• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I thought it was a good trade off until I played it. The real problem is the 3x scope on the rifles. In past Halos, you would not get pinged from ultra long range, and so you rarely were required to scope just to return fire. When Reach introduced the DMR, you would get pinged from across maps from over 2x the range we did in Halo 1-3. That meant unless you were scoped, you were unable to hit (and sometimes even see) who was shooting you. That meant players would get tagged, scope in to return fire, get tagged again, rescope, and so on. It was annoying and led to frustrating deaths (among other reasons).

343 addressed this not by returning our engagement range to what it had been, but by removing de-scoping as a mechanic. Only now, you can't aim straight when taking fire when scoped, so it's now a game of trying to wrestle a bobbing targeting reticule around in order to aim straight. Which to me, is a dramatically more frustrating experience.

I should note that things like bobbing targeting reticules are among my most hated mechanics in all of FPS, and one of the reasons I enjoyed Halo was because the game didn't go there. It never resorted to fucking with our ability to aim straight as way of balancing things. So it's a borderline deal breaker for me that Halo 4 dropped it in, and worse, dropped it in as a way to paper over the problems introduced with the DMR.

God, I've noticed this too, the bobbing thing. Is it only while you're zoomed in?

rakka

only when scoped yes. I too thought the new method would work better until I played it. now I'd prefer being knocked out of zoom instead of my aim being fucked with.

zap

I wish Halo 4 didn't have the DMR. Would make a lot of things a lot less frustrating.

The BR is so much more fun and satisfying to use, but it's outclassed by a decent DMR user so I have to stick with DMR most games. I mean, it works, but I would much prefer the BR.

2San

I wish Halo 4 didn't have the DMR. Would make a lot of things a lot less frustrating.

The BR is so much more fun and satisfying to use, but it's outclassed by a decent DMR user so I have to stick with DMR most games. I mean, it works, but I would much prefer the BR.
Dunno I always preferred the DMR over the BR. I can live with either weapon though. I'm really not seeing what makes the BR more fun or satisfying.

Izayoi

Banned
The DMR is amazing and needs to stay exactly as is. Makes the larger maps actually playable. Long range isn't a shit fest like it was in Halo 2 and 3. I love it.

Petrichor

The DMR is amazing and needs to stay exactly as is. Makes the larger maps actually playable. Long range isn't a shit fest like it was in Halo 2 and 3. I love it.

Either the DMR needs to be nerfed or the carbine, light rifle and BR need to receive a boost.

This game desperately needed play testing or a beta or something. So many bugs and game design flaws that just make it not enjoyable. Getting meleed through the hard light shield somehow. Trying to switch grenade types and accidentally calling down ordnance. This shouldn't happen.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
think there's some hardcore whiners in here.

I've played a good amount (~1000 kills, level 30) and didn't notice any of these devastating game breaking flaws.

After someone told me the killcams are horrible (I compulsively smash the respawn, can't help it) I watched em and they are pretty funny.

it's like the game doesn't deal with lag well or something, in regards to kill cams I dunno.

Anyone know how to get this emblem?

NkHAw.jpg

Seeing as how my H2 era phoenix is not in the game anymore, this would be a very suitable replacement.

NBtoaster

think there's some hardcore whiners in here.

I've played a good amount (~1000 kills, level 30) and didn't notice any of these devastating game breaking flaws.

After someone told me the killcams are horrible (I compulsively smash the respawn, can't help it) I watched em and they are pretty funny.

it's like the game doesn't deal with lag well or something, in regards to kill cams I dunno.

Yeah it's pretty great. The game is very polished, and a blast online. It's not Reach, it's not CE, 2 or 3, but it's still Halo and great in it's own ways.

Hardcore Halo fans are kind of baffling.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's pretty great. The game is very polished, and a blast online. It's not Reach, it's not CE, 2 or 3, but it's still Halo and great in it's own ways.

I prefer it to reach.

it's also in its infancy online every halo had it's 'OMG SUX' moments. noob combo in halo 2, whining about maps in halo 3 compared to 2, when reach came out everyone was all referring to halo 3 being the pinnacle and so forth.

same shit all over again. People also never notice they get older and their tastes change.

S1kkZ

I prefer it to reach.

it's also in its infancy online every halo had it's 'OMG SUX' moments. noob combo in halo 2, whining about maps in halo 3 compared to 2, when reach came out everyone was all referring to halo 3 being the pinnacle and so forth.

same shit all over again. People also never notice they get older and their tastes change.

this.

i love the h4 mp so far. i hope 343 doesnt listen to the whiners that demand the dmr to be nerfed.

JB1981

this.

i love the h4 mp so far. i hope 343 doesnt listen to the whiners that demand the dmr to be nerfed.

I think it is definitely the best all around weapon. It's power at long range does change the dynamic in BTB games, though. Engagements are always from very long range and the game becomes a DMR fest. Valhalla was so much better in Halo 3 compared to Ragnarok in Halo 4. The DMR definitely does change things dramatically and not for the better IMO. I actually haven't had much fun with BTB at all. Too many ranged weapons and vehicles. I feel like I'm always getting pelted by ranged fire no matter where I am. It makes traversing the map very hard

Slayer is where it's at. I like Dominion as well. Hey I have a question - do Camo users show up on the radar ? I feel like I need to use PV exclusively so I can counter these fuckers, and I hate using PV because I feel like I'm cheating

rakka

no, it's not the same shit. this time round the gameplay that halo has always been built upon has changed drastically. yeah, perhaps good for those that were never into or never really good at halo, but for many of us it's a huge letdown, the direction they're taking. not to mention all the little things that were altered for no apparent reason at all, they add up too.

hell, even ghaleon's disappointed.

S1kkZ

no, it's not the same shit. this time round the gameplay that halo has always been built upon has changed drastically. yeah, perhaps good for those that were never into or never really good at halo, but for many of us it's a huge letdown, the direction they're taking. not to mention all the little things that were altered for no apparent reason at all, they add up too.

changed drastically? really? played every halo game online and the changes in 4 dont make me better at the game, at all.

Pooya

I hope they'll make an alternate CTF because I really hate what we have here. 'KILL" really kills it. In a sense it encourages team work I guess as it's nearly impossible to go get the flag and make it back to base by your own using stealth and hiding but when playing with randoms obviously that doesn't work.

Man, I don't understand a whole lot of the complaints. I understand the game has some flaws and some serious drawbacks, but this is probably the most fun I have had with MP since Halo 2.

Definitely don't think the DMR needs nerfed. The only issue the gun has is on Ragnorok and the other BTB map with the big ship or whatever it is in the middle. Both these maps have a shit ton of rocks and starting with DMR's just encourages no map movement and peek shotting being the name of the game.

Other than that I think the primary weapons are well balanced. Even with being annoyed by the amount of times I've died from an AR, or my DMR been bumped from my target by getting shot with the BR. I think it all works well it just depends on the player.

Finally finished the campaign. Thought it was great, but I thought it felt less epic. Maybe it has a little to do with music for not setting the mood, but I just never really got the feeling I was doing much more than killing enemies and running to the next spot to kill more enemies. Yeah, it's always been the way of the game, but it rarely seemed like it was very serious or integrated with the story well. The final cutscene and the one after the credits were amazing.

I loved the
firefox style level, for a second I thought we were going to get a firefox type boss battle, but it was just more shooting of targets. :/

Sec0nd

It's really fucked me over a few times where I see the indicator and I move to try and avoid it only to find that it was nowhere near me and it forced me out of cover to get shot and/or killed.

I can't even count the times I actually ran into a grenade thinking I was running away from it. The grenade indicator is really confusing.

Pooya

I loved the
firefox style level, for a second I thought we were going to get a firefox type boss battle, but it was just more shooting of targets. :/

They should have gone with
Internet Explorer instead ;p .Reach's was way better, I thought that was pretty underwhelming, It could use some dog fights

NBtoaster

The core Halo gameplay - the vehicles, the weapons, the shields, the modes - is there. Balance has been adjusted and new things have been added, as they should. The modern/COD elements don't massively subtract from the game, they integrate very well with it.

Petrie

Banned
I hope they'll make an alternate CTF because I really hate what we have here. 'KILL" really kills it. In a sense it encourages team work I guess as it's nearly impossible to go get the flag and make it back to base by your own using stealth and hiding but when playing with randoms obviously that doesn't work.

That's the entire point of a team based objective game though. You want a mode where teamwork isn't the name of the game? The hell?

Ghaleon has a specific play style that really doesn't lend to a great opinion of the majority. Ghaleon is a leader but ultimately only 1 vote.

The game is superb. Small things here and there but teamwork is still there and IF things didn't change we wouldn't celebrate innovation and celebration through diversity. Out of my whole group of 40+ Halo friends only one guy doesn't like it, and he is the one who is the most unwilling to change. Didn't like MW2, Black Ops, Assassins creed 3, etc. so look at yourself and look at the game for what it is.

They should have gone with
Internet Explorer instead ;p .Reach's was way better, I thought that was pretty underwhelming, It could use some dog fights

I agree with the dog fights, but I definitely liked the dodging in and out of closing doors and turrets. Wish we could have got some kind of dog fight, it would have maybe introduced a new vehicle or two since they got rid of a couple.

Pooya

That's the entire point of a team based objective game though. You want a mode where teamwork isn't the name of the game? The hell?

Of course not, but the reality doesn't work like that, old CTF could work still with random players, right now not at all, both can co exist. don't you think? Even then some people prefer stealthy approach to CTF; nothing to do with teamwork or not, right now it's pretty 'cheap'.

S1kkZ

The core Halo gameplay - the vehicles, the weapons, the shields, the modes - is there. Balance has been adjusted and new things have been added, as they should. The modern/COD elements don't massively subtract from the game, they integrate very well with it.

agreed so much.

Could they not just tack on some actual recoil to the DMR, or is that too "not Halo"? Long range battles would still dominate, but they'd require some decent skill and sense and deter those who suck buns at using the gun.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Could they not just tack on some actual recoil to the DMR, or is that too "not Halo"? Long range battles would still dominate, but they'd require some decent skill and sense and deter those who suck buns at using it.

You're more or less talking about bloom. See Reach, it did not work. Both options require pacing of shots.

Why did the
UNSC fire/relieve Del Rio of command of the Infinity? Not much explanation was given, and MC defied a direct order from a Captain of the Navy. Sounds more like a court Marshall to me than a cowboy/fraternity law of 'hey it's okay you were right anyways'. They persecuted Halsey, but back up the Chief who has been missing for 4 years?

rakka

changed drastically? really? played every halo game online and the changes in 4 dont make me better at the game, at all.

your reach service record shows you've barely played 100 games of matchmaking. that's next to nothing. you're clearly in the "not really into halo" group I mentioned before, of course the changes don't mean much to you.

Why did the
UNSC fire/relieve Del Rio of command of the Infinity? Not much explanation was given, and MC defied a direct order from a Captain of the Navy. Sounds more like a court Marshall to me than a cowboy/fraternity law. They persecuted Halsey, but back up the Chief who has been missing for 4 years?
Because he endanged the entire UNSC and ran like a little girl, clearly unfit for duty? Because he abandoned a PR bonanza and two key resources who've had up front and direct contact/intel on the Didact/Forerunner tech.

S1kkZ

Could they not just tack on some actual recoil to the DMR, or is that too "not Halo"? Long range battles would still dominate, but they'd require some decent skill and sense and deter those who suck buns at using the gun.

that would make the weapon useless. in close combat, every other automatic weapon and the br dominate a dmr user. the dmr still requires some skill, its not an uber weapon (like the saw is in close combat, for example).

S1kkZ

Because he endanged the entire UNSC and ran like a little girl, clearly unfit for duty? Because he abandoned a PR bonanza and two key resources who've had up front and direct contact/intel on the Didact/Forerunner tech.

and lets not forget: he ignored the didact as a thread, which cost all the people of new arizona (or was it phoenix?) their lives.

He was correct in his assessment though too about not having the tactical advantage. He reports to Hood, and Hood being the Boy Scout he is would know that the Infinity was outmatched and they were at risk. Sure he ran but I don't think stripping him of command seems like something a Navy would do to a captain with a resume a mile long. Parangosky was looking for him to slip up and that's really the only thing I can think of that would support him being relieved of command but she does not have control over him, only Lasky.

S1kkZ

Got data to back up that claim?

yeah, 20 hours of multiplayer time. everytime i encounter a player with ar, br, shotgun (or the covenant/forerunner pendant weapons) in close combat, i dont stand a chance (unless the other player somehow fucks up or a teammate comes to the rescue). the dmr is powerful, if you land headshot after headshot.

rCIZZLE

Already getting pretty bored. Swat has killed the pro playlist and there are way too few maps spread between btb and slayer. Adrift and haven are the only slayer maps I find enjoyable while complex is one of the worst maps Ive ever seen. Is it that expensive to add a few more maps for release? Even a few remakes I wouldnt mind.

yeah, 20 hours of multiplayer time. everytime i encounter a player with ar, br, shotgun (or the covenant/forerunner pendant weapons) in close combat, i dont stand a chance (unless the other player somehow fucks up or a teammate comes to the rescue). the dmr is powerful, if you land headshot after headshot.

If you get the first shot you should easily win all those battles except shotgun and other similar power weps.

If the maps were smaller, dmr would be fine. Most maps are big enough to justify dmr use only (all big team maps, half the regular maps). Light rifle is nearly as good but the crosshair is harder to see and the hit detection is less obvious to me.

Already getting pretty bored. Swat has killed the pro playlist and there are way too few maps spread between btb and slayer. Adrift and haven are the only slayer maps I find enjoyable while complex is one of the worst maps Ive ever seen. Is it that expensive to add a few more maps for release? Even a few remakes I wouldnt mind.

Reach and now Halo 4 have this problem. I don't understand how years of development, hundreds of devs, and millions upon millions of dollars results in 5 regular sized maps and 5 big team maps (which has never been and will never be core halo because of lack of balance). I love the game, but this is a big issue.

making the weapon useful, does not mean its noob friendly.

Doesn't mean it's not either.

rakka

AR is more noob friendly now. fuck that shit.

Shotgun has always been powerful up close. since its not a starting weapon I have no issue with that.

regarding BR, 1v1 close quarters, a DMR stands equal chance against it provided you don't miss.

That tacked on to the aim being thrown off when hit with a BR(long range) would make the weapon almost useless. Not saying it would kill the weapon, but it would change to complaints of it being underpowered rather than overpowered.

I'd say just change the zoom on it. Would make it a little harder to hit perfect shots as often. It would still have an advantage, just not as big of an advantage on larger maps.

kingocfs

Already getting pretty bored. Swat has killed the pro playlist and there are way too few maps spread between btb and slayer. Adrift and haven are the only slayer maps I find enjoyable while complex is one of the worst maps Ive ever seen. Is it that expensive to add a few more maps for release?

It's not a matter of costing them more money, but making more money off of you.

Top Bottom