• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

wwm0nkey

Yes there is TrueSkill and matchmaking is taking advantage of it. I've been matching against some guys I used to play MLG with/against back in Reach and Halo 3. It's not perfect but it's doing a much better job than Reach is.

I have had A LOT of close matches where we barley won/lost. Hardly ever had this in Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
And so, i've finished Halo 4 on Legendary, solo.
Not very difficult, definetly the easiest game of the series. Just a few difficult sections, and got through them by exploiting range and the AI's inability to deal with that.
Still, excellent experience.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I finished the campaign yesterday, in one sitting, as is my tradition with Halo games — around nine hours real-time, seven hours of actual gameplay. I liked it a lot, but didn't quite love it. I've never been truly blown away by a Halo campaign, to be honest, but they're all very good, and certainly all worth playing at least once. Some random thoughts:

- The soundtrack is phenomenal. I still like Marty O'Donnell's work more, but Neil Davidge is no slouch here. The music during the last stretch of the final level ("Arrival") is unbelievable.
- The story... ehh. I've never paid much attention to the plot in these games, but I obviously understand the general themes. There was some talk by reviewers about how this one was much more engaging, story-wise, but I didn't really see it.
- Finale spoilers:
I was HOPING that we'd get to battle the Didact, but I really wasn't expecting it given the history with "boss" battles in these games. Kind of disappointed by the fact that 343 didn't try their hand at a memorable finish.
- There weren't enough large-scale battles; it kind of felt like the "smallest" Halo.
- There were no bullshit levels like Cortana or The Library. For some reason, one of the spots that I had the most trouble with was the (final mission spoilers)
first half of the last mission, where you're flying the Broadsword. I just started getting impatient with it and kept crashing into shit. I made it waaay too hard on myself.
- The graphics, while certainly very good, didn't really blow me away as much as I was expecting. I think I was a bit underwhelmed by the lighting, but I do also think I just really need a bigger TV — a lot of the IQ was probably lost on me. There were very pretty levels, though, and the CG cutscenes are some of the best I've ever seen.
- Checkpoints are still shitty from time to time, as it always is with Halo. Is it, like, intentional that sometimes I'll get sort of a "gift" checkpoint after dying a few times that hadn't initially popped? I guess it's just the game being wonky, but I'll take it.

Need to finally get started on MP soon.

ElRenoRaven

Ugh, I just don't know right now. I really don't like the standard Promethean squad. I think the little doggies remind me of the Flood that shoot lasers out of their ass from Cortana, and I just hate hate hate flying units in everything, so they suck shit. I feel like when I shoot the flying things, I get almost no reaction. Often they turn sideways and become 4 pixels wide and fly off.

edit: And I don't like the music.

Yup. The crawlers I'm ok with. It's the damn watchers I hate. They bob and weave behind shit causing you to waste shots trying to nail them. The reason you have to be careful is of course because they keep spamming crawlers which results in you not being able to hardly come out of cover due to the amount of fire you will take if you do. That's what makes dealing with the prometheans annoying as hell.

7he Talon

Is there anything in place to combat people boosting commendations? Been in games recently with people just boosting. Reminds me of Halo 3.

Ken

Everdred wins?

The P for Poland loses.

Is there anything in place to combat people boosting commendations? Been in games recently with people just boosting. Reminds me of Halo 3.

Can you blame them? Get Venator for 150+ legit Assassinations or just buy the skin off ebay and unlock it. I've yet to hit the final tier for the Assassination commendation so I don't know how many that requires.

RS4-

Managed to get an aerial assassination a couple of matches ago

ibiuSWYp3F8pt3.jpg

There really wasn't much notable music in the game. I can only really remember one song in the whole game, everything else felt like ambient noises. 343 needs to kidnap Marty.

Not necessarily, they just need a guy that will try it out within the game as hes making it instead of just composing the music and giving it in.

derFeef

There really wasn't much notable music in the game. I can only really remember one song in the whole game, everything else felt like ambient noises. 343 needs to kidnap Marty.

Marty is really tightly knitted to Bungie, he knows what's going on in the games and has experience over a series of games. Neil's music is good, its just a little bit over the place, and too silent.

watership

The soundtrack is absolutely incredible. The soundtrack in the game proper.. is muted. They made the choice to make it very subtle. I loved the music and I was wondering where the hell it was in the game. There are hints of it all over, almost like.. cues.. but the music was not blaring over the game like in the Bungie games. Which is so weird, because I honestly believe the OST is one of the best for any Halo game.

Satchel

Banned
Yep. I don't think I've seen a kill cam where the enemy was actually aiming at me. They are hilariously broken.

Oh shit so it's not just me.

I saw this one cam where the BR was being shot like 5 "meters" away from me and somehow I was dying. I was like "WTF!?"

How can you give it a 10, when:
There wasn't even a fight against the Didact. Some bullshit QTE after all that buildup...are you fucking kidding me, 343? Cortana leaving is interesting story-wise, but the Didact was handle like shit gameplay-wise.

Honestly, the timing isn't right, and it absolutely warrants a 10. Master Chief does not understand his new Librarian-activated body, and was more focused on one objective (destroying the entire ship and stopping the composer, not just killing Didact). I agree with 343 in having just a cutscene because they would have had to added a whole other AI system for him, and I'd rather have a QTE, or whatever you're calling it, and awesome graphics, than a 5 minute boss fight that will ultimately be better in Halo 5,6. He's coming back, and so is Cortana.

I want them to do it right, and I want Didact to be an amazing enemy who is as powerful as he is cunning. Cortana was too fragmented and MC doesn't know his own body well enough that they were both not strong enough to fight the General of the Armies of the entire Forerunner Fleet. The dude had force powers and lasers and could hover and shit. I thought it was appropriate that he was surprised, but they did take some liberties on making him a typical 'bad movie villain' in some respects like not killing the MC when he had the chance.

I hate when there's tracks in the game that aren't on the OST, and vice versa. What the FUCK 343!? And they're not just songs from older Halo games, there's brand new material here that isn't even on the soundtrack. Bullshit.

Can someone explain to me where we find custom gametypes and shit on the site?

And man, they really took out a lot of options for the custom gametypes. Very disappointing.

georgc

Hi gaf I have a friend who first halo game is halo 4. I need a nice video that would catch him up on all the backstory cause he is asking me questions every 5 second when we play coop.

vid

Just picked up the Limited Edition on my way into work... I guess I just hadn't been paying enough attention, but was anyone else disappointed that the included copy of Forward Unto Dawn is just a download, and not on an actual disc? Packaging and goodies are cool otherwise, but man... it takes some nerve to include a download code for content that is already freely available online and call it special.

....this is going to be a long day. *tries to push the Halo 4 box out of sight and out of mind*

Just picked up the Limited Edition on my way into work... I guess I just hadn't been paying enough attention, but was anyone else disappointed that the included copy of Forward Unto Dawn is just a download, and not on an actual disc? Packaging and goodies are cool otherwise, but man... it takes some nerve to include a download code for content that is already freely available online and call it special.

....this is going to be a long day. *tries to push the Halo 4 box out of sight and out of mind*
Yep. It was the reason I bought it, only to find out I have to boot up my xbox if I want to watch it...

Ken

Hi gaf I have a friend who first halo game is halo 4. I need a nice video that would catch him up on all the backstory cause he is asking me questions every 5 second when we play coop.

Master Chief was cool human-cyborg machine soldier who went around killing Covenant, Flood, and blowing up Halos. After blowing up the Ark (it's like a Halo but not a Halo) he fell asleep and got feelings.

This is his story.

Grisby

Ha. Went to check out some terminals so I launched the waypoint tab from the main menu. Takes me to a black screen for 10mins so I had to shut the Xbox off.

Should have just stuck them in the damn game.
Anyone else having a bunch of problems with the online infrastructure? Lag and black screens out the ass.
Yeah, I've had my issues. They were better today but the net code still doesn't seem great.

Anyone else having a bunch of problems with the online infrastructure? Lag and black screens out the ass.

13 hours of MP, have only run into a few games with noticeable stuttering/lag, but even those the player causing the issue seemingly dropped and the game fixed itself.

Online coop campaign and Spartan Ops are different stories however.

Ha. Went to check out some terminals so I launched the waypoint tab from the main menu. Takes me to a black screen for 10mins so I had to shut the Xbox off.
Happened to me too.

I launched Waypoint from the dashboard, had to install an update, and then another update once Waypoint launched. I think its these lack of updates that cause the Halo 4 Waypoint link to crap out.

What bugged me a lot was that the covenant were featured so prominently, yet their sandbox was not expanded at all. They had less vehicles than ever, in fact the least they ever had since Halo 1. Same goes for the species: no brutes, no drones, no skirmishers, no engineers.

All in all we have 7 types of enemies (8 if you count the promethean eye laser thingies) and 3 types of vehicles. In Halo 3, we had 5 species of covie enemies, with 5 vehicles, and 6 different flood enemies (infection/combat/carrier/3 types of pure form). Such a disappointment.

Grisby

Happened to me to.

I launched Waypoint from the dashboard, had to install an update, and then another update once Waypoint launched. I think its these lack of updates that cause the Halo 4 Waypoint link to crap out.
Thanks, I thought that might be the deal since I haven't touched Waypoint since Reach.

Ken

What bugged me a lot was that the covenant were featured so prominently, yet their sandbox was not expanded at all. They had less vehicles than ever, in fact the least they ever had since Halo 1. Same goes for the species: no brutes,no drones, no skirmishers, no engineers.

All in all we have 7 types of enemies (8 if you count the promethean eye laser thingies) and 3 types of vehicles. In Halo 3, we had 5 species of covie enemies, with 5 vehicles, and 6 different flood enemies (infection/combat/carrier/3 types of pure form). Such a disappointment.

This is a good thing.

Elginer

The DMR is fucking king in Infinity Slayer. Very disappointed that Halo 4 is severly lacking in matchmaking options. Reach blows it out of the water. I can't choose region or even if just looking for casual games and not dudebros looking to talk tons of trash *aka 12 year olds talking shit*

Infinity is tons of fun and Dominion is addicting but I've encountered a good deal of lag at times and also have had a game knock back to the menu after a round and not give me my XP. Is that happening to anyone else?

2San

The DMR is fucking kind in Infinity Slayer. Very disappointed that Halo 4 is severly lacking in matchmaking options. Reach blows it out of the water. I can't choose region or even if just looking for casual games and not dudebros looking to talk tons of trash *aka 12 year olds talking shit*

Infinity is tons of fun and Dominion is addicting but I've encountered a good deal of lag at times and also have had a game knock back to the menu after a round and not give me my XP. Is that happening to anyone else?
Have you fully updated waypoint?

Grisby

Only once for me, but yeah.

Top Bottom