• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Halo 2' sales top 'Grand Theft Auto'

Amir0x said:
Haha, awesome. I'm not fond of Star Wars either, least of all stupidly hyped up trailers that have no possibility of living up to expectations due to the non-talents of George Lucas.

:lol Don't even start here my friend. If you wanna take your underhanded hits at me, you can just tell it to me in our chat.

ourumov

MightyHedgehog said:
?

That's your opinion, sure. But it doesn't make any sense to me. This is nothing new and has been around since the NES and Atari 2600. Look at the early hype-monsters in SMB2 & 3. This kind of attention and massive visibility is important for the industry, in general...not just Halo 2, or the XBOX. To be accepted as a major medium of (commercial) art, like film, games needs to have big guns to open up the awareness on the industry, as a whole. The more people who play games, the more chances for people to see all of those smaller, more niche titles that deserve more sales. In general, the sales ratios will widen for all titles. How this is sad for the industry boggles my mind.
Your point of view makes sense. More users = more niche titles.
But mine does too. More users buying titles in a blind way = Argument in favour of year by year sequels.
Anyways, it's ok. I guess this thread wasn't the right thread to expose my kind of view.

ourumov said:
Sad...

These are the kind of things that make me lose faith in gaming...
both GTA SA and Halo 2 are excellent games. Whats the problem with the hype and good sales? I understand your concern about hyped *and* bad games like Matrix but...

I noticed you "damage controlled" your original post by saying it wasnt about Halo 2... ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
9.8 million vs 24.5 million? Thats a lot closer than I thought it was. Only about 2.5:1 in favour of PS2.

I think by Christmas 2005 it could be under 2:1, which would be impressive for a first gen effort from so far back. Xbox really has a head of steam up, and PS2 is just crusing right now.

ourumov

Project Midway said:
both GTA SA and Halo 2 are excellent games. Whats the problem with the hype and good sales? I understand your concern about hyped *and* bad games like Matrix but...

I noticed you "damage controlled" your original post by saying it wasnt about Halo 2... ;)
It was the only way to exit the thread alive... ;)

I was in fact skeptical about San Andreas not being just a simple iteration to 3/VC, with little additions. Actually, I believed this the entire time of development of the game. However, I saw people who had bought the title very enthusiastic about it so I bought it. Then I realized San Andreas was an awesome game that just shared the name with 3/VC. San Andreas adds a lot to the previous games:
-Better story.
-Bigger Areas.
-Better Graphics.
-New possibilities:
-New Vehicles.
-New Moves.
-New Situations (Girlfriend, Bands, Buying houses...etc).
Actually San Andreas is a lot of games packed into one.
Has hype helped it to sell a lot ? Sure. But I think it won't be fair to criticize its new additions since they are lot. And everyone who plays it will notice that the Rockstar guys pulled their ass to the limits. San Andreas feels like a worked title.
Now look at Halo 2 and think in how many time has it been in development and what offers and how it offers it. Think in hype and think in value and then look at sales. Who deserves more sales ?
I don't want to enter in a discussion about fairness in game sales since this won't bring to anywhere (we know there is no fairness there) but well...Just want to hear your opinion.

I played H2 yesterday, and I'll probably pick it up on my box when I get paid in a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty underwhelmed. Maybe its just not my type of game I dunno.

Either way, I prefer GTA: San Andreas by a rediculous margin.

ourumov said:
San Andreas feels like a worked title.
Now look at Halo 2 and think in how many time has it been in development and what offers and how it offers it. Think in hype and think in value and then look at sales. Who deserves more sales ?
I don't want to enter in a discussion about fairness in game sales since this won't bring to anywhere (we know there is no fairness there) but well...Just want to hear your opinion.

The quality and value of the experience isn't limited to the work put into the games that provide said experience. IMO, as both games rock much harder than their respective prequels, they both deserve much praise and sales-performance. Halo 2 will get more play by me than GTA:SA, if it hasn't already. It's a matter of opinion.

radioheadrule83 said:
I played H2 yesterday, and I'll probably pick it up on my box when I get paid in a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty underwhelmed. Maybe its just not my type of game I dunno.

Either way, I prefer GTA: San Andreas by a rediculous margin.

Quoted for truth

I like halo 2 fine enough that I bought the L.E. but in the end its just another fps rinse, repeat.

Vieo

We call that a spoiler, asshat.

It's no secret what Master Chief does at the end of the game. I still want someone to send me a screenshot though. PM me.

Is Foe Hammer back in HALO2? I think that was pretty lame how they killed here off and never showed her face. Next to the commander, she was like the game's 4th or 5th main character.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ourumov said:

I was in fact skeptical about San Andreas not being just a simple iteration to 3/VC, with little additions. Actually, I believed this the entire time of development of the game. However, I saw people who had bought the title very enthusiastic about it so I bought it. Then I realized San Andreas was an awesome game that just shared the name with 3/VC. San Andreas adds a lot to the previous games:
-Better story.
-Bigger Areas.
-Better Graphics.
-New possibilities:
-New Vehicles.
-New Moves.
Has hype helped it to sell a lot ? Sure. But I think it won't be fair to criticize its new additions since they are lot. And everyone who plays it will notice that the Rockstar guys pulled their ass to the limits. San Andreas feels like a worked title.

Not that it matters, but you realise that Halo 2 has all of these things aswell

-Better story.
-Bigger Areas.
-Better Graphics.
-New possibilities:
-New Vehicles.
-New Moves.
-New Situations (Playing as covenant).

To be honest, imo the Live play/stats in Halo 2 alone equals and then betters your list of improvements in the latest GTA.

It's easy to forget that theres never been anything like it on home consoles.

It's time to stop living the lie, Halo 2 is just as great as GTA:SA, and it deserves every single sale it gets.

Seth C

Vieo said:
It's no secret what Master Chief does at the end of the game. I still want someone to send me a screenshot though. PM me or email it to vieo@aol.com

Is Foe Hammer back in HALO2? I think that was pretty lame how they killed here off and never showed her face. Next to the commander, she was like the game's 4th or 5th main character.

For people that haven't read spoilers or reviews it sure as hell would be. Point is, if it's questionable, spoiler tag it, or at least warn someone that a potential spoiler is coming. I didn't know about it, despite the fact that I own both games and have read the first book. That is, until you decided to be an asshat in a thread that had nothing to do with Halo 2 storyline or spoilers. You see, I had avoided such threads intentionally, until I had time to finish the game.

belgurdo

Banned
Thank the gods I actually buy, play, and enjoy games instead of just hanging on the forum all day acting like I'm a jaded fucker and wishing that certain titles would fail so that I could gloat over a certain percentage of the forum and spew my crazy thoeries all over the place

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
belgurdo said:
Thank the gods I actually buy, play, and enjoy games instead of just hanging on the forum all day acting like I'm a jaded fucker and wishing that certain titles would fail so that I could gloat over a certain percentage of the forum and spew my crazy thoeries all over the place

Erm....Fable?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
What sucks about this is that publishers will think that they need to do more of the same to get big sales. I'm tired of FPS' and 3rd Person sh!t in general. I was going through all my PS2 games, and they're mostly racing or 3rd person action games.

PhatSaqs

Banned
PR hype alone cant do it for just any game tho. The fans of the original, more than anything, are what drove Halo 2 to be such a monster.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What sucks about this is that publishers will think that they need to do more of the same to get big sales.
On a flipside, they also may think that original properties can sell large numbers (even when they are not made by Nintendo, heh). Both GTA and Halo are not based on any license.

ourumov

segasonic said:
Will this help me to comprehend you and your posts ?

Seriously...I don't understand some of you. Why the fuck do you have to insult people that thinks different than you ? Even if somebody is saying a stupidity, he has the right of saying it whereas he is not attacking nobody. I think it's a matter of different ways of being raised...

Prine

Banned
ourumov said:

-Better story.
-Bigger Areas.
-Better Graphics.
-New possibilities:
-New Vehicles.
-New Moves.

You hate that quality games sell on hype? Even though its warrented? Even though people are having a fucking great time with it? Who the fuck are you to say what criteria needs to be met to justify sales

Go on, leave gaming, its always going to be this way. You gamers are like cancer, with all your pure gaming attitude

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
but...but... Take Two purposefully sent short GTASA shipments to North America on purpose! They wanted less sales, I tell you![/sonycowboy]

;) Still, SC is probably right, but that doesn't change the shock factor for the press 'cause they care more about the here and now and, more importantly, all this Halo 2 extra press may even pique the interest of a bunch of people who wouldn't have given it another look otherwise.

akascream

Banned
ourumov said:
Sad...

These are the kind of things that make me lose faith in gaming...

Why? I am encouraged that people would prefer a well designed fps over beating grandma with a lead pipe.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
ourumov said:
I lose faith in the gaming that comes from the hype and just this: the hype. My opinion of course.
This post wasn't against Halo 2 but against the crapload of games that just sell because of hype. And this include GC, PS2 and GBA titles. When you receive a new iteration that barely improves/adds something to the previous yet it sells more...well...I don't like this nor I think it's good for the gaming industry.
Other examples of this: Mario Party games, most EA sport franchises, etc. You know what I mean.
Another thing is I don't like Halo, which is true, but as I said the post wasn't against Halo 2 sales.

You're an idiot. Sorry, but every game that sells has a certain measure of hype. But Halo become the monstrosity that it did through the community. What other games have inspired things like the warthog jump video or Red Vs. Blue? What about the xbox tunneling software? XBConnect came straight out of an effort to allow Halo to be played over the internet. Go browse HBO and you'll get an idea why the community likes and rabidly wants more of this game. People who can't accept that certain people may actually like a big-name game because of its merits need to get out more.

SaitoH

I was just interviewed for local news about the Halo 2's first day sales. Man, I've been interviewed about 4 times this year.

^w^

Shompola

Banned
ourumov said:
Will this help me to comprehend you and your posts ?

Seriously...I don't understand some of you. Why the fuck do you have to insult people that thinks different than you ? Even if somebody is saying a stupidity, he has the right of saying it whereas he is not attacking nobody. I think it's a matter of different ways of being raised...

Reread what you have said in the thread and you will understand why people are calling you an idiot.

ourumov

Nah Shompola, I understand why they are calling me idiot...They think it's an stupidity...ok. They have the right to think that. What I am saying is that there is no need to insult people if you disagree with them. Anyways, they don't understand this.

It's ok. If they are happy this way...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think what ouromov is trying to get at is that the disproportionate amount of attention that games like Halo2 and GTASA get is to the detriment of other games of the same quality. The industry can't mobilize these same gamers that run out to buy Halo2 and GTASA in droves to do the same for other top quality titles. So its a bittersweet victory, at best. And then, when you look over at the expose in the "EA Wife" thread on the amount of themselves that developers generally pour into these games, it only becomes all the more discouraging to see that there isn't a more even distribution of the wealth on offer.

GhaleonEB

All I'm gonna say is this:

There is one test to really tell how good a game is: Time. If people are still playing, and buying, a game several years after it comes out, then one simply cannot dismiss it, nor does it need defending.

Halo started with a relatively modest kick-off and became a cultural phonmenon because it is a brilliant game. Halo 2 is doing well because the people who own Halo love it so. Halo 2 is better than Halo in every respect.

Will it hold up as well in the long term? Time will tell.

davis

Goldeneye on N64 is still the console FPS king in terms of legs what is it at like 8 million, so well see if Halo2 can top 8 million and claim most popular console FPS of all time. GE wasn't even my favorite N64 game but I think ppl forget how popular that game was. With this start and the marketing and reviews Halo2 really has no excuse not to top that easily I mean the last 2 GTA games have.

Mrbob

davis said:
Goldeneye on N64 is still the console FPS king in terms of legs what is it at like 8 million, so well see if Halo2 can top 8 million and claim most popular console FPS of all time. GE wasn't even my favorite N64 game but I think ppl forget how popular that game was. With this start and the marketing and reviews Halo2 really has no excuse not to top that easily I mean the last 2 GTA games have.

I think Goldeneye was around 5-6 million. Not 8 million. Anyway, even 6 million will probably be hard to top. It all depends on Xbox 2. If it is backwards compatible with Xbox I continue to see Halo 2 sales go on the path of the original: Where they still sell a great amount every month. If Xbox 2 isn't backwards compatible I don't think Halo 2 will have the same sustaining selling power of the original. It'll do more than Halo overall but Xbox Next is the key to seeing is Halo 2 sales sustain over a long period of time.

Master Z

akascream said:
I am encouraged that people would prefer a well designed fps over beating grandma with a lead pipe.

Why does it even matter to you who likes to play what? I certainly don't care what games other people purchase, the only thing that matters is the games I like to play. People!! Who cares if a game that YOU don't like sells well?

Zer0

Banned
iam with orumov in this one

dont get me wrong i liked halo2 a lot,but i found the single player experience a bit lacking on innovationg ( almost t the same enemies,only two earth levels,etc) 3 years seems a lot of time to add more things

Willco

Hollywood Square
What's funny about a game that has ALREADY sold 2.5 million copies and selling millions more?

OH NO TEH HALOS DID NOT SELL 55 MILLION XBAWKS = FAILURE LOL OMG

evil ways

Willco said:
OH NO TEH HALOS DID NOT SELL 55 MILLION XBAWKS = FAILURE LOL OMG

There you go, you answered it yourself.

There'll be trolling, damage control, whinning, bitching and probably bannings, from all fanboy camps.

Miburou

BTW, if these figures are exact ($125M in sales, 2.4M copies sold, and each copy at $50 for regular edition, $55 for collector's edition), then that means that they sold 1.4M regular edition copies of Halo 2 and 1M Collector's Edition copies of Halo 2.

Che

Banned
Project Midway said:

No on both games. They're both freaking uninnovative and after one point boring. GTA:SA is the usual GTA game and Halo is the usual super-overhyped FPS. I can bet my life that if it had been released on PC and not xbox it would be another good FPS. But with all the Microsoft hype and the blind fanboys of console gaming, it's now supposed to be the revelation of gaming. Guess what. It isn't. What I think is that on both games the reviewers were so freaking scared to rate them lower than 90% because the fanboys wouldn't stop attacking them, kamikaze style, till hell froze over.

Shompola

Banned
Che said:
No on both games. They're both freaking uninnovative and after one point boring. GTA:SA is the usual GTA game and Halo is the usual super-overhyped FPS. I can bet my life that in it had been released on PC it would be another good FPS. But with all the Microsoft hype and the blind fanboys of console gaming it's supposed to be the revelation of gaming . Guess what. It isn't. What I think is that on both games the reviewers were so freaking scared to rate them lower than 90% because the fanboys wouldn't stop attacking them kamikaze style till hell froze over.

Uhh ok :lol

Seth C

Che said:
No on both games. They're both freaking uninnovative and after one point boring. GTA:SA is the usual GTA game and Halo is the usual super-overhyped FPS. I can bet my life that if it had been released on PC and not xbox it would be another good FPS. But with all the Microsoft hype and the blind fanboys of console gaming, it's now supposed to be the revelation of gaming. Guess what. It isn't. What I think is that on both games the reviewers were so freaking scared to rate them lower than 90% because the fanboys wouldn't stop attacking them, kamikaze style, till hell froze over.

So they had to give them 100s? Not 90, or 95, or 97?

Top Bottom