• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Naked Lunch

Sure Halo 4's multiplayer is better than Reach - but is that really even a compliment? I play Halo for objective modes and I hate to say it, but the objective modes in H4 are simply not that fun. Whats offered here both in the rules of the modes and the maps are disappointing. Where is 1 flag CTF? Where is assault? Where is Big Team CTF?

I played mainly on offense on CTF in the H2 and 3 days - and its just not fun in H4. Having the whole map see you the second you pick it up and having no means to defend yourself other than a pistol. I miss grabbing the flag - being tricky and sneaking, waiting in a hiding spot for evac - or dropping the flag and defending myself with guns, melees, and grenades. Now its grab flag, and have the enemy team on you like a magnet - communication not required. It's simply not fun to play offense in H4 CTF.

Its better than Reach - but its nowhere close to 2 and 3.

Woorloog

Banned
what tactics are people using to beat knights on legendary

cuz damn

Lightrifle or other such at range.
Boltshot or either shotgun at melee range, followed by a melee if the shotgun blast is not enough.
Power weapons.
Plasma Pistol overcharge+headshot.
Stickies.

Generally speaking i use either a precision weapon at range or a power weapon. Never ran out of ammo really...

Mitsurux

The spots they lock out in this game are awful. Even in multiplayer. Erosion has a HUGE flat area on top of the back building that would make for a great forge spot. Can you actually get back there? Nope.

Noticed that as well.... the cut off spot is actually marked on the roof (dark line)... i was thinking about just walling what is left of the area up there are builing a level....

paischtu

Neo Member
Just got to say this. Halo 4 MP is fun again! Probably gonna play this over the next months alot.

Also, in Reach I hated to normal playlists so much ( the one with shields etc due to the Abilities ). I always ended up playing Team SWAT.
In Halo 4 I think the abilities don't matter that much, it's more about skill. Overall the game is more like Halo 2/3 than Reach, even with abilities and perks.
Normal Playlists are fun again! Thank you 343i.

JNT

But on the off chance you feel like exploring for the hell of it...a timed kill barrier shows up!
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Remember the Reclaimer mission? Wanna backtrack a hundred feet from the position of the Mammoth like you can in every other Halo game? A wild kill barrier appears!

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Remember the Reclaimer mission? Wanna backtrack a hundred feet from the position of the Mammoth like you can in every other Halo game? A wild kill barrier appears!
I find the closing doors behind you the most frustrating wall.

Lightrifle or other such at range.
Boltshot or either shotgun at melee range, followed by a melee if the shotgun blast is not enough.
Power weapons.
Plasma Pistol overcharge+headshot.
Stickies.

Generally speaking i use either a precision weapon at range or a power weapon. Never ran out of ammo really...

been hitting dudes multiple times in the head with the light rifle and it doesn't seem to do squat

Raiden

Banned
To whoever's job it was to place kill barriers and invisible walls in H4's campaign: I passionately dislike you.

About that. Halo: CE always had that magic feeling you could go anywhere you wanted, i especially loved The Silent Cartographer, you could actually go underwater into the sea! Okay sure you had an invisible wall but at least you had a sense of exploration.

And one thing i'll just keep complaining about as well since every Halo game after Combat Evolved, GIVE US BACK OUR UNDESTRUCTABLE WARTHOGS!!! My best memories are those with me and my friends in a loaded warthog trying to get back to base with our flag and rockets and nades are blasting our warthog all over the place with 50 somersaults before we can even hope to land on our wheels.

Still cant believe they took that away, sure destructible vehicles are more tactical i guess, but i just want fun in Halo.

Funny how the complaints by some on here are what make me more excited to play MP. Sounds like the grenade issue was finally fixed! AA's don't look too bad or game breaking, maybe I will finally feel compelled to play modes other than SWAT!

Alas, the larger hard drive I bought was defective so I've still only played Campaign. Fortunately, a buddy at work had a FAT 32 USB that I'm going to try out while I wait for a new drive to be shipped.

About that. Halo: CE always had that magic feeling you could go anywhere you wanted, i especially loved The Silent Cartographer, you could actually go underwater into the sea! Okay sure you had an invisible wall but at least you had a sense of exploration.

And one thing i'll just keep complaining about as well since every Halo game after Combat Evolved, GIVE US BACK OUR UNDESTRUCTABLE WARTHOGS!!! My best memories are those with me and my friends in a loaded warthog trying to get back to base with our flag and rockets and nades are blasting our warthog all over the place with 50 somersaults before we can even hope to land on our wheels.

Still cant believe they took that away, sure destructible vehicles are more tactical i guess, but i just want fun in Halo.

I wouldn't mind this as an option. Like a skull that turns this on and off. But by default, no.

abadguy

Banned
Just got to say this. Halo 4 MP is fun again! Probably gonna play this over the next months alot.

Also, in Reach I hated to normal playlists so much ( the one with shields etc due to the Abilities ). I always ended up playing Team SWAT.
In Halo 4 I think the abilities don't matter that much, it's more about skill. Overall the game is more like Halo 2/3 than Reach, even with abilities and perks.
Normal Playlists are fun again! Thank you 343i.

Yeah H4 will own my Xbox for the remainder of the year. Even guys that i haven't played Halo with since 3( and one in particular who didn't like 3 at all compared to 2 mp) are on this game every day. Reach had excellent SP i n my opinion , MP was ruined by a combo of , Armor Lock, maps ripped from campaign , reduced jump height, fall damage, etc. It wasn't horrible buti had nowhere near the fun i had playing 3, H4 brought back that fun that was missing in Reach.

Riptwo

cuz damn
As absurd as it sounds, I've just been charging them with suppressors and occasionally finishing them off with melee. I had a way harder time fighting knights on Heroic when I was trying to use light rifles or anything else at a longer range.

been hitting dudes multiple times in the head with the light rifle and it doesn't seem to do squat

When the shield pops, you'll notice their mask open revealing the flaming skull and it roars, that's when you can blast it in the face to finish it off. The hit box is much smaller than we're used to but it's possible to take them down instantly with the noob combo or maybe three shots after the shield if you aren't hitting them precisely in the face. The hit box is a little tricky at times as you could swear you shoot them in the same place every time. Bottom line though, full plasma charge + a few shots to the face will kill them or the other methods mentioned. As the last poster mentioned, Needler should be added to the list.

Pop their shields by any means. Plasma blasts, storm rifle, rail gun, etc. Then it'll take multiple headshots. Their shields also regen very quickly so it can take a bit. I like to move in semi-close with automatic weapons and chew up their lower body and extremities too as their carapace is more armored.

Storm Rifle also chews up watchers for breakfast.

Woorloog

Banned
I think the grenades are pretty much perfect.

Too much grenade spam still. This one guy spammed grenades everywhere. Guess he had the explosive perk, his frags killed me from pretty far away.
Wasn't fun.

Otherwise the grenades are pretty nice, though the plasma's default blast radius is laughable, and as useful the Pulse Grenades are as they're, we should be able to start with 2 of them without a perk, and they need a slight buff as well. This guy walked through one unscathed.

Too much grenade spam still. This one guy spammed grenades everywhere. Guess he had the explosive perk, his frags killed me from pretty far away.
Wasn't fun.

Otherwise the grenades are pretty nice, though the plasma's default blast radius is laughable, and as useful the Pulse Grenades are as they're, we should be able to start with 2 of them without a perk, and they need a slight buff as well. This guy walked through one unscathed.
Worst grenade bit is that if you select Promethean grenades in your loadout you only get 1. Thats kindof useless.

Trey

cuz damn

Always kill the fodder. Which means keep a headshot capable weapon handy, always.

Use cover; be patient.

Prometheans: kill watcher and crawlers (it will be up to you to determine in which order, cuz it changes), then the knights. This is almost always the correct order.

When engaging a prom knight, if you break its shields, always finish him off.

And whatever you do, keep your eyes open for the telltale trail of a Binary Rifle.

Though on Legendary, if you see it, often it'll be too late.

Woorloog

Banned
Worst grenade bit is that if you select Promethean grenades in your loadout you only get 1. Thats kindof useless.

As i said, we should be able to start with 2 of them without a perk. They ain't that good. And they need a buff, they need to deal more damage or need a larger base radius.
Otherwise, they're great. They have many good uses. Such as killing a tank driver (if planted while boarding) without damaging the tank itself. Other 'nades can damage or destroy tanks if planted while boarding.

As i said, we should be able to start with 2 of them without a perk. They ain't that good. And they need a buff, they need to deal more damage or need a larger base radius.
Otherwise, they're great. They have many good uses. Such as killing a tank driver (if planted while boarding) without damaging the tank itself. Other 'nades can damage or destroy tanks if planted while boarding.
343 is probably (rightfully so) afraid of what could happen if a full team is using them in unison, both for gameplay and performance reasons. But it still means I'm not using them in my loadouts.

Manp

i'm not sure about grenades in MP and i don't really care, but in SP they're fucking useless.
they don't do that much damage and the effective radius is laughable. which make no sense in my opinion.

:)

Waaghals

I found the game to be very enjoyable, but I have some complaints.

There were literally no surprises - apart from story - in the game.
We had seen every enemy and every weapon before. No surprising enemy types for instance.
Sure, they kept some of the locations secret, but everything else was wide open several months from launch.

I have also concluded that the prometheans aren't that fun to fight,they're okay, but nothing more.

Lima

Just came here to echo the same thing. The CG is pretty good, but the quality of it all is absolutely atrocious. I honestly thought something was wrong with my disc when episode 2's cutscene played out.

Low quality, shitty black levels...why?
Both the low quality and shitty black levels are because the spartan ops videos are neither stored on the disc nor in the spartan ops file you had to install from disc 2. They are streamed once you click on them.

Manp

Both the low quality and shitty black levels are because the spartan ops videos are neither stored on the disc nor in the spartan ops file you had to install from disc 2. They are streamed once you click on them.

yup, and as the rentals on the marketplace the quality depend on the speed of your line. at "HD" quality they look pretty good i think.

:)

Riptwo

The black level issue seems to be related to an old MS video playback glitch that affected both the Xbox and Mediaroom devices. It's been brought up to the team though, so I hope it'll be fixed shortly.

stktt

Banned
It takes a special kind of person to crouch walk around our base for the entirety of a CTF match, leaving me as the only person that actually tries to score a point. Thanks, team.

stuminus3

There were literally no surprises - apart from story - in the game.
We had seen every enemy and every weapon before. No surprising enemy types for instance.
Sure, they kept some of the locations secret, but everything else was wide open several months from launch.
I think this is more of a problem with how we consume games pre-release these days than a problem with the game itself. I was completely in the dark on Halo 4 until release day and everything that didn't appear in a previous Halo game or in the E3 demo was a surprise to me.

Satchel

Banned
For those complaining about weak MP grenades, use the explosives perk.

Makes them Reach mini nukes again. Better that its a toggle now.

The grenades in SP are pissweak though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Stop picking ragnarokkkkkk.
LLShC.gif

eso76

I have a lot of issues about the combat that I want to talk about, but the one that's bugging me the most right now: clarity.
-

This.
Halo was readable. You could always understand what was going on and why, which allowed for a strategic approach.
Even the repeating environments somehow helped, made it easier for the player to appreciate cause /effect, AI, learn the rules of the game themselves and try different strategies.
There are so many variables in the AI, constantly changing environments would have made those too many and made things more confusing.
Like I always say, you don't complain for having to play a game of chess on the same board, it's part of the game and a crucial part of the strategy. And halo CE encounters sometimes played like games of chess.

Man, the older it gets, the clearer it becomes that halo CE was a game design masterpiece.

Top Bottom