• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

MYeager

Snipers seem rather pointless when you have DMR everywhere. The maps aren't big enough for the range difference to become an issue and DMR obviously fires way faster. Maybe in Ragnorock if you want shoot at the enemy base from your base otherwise no point. Binary rifle seems usable from close range to me. I still haven't seen all the maps.

I'm not sure what you can do about pretty much everyone using DMR, it's an early weapon and the most effective of the bunch in these maps, so all the starters are using it which is almost everyone. I'd say reduce the mag size and overall ammo but even then you die and respawn so fast it wouldn't matter all that much.

I actually like the ordinance system, it's pretty good, the problem with the mp is mostly DMR right now. no one uses assault rifle or storm rifle or quite a few of other guns seem unused,

I tried using the visor it's good for starters I imagine, you can do a lot better with other AA like jetpack and others, movements are pretty fast that visor isn't all that useful when you get better at the game and know the maps and weapons better. It's good for running away mostly or if you want to do melee from back maybe.

armor designs I don't like, bring elites back :\

also banshees are useless to me, they are indeed death trap.

I've done just fine with the storm and assault rifles, however if I choose either of those guns I don't try to shoot it out with DMR/BR players from a distance since that's suicide.

Like the assault rifle, the visor can be great, depending on the location of the map you are in. In the parts of a map with narrow corridors, being able to see through walls and line up your shot before the guy even gets around the corner is a small advantage, but that's all you need. It also isn't fooled by holograms or cloaking and makes a good rock to the scissors.

Neither of mine squeak at all. I was happily surprised when both turned out to be in great shape.

Great, I called Xbox support and as usual they are useless. They want me to mail them in on my dime and then they will send me replacements. You know they will send the wrong ones back. Pretty pissed, one of them is really bad.

TheOddOne

For the Spartan Ops fans (Is there such a thing?):
Noticed this in a portfolio of an artist who worked on Halo 4:

070_large.jpg

836_large.jpg

= Level "Core" from Week 1.

Now the next two might pictures might show a level that will be coming up:

227_large.jpg

758_large.jpg

It is tagged as "Halo 4 Alien Jungle concept"

Source.

I think the speed boost is one of my favorite things about halo 4. I might start messing around with the settings and trying to make an Unreal/Quake analogue gametype

TheOddOne

I really should get around to playing Spartan Ops. It sounds like a bunch of legit story levels.
So far the levels have been well designed, enemy encounters are fun, the music selection is awesome and gameplay takes precedence before story. Think the way Reach mission structure was. Only downside is that they took the challenge out of it, because you can respawn forever.

the_id

I just finished the singe player. Man that was awesome! Prior to starting this, I just finished Halo 3 and Halo Reach. Those two pale in comparison to this. The story was amazing, the graphics jaw dropping, the sound effects were beautiful. The only two qualms that I have for this game would the music and the mission structure.

The music wasn't as memorable as Halo Reach or Halo 3. There is something missing there that I can't point towards. The main theme was 'ok' but weak compared to to the previous trilogy theme.

Then there were the mission structures. It was varied but I hate pressing switches after switches after switches. And compared to Halo 3, there wasn't much of an epicness to the scale of the battles.

But these are just minor complaints. Overall, this would be my game of the year. Well done 343. Looking forward to Halo 5.

I freaking love the multiplayer, LOVE IT! I really wasn't thrilled when I heard about the Cod esque perks and unlocks but it has added a major level of addiction to a game I was already addicted to. I do think there needs to be tweaks but I think we all knew going in this is what would naturally happen when you are dealing with a component this large in scale.

Some how they need to make the Assault Rifle more appealing and I think they could do that by beefing up its damage in close quarters to the tip of medium length. It should be a bit better than the BR in its close to med money range and it should be able to pretty much dominate the DMR in that same area. Just one man's opinion though.

Not in game. Which was odd. It wouldn't have been too hard to have an officer aboard Infinity fill in Chief and Cortana on that. It's explained in the books though:

There is a splinter sect of former Covenant who still hate and want to rid the galaxy of humanity.

They ask in the game why are the Covenant fighting us again and they don't ever discuss that again.. How can 343 let something like that and the terminals miss being in the actual game?

Thanks though, that's the whole Storm thing then huh. Definitely should've been explained somewhere attached to the game if not the actual game itself ;\

Plasma Grenades in general are disappoint :(

Had to switch to frags cuz the other two felt worthless.

MormaPope

Banned
King of the Hill is bumping. If you want to earn XP play King of the Hill, I earned 600 XP at the end of one game not counting end match bonuses.

def sim

So far the levels have been well designed, enemy encounters are fun, the music selection is awesome and gameplay takes precedence before story. Think the way Reach mission structure was. Only downside is that they took the challenge out of it, because you can respawn forever.

Any additional story content is welcome because I'm honestly a little lost. I'll get to this and the terminals tomorrow afternoon. Anyway, it's a shame about the challenge though maybe I won't mind some ease after playing through the campaign.

It's good if you're a fan of science types and eggheads.

That is totally lost on me!

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
there's something wrong with the regen. if you are low on health and use the regen and fill up your shields quickly and someone starts shooting you, you will die faster then having to wait for your shields to refill normally. i hope im wrong but it keeps happening over and over to me.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
there's something wrong with the regen. if you are low on health and use the regen and fill up your shields quickly and someone starts shooting you, you will die faster then having to wait for your shields to refill normally. i hope im wrong but it keeps happening over and over to me.

When in regen field, your shield charges right away but at a much slower rate, so it's good to use a field and get out of it right away... Don't hide in it as its a death trap

It's best to step in to start your shield charge and immediately step right out

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is the thruster pack useful for anything?

No. Two reasons why: there is little gain... And almost all gain is lost with the disorientation of going to third person camera. Whoever thought 3rd person camera was necessary should be slapped

Great, I called Xbox support and as usual they are useless. They want me to mail them in on my dime and then they will send me replacements. You know they will send the wrong ones back. Pretty pissed, one of them is really bad.

I got my console from Amazon. If I had a problem, they'd replace them at no cost. Where'd you get yours?

thrustin

But yeah, it's disappointingly useless aside from dodging grenades

No. Two reasons why: there is little gain... And almost all gain is lost with the disorientation of going to third person camera. Whoever thought 3rd person camera was necessary should be slapped
People say this a lot.. Makes me want to make a montage of the Thrusters domination in the right hands. Thruster is a great AA for both defense and offense. 10 sensitivity with Mobility, Dexterity and Thrusters.

My body has been craving another fast Halo game and I can't wait for the newer maps to come out. December right? :D Definitely could use more maps with the aesthetics of Haven over the rocky textures in a lot of the maps.

Thrusters is good if you know when to use it. Don't understand why people think it's useless. It saves my ass like 5 times a game. But yea, going into 3rd person is lame, especially since we know that it used to be first person.

Sojgat

Finished my solo run on legendary, enjoyed the campaign a bit more this time. I don't know what some of you people are talking about, this is the easiest legendary difficulty ever for Halo. I still haven't found all the terminals, wish those things were a bit more obvious to find.

It's good for quickly getting around corners when people are chasing you, escaping from snipers, and dodging oncoming vehicles. It's great for getting the sticky grenades on warthogs, I've gotten so many triple kills that way. I agree with others that it really isn't necessary to have it throw into third-person view when you use it.

Finished my solo run on legendary, enjoyed the campaign a bit more this time. I don't know what some of you people are talking about, this is the easiest legendary difficulty ever for Halo. I still haven't found all the terminals, wish those things were a bit more obvious to find.

Was it your first playthrough? If not, then it's substantially less difficult.

Also, anyone know what's up with Extraction? Why is that not in MM? Don't let that turn into Firefight Versus 343.. The more gametypes the better!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I've used it a lot to escape death. Running past a wall and thrusting behind it gets you into cover way quicker than stopping and changing direction. You can extend jumps quite a bit, but this is only useful on the bigger maps. Changing your direction mid-air and being able to 180 with it is amazing.

It could use some tweaking, but people just think its more useless than it actually is because by the time the camera zooms out, you've already boosted. They can't tell how good it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is kinda like an animu when you think about it.

Master Chief: Cortana...
Cortana: Chief...
Cortana: ...

If only Cortana would say uguu, my heart would be full.

Sean P.

One of my favorite Halo games by far, so time to offer some crits!

Explosions: Explosions in this game are the lamest things I have ever seen. Kill a phantom and it explodes like a plasma grenade making enough debris to fill a backpack. What? That was a huge ship...

Needler: Most OP gun ever

Flying AI: Holy hell what happened here? Banshees hit everything, sentinels don't know how to fly smoothly, AI just runs into shit with jagged flight paths. Not to mention banshees have a knack for 180 degree turns while firing fuel rods that kill you instantly.

Instant Kill enemies: Also kind of annoying, so many things can one shot you in this game. Covie snipers, promethean crawler snipers, promethean knight snipers, promethean big guy hitting you after their magic bum rush, wraith, promethean heavy...it goes on.

Shotguns: Do most have a delay now between trigger pull and firing? Seems a little off or something

Rank/Playlists: I believe more playlists are being added very soon, but why no 1-50 ranks :[

And some questions:

Is the forerunner pistol better than the magnum? I seem to see a lot of people using it as their default secondary

Just played a game with no score tally at the end and no XP given, I was top of the leaderboard too :(

2 oddballs in a row no tally at the end, whaaaa

remz

And some questions:

Is the forerunner pistol better than the magnum? I seem to see a lot of people using it as their default secondary
I don't know if it's straight up better, but the Shotgun alt-fire on it seems to catch people out incredibly easily- and it's gotten me way too many easy kills for me to go back to the magnum

Recarpo

Has anybody else had an oddball game on complex where the other team has somehow gotten into the geometry of a building with no way of getting to them? Had it happen last night and two guys just stood in the wall of a building throwing the ball back and forth.

Has anybody else had an oddball game on complex where the other team has somehow gotten into the geometry of a building with no way of getting to them? Had it happen last night and two guys just stood in the wall of a building throwing the ball back and forth.

That map has a clipping gap above that doorway, people use it in zombies too which is pointless since you need to kill to get points. To get in there jump at the top of the arch and crouch as you hit the wall you should go in.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
All part of the nerfing of what would've been the top AA. In one of the earlier builds it was all first person and it was glorious.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Another day, and more lag. Earlier it ran fine with no problems like this, now it's to the point I just might give this game up.

Top Bottom