• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

JB1981

There really wasn't much notable music in the game. I can only really remember one song in the whole game, everything else felt like ambient noises. 343 needs to kidnap Marty.

The music that plays over the menu is very solemn. I think the music is good to listen to on its own. Reach a soundtrack was much better though.

StuBurns

Banned
You mean XBL voice chat? I'm pretty sure you can, either at the game level or dashboard level. Change it from speakers to headset or something.
I thought it was on the dashboard, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking. It says it's through the headset there, but it's not. There must be something else.

What bugged me a lot was that the covenant were featured so prominently, yet their sandbox was not expanded at all. They had less vehicles than ever, in fact the least they ever had since Halo 1. Same goes for the species: no brutes, no drones, no skirmishers, no engineers.

All in all we have 7 types of enemies (8 if you count the promethean eye laser thingies) and 3 types of vehicles. In Halo 3, we had 5 species of covie enemies, with 5 vehicles, and 6 different flood enemies (infection/combat/carrier/3 types of pure form). Such a disappointment.

The Covenant is still broken into factions if I remember correctly, seeing no drones or brutes makes sense.

Skrimishers are bastard Covies anyway, Bungie completely broke the fiction with Reach.

Engineers would've been interesting.

I don't see myself playing the MP past the end of the month sadly. I played the heck out of Halo 2 and Halo 3, and was hoping to do the same with this game. Without doing a long post, my main issues are:

- The maps feel really uninspired, and are definitely not suited for objective gametypes.
- No BTB objectives. I knew this coming into the game, but it still is very disappointing.
- Poor weapon balance
- No rank system

I'll give it another week or so.

MrDaravon

Yeah, after having only one or two laggy games all week, it is completely unplayable right now. Not a good look the Saturday before your biggest competitor comes out. So glad there was no beta test for this 343! Gonna try to at least use up my double xp games.

To those having the Halo Waypoint crash from in game I had to uninstall waypoint. Then I launched H4 and when I clicked on Waypoint it installs from there. I then backed out of H4 and when I launched it from in game it was fine.

You're not wrong. I sometimes wonder if they did it on purpose to thumb their noses at MS in some way.

Only the diehards care or notice and seeing what Bungie did with Reach in general, I don't think they really give a shit either way.

They pretty much burned their "Halo Bible" to a crisp with Reach.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not sure. Do you have a mic plugged in? Maybe it defaults to speakers if it doesn't detect a microphone. I don't really know though, just guessing.
I've no idea, but I just turned the voice volume to 0, so that's good enough. Thanks.

I have a question on these pre order MP skins. Do you need to have 100% of say the Hazop armor unlocked to use the forest skin? Like you can't mix and match pieces correct?

The armor skins are a separate item in the armor list from the normal armor, using the pre-order codes unlocks every piece with that skin, but not without the skin. So put the code in and you automatically have every Hazop piece unlocked with the forest skin on it. You still have to unlock Hazop without the skin in the normal way. You've probably already noticed this with the early armor sets, where a reskinned version is available for completing commendations. This just jumps ahead to the reskinned version without unlocking the original.

Man, that room. I think it explains every problem I have with the Prometheans. They seem overly scripted. Even if you fire on the crawlers, they won't move up to the top level in groups greater than three. They're normally rushing everywhere else in the game (like the area just before, where they spawn infinitely), but here, they don't. Likely because that behaviour wasn't scripted in. The Knights always stay in their designated area (two inn the middle and two in the lower area), so you can peg them off easily from the top.

I'm finding this to be true for me as well.

Still in the 3rd mission, but the Knights just seem to stay in one area & teleport & then go back to the exact same spot.
The Crawlers on the walls in M2 never jumped off or flanked me or anything when I was shhoting them.

The new enemies definitely seem like a step down from the normal Covenant, I'm also guessing there are no Brurtes in this game?

I don't see myself playing the MP past the end of the month sadly. I played the heck out of Halo 2 and Halo 3, and was hoping to do the same with this game. Without doing a long post, my main issues are:

- The maps feel really uninspired, and are definitely not suited for objective gametypes.
- No BTB objectives. I knew this coming into the game, but it still is very disappointing.
- Poor weapon balance
- No rank system

Speaking of uninspired maps, Ragnork is always voted in BTB, no matter what.
Even though the map has been in the past 3 games, Bungie still can't make a better map than it.

I also haven't been able to view several of the maps, like Erosion & that small map at night/in the space station.
This is after 75 games played. Is there a specific playlist those maps only appear in?

Not necessarily, they just need a guy that will try it out within the game as hes making it instead of just composing the music and giving it in.
Unfortunately, I feel the same way.

Marty has tons of experience making vg music. And he's not just at the helm of the soundtrack, he's at the helm of sound, allowing him to fit everything together perfectly.

I think that is the main problem here. There are countless neat refrains and tracks in Halo 4 but they just aren't used to great effect.

There's no point at which the music and game sync together perfectly... remember when you get in the hornet and Three Gates kicks in?. That skilful synchronization is lacking in 4.

As the video goes on and they land at the last gate, the music really loudens up, too, and it's much more effective. It drives the game forward. That's the other problem -- the music in Halo 4, even near the end of the last mission, when the soundtrack picks up, is too quiet to drive the game forwards. It's always quivering in the background, even when it's at its most energetic.

Edit: Watching that video has convinced me that 3's campaign is still yet to be beat. In terms of encounter design, scale and variety. In terms of fun. Gotta hope Halo 5 will be more ambitious on those four counts.

Rev3rb

- Poor weapon balance
- No rank system

TU in early 2013 for visual rank system. Weapon tweaks will probably happen as well.

2San

Regen field and AA efficiency. It's great for Regecide and KotH, but Jet Pack is still the best AA.
I really like Promethean vision. Legit wallhax is pretty great. Gives information if an engagement is worth perusing(you can somewhat which weapon the enemy is holding). Gives location of enemies with a pretty significant range.

EvB

To those having the Halo Waypoint crash from in game I had to uninstall waypoint. Then I launched H4 and when I clicked on Waypoint it installs from there. I then backed out of H4 and when I launched it from in game it was fine.

That's exactly what I had to do, don't know why..

I'm hoping they'll put in an Objective BTB playlist eventually.

Speaking of uninspired maps, Ragnork is always voted in BTB, no matter what.
Even though the map has been in the past 3 games, Bungie still can't make a better map than it.

I also haven't been able to view several of the maps, like Erosion & that small map at night/in the space station.
This is after 75 games played. Is there a specific playlist those maps only appear in?

Oh god, this. I love Valhalla, but I'm already getting sick of playing on that map because people vote for it every single time.
I did play a couple of BTB maps to begin with that I enjoyed but I haven't been able to play them since because everyone votes for Ragnarok.

In the books, Halsey was outraged about the Spartan IIIs when she found out, in Reach, she was seemingly complacent in the issue and an overall bitch.

Pillar of Autumn wasn't on Reach during the timeline of the books and Masterchief isn't in cryo as depicted in the game.

In Halo 3, the game opens up with Cortana saying she could pick any Spartan she wanted, so she chose John. In Reach? You deliver Cortana to the Autumn (which again wasn't on Reach at all during the timeline previously depicted in the books) and she is seemingly forced on Chief, not really picking him at all.

Also been awhile, but pretty pretty sure Skirmishers were never mentioned in the books. Engineers were at least discussed in at least a couple of the books so their inclusion in ODST is not far-fetched.

Deadly

This protect the hill in the Infinity mission is fucking bullshit on legendary. How the fuck am I suppose to hold em all off?

Havok

This protect the hill in the Infinity mission is fucking bullshit on legendary. How the fuck am I suppose to hold em all off?
The difficulty of that sequence is largely dependent on how many Marines from the bottom of the hill you saved. If you can get back to that section to save them, do so and grab the railgun by the sandbags before assaulting the hill. It'll make any Knight susceptible to a headshot with the DMR you should have. If you can save even a couple Marines, they'll man the turrets and do the heavy lifting.

Grab a rail gun, head to the hollow, elevated log that's in the middle of the battle area.

Take out watchers as soon as you can, about halfway through the fight, another watcher will spawn (behind the log/the very bottom of the hill) and attempt to spawn more crawlers, TAKE IT OUT.

Use the rail gun to shed the Knights' armor and HS them with the DMR.

Pretty much hide in the log as much as you can, pick and pop, take out watchers and crawlers leaving the knights which are much more manageable when you have the rail gun and DMR.

LOL. Well it's happen. People are like. "WTF changes! I want to go back to Reach."

Oh gaf.

I have nothing against change. It would have been nice to watch the franchise evolve. To see it walk down its own path. Instead its internal parts have been gutted and replaced with Call of Duty mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, Halo 4 is a very well-made game and I enjoy it. But innovation would have been preferable to mimicry.

The DMR is fucking king in Infinity Slayer. Very disappointed that Halo 4 is severly lacking in matchmaking options. Reach blows it out of the water. I can't choose region or even if just looking for casual games and not dudebros looking to talk tons of trash *aka 12 year olds talking shit*

Infinity is tons of fun and Dominion is addicting but I've encountered a good deal of lag at times and also have had a game knock back to the menu after a round and not give me my XP. Is that happening to anyone else?
None of those options actually had code behind them though

Only dislikes about the game:

Did not seem like 343 played through the game solo in legendary. It is ridiculously easy to die a cheap death since they give the player barely any tools to use. Going into a battle with 4 promeathean knights with 1 clip of dmr and a boltshot or fighting 2 ghosts and a wraith with no vehicles, wtf? Also the lack of ammo makes it extremely stupid since the promeathean knights take more than 1 clip to the head to kill from both the dmr and light rifle. I have almost rage quit several times fighting the knights just cause there is just zero chance of me winning so I have to run past them to advance the story.

def sim

Yeah, having gone through solo legendary, the two most important tips I can give is to use all weapons left in the battlefield and never get on vehicles. The former only applies to the first three or four missions. Ammo isn't so bad later on.

BearPawB

Banned
I ran to the far right turret and went to town with it. Other two were death traps, but I had success with the one closest to the logs

Deadly

The difficulty of that sequence is largely dependent on how many Marines from the bottom of the hill you saved. If you can get back to that section to save them, do so and grab the railgun by the sandbags before assaulting the hill. It'll make any Knight susceptible to a headshot with the DMR you should have. If you can save even a couple Marines, they'll man the turrets and do the heavy lifting.
Yeah none of em survived I guess I'll restart if I really don't manage.
Grab a rail gun, head to the hollow, elevated log that's in the middle of the battle area.

Take out watchers as soon as you can, about halfway through the fight, another watcher will spawn (behind the log/the very bottom of the hill) and attempt to spawn more crawlers, TAKE IT OUT.

Use the rail gun to shed the Knights' armor and HS them with the DMR.

Pretty much hide in the log as much as you can, pick and pop, take out watchers and crawlers leaving the knights which are much more manageable when you have the rail gun and DMR.
I take out the crawlers and about 2 knights but then there are so many crawlers they just overrun me. By then there are even more knights that have spawned.

Pooya

Snipers seem rather pointless when you have DMR everywhere. The maps aren't big enough for the range difference to become an issue and DMR obviously fires way faster. Maybe in Ragnorock if you want shoot at the enemy base from your base otherwise no point. Binary rifle seems usable from close range to me. I still haven't seen all the maps.

I'm not sure what you can do about pretty much everyone using DMR, it's an early weapon and the most effective of the bunch in these maps, so all the starters are using it which is almost everyone. I'd say reduce the mag size and overall ammo but even then you die and respawn so fast it wouldn't matter all that much.

I actually like the ordinance system, it's pretty good, the problem with the mp is mostly DMR right now. no one uses assault rifle or storm rifle or quite a few of other guns seem unused,

I tried using the visor it's good for starters I imagine, you can do a lot better with other AA like jetpack and others, movements are pretty fast that visor isn't all that useful when you get better at the game and know the maps and weapons better. It's good for running away mostly or if you want to do melee from back maybe.

armor designs I don't like, bring elites back :\

also banshees are useless to me, they are indeed death trap.

Yeah none of em survived I guess I'll restart if I really don't manage.

I take out the crawlers and about 2 knights but then they're so many crawlers they just overrun me. By then there are even more knights that have spawned.

Honestly, I didn't bother with the knights until I took out the crawlers and watchers. Also, if you're in the log, you should be able to take everything from a good distance.

The marines I had died within seconds of me coming across them.

GloveSlap

Snipers seem rather pointless when you have DMR everywhere. The maps aren't big enough for the range difference to become an issue and DMR obviously fires way faster. Maybe in Ragnorock if you want shoot at the enemy base from your base otherwise no point. Binary rifle seems usable from close range to me. I still haven't seen all the maps.

I'm not sure what you can do about pretty much everyone using DMR, it's an early weapon and the most effective of the bunch in these maps, so all the starters are using it which is almost everyone. I'd say reduce the mag size and overall ammo but even then you die and respawn so fast it wouldn't matter all that much.

I actually like the ordinance system, it's pretty good, the problem with the mp is mostly DMR right now. no one uses assault rifle or storm rifle or quite a few of other guns seem unused,

I tried using the visor it's good for starters I imagine, you can do a lot better with other AA like jetpack and others, movements are pretty fast that visor isn't all that useful when you get better at the game and know the maps and weapons better. It's good for running away mostly or if you want to do melee from back maybe.

armor designs I don't like, bring elites back :\

also banshees are useless to me, they are indeed death trap.

Your complaints are pretty much a summary of what I like about the game. By all means, leave the sniper for me if we ever play together.

Horrible map glitch on Complex. You can hide in the wall and it's ridiculously easy to do. :(

I worry if they'll even be able to patch that out of the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Only dislikes about the game:

Did not seem like 343 played through the game solo in legendary. It is ridiculously easy to die a cheap death since they give the player barely any tools to use. Going into a battle with 4 promeathean knights with 1 clip of dmr and a boltshot or fighting 2 ghosts and a wraith with no vehicles, wtf? Also the lack of ammo makes it extremely stupid since the promeathean knights take more than 1 clip to the head to kill from both the dmr and light rifle. I have almost rage quit several times fighting the knights just cause there is just zero chance of me winning so I have to run past them to advance the story.

Never had ammo problems on Legendary. I take the rarity of certain weapons and ammo into account before going onward. I avoid using power weapons except when necessary or when their ammo is plentiful (there are few such moments).
Halo 4 Legendary is very easy as it is, easiest of the series (PromKnights being bulletsponges notwithstanding), outside a few locations (each Halo has cheap moments on Legendary). If we were given plentiful ammo, we wouldn't have to think about our playing at all. Legendary requires planning and thinking, as always.
As it is, i would have liked some more challenge, PromKnights could be a tad weaker but the AI should be more intelligent, use more teamwork. Maybe in Halo 5...

About PromKnight headshotting: It seems one needs to knock open their helmet (after dropping their shields) by shooting it once, then you need to land another shot there. Oh and the actual head is very small and thus hard to hit, smallest head in any Halo...

Top Bottom