• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Halo 3's ending sucked too. Reach is the only one that ended strong.

the legendary ending in 3 was better but I was one of the few who liked Halo 2's ending. It was reassuring to me to know there was going to be another Halo.
it wasn't like there was any real doubt tho =P

I've only beaten 4 on normal and was kinda disappointed by that ending. Hopefully legendary is better. the prometheans feel a little too generic, what they're lacking in personality they make up for in difficulty tho.

the netcode is pretty great, i've hardly seen any issues and i have a BAD connection.

that blue light, if i'm not mistaken, is a charging railgun :)

I don't think my connection is bad. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations. Shit was probably being overly dramatic. The net code is serviceable, but getting killed through walls, having people teleport around, and dying from explosions that take place after you die is never conducive to long term fun. These things happen in most MP games, so it isn't really fair to point the finger at Halo 4 only. Suffice to say that I have difficulty tolerating it in any game, so seeing it here is disheartening. I feel that dedicated servers would offer a better experience, but I may be wrong. In the end, I love Halo gameplay so I will continue to play until the rage is all I have left, then I will put it on a shelf and only play locally once in a while. I just always approach new MP games hoping that they will not have these same issues, so the realization that I am once more mistaken is a bitter pill.

danwarb

Finished it. It was good. I don't know what happened.

Using grenades is not as fun this time. Aside from sniping and the incineration cannon, the big guns feel underpowered/useless.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Not disagreeing, but that bold part can be said for almost all Halo maps. Lockout is a prime example (BR tower and Snipe).

That is true but at least on other maps such as Lockout there are multiple points people attempt to reach.

Seems in Complex it is just one centralized spot.

After my first playthrough (heroic), I was pretty satisfied, mostly because of the story and freshness of the promethean enemies. After completing 50% of my legendary playthrough, I can say with confidence that I will NEVER touch the campaign again, except to grind some achievements in coop maybe.

I hate how every enemy is super accurate at all distances, I hate how every enemy is huge bullet sponge, and so on. How about making enemies play fair? With the same amount of bullet spread that you deal with?

For the record, I have completed every Halo game on Legendary, most of them multiple times. They were, at times, crushingly hard, but never as unfair and cheap as Halo 4 (except for the infamous Halo 2 Jackal snipers and rocket flood maybe).

7/10 score is pretty much justified, for SP at least.

Hopefully the MP is better - if not, I'm done with buying Halo games day one.

29959989.jpg

After my first playthrough (heroic), I was pretty satisfied, mostly because of the story and freshness of the promethean enemies. After completing 50% of my legendary playthrough, I can say with confidence that I will NEVER touch the campaign again, except to grind some achievements in coop maybe.

I hate how every enemy is super accurate at all distances, I hate how every enemy is huge bullet sponge, and so on. How about making enemies play fair? With the same amount of bullet spread that you deal with?

For the record, I have completed every Halo game on Legendary, most of them multiple times. They were, at times, crushingly hard, but never as unfair and cheap as Halo 4 (except for the infamous Halo 2 Jackal snipers and rocket flood maybe).

7/10 score is pretty much justified, for SP at least.

Hopefully the MP is better - if not, I'm done with buying Halo games day one.

29959989.jpg
Did you play the game called Reach? It was more unfair than any other Halo. Even Halo 4. But I just started Halo 4 on Legendary.

Did you play the game called Reach? It was more unfair than any other Halo. Even Halo 4. But I just started Halo 4 on Legendary.

I enjoyed Reach on Legendary way more than Halo 4. Wait until you get to the second pylon with the banshees and stuff. It is literally the worst encounter of any Halo game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I enjoyed Reach on Legendary way more than Halo 4. Wait until you get to the second pylon with the banshees and stuff. It is literally the worst encounter of any Halo game.

No, the worst encounter of any Halo game that I can think of is the final sequence in Reach (before the solo death sequence and right before Emile dies) where you have to play "firefight" then fight through mega super shielded zealots with engineers then it's capped off with a hard as fuck broken turret sequence that on legendary you're better off completely avoiding and just hopping in and taking the shot when prompted.

THAT was the worst sequence in Halo.

I thought Reach was the easiest on legendary. That bit of getting into the ship in zero-G was rough, but other than that it was fine.

Halo 4 was definitely the easiest solo legendary playthrough. Especially once you get to mission 4 and beyond.

StuBurns

Banned
I thought Reach was the easiest on legendary. That bit of getting into the ship in zero-G was rough, but other than that it was fine.

No, the worst encounter of any Halo game that I can think of is the final sequence in Reach (before the solo death sequence) where you have to play "firefight" then fight through mega super shielded zealots with engineers then it's capped off with a hard as fuck broken turret sequence that on legendary you're better off completely avoiding and just hopping in and taking the shot when prompted.

THAT was the worst sequence in Halo.
Seriously? I just played that sequence again the other day. Apart from the turret sequence, which is indeed broken, the firefight and the zealots are pretty easy. Died around 4 times in the firefight and once or twice with the zealots.

IHaveIce

Banned

Lol what? It was difficult but not that unfair as you describe it.

In my opinion Reach was more unfair and the Elites were more bullet sponges than in Halo 4

pushneim

Banned
Two issues I had with Halo 4:

Covenant all throughout the game. New enemies in the minority and their design (AI, behavior, characteristics) is nothing new really. I would have preferred more innovative enemies but most importantly I wanted no more of the Covenant :-(

Weapons were just different variations of the old archetypes. Boring and useless. They should have tried a little harder :-(

Other than that I really enjoyed the game :)

Lol what? It was difficult but not that unfair as you describe it.

In my opinion Reach was more unfair and the Elites were more bullet sponges than in Halo 4

I can't remember ever being stuck over an hour at a single encounter in Reach.

The pylon sequence was ridiculous. Taking out banshees is nigh-impossible with the provided weapons (light rifle, supressor, boltshot, storm rifle, needler), and taking them down with a plasma pistol means you have to let them come at you (and they will obviously fire at you) before firing at last second, which results in around 1/3 or 1/2 of your shields being drained. I can't tell you how many times an elite finished me off with a carbine while I tried to do this.
And I can't take out that elite because he is standing on top of the pylon and will retreat into the structure if I fire at him.
Even if I manage to PP the banshee, it mostly lands on the other side of some structure, and by the time I get there, it's airborne again.

Fuck yes that encounter was unfair as hell. Straight out of CoD4 grenade spam hell in terms of unfairness.

Dreaver

Halo 4 was definitely the easiest solo legendary playthrough. Especially once you get to mission 4 and beyond.
I only completed the first two missions so far, but I thought it was rather easy as well. I think I died 3 times total so far. Two of them were at literal the first enemies you need to kill in the game. My third death was a stupid mistake as I got killed by a ghost. Just move very carefully and use your ammo carefully. Pretty easy.

Fox Mulder

Campaign is really underwhelming me. Specifically, the soundtrack is practically non-existent and really not as awesome as the original trilogy. It's basically a corridor shooter now. Story is a mess. It's way too short. Worst of all, the co-op design is awful. Only one Mantis or specific power-up or whatever, they never have enough to suit however many people there are in your party.

I played co-op campaign with a friend and never noticed a section with only one mantis. We were both fucking stuff up in them whenever the game gave them to us.

The story was short, and I wanted more than a couple of new enemies and fighting the covenant again. I hated running out of ammo all the damn time as well, and most of the new alien guns were boring.

Sanjuro

the netcode is pretty great, i've hardly seen any issues and i have a BAD connection.

that blue light, if i'm not mistaken, is a charging railgun :)

The weirdest thing for me is the slowdown in the game. Seems to happen more frequent than I've ever seen in a Halo game.

How is the headset btw?

KlotePino

I can't remember ever being stuck over an hour at a single encounter in Reach.

The pylon sequence was ridiculous. Taking out banshees is nigh-impossible with the provided weapons (light rifle, supressor, boltshot, storm rifle, needler), and taking them down with a plasma pistol means you have to let them come at you (and they will obviously fire at you) before firing at last second, which results in around 1/3 or 1/2 of your shields being drained. I can't tell you how many times an elite finished me off with a carbine while I tried to do this.
And I can't take out that elite because he is standing on top of the pylon and will retreat into the structure if I fire at him.
Even if I manage to PP the banshee, it mostly lands on the other side of some structure, and by the time I get there, it's airborne again.

Fuck yes that encounter was unfair as hell. Straight out of CoD4 grenade spam hell in terms of unfairness.

I actually sort of liked that encounter. I got pretty frustrated at first but there's many approaches to take in that encounter and I was just too greedy when I tried. I never felt it was unfair just hard and it was extremely satisfying to beat that part.

Spartan Ops is still unplayable to me. I've downoalded and installed the conten several times and the only time i'm able to play is the first one after installing.

After that, when the game is loading it crashes to Title screen.

I hope 343 are aware of this.

Ok I have a question about the autosentry. Can I get it to follow and protect me, or is it just a stationary perk?

Stationary. During the gondola sequence it actually keeps floating in place as well, instead of floating along with the gondola.

In other news: just noticed the achievement for beating Episode 1 on Legendary hasn't unlocked for me, yet. Weird.

In any case, beat it on Legendary. I think I might stick to Heroic after all. I've learned how to deal with these Prometheans.

Naked Lunch

what? no.

thats literally never been the case when ive played that map. ragnarok on the other hand, fucking sucks, and i blame the mechs.
Thats cause your team probably had all the vehicles and wasted the other teams without you knowing. The mechs are a bit too much to deal with too, I agree heh.

Bread

Banned
Thats cause your team probably had all the vehicles and wasted the other teams without you knowing.
ummm no, my team was fighting the other team in a huge battle for the hilltop base in the middle, and that's usually what happens when i play on that map. learn to destroy vehicles, its not that hard.

At first i really like the MP but I'm starting to dislike it now. It still feels like halo but doesn't really play like it. Everything is so fast paced and you die much quicker it seems. Killing sprees and running riots seem impossible now.

MrDaravon

ummm no, my team was fighting the other team in a huge battle for the hilltop base in the middle, and that's usually what happens when i play on that map. learn to destroy vehicles, its not that hard.

This. Outside of Ragnarok and sometimes Exile, vehicles are generally a non-issue. Carry a Plasma Pistol as your secondary and Plasma Grenades. I generally take out 4-5 vehicles a match or more at least. At this point unless it's a tank or a Mantis, I don't even get in vehicles anymore, they're deathtraps now since most people have wisened up to carrying a Plasma Pistol.

On Vortex specifically though I don't think I've ever had a match on it where vehicles were ever really a factor, 90% of the time it's a team holding the top base.

forrest

formerly nacire
My wife ordered my copy of Halo 4 as an early bday gift and I finally got to play some last night. I booted up the first mission on Legendary and went to town! Only died once, but after feeling how squishy I was, I set the appropriate pace and made my way through.

Initial impressions are similar to many here. The art on display is bar none the best the franchise has seen in my opinion. There is a level of realism in the design and presentation that feels like we went from Tim Burton's Batman (Bungie) to Chris Nolan's Batman (343). When looking through that first interior environment I got some serious Id vibes ala Rage and Doom 3 as far as lighting and rendering are concerned.

Anyhow, great showing so far! Can't wait to see more of it!

LosDaddie

Banned
Halo-GAF: Let's play some Spartan Ops in about 1hr (~1:45pm EST). I'm talking about a group of 4 (5?) GAFers doing the 5 chapters on either Heroic or Legendary. Let's also knock out any cheevos that we can, too.

I'm going to grab some lunch, and check back here in when I get back. Either respond here, or on XBL.

GT: LosDaddie

Let's do this

Top Bottom