• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Korosenai

I love how Larry has brought up Ranks twice now.

Not really buying that explanation either. At least he did clarify why we can't see them, though.

Beckx

So has 343 ever officially explained why there's no ranking system? Frankie has made a few posts about how Halo 3 system isn't ideal but from what I know all 343 has said about ranks it that they're not in, not why they're not in.

The official answer is out - promote teamwork.

I don't agree with it, but there you go.

Zoolader

David Ellis-

"We don't currently have visible ranks in the game"

So does that mean possible TU change if enough backlash?

This stream is awesome, hoping they decide to put add some game audio.

4IItJl.jpg

So has 343 ever officially explained why there's no ranking system? Frankie has made a few posts about how Halo 3 system isn't ideal but from what I know all 343 has said about ranks it that they're not in, not why they're not in.
Haha, he must have heard you...just answered this.

Raide

Haha skill rankings, David being put on the spot. Nice job MN.

Yeah, nice to him to drill it home and also to get a response. I am sure people won't like the reason behind it but the logic of getting people to play as a team and think about their skill and not just watch numbers.

Overdoziz

Banned

Wait, I'm not watching the stream but that's what David said?
Because of all my what

He seriously said that? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my lord...

He is right though, people would just boost and find ways to hack their way to 50 before. I remember in Halo2 or 3 (don't remember which) id face top level guys and id destroy them since they just boosted their way there. Its kinda useless when its used like that.

TrounceX

well my bad then. I don't know if you clarified that before but if you did I didn't see it.

Surely you can understand how we'd give someone crap if they had actually done that though

I actually don't remember. I think I tried to clear that up, but you guys wouldn't have anything of it so I just sat back and watched the show.

Raide

Wait, I'm not watching the stream but that's what David said?
Because of all my what

Yup. He said it was to encourage teamwork based upon players skill and stop players just watching numbers as an indicator of skill. He mentioned the fact some people boosted the number, so it was not a real indicator.

Kud Dukan

He is right though, people would just boost and find ways to hack their way to 50 before. I remember in Halo2 or 3 (don't remember which) id face top level guys and id destroy them since they just boosted their way there. Its kinda useless when its used like that.

I also remember a lot of issues with people intentionally throwing matches to make their skill level drop. That was always incredibly annoying.

Striker

Fucking really? That was one of my favorite gametypes, what reason is there to take it away?
Assault was my favorite in the series as well, at least the Halo 2 version. Reach's version wasn't horrible - I'm not a fan of diffusing a bomb, but whatever. It was playable since it wasn't instant arm garbage. But yeah, it's a bummer the premier 4v4/5v5 gametypes are basically CTF, Oddball, KotH, and Extraction (which seems okay but time will tell). Lots of good ones are out.

mhi

Why don't they just admit that the reason for a lack of visible ranks is the possibility of alienating a part of the population ?

"Why is my rank low "
"Do I suck "
"Its not me it's the game, FUCK THIS GAME"

I say they include it in a playlist, like Slayer Pro and see how it does.

Beckx

I also remember a lot of issues with people intentionally throwing matches to make their skill level drop. That was always incredibly annoying.

If rank is the most important element in setting up matches, then people will still de-rank, whether it's visible or no.

If rank is the most important element in setting up matches, then people will still de-rank, whether it's visible or no.

Yes but they will by playing the game normally, not by noticing how close they are to 50 and intentionally try to drop. If you cant see it, you dont know when to drop it. So youll just play. Thats the point of hiding it.

Top Bottom