• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Ein Bear

Started campaign. Holy shit at the Cortana downgrade. I mean I already knew she looked worse but man who did they pick to model Cortana off of?

7puSo.jpg

wxrNI.png

Dat downgrade.

Anyone else still using the Fishsticks control scheme? The zoom on left trigger is indeed a toggle, right? Every once in a while, I feel like its not a toggle.

Is my mind playing tricks on me? Is my controller broke? Or is it a toggle based upon the amount if pressure applied to the analog trigger?!
It's a toggle and a hold depending on how you use it. When it's on a stick, if you quickly click the stick in, it'll toggle, but if you hold the stick in it'll go to a hold that will unscope when you unclick. I can only assume the same functionality applies to triggers. Hold the trigger down to make it act as a hold, tap it to make it a toggle.

RedSwirl

...and 3rd person canned kill animations?! Fuck. Halo was almost the one franchise to escape this cinematic bullshit.

Ein Bear

...and 3rd person canned kill animations?! Fuck. Halo was almost the one franchise to escape this cinematic bullshit.

Don't worry, QTEs and canned kill animations literally appear only in the first five minutes of the game. I have no idea what they were thinking either.

A Penguin

Haven't been able to get ahold of the game yet, but I've been watching streams to get hyped. Noticed you don't get taken out of scope when you get shot. What was 343's rationale for changing that?

Trickster

Anyone know when spartan ops episode 2 gets released? Really need another cgi cutscene like the one in episode 1, that was such an awesome cutscene.

RedSwirl

Man, engine looks like a massive upgrade over Reach (which I still find impressive today), though I can still see where it had to make concessions for the hardware. Something makes me think this is just a proto-version of the engine they intend to use for Halo 5.

DrBo42

About 3 or 4 missions in, campaign is very vanilla. Really lacking anything special here. 343's presentation of the story is much better than Bungie's but there's practically no story to present. Run and push this button, Chief. Run and destroy this generator, Chief. Come on, 343.

Rev3rb

About 3 or 4 missions in, campaign is very vanilla. Really lacking anything special here. 343's presentation of the story is much better than Bungie's but there's practically no story to present. Run and push this button, Chief. Run and destroy this generator, Chief. Come on, 343.

sp3000

I'm getting this impression as well. It's nice to look at and assets are good, but the design of the objectives is just awful.

It's like they took Library from Halo 1 and made it into a game. Hopping around the planet and pressing various buttons with cutscenes playing in between is not how you present a story.

Striker

Please No. It's perfect.
Meh, Slayer with 16 players has never been its bright spot. From Halo 2 to Reach it was best suited for things like 2-flag, Neutral Bomb, Assault, and 1-flag/bomb. With Assault obviously gone, it's still down to just 2 flag, but that would provide more entertainment than general slayer. A map like Meltdown looks perfectly suited for CTF, it even has a decent sized base (something Bungie somewhat ignored for their BTB maps in Halo 3 and Reach). Vortex, Meltdown, Exile, Longbow, and Ragnarok (complete with its vehicle overgrowth) in rotation.

remz

I'm getting this impression as well. It's nice to look at and assets are good, but the design of the objectives is just awful.

It's like they took Library from Halo 1 and made it into a game. Hopping around the planet and pressing various buttons with cutscenes playing in between is not how you present a story.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or facetious but that is one of the biggest exaggerations I've read this year. Play the library again

Just played some multiplayer.

THIS ******* GAME. First impressions are that they improved on my favorite competitive shooter much more than I anticipated. The visuals are striking. The sound is superb. Explosions and gunfire feel so intense now. And the new abilities and guns are retarded cool! Been mostly on a media blackout with this game, so I don't even know what is happening around me some of the time... and I love it.

Haven't even touched the campaign yet, that is reserved for my long weekend.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Meh, Slayer with 16 players has never been its bright spot. From Halo 2 to Reach it was best suited for things like 2-flag, Neutral Bomb, Assault, and 1-flag/bomb. With Assault obviously gone, it's still down to just 2 flag, but that would provide more entertainment than general slayer. A map like Meltdown looks perfectly suited for CTF, it even has a decent sized base (something Bungie somewhat ignored for their BTB maps in Halo 3 and Reach). Vortex, Meltdown, Exile, Longbow, and Ragnarok (complete with its vehicle overgrowth) in rotation.

I guess it comes down to taste. I hate ctf. Nothing like parking the mech near the turret facing the hill to my left and that corridor looking path on my right on ragnarok

xtrasauce said:
Just played some multiplayer.

THIS ******* GAME. First impressions are that they improved on my favorite competitive shooter much more than I anticipated. The visuals are striking. The sound is superb. Explosions and gunfire feel so intense now. And the new abilities and guns are retarded cool! Been mostly on a media blackout with this game, so I don't even know what is happening around me some of the time... and I love it.
Haven't even touched the campaign yet, that is reserved for my long weekend.

Yeah me too. I just found out there were mechs in the game this past monday, lol

JdFoX187

Banned
I guess it comes down to taste. I hate ctf. Nothing like parking the mech near the turret facing the hill to my left and that corridor looking path on my right on ragnarok

So you find enjoyment out of sitting in one spot in a ridiculously overpowered vehicle and just spawn camping people?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
So you find enjoyment out of sitting in one spot in a ridiculously overpowered vehicle and just spawn camping people?

That's not all I do! I can usually only take out about 8 or so before they all come after me! lol

I had a game earlier where the whole other team was chasing me even after I died and respawned!

I'm pretty bad at the game let me enjoy what I do best

Brizzo24

Curious: I didn't preorder, rather just now purchased at Best Buy. Do i get any skins/armor exclusive to Best Buy, still? Or only preorders get that stuff?

DrBo42

How close does this campaign come to CE?

Personally, not even close. CE was unique in tone compared to the rest of the series and I think that's what made it great. Pillar of Autumn and her crew are completely fucked, ship goes down, life pod you're in has no survivors...it's bleak. From that point in a story it makes regrouping with the remaining soldiers and rescuing the Captain these incredibly heroic story and gameplay moments. Combined with sprawling environments and strange architecture to explore, it's a great experience. The problem with the numbered Halo games after that is the lack of tension. Linking up with Marines on a joint op never feels the same (closest is maybe H2 with the defense of Earth but we're there for fucking 20 minutes). Killing the Covenant is never personal again, it's just business as usual. The entire series is getting to the point of business as usual. This by the motions intergalactic romp of convoy missions and hold X objectives that repeat constantly. The Prometheans just aren't enough to fix what's wrong here.

Top Bottom