• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

JBKapnMorg

Neo Member
Finished the campaign last night and
I was surprisingly disappointed with it. It was very bland IMO, I mean sure new enemies are great, but I expected more out of both the Prometheans as well as the Covenant. Not to mention insanely short of a story.

I also hope I'm not the only one in saying I'm disappointed with the amount of game types available in multiplayer. I seriously hope the release more, I'm still wondering where Grifball is. I'm somewhat disappointed with this release.

JdFoX187

Banned
How close does this campaign come to CE?

Halfway through the game and it captures a feel of exploring an alien world and a new, interesting enemy foe that's very interesting. It doesn't quite live up to Combat Evolved yet, but is pretty close. Certainly better than the piece of shit phoned-in excuse of a game that Halo 3 was. But I have to admit, seeing
the Didact finally be revealed, and looking like a goddamn humanoid Cloverfield monster with his terrible B-movie speech
was a little disappointing.

Falagard

Finished the campaign last night and
I was surprisingly disappointed with it. It was very bland IMO, I mean sure new enemies are great, but I expected more out of both the Prometheans as well as the Covenant. Not to mention insanely short of a story.

I also hope I'm not the only one in saying I'm disappointed with the amount of game types available in multiplayer. I seriously hope the release more, I'm still wondering where Grifball is. I'm somewhat disappointed with this release.

I disagree completely. The landscapes were great, the encounters were great, the vehicle sections were great, the story was worlds better than previous games.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Curious: I didn't preorder, rather just now purchased at Best Buy. Do i get any skins/armor exclusive to Best Buy, still? Or only preorders get that stuff?
Sometimes BB will have pre-order bonuses that are actually packed in the case (I'm thinking of the Classic Sub-Zero costume with Mortal Kombat), and those copies can be found on the shelf after release. But, if there's nothing in the case, then I'm pretty sure their bonuses were indeed only for pre-orders (which is more often than not the case).

JBKapnMorg

Neo Member
Oh, it's not the landscapes, or the vehicle sequences that I have a problem with, those were fine, but the overall story was simply confusing at parts. There wasn't as much action as previous games, and half the storyline was "destroy those generators" or "push that button".

Green_cortana.jpg

I miss the Cortana that changed colors when she was pissed.

Seriously that was cool.

K.Sabot

Played a lot of BTB today and man...

Loadouts just absolutely ruin that playtype.

Everyone with plasma pistols is just... smh man.

They need to reconfigure their game types to include a classic Halo mode or I'm never touching Big Team anything ever again.

The Promethean grenade feels so useless in SP that it's like if Flood had a grenade to pick up that only bursted in popcorn and attacked you. It sure strips my shields in a flash, but I can't get much use for it against enemies despite how plentiful they are.

So I finally got my preordered LE from Amazon, yay..

Meanwhile everyone else is like level fucking 50 in MP and has finished campaign on legendary already. God dammit.

Woorloog

Banned
Green_cortana.jpg

I miss the Cortana that changed colors when she was pissed.

Seriously that was cool.

Actually, this color was due to that terminal's projectors projecting her as green, not due to her mood.
When she is first inserted to the Control Room terminal, she is green even though she is happy at first.

The Promethean grenade feels so useless in SP that it's like if Flood had a grenade to pick up that only bursted in popcorn and attacked you. It sure strips my shields in a flash, but I can't get much use for it against enemies despite how plentiful they are.

I found it pretty okay in campaign, placement is tricky though.
In MP? Still trying to use it but not much point in it, far too weak. Its per "tick" damage that is, overall it deals nice amount of damage but... too slow, too small an area.

Havok

Halfway through the game and it captures a feel of exploring an alien world and a new, interesting enemy foe that's very interesting. It doesn't quite live up to Combat Evolved yet, but is pretty close. Certainly better than the piece of shit phoned-in excuse of a game that Halo 3 was. But I have to admit, seeing
the Didact finally be revealed, and looking like a goddamn humanoid Cloverfield monster with his terrible B-movie speech
was a little disappointing.
I'm pretty surprised that you think it captures that feel, honestly. I know where you guys are in the campaign, this doesn't go any farther than that (the end of mission 4):
I feel like the Chief and Cortana are given almost no breathing room at all, not past the second mission. You're alone for a little while, which is great. That part matches the tone I was hoping the game would have, but then by the middle of mission 3 you're investigating the Infinity's signal and you're no longer exploring, but racing to a goal. Then, of course, the biggest ship in the galaxy shows up with all your buddies and you're immediately just being ordered around. I think a game set almost entirely in a setting where the Chief and Cortana are alone, dealing with Cortana's rampancy, trying to find a ride out of there, getting hints that something sinister and foreboding (the Didact) is just waiting for them to find it, eventually unleashing it near the end of the game, and keeping the introduction of the Infinity back until that point would have made for a better experience tonally. I was looking in a way for a tone of desperation or powerlessness from both Chief and Cortana, but instead it was as much "push forward!" as past games have been.
I'll be very interested to see how you feel by the end of the game.

You know, I mentioned earlier that this game is pretty much "best-of Halo", in terms of the grab bag of levels we got. However, it's been a while since I played the other Halo campaigns - were they (very minor gameplay spoilers below)

all Button Quest 64? It really was sort of funny how every objective was something Chief had to jam his finger onto.

Actually, this color was due to that terminal's projectors projecting her as green, not due to her mood.
When she is first inserted to the Control Room terminal, she is green even though she is happy at first.

Oh I could've sworn her colors sometimes changed when she got angry in that game but whatever point is it looks cool.

Also bright purple Cortana> boring blue Cortana

Jac_Solar

Started playing the SP portion of the game recently, and the ammo management is still as bad as in the past Halo titles. In general, a single enemy has a lot of HP and/or even shields, while every gun in the game has relatively very few bullets. You're constantly either looking for ammo (rarely.) or new guns (usually.), and rarely finding your favorite/preferred weapon -- it's so extreme that it's basically everything that you do in a regular session. It's not fun at all. And I'm just playing on medium difficulty.

I think the games would have benefitted a great deal with a gun-experience system - the more you use a weapon, the more experience you get, and the more ammo it will hold. Either that, or a skill point system where you can choose what you want to raise.

Trey

Started playing the SP portion of the game recently, and the ammo management is still as bad as in the past Halo titles. In general, a single enemy has a lot of HP and/or even shields, while every gun in the game has relatively very few bullets. You're constantly either looking for ammo (rarely.) or new guns (usually.), and rarely finding your favorite/preferred weapon -- it's so extreme that it's basically everything that you do in a regular session. It's not fun at all. And I'm just playing on medium difficulty.

Enemies like to use the guns that destroy them, and there are always crates of weapons around the battlefield.

Woorloog

Banned

I think the games would have benefitted a great deal with a gun-experience system - the more you use a weapon, the more experience you get, and the more ammo it will hold. Either that, or a skill point system where you can choose what you want to raise.

What? I played the game on Heroic and did not have problems with ammo (and never had in previous Halos, certain missions on Legedary notwithstanding). Well, maybe once or twice but that was due to me insisting on bad combination despite knowing what i would really need.
Halos enemies have always had a lot of health but that is a must for their differences to show. If you could just kill them right away, they'd all be the same (Grunts are meant to be killed with headshots). And this also makes headshots far more important.
Halo 4's enemies are the weakest since Halo 3 though, but Halo 3's enemies are weaker still.

What you suggest wouldn't fit Halo at all. Some action RPG, sure, not Halo. The games should, however, demonstrate proper use of certain weapons, namely Noob Combo (Plasma Pistol overcharge and then headshot), a combo that is still the king.

Finished the campaign and all 5 portions of the first Spartan Ops chapter. Loved it. Can't wait to go back through on Heroic and then Legendary. I suck at the multiplayer, but damn is it fun on the big levels.

This ranks up there with CE as the best in the series and has a similar feel to it since it feels new (but familiar) because it changed hands, and it's obviously in very good hands now. Minor complaints about some audio issues (warthog sounds bad, audio in cutscenes sounds like it's being pumped through a tin can 2 miles away). Halo remains the best space shooter, and I'm excited to see what this team delivers on new hardware.

Yeah me too. I just found out there were mechs in the game this past monday, lol

Not knowing about the new abilities made for a pretty insane slash hilarious first few games with my friend. The first time I saw a guy teleport to escape my bullets I was like "Oh God, these bastards can teleport! I repeat, enemy has teleportation tech! This isn't a battle, it's a slaughter! Abort! Everyone abort NOW!!"

Yeah I'm an assclown. Feels good.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Anyone down for some War Games? I'm game for anything but Regicide really.

Message or invite Nightmare22m.

This has probably already been answered but where in Waypoint can you watch the unlocked Terminal videos? The Waypoint UI is a mess.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just started this up finally. Just wanted to say the game has vastly exceeded my expectations for how a Halo game should look. This is easily one of the best looking console games ive ever seen. Even compared to PC stuff this is hot. Even has some form of AA going.

Woorloog

Banned
Just started this up finally. Just wanted to say the game has vastly exceeded my expectations for how a Halo game should look. This is easily one of the best looking console games ive ever seen. Even compared to PC stuff this is hot. Even has some form of AA going.

FXAA.

LastNac

Overall, it didn't feel like coming home. It felt like someone built a great replica, but it still felt foreign and a little hollow.

pushneim

Banned
I'm really glad I picked this game up. It's gorgeous, fun and I'm truly enjoying the MP as well. Can't wait to finish the SP :)

MormaPope

Banned
After playing Halo 4 for the past day, I must say this is easily the most accessible and well paced Halo ever. I played split-screen with a couple of friends that haven't played Halo for the past couple of years and we all had a blast. Multiplayer an co-op is easy to pick up and play, getting really good though still takes skill.

The campaign is incredible, the AI isn't doesn't act like menacing robots, they act like a species of their own, my friend pointed out they don't speak in English blurbs, they speak in their own language. After all the QTE bitching I was expecting QTE's on every mission, but they have been sparingly used, and they were used in fun ways. Played on Heroic difficulty and I'm having a lot of fun so far.

Other impressions:

- Weapon and vehicle sounds are finally reasonable and gritty, anyone complaining about sound design during gameplay seems delusional to me. Soundtrack is also gritty and makes me feel like a badass.

- Speaking of badass, 343 studios has made a game where being Master Chief is really satisfying. The intro CGI sequence was a more realized vision of chaos and war than any sequence in Bungie's Halos. Every cutscene with Chief you hear his heavy steps, you see and feel like Master Chief is a hulking warrior.

Overall, Halo 4 is an evolved Halo experience. GOTY for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Campaign spoilers for anyone else that's reading
Cortana's death. I can't believe they actually did it :(

And I'm down for some multiplayer later.
Serious Big Spoilers:
I don't think she's dead. Maybe I'm in denial, though. I was pretty confused, but the Librarian said something about merging digital and organic life. I foresee Cortana coming back using whatever the hell she was talking about.

MrBig

Good art is good art no matter the medium.

Serious Big Spoilers:
I don't think she's dead. Maybe I'm in denial, though. I was pretty confused, but the Librarian said something about merging digital and organic life. I foresee Cortana coming back using whatever the hell she was talking about.

She was talking about the Composer. There was an audio log entry made by Halsey in the level with the Composer that said it was of the same design as the tech she invented for transferring a living intelligence into an AI, which is how Cortana was made.

Dang, what button does the mech foot stomp? I was in a ghost fighting a mech and managing to stay out of the line of fire, and then he stomped me to death. Awesome but painful.

- Speaking of badass, 343 studios has made a game where being Master Chief is really satisfying. The intro CGI sequence was a more realized vision of chaos and war than any sequence in Bungie's Halos. Every cutscene with Chief you hear his heavy steps, you see and feel like Master Chief is a hulking warrior.

That's actually one of my complaints. Why don't Chief's boots make a thundering WHOOOMP when I jump from high up during gameplay? That would be really cool. Minor gripe.

Dang, what button does the mech foot stomp? I was in a ghost fighting a mech and managing to stay out of the line of fire, and then he stomped me to death. Awesome but painful.

On Fishstick it was R3, so I'm thinking its whatever you use to melee

Side note, does anyone know if doing Spartan Ops at different difficulties nets you different amount of xp?

Prologue

I'm guessing Halo 5 will be on the new xbox? This game looks great so I'm looking forward to the next. A halo every 2 years, right?

RedSwirl

Okay, finally got to the point of seeing
covenant and promethians fighting in a large area
. Now it's starting to feel like a Halo game.

Top Bottom