• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
very anticlimactic and confusing wasn't it. made me go, that's it?

Yeah, it also ruined
the mystery of Master Chief. I guess that's the direction they're going with though, and they're trying to show his human side.

I'm gonna echo the complaint that the Prometheans just aren't as fun to fight as the Covenant.

I think the Covenant should be phased out in favor of new enemies across the board, but the Prometheans have a ways to go before they're as fun and iconic as the Covenant were. They should make the Knights way more lethal and proactive. The Crawlers and Watchers are pretty good, but I feel like the whole game every Promethean encounter was just me waiting behind a wall picking off the Crawlers and Watchers before running up against the Knight with a Scattershot or Suppresor and finishing it quickly. Knights need to be hunting you and flanking you!

There needs to be a couple more unit types for Prometheans, and probably a whole other faction of enemy to replace the Covenant.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Campaign, as pretty as it was and as good as the cutscenes were for once, was pretty boring. I chalk this up either to limitations attached to the graphics (bit more of a corridor focus with no big ass entire island maps like from Halo 1, 3, or Reach), and perhaps even more the very few levels with combat marines all around for all out war. Also no idea where theyre gonna go with Halo 5 unless its a human civil war angle as theyve really written themselves into a bit of a corner here.

On the other side, despite totally falling out of love with Halo Multiplayer after 3, having a great distaste for Reach's especially, they've got the formula super right here as I'm totally loving the shit out of it and finding it very moreish.

Striker

BTB has always been, and will always be, the best part of Halo multiplayer.
The best days of BTB will often come in objective based games. Since they destroyed Assault, it's down to CTF basically. That said I will take BTB CTF over BTB Slayer any day.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Is there any sort of guide or legend to the ordnance icons? At this point, it's still trial and error for me to guess what I'm choosing. Had speed boost come up a minute ago and had no idea what it was by the icon... same with a few others.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I like Halo 4 so far, the multiplayer grinding to unlock weapons in the loadout is anoying because it punishes n00bs too much imo

Noobs punish themselfs by trying to play a hardcore game like HALO online. They should return to cod and stop wasting good team slots.

wtfs up with the KILLCAM, ain't seen one in days.

GAMERG0D

This is probably useless asking this but does anyone know where I can get Halo 4 GameFuel in the Orlando area? I can find regular Mt. Dew with the Halo 4 stuff but I want GameFuel.

Kerub

Banned
It seems like I'm having a hard time finishing off my kills. In my last game I had almost twice as many assists as kills, haha.

Ferny

This is probably useless asking this but does anyone know where I can get Halo 4 GameFuel in the Orlando area? I can find regular Mt. Dew with the Halo 4 stuff but I want GameFuel.
What part of Orlando? Just left Walmart over on East Colonial and they had some.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I like Halo 4 so far, the multiplayer grinding to unlock weapons in the loadout is anoying because it punishes n00bs too much imo

the grind is all of like 5 matches. and you get defualt loadouts with br/dmr anyways.

Max

I am not Max
Does anyone else find the controller vibration in this game excessive? There are points in cutscenes where it becomes distracting... Playing campaign at the moment, using a launch 360 controller that feels like its going to jump out of my hands. I literally have to firm my grip on my controller for it to not make a ton of noise since there's no option to turn the thing off A LA HALO 2

BearPawB

Banned
Oh, that
turret sequence?
It might, but I think that was the only point.

Hmm....i dont remember what was going on lol

you had to defend the area, a bunch of lasers popped up (that shot the crawlers but did seemingly no damage), then you have to run across this bridge to get to a portal.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cross-posting impressions from Community. Finished campaign on Wednesday, finally finished my write up, or at least there's no point in inflating it further now since observations are changing so quickly. Heroic, 6h 56m according to my service record. Waypoint totaled it up to about 25 minutes longer, maybe that's cutscenes included?

Impressions, some of the game at large. Long post, and I'm sure it's missing a lot of observations I failed to write down. I wrote all of this on my phone over the course of the week so bear with me if there are spelling/grammatical errors:

Stuff I like:
  • This game is beautiful. Technically, but more importantly artistically. IMO best looking game period regardless of platform. The art design trumps any technical merits other games may excel with in my eyes. I had difficulty writing this up because there are so many breathtaking moments that make you lean back in your chair and go "wow." Last time that happened to me this gen was probably the GTA IV trailer. I think I will definitely have a lot of fun playing through this on Legendary, only wish there were still Campaign commendations.
  • It certainly plays and feels like Halo, which was my biggest scare. Overall, the game feels like a logical evolution in mechanics, and the ordnance systems don't feel too out of place as I thought they would. 343 nailed the combat loop and the gunplay.
  • The gun sounds. Oh lord, the gun sounds. DAT SAW
  • Level design for the most part is stellar. Tons of what appear to be homages to classic Halo encounters, especially from Halo 1. A lot of cues taken from Halo 1 actually.
    ALSO THE RETURN OF GONDOLAS
    It is very apparent they took the best bits of all the Halo games as inspiration when it came to encounter and level design, and what kind of segments fans have been asking for forever. You could say its safe design, but 343 did it right, they've created a fantastic sense of old and new.
  • The campaign was much more vehicle-heavy than I expected. I mean the bits are good but I certainly got the impression the large amount of vehicle segments were supposed to help show off the scale of the game. They succeeded.
  • The game nails that science fiction feel well.
    The start of the last level.. Awaking to the ashes of humans around you.. Exiting a cave to a surreal yet beautiful world of discovery.. Low gravity fighting.. The feeling of inferiority compared to your environment and your opposition even while knowing you are the beast that you are. Check after check after check.
  • The Star Wars-esque beginning to the last mission was breathtaking and fucking amazing, better than the Ghost segment, which dragged on a wee bit too long, but was still enjoyable. Hell, at times I felt the music was VERY reminiscent of Star Wars too.
  • New sandbox additions are awesome but I feel a lot of them cover too similar ground and thus feel like there's some sort of need for equivalencies and variants instead of fresh, different options and niches altogether. Not complaining though, just noting. From rifles to machine guns, there's a lot of overlap and ambiguous utility. RIP Plasma Rifle. It seems like they took a safe approach when it came to expansions to the sandbox, and I can't really blame them. Forerunner grenades seem to be the weakest of the bunch, maybe they'll grow on me, but the immediate effectiveness, even in closing off choke points, is better with the other two types. Favourite new gun is probably the Railgun at the moment, so satisfying even though I'm terrible.
  • Maps are a mixed bag. On one hand, Adrift, Ragnarok (for certain game types), Haven are great. Meltdown is interesting, but I've yet to learn any efficient ways of getting through the map and placing yourself in advantageous positions cause nobody fucking picks it. Indifferent on the rest, really. Vortex is kind of meh, I feel like it needs to be scaled down because it's already bordering on vehicles not being needed. Complex is terrible, a map full of buildings you don't want to be in, where you can get smoked from across the map entirely. Awkward ramp geometry doesn't help. I thank 343 for Haven at this point, it appears that'll be this game's Lockout, as it seems to work beautifully for a wide range of players and game types.
  • Infinity Slayer is really fun, and does put a lot of power into the player and really does make you implicitly feel like you are contributing. No matter how ass you are, you'll likely get at least one drop per game, my only gripes are the Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon, which both are stupid OP, even if rare, and it's noticeable as the experience turns to "okay that was some goddamn bullshit" whenever you get hit with either.
  • Personal load outs are a welcomed addition, save for complaints made in the latter half of this post. I'm gravitating to specific set ups a lot more than I do in CoD, I guess because I have an affinity with a lot of these weapons already. AR/Boltshot for short-to-mid range KotH and BR/Boltshot for mid-to-long range KotH and grenade-heavy encounters. I still feel it could do without perks altogether though.
  • I really like Domination, though like every other team-based mode, your teammates are usually a mixed bag of usefulness. Great in concept though. Haven't tried Regicide yet, maybe I will when a challenge forces me too. KotH seems to be the star of the show though, I think 343 finally fully realized the potential in this mode and made it shine with the mechanics of the game. They're only missteps were adding Complex and Ragnarok to rotation. This game needs new maps ASAP.
  • Its kind of cool how the villain isn't really there to be the villain as much as he is to aid the progress the story of the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana primarily, and test Master Chief on something other than strength. That said, he does look badass and I wish we saw him more. Though I also agree with what some said in these threads, Cortana casually puts a name to him and Chief doesn't question it like he does everything else at that point in the game, which caught me off guard like I missed something.
  • Universe-building has hit it's stride, this looks like the fastest expansion in the history of the franchise. I like. After the events in the game, I'm really excited to see what they do with Halo 5, as
    The Didact is presumably still alive, Chief *needs* a new AI, other Halos have been discovered and the UNSC has set up shop there for a while now, and the Chief has received an evolutionary augmentation that could make him more resilient going crazy or maybe make him immune. The game did well being a contained story, yet opening up possibilities for sequels. I feel like we will see the return of the Flood, Chief finally reuniting with Halsey at the start of the next game, the return to other Halo installations that now blend UNSC and Forerunner artistic elements from their prolonged occupation, and perhaps the return of the Arbiter who will provide his own insight on the rogue Covenant and the new Forerunner revelations that have been bestowed onto the Chief. I just want to see Arby get a sexy makeover too.
  • Master Chief talks more in the first level of this game than the entire rest of the series it seems.
  • Jon Favreau is credited in the Special Thanks, anyone know what he contributed?
  • Spartan Ops is a curious case. I love the idea of short, bite sized missions that very slowly progress a story. It lets them create some focused encounters and environments. However, I feel like this will be hurt down the line if it does not see any more objective variety than what the campaign has. Comparisons to Firefight puzzle me, as it's really it's own beast. I also like that it's free, and a welcomed addition to Halo IMO.
  • Technical hiccups very rare, less than in any other Halo game. In fact I can only think of said issues twice, once in SP and once in MP.

Stuff I don't like:
  • Why did they get rid of Campaign commendations? Weird exclusion for what was a standard feature across all modes.
  • Mantis is fun, but I'm kind of indifferent on it overall. The best bit of it is how the rockets are arranged on the left arm, but other than that, it does nothing for me aesthetically since its as generic of a mech as possible. And it is pretty dominant on Ragnarok if your not too aggressive (even moreso if your opponents are dimwits that haven't touched a Plasma Pistol since Halo 1).
  • Prometheans are kind of fun to fight, and they're definitely different to fight than enemies we're used too, but my main complaint is that they're WAY too one dimensional in terms of your attack strategy. Irregardless of situation, you must always take out first Watchers, then Turrets, then Crawlers, then Knights (because Knights are pussies and will never test you or your defensiveness as much as Elites will who are not afraid to charge). As a result, playing the long or even mid-range game is given a bigger focus and make things a lot easier if you have patience.
  • Not sure how I feel with regards to the ending in terms of closure and as preparation for subsequent games. There's a sweet spot between cliffhanger and full closure and it just doesn't feel like this has hit it.
    The ending all happens so quick, and I'm not a fan of those dream-like sequences taking their time to bend reality momentarily. Plus it was awkward as hell seeing Cortana full-size wanting to touch the Chief and that somehow was supposed to be an emotional moment, yet it was with Rampant Cortana and not Cortana which made it all the weirder.
    Slightly disappointed, but the rest of the game is so good who gives a fuck.
  • Not a fan of the delivery of a lot of Master Chief's lines, particularly the last thing he says in the game. I get that they're trying to deliver a more emotional narrative, and I get that they must maintain the machine-like quality to his interactions with people (as that is a theme in this game), but hearing a slight change in intonation or something would be nice. If the Chief finally gets chinks in his armor, I want to hear it through his voice, not just see it through subtle changes in pose.
  • Ammo shortages seem to be a consistent issue in SP. I always felt like straining the amount of ammo available for you was always a cheap way to add difficulty, and force you to scavenge and use shitty weapons unless you played things perfectly as intended, which obviously isn't great for sanbox-y games. Level the difficulty at the strategic level, 343, not where my super soldier is reduced to a peasant after every encounter.
  • QTEs. Yeah, they're VERY infrequent, but if so why the hell are they even there? They just feel cheap and they make me question why they're even there more than they annoy me. Super scripted stuff like that stands out amongst the sandboxy nature of the rest of the franchise, and just takes you out of the experience.
  • Player progression in multiplayer is terrible. Bad idea, especially when you have to play many hours to even unlock the basics to be competitive. Effectively, default load outs are more useful than anything you can customize until you get to high enough of an SR. This is bad design at work. By far the worst aspect of the game alongside Forge.
  • Objective variety, or the lack thereof is a definite issue, one that wasn't prevalent in previous games. I hope this is a central focus moving on to Halo 5. I feel this significantly hurts how high I'd place the campaign compared with others. It's between Halo 1 and Reach still, but I feel it could've been close to or could have surpassed Halo 1 if this wasn't the case.
  • Lack of advancement in Forge. I have been very vocal of this but Forge needs that revolution rather than these micro evolutions from what we got first 5 years ago. I understand Halo 4 is ambitious in other regards but this shit IS long overdue and if it's not a full-on map editor with landscape editing with proper fucking canvasses by Halo 5, I honestly think they don't care any more. Give us empty space and a skybox. That's it. This is especially troubling when they still refuse to give proper colour options in the game. Forge overall is a huge disappointment. Also let's not forget it still has 99% of the same dull pieces as Reach Forge.
  • Forge file browser is down and nowhere to be found on a PC either. This is disappointing considering how quick people come up with stuff and how hilarious it is to go back and look at early stuff later in a games life. This is functionality the is just not working day 1 and deserves more of an uproar. Unacceptable.
  • Am I daft or is the game type customization lacking in comparison to Reach? Or is the menu reorganization throwing me off? Why is there no Slayer but there's a Slayer Pro?
  • On the flip side, the Didact remains quite mysterious for the gravity he carries, and is resultantly undeveloped, pretty much all the info about him is dropped within a minute or two and the rest of the important information is in Terminals which are not immediately apparent to all players and would be better served within the actual game, no reason why such crucial contextual information should be withheld and place in periphery content. I hear he is much more developed in the books, etc., but this is exactly what I don't want happening with the franchise, where it leans too heavily on auxiliary media to explain the story. Not that I'm saying it does to an extreme content, but still I hope they delve deeper into him in 5 going onwards. Also kinda sucks that you never got to fight him though... I finished the game with a fully loaded Incineration Cannon to smoke his ass and all I got was a QTE.

tl;dr:
play Halo 4
it's a good game

The soundtrack seems to be mixed really low for me. I can barely hear it a lot of the time.

This!

I finished the game yesterday (it was awesome) and have since tinkered around in Spartan Ops and War Games. And I realized that the music is perfectly mixed in SpOps, whereas during campaign gameplay I tended to have a really hard time simply hearing the music.
That's basically the only thing that really bothered me. I like the music a lot, too, so why won't 343 let me actually hear it?

More importantly: Why can I still not adjust the sound in the settings?

after playing the campaign co-op I'm trying to play it solo now and I'm just not feelin' it. It feels like the SP was heavily balanced for co-op. The campaign also feels kinda phoned in too.

Don't get me wrong I had fun with it, there's just not anything special about it to get me to go back to it. The MP runs like shit also. about half the matches I've played I encounter teleporting players. 343i should've put forth the same effort with the gameplay that they put into the visuals and had a MP beta to iron out the connectivity issues prior to launch.

The more I play the more it feels like Halo 3 and that game was the worst of the Halo's IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does anybody find it odd that...for a 'trilogy', it doesn't seem like there's much of an over arching plot.
What do you mean? Of course there's an overarching plot.. that is the story of the interplay between the Precursors, The Flood, The Forerunners, The Covenant and Humanity that has always been there since Halo 1. It pretty much revolves around the Flood which guide the interactions between all these various races, and the Chief is pretty much the agent of change and the one who carries the burden of making things "right" from a hundred thousand years plus of turmoil.

So my game has glitched out and the DMR wont appear on my load outs lists even with a padlock. I had it unlocked and was using it fine earlier, but now my load outs all defaulted and its just not there.

Anyone else come across this?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So my game has glitched out and the DMR wont appear on my load outs lists even with a padlock. I had it unlocked and was using it fine earlier, but now my load outs all defaulted and its just not there.

Anyone else come across this?
People in Community are complaining about this too. Seems like load out wipes are a common issue right now.

Nori Chan

So I finish all of Spartan Ops and I got no achievement for doing so, then I go back to the spartan ops menu and see I have all of them clear.

Then I restart my xbox and go to waypoint and it says I haven't beaten the last 3 missions for some reason. Then I go back to the menu and it also says that I haven't beaten them....so wtf. Is this a known glitch or bug? Or was I SOL?

Edit: I even got all of the challenges completed for the fucking spartan ops that involve killing crawlers...So how the fuck did I get that if I didn't beat the missions -___-

SledgeGBay

Neo Member
So has anyone managed to hit SR 50 and use a specialization yet? Is that whole system just a third set of perks basically?

The Pioneer one mentions getting a boost in the xp "only when it's active" implying that you can change it mid-match, so perhaps they just unlock new perks for the current tiers?

This just seems like a gameplay system that's still sort of unmentioned.

Woorloog

Banned
So has anyone managed to hit SR 50 and use a specialization yet? Is that whole system just a third set of perks basically?

The Pioneer one mentions getting a boost in the xp "only when it's active" implying that you can change it mid-match, so perhaps they just unlock new perks for the current tiers?

This just seems like a gameplay system that's still sort of unmentioned.

Specialization perks go to either perk slot, depending on the perk itself, no 3rd perk.
The XP perk gives you double XP as long as you're using a loadout with it, it does not boost match XP.

EDIT oh and this was explained when the Specs were revealed.

haikira

That commentator, fuck.

Yup....

"Now before i tell you nerds how to do this glitch..."

gu1rk2cuo0.gif

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
People in Community are complaining about this too. Seems like load out wipes are a common issue right now.

Yesterday my armor vanished before my eyes in the customization screen. Everything was automatically set to default and I had to redownload my DLC armor items.

This has probably been talked abut, but I was playing SP when a marine said these things:

"You know that pro-pipe was solid for sure, but that sticky det is no freaking joke"

"Are you a AR man or a BR man?"

:lol

----

Also, fuck 'Reclaimer'. Such bad encounter design. The marines rush to thier death, the enemy tanks destroy you and the only way to engage is to push forward, otherwise they hide behind rocks.. It does not feel like a battle when they will not engage past a certain area.. just feels like a poorly designed and frustrating encounter, especially on legendary. This campaign has a lot more lows than highs IMO.. I mean its fun, but it kinda has that Halo 2 vibe where everything is more guided.. Even so, I liked that games encounters more.. the AI was more engaging and rewarding.. Something feels off a lot of times in this game.

As of now overall I feel SP game play wise the franchise goes Halo 1 > Halo 3 > ODST > Reach > >Halo 2 >= Halo 4
That may change in time as I spend more time with it. I really did enjoy the first, third and fourth levels on legendary. The second feels too lifeless, it feels very forced, but it may be more fun in co-op. The open environments are really lacking in this game IMO.

Story was awesome, definitely the best one told yet, but it could have used a bit more.

I don't like the multiplayer in this game. With the ordnance drops, everyone can get long-range weapons like that, there's no fighting over power weapons anymore, you get shot from every fucking direction and usually can't figure out which before you're dead, and everyone votes for fucking Longbow. Maybe I should just not go in without a team, but it's not always easy getting one together when you just wanna play for a short while.

No, I don't like the multiplayer in this game. At least not the Big Team variant, which was always my favorite in past Halo games.

darthbob

This!

I finished the game yesterday (it was awesome) and have since tinkered around in Spartan Ops and War Games. And I realized that the music is perfectly mixed in SpOps, whereas during campaign gameplay I tended to have a really hard time simply hearing the music.
That's basically the only thing that really bothered me. I like the music a lot, too, so why won't 343 let me actually hear it?

More importantly: Why can I still not adjust the sound in the settings?

Cutscene sound FX and music is heavily downsampled, whereas the voices are crystal clear.

Seriously, I just skip the cutscenes now because they make my ears bleed, and that's a shame because some of these cutscenes are balling.

Just got done with the campaign on heroic.

Having recently played through all of them, this was definitely one of the weakest entries in the franchise, maybe worse than 2.
Fighting the prometheans wasn't nearly as interesting as fighting the covenants, and to be honest I fought the 3 same enemies so much in this game I hope they just dump them for the next games. Knights being such bullet sponges didn't help. In terms of level design this also seemed way more linear than past campaigns, and I got sick of the Tron Legacy structures halfway through. Didact looked straight out of a Warcraft game, and overall the story was pretty generic
Better luck next time, I guess.

I feel the same about Halo 4. I still think Halo 4 is better than Halo 2, but not by much.

Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 2.

Top Bottom