• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Passes 1.5 Million Pre-Orders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
borghe said:
first point.. while I was wrong that halo sold under 80K during off months, you were wrong in saying it sold 80-100K every month since it was released.

second point.. even if it sells 80-100K per month after the holidays, that still puts it at my roughly 1M in sales next year.

either way, I win :D

Quote the part where I said it sold 80-100k every month since it was released. I never said that! You were wrong, don't drag me down with you. :D

GhaleonEB

borghe said:
first point.. while I was wrong that halo sold under 80K during off months, you were wrong in saying it sold 80-100K every month since it was released.

second point.. even if it sells 80-100K per month after the holidays, that still puts it at my roughly 1M in sales next year.

either way, I win :D

Let's see - according my sales data Halo cleared 80k 74% of the months it has been out. So we're 3/4 right - though I should note that I did point out that it dipped to the 50k mark for a few months.

Second point. You said Halo 2 would sell 1m in 2005. If sales are identical to Halo, it will still beat that. So you're 100% wrong on that one.

I'm happy with that score. :D

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GhaleonEB said:
Let's see - according my sales data Halo cleared 80k 74% of the months it has been out. So we're 3/4 right - though I should note that I did point out that it dipped to the 50k mark for a few months.

Second point. You said Halo 2 would sell 1m in 2005. If sales are identical to Halo, it will still beat that. So you're 100% wrong on that one.

I'm happy with that score. :D
saying Halo 2 sells 100K per month average in 2005, that would be 1.2M in 2005.. if you don't give me 200K clearly we can see where this relationship is heading...

GhaleonEB said:
Halo only sold under 80k per month nine of the 34 months it has been out for, if you count the averages over the data gaps. (not including the unknown September numbers)

Actually, it's 14 months (since May 2002)
Halo's #'s (that I have)
Code:
XBX	HALO	MICROSOFT

May-02 LTD 	1,160,176	
May-02 		82,909	
Jun-02 		110,939
Jul-02 		85,934
Aug-02 		57,455	(<80k)
Sep-02		53,927	(<80k)
Oct-02 		54,144	(<80k)
Nov-02 		99,884
Dec-02		223,553
Jan-03		56,294	(<80k)
Feb-03		53,458	(<80k)
Mar-03		57,756	(<80k)
Apr-03		46,125	(<80k)
May-03 		33,848	(<80k)
Jun-03 		55,151	(<80k)
Jul-03 		43,402	(<80k)
Aug-03 		47,856	(<80k)
Sep-03		45,845	(<80k)
Oct-03		36,547	(<80k)
Nov-03 		161,039
Dec-03		338,712
Jan-04		104,123
Feb-04		88,979
Mar-04		83,338
Apr-04		86,259
May-04 		62,572	(<80k)
Jun-04		100,016
Jul-04		92,660
Aug-04 		88,488
Aug-04 LTD 	3,528,480

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
Actually, it's 14 months (since May 2002)
Halo's #'s (that I have)
Code:
XBX	HALO	MICROSOFT

May-02 LTD 	1,160,176	
May-02 		82,909	
Jun-02 		110,939
Jul-02 		85,934
Aug-02 		57,455	(<80k)
Sep-02		53,927	(<80k)
Oct-02 		54,144	(<80k)
Nov-02 		99,884
Dec-02		223,553
Jan-03		56,294	(<80k)
Feb-03		53,458	(<80k)
Mar-03		57,756	(<80k)
Apr-03		46,125	(<80k)
May-03 		33,848	(<80k)
Jun-03 		55,151	(<80k)
Jul-03 		43,402	(<80k)
Aug-03 		47,856	(<80k)
Sep-03		45,845	(<80k)
Oct-03		36,547	(<80k)
Nov-03 		161,039
Dec-03		338,712
Jan-04		104,123
Feb-04		88,979
Mar-04		83,338
Apr-04		86,259
May-04 		62,572	(<80k)
Jun-04		100,016
Jul-04		92,660
Aug-04 		88,488
Aug-04 LTD 	3,528,480

Thanks for the correction, this fills some gaps in my file.

Still, I think the larger point here is that Halo has had legs unlike any other game out there - at least, that we have data on. Any ideas on how to measure that, SC?

borghe

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks for the correction, this fills some gaps in my file.

Still, I think the larger point here is that Halo has had legs unlike any other game out there - at least, that we have data on. Any ideas on how to measure that, SC?
and I've never disagreed with that.. hell, saying that most companies would like to see their games have 50K in a good month is telling the truth...

I am simply trying to support my 1M in 2005 prediction. Which SC's numbers COULD certainly lend themselves to.

element

borghe said:
star wars and empire were released in a time where wide release movies were EXTREMELY uncommon and thus movies ran on fewer simultaneous screens and for longer periods of times (sometimes over a year in ep4's case) as opposed to the few months that they run now.
but nice try.
Spiderman 2 holds the largest opening day gross in movie history at $44m, and Halo 2 should bring in more then that on day one.

borghe, you just keep trying and trying.

My only point is that, as always, the xbots are acting like this is history in the making and it is the second coming.... now sure that is their right, just like it is others' rights to show that yes, this type of level of excitement HAS happened before in the industry.. just because you guys weren't around to see it doesn't mean it hasn't occured.
Well for one, most of us WERE around for the games you listed. And again you are mixing gamers 'excitement' with all and all mass media marketing blitz. The only game to come close to Halo 2 will be SMB3, in that Nintendo marketed that game in every possible way. Were gamers excite about the games you listed? Yes, no one will debate that. But were those games covered and marketed by retailers to the extent of Halo 2, and the answer is no.

Again, the biggest way to gauge how big of a deal Halo 2 is that fact that 6500 stores across the nation will be open at 12:01 to start selling it. 1200 EB's alone. My local EB has only been open at 12:01 for system launches, but never a game.

GhaleonEB

borghe said:
and I've never disagreed with that.. hell, saying that most companies would like to see their games have 50K in a good month is telling the truth...

I am simply trying to support my 1M in 2005 prediction. Which SC's numbers COULD certainly lend themselves to.

Okay, so we agree on past data, and agree to disagree on the the future. Sound good? :D (aka, lunch break is over, gotta get back to work....)

borghe

element said:
Spiderman 2 holds the largest opening day gross in movie history at $44m, and Halo 2 should bring in more then that on day one.
Halo 2 will have to sell 880,001 on it's first day. I'll take that bet.

okay did some HALO 2 recon..

my local 7-11 dude said they were only going to get in *3* copies of Halo 2 for some reason, but more at a later date... he said they were still available to pre-order, and they'd most likely arrive on the 9th at 3AM, but thats because "his truck" shows up at 3am usually. so it will most likely vary around the country.. i dont think they'll have the LE, but I am not sure i didnt ask, he didnt seem to know much about the game or anything.

they had the halo 2 cups..

my local gamestop, i went to pay the remainder of my pre-order.. i am luckily in teh first batch, as they are now on batch 3 of LE's, and batch 2+3 wont get their game on the 9th.. they have something like 450 regulars pre-ordered and I think 750 LE's pre-ordered at this gamestop. there was a redbull truck there, and apparently they were making plans for the midnight madness at this gamestop, where the redbull peopel will be there at 9:30 to start handing out free redbulls, and setup some giant screen for some halo tournament and what not..

halo 2 launch shall rock the world.

Mrbob

7-11 is selling Halo2 ?!? :lol

I won't trust any NPD data from November 2004 on out unless the offer 7-11 data...!

shpankey

not an idiot
Congrats to Bungie. These pre-sales are well deserved. Bungie is a fantastic developer (loved them since Myth: TFL).

Can hardly wait till Nov. 9th to co-op with a friend and on that weekend I have a huge LAN party with a ton of buddies.

Carry on with your arguing and the Nbot damage controlling.

GhaleonEB

m0dus said:
I have no idea why, but for some reason, that;s a bit unnerving. :)
Ammo for later?

Nothing settles arguments like cold, hard data.

Except in here. Here, the arguments don't really start until NPD steps into the scene.

m0dus said:
Wait. I thought it was Xbot and Nintard. did I miss the changeover? DID ANYONE SEND ME A F@#$KING MEMO?

I thought it was Xbot and Nintendrone.

Oh well.

Hey borghe, didn't you get permabanned at IGN?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dorio said:
I hope Halo2 is nearly as entertaining as the Borg getting owned in this thread.

I dunno, some of the impressions are pretty bad...

For example...

so everyone i asked a machine of what it thought of halo 2
scrbrghfair: so do you think halo 2 sucks ass???
SmarterChild: Ya.

i mean im not here to put halo 2 down i think its a pretty good game
just asking others opinions like a machine
I've played it so i can say shit

That's some profound insight right there!

i have missed most of the whole halo sales per month argument..

but i dont see how HALO 2 could sell that much per money for as long as HALO 1 did.

HALO 2 will need to sell TONS right off the bat, this Christmas essentially.. and MS is hoping that this will push tons of people into the xbox fold, enjoying HALO1/2 and also onto xbox live.. xbox live will be their key feature of xenon, as once you are on xbox live and love it, hopefully you'll want to keep that user name and that type of online play and just move to the next better system with it.

but, if xenon comes out for Christmas 2005 in USA, that means halo 2 will blow its load this christmas, and sell well for every month next year, but what about in 2006, will it really be selling all that well? I dont see halo 2 pushing big numbers in 2006, 2 years later,... HALO however has had 3 years of tremendous sales.. it really was amazing run for that game. It could still be the better seller between the two as it will be $19.99 soon and get another year of large sales, especially all the people who are new Xbots and pickup HALO 2 this christmas and want to play the first.

GhaleonEB

BILL CLINTON said:
i have missed most of the whole halo sales per month argument..

but i dont see how HALO 2 could sell that much per money for as long as HALO 1 did.

HALO 2 will need to sell TONS right off the bat, this Christmas essentially.. and MS is hoping that this will push tons of people into the xbox fold, enjoying HALO1/2 and also onto xbox live.. xbox live will be their key feature of xenon, as once you are on xbox live and love it, hopefully you'll want to keep that user name and that type of online play and just move to the next better system with it.

but, if xenon comes out for Christmas 2005 in USA, that means halo 2 will blow its load this christmas, and sell well for every month next year, but what about in 2006, will it really be selling all that well? I dont see halo 2 pushing big numbers in 2006, 2 years later,... HALO however has had 3 years of tremendous sales.. it really was amazing run for that game. It could still be the better seller between the two as it will be $19.99 soon and get another year of large sales, especially all the people who are new Xbots and pickup HALO 2 this christmas and want to play the first.

Good points, though it all depends on when Xenon comes out and whether it will be backward compatible with XBox. (it had better be, dammit)

GhaleonEB said:
Good points, though it all depends on when Xenon comes out and whether it will be backward compatible with XBox. (it had better be, dammit)

its kind of a non factor for me as i will keep my current xbox anyways, since i wouldnt be able to transfer any of my saves/files over.. but for others i can see it being a deal..

but ill be getting xenon at launch no matter what basically..

be cool if it wasnt BC, if they released Halo1/Halo2/BungieClassics pack at launch for xenon.

Barnimal

Banned
ok. heres my take. US SALES ONLY! depending on how many copies the first run of halo 2 is, this will determine everything. *IF* they have 2 million copies ready by nov 9th, at the very least 1.5 million will sell on the very first day with the other .5 million coming in the following few days, ending that weekend. Thru thanksgiving, MS will rely on word of mouth and heavy marketing to sell both hardware and software. November will see 1.2million xbox system sales and an ADDITIONAL .5+ million sales of halo 2 bringing novembers total to 2.5 million.

For the month of december, xbox hardware will hit another 1.5 million and equal sales for halo 2. thats right. 1:1 with systems sold not all new buyers ofcourse but the numbers for the hardware and halo 2 will be very close. another odd thing we may see is the original halo selling 350k+ in either holiday month. by january 3rd 2005 halo 2 will have sold 4+ million copies *again* if pressing this many copies is possible.

borghe

Reanimated said:
Hey borghe, didn't you get permabanned at IGN?

no, I was banned twice at IGN. once for calling a guy a moron, even though like 5 others in the thread called him one also, and another time because the mod claimed I said I pirated Doom 3 Alpha even though he couldn't pull up the thread to prove it. So nope, no permaban.

as for owned, while I was wrong about it not selling 80-90K in non-holiday months, I fail to see where I was owned.. hmm.. what have I said in this thread.

a) Halo sold at <70K for many months. Check that, it did.
b) based on Halo's post launch numbers it is conceivable for Halo 2 to sell around 1M copies in 2005. again, looking at Halo's numbers AND considering Xenon is supposed to lauynch in 2005, this is possible. and even if you don't agree, it is just opinions and wild speculation.

so once again, gaffers show that the word owned is the most overused and incorrectly used term on the board... some of you guys are real special.

Celicar

Banned
Halo 2 will be one of the top selling games ever. Maybe the number one highest selling game. Xbox has so much steam now. Look. It is selling better than ps2 now. Everyone wants Halo 2.

Halo 2 got a 9.9 in some magazine. That is nearly perfect. Every little kid is going to want Halo 2 for Christmas. The xbox will probably be this year's hottest toy. Watch. Microsoft is in a great position now. Halo 2 rules!

borghe

Celicar said:
Halo 2 will be one of the top selling games ever.
without question.

Maybe the number one highest selling game.
ever? not unless it can sell like 16M to beat Super Mario Bros. Even this gen it will have to sell 5M to beat GTA3 and over 4.5M to beat Pokemon RuSa.

Xbox has so much steam now. Look. It is selling better than ps2 now.
PS2 was out for a year longer and the Xbox will NEVER catch up to the PS2's install base.

Halo 2 got a 9.9 in some magazine.
Official XBox Magazine if I am correct.

Every little kid is going to want Halo 2 for Christmas.
Guess it sucks that the game is rated M.

Halo 2 rules!
Apparently that is all this thread wants to hear.. So I am done.

HALO 2 RULES!

Does this help?

SARCASM
Celicar said:
Halo 2 will be one of the top selling games ever. Maybe the number one highest selling game. Xbox has so much steam now. Look. It is selling better than ps2 now. Everyone wants Halo 2.

Halo 2 got a 9.9 in some magazine. That is nearly perfect. Every little kid is going to want Halo 2 for Christmas. The xbox will probably be this year's hottest toy. Watch. Microsoft is in a great position now. Halo 2 rules!
SARCASM

I hope anyway. :D

Celicar

Banned
That is not sarcasm. I am offended. Halo is one of my favorite games of all time. And now Bungie has had all the time they need (3 years I believe) to make the best game ever. I read that Halo was rushed a bit and that's not a problem now. So what's to stop it from being the best game ever? Nothing.

jarrod said:
Maybe you should take a look at N64 in 2001? :p

Nah. Different situation. Nintendo, themselves, cut the cord entirely too early...especially for a console that had quite a large number of owners. Most third parties weren't exactly making a lot of money off of the system, thanks in large part to the high-price of cartridge production and to the sorta general Nintendo fan metality....only really give a shit about first party stuff and maybe, just maybe consider stuff that doesn't have Nintendo's name on it.

XBOX, in contrast, is a hell of a lot more appealing to third parties because of the much cheaper productions costs of the media, lower royalties/fees, and third party happy XBOX owners who actually buy games outside of the first party lineup in huge numbers. Additionally, it'll do well because of the general ease of PC conversions and development. MS is also going to keep supporting the system through Live and probably a decent amount of new titles here and there. I give the XBOX a healthy prognosis 'til '07, at the latest.

Two different situations, really.

Brannon

Way off topic but...

greenownedpurple.gif

on my computer, these guys are humping to the Mjolnir remix. And I mean right on the beat; it's spooky...

Celicar said:
That is not sarcasm. I am offended. Halo is one of my favorite games of all time. And now Bungie has had all the time they need (3 years I believe) to make the best game ever. I read that Halo was rushed a bit and that's not a problem now. So what's to stop it from being the best game ever? Nothing.

Oh my.

Teddman

For a lot of console FPS fans, (and there are a lot of them these days), Halo 2 probably will be the best game ever.

I mean, you can poke fun at anyone's pick for "Best Game Ever."

It was more a reaction to this being serious:

"Halo 2 will be one of the top selling games ever.Maybe the number one highest selling game. Xbox has so much steam now. Look. It is selling better than ps2 now. Everyone wants Halo 2.

Halo 2 got a 9.9 in some magazine. That is nearly perfect. Every little kid is going to want Halo 2 for Christmas. The xbox will probably be this year's hottest toy. Watch. Microsoft is in a great position now. Halo 2 rules!"

I don't understand this level of devotion to something you haven't played. I'm looking forward to GTA San Andreas a little more than Halo 2, but I care little about it being the best selling game ever, or if it helps the sales of PS2, or if a magazine gives it a 9.9. I just wanna play it. Same with Halo 2. And so many things are supposedly the best blank ever that I don't even think that way any more until I play for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom