• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Or maybe they should have Ordinance stack. First one is just something like shield recharged, or ammo refill etc. Fill it again and its grenades. Third fill is a power weapon from a choice of three. Die and it resets it down one level. Kinda like charging a Super Bar in a fighting game. :D

That could work too. Something to slow down the influx of power weapons on the map. Something to avoid this:
1) I spot a sniper, start firing but it doesn't move him and is teammate tags me bringing down my shields to I lose even though I had the drop on him.
2) I spawn and a sword sprinter takes me right out.
3) New spawn, I spot someone and start tagging them. He rushes with Rockets.

This is in a matter of minutes.

How is this fun?

TheOddOne

How can you give it a 10, when:
There wasn't even a fight against the Didact. Some bullshit QTE after all that buildup...are you fucking kidding me, 343? Cortana leaving is interesting story-wise, but the Didact was handle like shit gameplay-wise.
Yup,
would have not even mind some tradional fight and then a QTE. Best solutions was to just give a typical fight, mix up the sandbox and do the whole QTE section in a badass cutscene.

There wasn't even a fight against the Didact. Some bullshit QTE after all that buildup...are you fucking kidding me, 343? Cortana leaving is interesting story-wise, but the Didact was handle like shit gameplay-wise.

THIS. My kid was watching me play and
he said is that it? You don't even fight him?

def sim

I'm glad they did not bother, to be honest. Boss fights have been awful in Halo games and, who knows, maybe 343 could have done better than Bungie, but I don't think now is the right time.

I think it's better to wait for next gen and the scope of console games get a nice little upgrade before they take their chances.

I have a question on these pre order MP skins. Do you need to have 100% of say the Hazop armor unlocked to use the forest skin? Like you can't mix and match pieces correct?

abadguy

Banned
As a Halo fan from the beginning, not only is this easily the worst in the series but just an overall bad game. My mind is boggled by the reviews who claim otherwise. MP is a mess, the campaign was dreadfully dull and boring; I am just so dissappointed. Again, i stayed in complete dark up until release.

An ironic hyperbolic post. Go figure

Disagree. SP while being far from perfect was sill quite good and better than the worst campaign in the series , Halo 2. MP is the most fun i have had with it since Halo 3, it boggles my mind how people can consider it a mess especially compared to Reach MP.

Iv finished the campaign twice now and played around 6 hours of multiplayer and 343 have took the series exactly were I wanted it to go.

I can see how it's not for everyone but i love it.

Majanew

Banned
I'm glad they did not bother, to be honest. Boss fights have been awful in Halo games and, who knows, maybe 343 could have done better than Bungie, but I don't think now is the right time.

I think it's better to wait for next gen and the scope of console games get a nice little upgrade before they take their chances.

They could have even had him run around and made it a standard gun fight. 1 QTE and that's it? He looked like a damn pussy. A grunt puts up a better fight.

def sim

A quick question guys, don't know if it even matters but...between 720p and 1080i which one would you use to play this game?

The game runs at 720p, but go ahead and play at the native resolution of your television set. (1080i) The scaler will handle things just fine.

They could have even had him run around and made it a standard gun fight. 1 QTE and that's it? He looked like a damn pussy. A grunt puts up a better fight.

Hah

It'd be refreshing to have a boss fight that has the same game play rules applied to them. 343 were probably playing it safe, but I agree, they could have at least made the QTE exciting. It was surprisingly anti-climatic for such a big budget game.

Meltdown is such a fun BTB map, I get Halo CE vibes from it for some reason.

The mantis really needs to be removed from CTF Ragnarok. 5v5 with a mantis is just ridiculous.

Raide

That could work too. Something to slow down the influx of power weapons on the map. Something to avoid this:
1) I spot a sniper, start firing but it doesn't move him and is teammate tags me bringing down my shields to I lose even though I had the drop on him.
2) I spawn and a sword sprinter takes me right out.
3) New spawn, I spot someone and start tagging them. He rushes with Rockets.

This is in a matter of minutes.

How is this fun?

I guess the easier option is just to make it require more kills/points to get Ordinance. At the moment they just pop up too frequently, which leads to the flood of power-weapons all over the place.

Other than having no power-weapons, you will always end up in a situation where someone with a better weapon takes you down. I think you just have to take it and move on. Maybe a possible fix is to give people points towards their Ordinance if they get killed by a power-weapon and make it take longer to get the Ordinance in the first place.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Meltdown is such a fun BTB map, I get Halo CE vibes from it for some reason.

The mantis really needs to be removed from CTF Ragnarok. 5v5 with a mantis is just ridiculous.

it hasnt seemed to be a huge problem in the few games i've played. you either 1) avoid it 2)find some power weapons or 3)sneak up on it with a pp.

Dreaver

Damn, they should really nerf the rifles for long distance, and perhaps bump the total health a little bit. I am getting so frustrated getting shot (and dying) before I can even move an inch in big team battle.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Damn, they should really nerf the rifles for long distance, and perhaps bump the total health a little bit. I am getting so frustrated getting shot (and dying) before I can even move an inch in big team battle.

yeah, i was getting spawn raped last night on ragnarok. spawn ad instantly get shot from multiple angles before i could get to cover. over. and. over.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
That title belongs to Complex.
Complex seems to have been put in the wrong playlist hopper. It's huge and it clearly seems like it would be way better suited for BTB, yet it's exclusive to 4v4/6pFFA gametypes.

Also, is there any word on when the Forge maps are going to start being integrated with matchmaking? Seems like a big waste that the game has three 343-made maps on three unique environments ready to go, yet they're being withheld from the 98% of players that never play custom games.

Have we heard anything from MS about first day sales like we had with Halo 3 and reach? I would think it would of beaten Reaches First day sales TBH.

cluto

Or maybe they should have Ordinance stack. First one is just something like shield recharged, or ammo refill etc. Fill it again and its grenades. Third fill is a power weapon from a choice of three. Die and it resets it down one level. Kinda like charging a Super Bar in a fighting game. :D

I think that would work better.

First Level:
  • Ammo
  • Grenades
  • Speed Boost

Second Level:
  • Mid-tier power weapon (Shotgun / Needler / Railgun / SAW etc.)
  • Mid-tier power weapon
  • Overshield

Third Level:
  • High-tier power weapon (Rockets, Sniper, Incineration Cannon, etc.)
  • High-tier power weapon
  • Damage Boost

Getting to the first tier only takes 30 points or so. Second tier is 60. Third is 90 (maybe those point totals are too low). But yeah, like you said, you can pick what level of ordnance you want by letting the meter stack. I think that would work way better than the current system.

Raide

I think that would work better.

First Level:
  • Ammo
  • Grenades
  • Speed Boost

Second Level:
  • Mid-tier power weapon (Shotgun / Needler / Railgun / SAW etc.)
  • Mid-tier power weapon
  • Overshield

Third Level:
  • High-tier power weapon (Rockets, Sniper, Incineration Cannon, etc.)
  • High-tier power weapon
  • Damage Boost

Getting to the first tier only takes 30 points or so. Second tier is 60. Third is 90 (maybe those point totals are too low). But yeah, like you said, you can pick what level of ordnance you want by letting the meter stack. I think that would work way better than the current system.

That sounds like a plan. If only 343i to add it and test it via a playlist, then it would be interesting to see if it worked or not. For their first outing and drastic changes to the formula, they really should have beta tested it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Posted this in community, but I think it'd be a better fit for discussion here:

Regarding not liking the campaign: it's not like I wanted to feel that way. :( In the last thread, I was grasping at straws trying to find something I was missing (like lore/story) that kept me from enjoying it. I watched the terminals, and that helped colour in a better light (they honestly should have been viewable in-game - really, really dumb move), but it has fundamental problems. I didn't have the same problems as Ghaleon on Heroic (bansees, infinite crawlers), but that may be because I was power-gaming. I found that I could skip or exploit a ton of encounters and had no qualms doing it. I wish I had held myself back and forced my way through every annoying fight against elites who seemed less intelligent than previous games (by the third mission I honestly thought "Well, these guys are probably religious zealots and not soldiers"), and Knights who are completely boring and braindead. That doesn't sound like a solution, but I would've done anything to actually enjoy it.

I think my biggest issues are with the music, the story and the Prometheans. The music, as many have noted, is muted and often times completely forgettable. I thought it may have been my Dolby settings messing with the sound levels, so I set it to bypass, and that didn't change anything. I still wasn't getting pumped by the score.

The story, well, I covered that problem - the terminals needed to be explored in-game. I haven't read the books, so all I know about the Didact was the minor mention in H3 terminals. So his constant voice-overs later in the game were more of an annoyance, similar to Star Fox 64's heckles from the Star Wolf squads or the horrible placations from the prime evils in Diablo 3. I didn't really know why he hates humanity, I didn't know why he was trapped, I didn't know why he was able to all of a sudden control the Prometheans. Going in blind, he was a shitty absent villain without a purpose.

Prometheans are just bad. Going to my campaign stats:

I died 7 times to Jackals and Elites in M4.
19 times to Jackals, Elites and Grunts in M5.
20 times to Jackals, Elites an Hunters in M6.
12 times to Jackals, Elites and Hunters in M7.
33 times to Crawler and Knights in M8 (Half of that is me trying to corral Crawlers into a group of three for the Achievements, suiciding when I had killed too many).

Including my achievement hunting, the Promethean killcount comes to 33, all during the last mission. They simply aren't interesting enemies to fight. Crawlers are like mobile grunts, except they're almost always facing you directly and make headshots incredibly simple to pull off. Their weapons are also peashooters, whereas I can actually fear a Grunt with an overcharged plasma pistol/needler if he has a squad near him.
Knights are... I don't know what. If I had to nail them down I'd say they're like Space Pirates in Metroid Prime 1. They have the same random fast melee lunge, and they mostly stay in a static position firing until they perform a canned transportation move (Space Pirates would randomly lunge, Knights teleport). I guess you could say they're mostly on the defensive. For the life of me, I couldn't get them to leave their posts in the room after you get the Gravity Hammer.

Man, that room. I think it explains every problem I have with the Prometheans. They seem overly scripted. Even if you fire on the crawlers, they won't move up to the top level in groups greater than three. They're normally rushing everywhere else in the game (like the area just before, where they spawn infinitely), but here, they don't. Likely because that behaviour wasn't scripted in. The Knights always stay in their designated area (two inn the middle and two in the lower area), so you can peg them off easily from the top. And a single watcher just hovers in an open area on the bottom level, waiting to be shot, wishing I'd forget and throw a grenade to make its only trademark ability shine.

I really hope they don't come back in their current form. I get the feeling they're the reason I'm going to give up on Spartan Ops mid-way through the season too. I only had trouble with them in the 4th SpOps mission when Watchers and Crawlers are constantly appearing, and that's because I probably destroyed the portals too quickly (you can stand outside one portal building and shoot out the ones opposite to it).

Kydd BlaZe

My goodness this game is gorgeous. I shudder to think of what 343 could accomplish with next generation hardware.

Halo 4 is without a doubt one of the most graphically advanced games I have ever layed eyes on. I can't believe 343 was able to squeeze all of dat juice out of the 360. That shit cray...

RS4-

Any reason why I can't access theater? It worked once, when I was able to browse my temp games, but nothing now.

Hell I just finished a run of 5 games and nothing shows up anyway. The R3 thing worked once.

edit - nm, I had to go to spartan hub instead, then back to the theater.

abadguy

Banned
Funny because I find the thrusters to be the most meh AA.

They're pretty much my main AA, in reach i was a jet pack user but i don't find it as i did there. I haven't used promethean vision outside of campaign. A lot of people are complaining about it, comparing it to armor lock which was the worst thing about MPin reach , honestly it has'nt yet really been an issue for me in MP. Then again neither was armor lock at first.

Dreaver

Is there some kind of trueskill system in this game? The first day I was racking up kills from noobs running in a straight line with their assault rifles towards me... Now I am getting my ass kicked pretty hard in a lot of games.

Are the Killcams broken for everyone?

I think so, it's pretty random when they show up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ugh, I just don't know right now. I really don't like the standard Promethean squad. I think the little doggies remind me of the Flood that shoot lasers out of their ass from Cortana, and I just hate hate hate flying units in everything, so they suck shit. I feel like when I shoot the flying things, I get almost no reaction. Often they turn sideways and become 4 pixels wide and fly off.

edit: And I don't like the music.

Trey

Is there some kind of trueskill system in this game? The first day I was racking up kills from noobs running in a straight line with their assault rifles towards me... Now I am getting my ass kicked pretty hard in a lot of games.

Yeah, there's true skill.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Yes there is TrueSkill and matchmaking is taking advantage of it. I've been matching against some guys I used to play MLG with/against back in Reach and Halo 3. It's not perfect but it's doing a much better job than Reach is.

More time spent, opinion not changing. The game still isn't fun. And... holy random unbelievable sci-fi, Batman. Just finished the fifth mission. The first four missions, I'm like "what the heck is going on and why." After the fifth mission, I'm like "on second thought, don't tell me." And this nonsense with
human captain Del Rio. Zero to cold hostility in .5 seconds? And now Master Chief is ignoring orders?
. I'm fairly confident that I'm tapping out after this game. No more (new) Halo.

Top Bottom