getting the halo 2 shipments on the day of launch, or if they'll be getting it a day or two early.. if they get it early, that might be a good place to get the game before street date.
I'll definitely be checking. There's a store right down the street from my house which I'll pass on my way to EB on the 8th.

borghe

AltogetherAndrews said:
The difference is that the "Xbots" are psyched because their most anticipated game is about to hit the market. That being the case, it's pretty understandable that people want to treat this whole affair as something positive, even if it means exaggerating the circumstances a bit. The Xbots are driven by positivity, so that side I can understand. Can't say the same about your approach though. Yes, you have the right to show that this is indeed exaggerated, but what exactly is it that compells you to do that?
I can understand that and agree with it.. what "compells" me as you say is seeing absolutely ridiculous statements like "this is bigger than star wars" or "no other game in the history of video games is this big" or similar wording or comparisons. people say "MAN I can't wait for this game, that's going to be awesome." and it is completely understandable..

borghe said:
I can understand that and agree with it.. what "compells" me as you say is seeing absolutely ridiculous statements like "this is bigger than star wars" or "no other game in the history of video games is this big" or similar wording or comparisons. people say "MAN I can't wait for this game, that's going to be awesome." and it is completely understandable..

well i dont think this is as big as star wars, i havent ever seen as much hype and mass market-ness and what not as I have for halo 2 in terms of videogames ever.

7-11 is friggin selling the game, has signs up on its front doors about it and special halo 2 cups! halo 2 had a movie trailer! halo 2 has the most pre-orders ever! this is one big game!

i also think this is a huge game in terms of older gamers, probably one of the most if not the most anticipated game in the 21+ aged gamers segment... but who knows, who cares.. this game is going to rule... i am playing halo 1 right now in anticipation.

The scary thing is that MS hasn't even started the main marketing blitz yet. The downside to this is that there is going to be an exceptional amount of random idiots creeping and crawling on Live. I honestly don't see myself playing Halo 2 on Live within the first few months of its release.

borghe

I love how you're changing your argument as I own you.

April NPD HALO 86,259
sigh.. it isn't changing the argument... let's see.. you are claiming halo has sold 80-90K or more a month since November of 2001... then to support your numbers you are showing how much halo has sold since it became $30... so, what about how many units it sold each month in 2002, or 2003 before the price drop?

My point is that no game, no matter how big it is, sustains 80-100K for long periods of time. a price drop will always raise sales, but they will fall again. I notice you aren't showing those months where halo sold 30-50K.. convenient I guess...

GhaleonEB

borghe said:
sigh.. it isn't changing the argument... let's see.. you are claiming halo has sold 80-90K or more a month since November of 2001... then to support your numbers you are showing how much halo has sold since it became $30... so, what about how many units it sold each month in 2002, or 2003, or 2004 before the price drop?

My point is that no game, no matter how big it is, sustains 80-100K for long periods of time. a price drop will always raise sales, but they will fall again. I notice you aren't showing those months where halo sold 30-50K.. convenient I guess...

Halo sold in that range for about 3 months - and rose back up to the 80k range without a price drop.

I really wish I had my full spreadsheet. You keep saying, "My point is that no game, no matter how big it is, sustains 80-100K for long periods of time," and guess what: Halo has done that - before and after the price drop. Get over it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
borghe said:
sigh.. it isn't changing the argument... let's see.. you are claiming halo has sold 80-90K or more a month since November of 2001... then to support your numbers you are showing how much halo has sold since it became $30... so, what about how many units it sold each month in 2002, or 2003, or 2004 before the price drop?

Ha ha, that sounds rather funny right there...

I mean, there are new games that are released that never even hit 50k lifetime sales...and you're almost acting as if doing 30-50k AT WORST during ONE month is a bad thing. :p

borghe said:

You are changing your argument. You said "Halo sold 80-100K DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASONS. Otherwise it usually sold around 50K or so."

You also said this: "2M for the holidays (which many are agreeing with) and then 1M next year, and that's INCLUDING January to August where even the biggest holiday titles with legs only sell 40-60K per month."

Don't give me bs about it being the price. Halo is OVERPRICED. It is selling well because it's Halo. Halo 2 will sell more than a million next year, and the recent sales of Halo are good evidence of this.

borghe

june 03
20.Halo (Microsoft, Xbox) [56,859]

August 2003
21. [XBOX] Halo: Combat Evolved – Microsoft – 47,856

will post more as I find them (cause no place has a good search function)

PhatSaqs

Banned
I think we have a candidate:

0816710384.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

GhaleonEB

Okay, my wife emailed me my spreadsheet trackin Halo's sales. I had this more fully fleshed out, but the file was lost when my computer crashed several months ago. This is what I could pull from NPD archives. May of 2002 is the first month that data became available.

Code:
	 Sales 	 Total 
May-02	 82,909 	 1,160,176 
Jun-02	 110,939 	 1,271,114 
Jul-02	 85,934 	 1,357,049 
Aug-02	 57,455 	 1,414,504 
Sep-02	 53,927 	 1,468,430 
Oct-02	 54,144 	 1,522,574 
Nov-02	 99,884 	 1,622,458 
Dec-02	 223,553 	 1,846,011 
Jan-03	 56,294 	 1,902,306

There is a gap in NPD when we hit a dry spell, but a LTD file came out in June 2003 - Halo was at 2,148,644 for an average of 61,584 unit each month.

I then have the monthly NPD and LTD from April of this year. Over the gap, the difference in cumulative totals averages out to 115,122 per month.

Code:
Mar-04	 Sales 	  Total 
Apr-04	 86,259 	 3,184,744 
May-04	 62,572 	 3,247,316 
Jun-04	 100,016 	 3,347,332 
Jul-04	 92,660 	 3,447,348 
Aug-04	 88,488 	 3,547,364

Can we be done, now?

Edit: A few stats.

Halo only sold under 80k per month nine of the 34 months it has been out for, if you count the averages over the data gaps. (not including the unknown September numbers)

PhatSaqs said:
That is fuckin insane. "Big gulp, big bite, and uhh... Halo 2 please".

HALO HAS IT'S VERY OWN WAL-MART EXCUSE!!

NPD DOES NOT COVER 7-11. OMG!! HALO UNDERREPRESENTED.

"Yeah, well that doesn't count 7-11 does it?" :D

borghe said:
june 03
20.Halo (Microsoft, Xbox) [56,859]

August 2003
21. [XBOX] Halo: Combat Evolved – Microsoft – 47,856

will post more as I find them (cause no place has a good search function)

I think these are the most relevant:
May-02 82,909
Jun-02 110,939
Jul-02 85,934

Since you said "2M for the holidays (which many are agreeing with) and then 1M next year, and that's INCLUDING January to August where even the biggest holiday titles with legs only sell 40-60K per month."
And this was Halo's sales in this very period after its launch. You are wrong.

borghe

I think these are the most relevant:
May-02 82,909
Jun-02 110,939
Jul-02 85,934

Since you said "2M for the holidays (which many are agreeing with) and then 1M next year, and that's INCLUDING January to August where even the biggest holiday titles with legs only sell 40-60K per month."
And this was Halo's sales in this very period after its launch. You are wrong.

first point.. while I was wrong that halo sold under 80K during off months, you were wrong in saying it sold 80-100K every month since it was released.

second point.. even if it sells 80-100K per month after the holidays, that still puts it at my roughly 1M in sales next year.

either way, I win :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom