• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

bitoriginal

So all im seeing on gaf nowadays is people complaining about how every little detail wasnt perfect for them.

*helpful hint* If you want to actually enjoy most Video games, don't expect everything to be perfect to you're liking.

I'm down with this. You enjoy what you've got, not complain about what you haven't got. Constructive criticism is fine though.

Feindflug

So how does this rank in the series Halo Gaf? I've yet to play t.

Well as with every other Halo game you'll see a lot of different opinions ranging from awesome to mediocre.

I personally thought the campaign was fuckin' amazing and while the game lacks in terms of scale when compared to Halo 3 or Reach it's firefights and it's level design is brilliant and so well executed.

For me it's something like this: Halo 3>Halo: CE>Halo 4>Halo 3: ODST>Halo Reach>Halo 2.

eso76

Also, i'm not liking what they did to granades at all.
Not satisfying in sound, look and especially effectiveness.
You throw your first one expecting to send grunts in the air and it goes "paff !". What the hell is up with that ? looks like the Chief is throwing petards.

They do little damage and range is so limited they will only affect enemies stupid enough to step on them.
I can understand doing so in multiplayer (then again, not really, dropping a frag as you were being killed in hopes you'd take your murderer with you never got old) but SP ?

Fuchsdh

The new music is beautiful at times but as others have said it's really generic and not memorable at all. I can rattle off a ton of tracks in my head from Halo 1 and 2, but for the life of me I can hardly remember the beautiful music that plays when you emerge from the wreckage in Requiem and look over the plains.

Granted, it's mostly certain riffs and recurring themes that I remember, such as this one.

The music simply wasn't finished, in my opinion. In some cinematics it just fades out like a bad Youtube video. The fact that the composer wasn't in-house like Marty is probably the biggest disadvantage the score has, but I also agree with others in that it was also mixed rather low and didn't really feel that memorable during gameplay, more like sonic wallpaper you hardly recognize.

Dat lunge

CgoeX.gif

QP3

Anyone else getting rocker by the needler? I like to rock the BR, but even at longer mid-range I am getting smoked by the needler.

The new music is beautiful at times but as others have said it's really generic and not memorable at all. I can rattle off a ton of tracks in my head from Halo 1 and 2, but for the life of me I can hardly remember the beautiful music that plays when you emerge from the wreckage in Requiem and look over the plains.

Granted, it's mostly certain riffs and recurring themes that I remember, such as this one.

I kind of agree. Halo 4's soundtrack is really, really good, but it isn't an instant classic like Marty's Halo soundtracks. It has to do with memorability - O'Donnell's scores had a lot of memorable, recurring themes, and they were both beautiful and mysterious. Halo 4's soundtrack doesn't have many recognisable themes, and it suffers a bit for it.

Red

You're aware you need to take out the flying things around them first I gather? I like the Scattershot on them, up very close.
Yup always get them first. I googled it and it seems they have a shield like elites, but the feedback is not as good. I notice a pop after a few shots but there is not a noticeable difference between shielded/unshielded.

I tried the scattershot but it doesn't seem much better than the bolt shot, which takes them out with two close range charges and remains useful for the crawlers at a distance. I try to avoid getting too close anyway... I am not sure what to make of the teleportation, which is unpredictable and serves only to prolong battles. They seem to do it more at medium/close range so i try to stay as far away as possible.

There have been a couple of times where a knight appeared right behind me, leading immediately to a melee kill death. I think that's kind of unfair.

@eso: at medium/close range, the needler absolutely slays. It is the one standard weapon that will quickly kill anything. If i do not have a weapon capable of headshots, i go for the needler.

I dunno what call to make on the campaign yet. I'm only halfway through, but usually by this point I have a good idea of what to think about Halo. This one looks visually spectacular... It is certainly the most fun to watch. But i find myself getting frustrated or even bored with many skirmishes. I think pretty much all the other games (minus 2) had a better claim to "10 seconds of fun."

It definitely has its moments. Mission 3 from the halfway point on was a blast (ending run perhaps a little iffy).

StuBurns

Banned
Yup always get them first. I googled it and it seems they have a shield like elites, but the feedback is not as good. I notice a pop after a few shots but there is not a noticeable difference between shielded/unshielded.

I tried the scattershot but it doesn't seem much better than the bolt shot, which takes them out with two close range charges and remains useful for the crawlers at a distance. I try to avoid getting too close anyway... I am not sure what to make of the teleportation, which is unpredictable and serves only to prolong battles. They seem to do it more at medium/close range so i try to stay as far away as possible.

There have been a couple of times where a knight appeared right behind me, leading immediately to a melee kill death. I think that's kind of unfair.

@eso: at medium/close range, the needler absolutely slays. It is the one standard weapon that will quickly kill anything. If i do not have a weapon capable of headshots, i go for the needler.
Yeah, they do have some sort of shield, you get those blue flashes over their faces after a few DMR shots for example. Sorry I couldn't be greater help.

I just finished finding the Terminals, and watching them. That stuff really should have been in the main game for everyone, really cool, and helps the campaign's story I think.

jet1911

It's strange that the soundtrack is put to better use in Spartan Ops than in the Campaign.

I just finished finding the Terminals, and watching them. That stuff really should have been in the main game for everyone, really cool, and helps the campaign's story I think.

Yep. I'd like to read the reasoning behind this decision.

munroe

I think it's because people quit or can't connect to host because of their NAT type, before then the game is seeing the right count.

I'm also finding that games start up quite quickly once one finishes, people are still checking post game stats, carnage report, then all of a sudden they're already in the map selection stage then they decide to leave.

No_Style

Context: I played both Reach & Halo 4 on Heroic.

I finished the campaign last night but is it just me or did the enemy A.I take a step back. I felt Reach's Elites gave a lot more pressure than the ones in Halo 4. Most of the enemies didn't feel very aggressive at all in this game.

I finished the campaign last night but is it just me or did the enemy A.I take a step back. I felt Reach's Elites gave a lot more pressure than the ones in Halo 4. Most of the enemies didn't feel very aggressive at all in this game.

I played through Dawn on legendary for the challenge. And as soon as the AI lost line of sight of me they would just stand around and not do anything.

MrDaravon

Does anyone understand how scoring works in Flood? I'm trying to get two wins for one of the Daily Challenges, and almost every match I'm getting a "tie" which isn't counting as a win. Like I just came in 2nd place, and it said it was a "tie", but I didn't tie with anyone, and in previous games the top half of players were considered the winner. I'm confused.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Does anyone understand how scoring works in Flood? I'm trying to get two wins for one of the Daily Challenges, and almost every match I'm getting a "tie" which isn't counting as a win. Like I just came in 2nd place, and it said it was a "tie", but I didn't tie with anyone, and in previous games the top half of players were considered the winner. I'm confused.

The winner is the person who ends the game with the most points.

It's a novel concept.

Omni

Does anyone know why my subtitles setting doesn't stick? I set it to On, and it randomly returns to Automatic, very irritating.

In previous games if you turned them on and played another game afterwards, when you went back to Halo it would be on "auto" again.

No_Style

I played through Dawn on legendary for the challenge. And as soon as the AI lost line of sight of me they would just stand around and not do anything.

Agreed I recall Reach's enemies using "last known position" routine or whatever much more. I never felt completely safe in Reach but in Halo 4 enemies rarely showed up if I was behind cover. Crawlers would show up but I NEVER encountered an Elite and they never threw a grenade to flush me out.

MrDaravon

The winner is the person who ends the game with the most points.

It's a novel concept.

Fuck off. It's a FFA gametype, in previous Halos (including this exact gametype) if you came in the top half of players it was considered a "win". If they changed it that's kind of stupid, but whatever. However I got 2nd place, did not have the same number of points as anyone else in the game and it said it was a tie, which makes no sense. I also just got 6th in another game, did not have the same number of points as anyone else in the game, and it said it was a tie again. And it can't be going by kills (instead of score) since in the game I'm looking at the guy with the most kills got second.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have to chime in on the tiny super-thin all-caps font they've used for MP. Jesus, what were they thinking? Going back to Reach with it's thick bold fonts is a godsend as far as readability is concerned.
I'm glad it's not just me. My eyes honestly hurt after playing for a while, trying to read the scoreboard, carnage report, etc. There seem to be three or four different font sizes on the HUD alone. The +5/10/xx pop-ups and the status messages (took the lead, etc.) are readable, with the killfeed being just barely there as well, but the text indicating what commendation or challenge you just earned, as well as the scoreboard, is completely illegible to me. The game is extremely slick-looking, but it's a case of form over function.

One other aesthetic change that I don't like, although it's such a tiny thing — no world map on the MP menu with players' locations illuminated. I don't know, I just got so used to seeing that in Halo games that it's weird to not have it anymore. It made the game feel more "alive" if that even makes sense.

derFeef

I have to say the Prometheans are very boring to fight, I expected them to be a step up from the Elites, but they are actually not very dangerous. Maybe I have not met the "real" ones yet?

Red

I have to say the Prometheans are very boring to fight, I expected them to be a step up from the Elites, but they are actually not very dangerous. Maybe I have not met the "real" ones yet?
They are boring by themselves i agree, but they make for some fun mixed battles.

I don't get the teleporting. It just delays things. It doesn't make things more fun.

I will also echo the AI woes. The banshee AI is especially terrible but i consider that an anomaly. Everything else simply feels static. I miss the scale and energy of fights in 3-Reach. Things are dialed back here and less frenetic. Even on legendary it's not very interesting.

Red

The teleporting should be faster, not this slow vanish. And I would like if the Watchers would actually react to shots.
They fold their wings up and float away. Do you mean they should give more feedback that they've been hit? I agree with that, the prometheans overall don't do a good job telegraphing information.

The teleporting though... I just don't get it. 343 gets rid of armor lock after complaints it holds up the game, then creates an entire enemy class with the ability to turn firefights into Where's Waldo-esque search games. There was one last night who kept blipping on and off my radar for a good two minutes before i found him. I was half expecting to hear the theme from Benny Hill.

It's remedied somewhat by retreating and returning to an area, so they get reset into their starting positions. But to me that is exposing a flaw.

And what's with doors always closing behind me

Played a couple hours of Infinity Slayer on Election night, hated it.

Played a few hours of Spartan Ops and Big Team Battle last night and had a blast.

Kill times are entirely too short in this game, which throws a lot of things off. It breaks a lot of the "immersion" of hey, I'm this 7 foot war machine in a suit of battler armor--wait what, I die in less than a second at full health? It ruins a lot of the tactical play of individual gunfights that Halo is known for. Think about if you could drop an Elite in singleplayer as quickly as a human player in MP, Halo would be crap (you wouldn't get to see all the cool AI effects etc).

Overall I'd say Halo 4 has, easily, the worst 4-on-4 Team Slayer of any game, but overall feels like one of the better Halos due to the strength of modes like BTB and Ops. I'll probably start the campaign during Thanksgiving, so hopefully that's a standout.

Top Bottom