• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Spops is boring, but at least the fights are decently sized. Cutscenes were a nice surprise... Very well done. Firefight is sorely missed.
I've played three of this week's chapters and I think they're more enjoyable than any from the first episode. I realized/remembered what made Firefight so much better, though — the scoring system. Spartan Ops would really benefit from such a thing. It'd at least promote replayability. As it is now, the only reason that I would play any of the chapters multiple times would be for challenges.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hey man, how are those headphones handling Halo 4? :]

its pretty great to rock em at a loud volume at 11pm while the wife and baby are sound asleep - though the first night i used the mic in conjunction with them apparently i was talking super loud (because of said headphone volume) and i woke my wife up :)

i love them.

Red

I've played three of this week's chapters and I think they're more enjoyable than any from the first episode. I realized/remembered what made Firefight so much better, though — the scoring system. Spartan Ops would really benefit from such a thing. It'd at least promote replayability. As it is now, the only reason that I would play any of the chapters multiple times would be for challenges.
I've only played the first three of ep. 1. I did not like the first two but three was surprisingly fun. Do they all recycle environments? I'm glad to hear ep. 2 improves things.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming Halo: Infinity episodes.

Firefight was more dynamic. There were way more variables. Scoring was just one thing that made it great. It is my favorite thing about Halo since CE... I loved it, hopefully it will return for Halo 5.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
It's weird, a lot of people are complaining about this game but for me it's my favorite online Halo since Halo 2. All I need is more maps!

So aside from terminals are there any known reasons to explore the SP maps?
All these kill barriers are a bummer (same with Reach) after the Halo 1-3 exploration fun times.

Red

So aside from terminals are there any known reasons to explore the SP maps?
All these kill barriers are a bummer (same with Reach) after the Halo 1-3 exploration fun times.
I agree. Too many invisible walls/kill barriers, was pretty disappointed. I only managed to get out of a single map (the level with the mammoth), and was killed by a countdown before too long.

I think 343 did an admirable job considering what they were following. Better in some ways, different in others, an exceptional overall effort that makes me excited for what they do next. They have a lot of talent.

Is it just me or does the Flood gametype seem broken?
1. The infected aren't killed with a single shot to the head, thus ruining the whole point of having pistols as the secondary weapon. The humans get one shot weapons but with the tradeoff of limited ammo.
2. The map Complex is way too large for Flood.
3. Team killing is allowed! I was the flood and in an attempt to gut a human I accidentally sliced a fellow flood. Before I could even blink I was kicked from the game. Reach had this problem but Bungie/343i fixed it not too long after.

Scarecrow

What are the odds they'll do a Halo 2 anniversary edition ala Halo CE? They'll have every non-Dew powered Halo game on one system.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
How many maps are in this game? It seems like there is only 4 on big team and 4 on infinity slayer.
Ten — five "big" (Ragnarok, Exile, Vortex, Meltdown, Longbow) and five "small" (Abandon, Solace, Adrift, Complex, Haven).

What are the odds they'll do a Halo 2 anniversary edition ala Halo CE? They'll have every non-Dew powered Halo game on one system.

In all honesty, I expect very likely. And I expect that it will be an Xbox 720 launch title next year. Sabre, who made Halo:CE Anniversary, would have had two years to make a Halo 2 Anniversary by fall 2014. If Activision can make a new CoD game every two years then I don't find it unreasonable for Sabre to adapt an 8 year old game with fresh visuals in a similar time frame.

are there any plans to put more emblems and armor in the game? kinda sucks not being able to use the emblem I've been using for the last three (four if you count ODST) games.

also mark v

FyreWulff

Mountain_Dew_emblem.png

kylej

Banned
why the fuck can't you keep moving when you press the back button to check the scoreboard. WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS DOESN'T ANYONE AT 343 PLAY HALO

JimboJones

Really feels like they have taken the novelty out of the medals, I rarely even notice getting them anymore and you get so many for basic things.

Wow a genric kill! Go me! Though I do like they have added more awards for assist stuff for things like helping flag carriers or defending the flag and distraction is always a good one to get.

CyReN

why the fuck can't you keep moving when you press the back button to check the scoreboard. WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS DOESN'T ANYONE AT 343 PLAY HALO

Minor glitch tip: Sprint + Jump then press back. I know it's highly annoying but its the only way atm.

strata8

1. The infected aren't killed with a single shot to the head, thus ruining the whole point of having pistols as the secondary weapon. The humans get one shot weapons but with the tradeoff of limited ammo.

The most frustrating part of Reach as infected was being killed in a single shot before you had the chance to infect someone. I was really glad to see they changed it, and it's not like the pistol is useless now.

vatstep

This is purely anecdotal, and kind of pointless, but I took note this at this time last night that there were around 245K people online in the top three playlists (Infinity Slayer/BTB and SWAT). At the same time tonight, there's around 180K in those three. Not as catastrophic a drop-off as I was expecting (due to Black Ops 2).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Really feels like they have taken the novelty out of the medals, I rarely even notice getting them anymore and you get so many for basic things.

Wow a genric kill! Go me! Though I do like they have added more awards for assist stuff for things like helping flag carriers or defending the flag and distraction is always a good one to get.

assist-flyin-high.png

Apath

So far I don't like any of the big maps besides Ragnarok.

And flying the (level (6?) spoiler)
pelican was incredibly underwhelming. And since when could they just take on legions of Covenant transports like they're nothing?
The most frustrating part of Reach as infected was being killed in a single shot before you had the chance to infect someone. I was really glad to see they changed it, and it's not like the pistol is useless now.
I agree. You can still get kills, it's just difficult. Plus it's great for racking up assists, which could mean the difference between first and second place.

LowParry

I've always gone the way of creating a Triforce emblem. Though lately it's been all about the Oni one.

There comes a time where you realize that everyone in your game is using one weapon the entire time with a few grenades used here and there. Perhaps the DRM needs a little nerf in the end.

GloveSlap

This is purely anecdotal, and kind of pointless, but I took note this at this time last night that there were around 245K people online in the top three playlists (Infinity Slayer/BTB and SWAT). At the same time tonight, there's around 180K in those three. Not as catastrophic a drop-off as I was expecting (due to Black Ops 2).

Surprisingly few people on my friends list are playing Black Ops. Maybe its just the people I have on my list now but I feel like I still have a bunch of people that used to play COD all of the time. Everyone is still playing Halo 4.

Apath

I've always gone the way of creating a Triforce emblem. Though lately it's been all about the Oni one.

There comes a time where you realize that everyone in your game is using one weapon the entire time with a few grenades used here and there. Perhaps the DRM needs a little nerf in the end.
I feel the DMR is balanced -- it's just incredibly easy to use and be good with. The Battle Rifle, on the other hand, is much more difficult to use (for me).

And to elaborate on why I feel it's balanced: the Assault Rifle can easily trump someone with the DMR at close range. If you don't get first shot and make all of your hits, you have a split second of too little time to make the last shot. At longer ranges the snipers rifles are easily superior, simply because you can't unscope them by shooting at them.

some thoughts on the weapons:

DMR- most useful gun, most powerful, most reliable
BR- pretty good, not useful enough. the recoil makes it less reliable at medium range, can only really compete with the DMR at close range
Carbine- straight up needs a buff. I can count the times I've used it and the times it's been used against me on one hand
Light Rifle- I don't really know what's up with this gun. I don't know if it's the reticule, the amount of feedback, the recoil, or whatever but this gun just seems inconsistent

Apath

some thoughts on the weapons:

DMR- most useful gun, most powerful, most reliable
BR- pretty good, not useful enough. the recoil makes it less reliable at medium range, can only really compete with the DMR at close range
Carbine- straight up needs a buff. I can count the times I've used it and the times it's been used against me on one hand
Light Rifle- I don't really know what's up with this gun. I don't know if it's the reticule, the amount of feedback, the recoil, or whatever but this gun just seems inconsistent
I've just chalked these up to being not competent enough with the gun. I've run into plenty of people who've bested me with those weapons. I just personally can't do it.

Hey You

So I'm sitting here after finishing Sniper Alley Mission on a black screen. I can still fire my weapons and such. The chapter complete message showed up already. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Scarecrow

Surprisingly few people on my friends list are playing Black Ops. Maybe its just the people I have on my list now but I feel like I still have a bunch of people that used to play COD all of the time. Everyone is still playing Halo 4.

When I was playing earlier today, my FL was around equally mixed. 3-4 Halo and 3-4 Blops. Glad there's something for everyone this year!

I've just chalked these up to being not competent enough with the gun. I've run into plenty of people who've bested me with those weapons. I just personally can't do it.
don't get me wrong, I'm pretty good with those guns. They just aren't as good as the DMR.

The visor on the EVA helmet looks like a Dolphins head.

I was told Spartan Ops would be similar to Game of Thrones and Lost.
I was lied to. You can't achieve good plot/character development in 3 minute clips once a week.

I'm still hoping for a Halo TV show.

I'm also hoping for more variation in the gameplay chapters.

Yeah, the CG was short and chessey.. the missions were completely unrelated, and every time it seemed we would get story they just faded to black. =/

Not for me. I'm so disappointed in this game. :-(

=(

Im enjoying it thoroughly, but I definitely empathize.. I still think you're crazy for hopping back on Reach though, haha.

Interesting.
Any chance for something like 1-Flag down the road?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
2. The map Complex is way too large for Flood.
3. Team killing is allowed! I was the flood and in an attempt to gut a human I accidentally sliced a fellow flood. Before I could even blink I was kicked from the game. Reach had this problem but Bungie/343i fixed it not too long after.
lol

This guy is concerned about Flood balance.

It is fun. Or would be, if i got to play something else than Ragnarok and the DMR didn't dominate everythign and the vehicles weren't paper-thin.

Can't really get to drive vehicles on any other list, so i'm quite limited to BTB.
Halo 3 had a nice amount of maps that are small (8-12 people maps) with vehicles as well... No non-BTB map has vehicles in Reach or in Halo 4 (not counting Complex but that map is a mess).

Speaking of which, why aren't there any 6 on 6 playlists anymore?
Hell, there isn't even a 5 on 5 team slayer. Only Objective playlists have that & everything else is limited to a max of 4 vs 4 or less.

If anyone wants to play anything that isn't a small ass pre-2000 multiplayer game, then BTB is the only choice.

Speaking of which, why aren't there any 6 on 6 playlists anymore?
Hell, there isn't even a 5 on 5 team slayer. Only Objective playlists have that & everything else is limited to a max of 4 vs 4 or less.

If anyone wants to play anything that isn't a small ass pre-2000 multiplayer game, then BTB is the only choice.
isn't dominion 6v6?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
=(

Im enjoying it thoroughly, but I definitely empathize.. I still think you're crazy for hopping back on Reach though, haha.
I have no good options. Halo 4 plays like a party game. Reach has bloom, shitty movement, armor lock, jetpack, etc. And Halo 3 has terrible netcode.

Rather than putting up with any of that, I'm choosing Option D -- turn off my Xbox and read a book.

kewlmyc

So I just bought a Xbox 360 today (I know, late to the party), and was thinking about picking this up. Do I have to play the first 5 Halo's (1-3, ODST, Reach) in order to understand the story, or can I just pick up the game now and enjoy the campaign? If I have to play the others, I don't mind; I'll just rent them from Gamefly.

So I just bought a Xbox 360 today (I know, late to the party), and was thinking about picking this up. Do I have to play the first 5 Halo's (1-3, ODST, Reach) in order to understand the story, or can I just pick up the game now and enjoy the campaign? If I have to play the others, I don't mind; I'll just rent them from Gamefly.

The story makes absolutely no sense unless you've read like five expanded universe novels. I've played all the Halo games and I had no idea what was happening in the game. It's a terrible way to treat your audience.

I guess you really don't need to but it would be a good idea to at least play through 1-3. Reach and ODST are just side stories.

Top Bottom