• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

He was correct in his assessment though too about not having the tactical advantage. He reports to Hood, and Hood being the Boy Scout he is would know that the Infinity was outmatched and they were at risk. Sure he ran but I don't think stripping him of command seems like something a Navy would do to a captain with a resume a mile long. Parangosky was looking for him to slip up and that's really the only thing I can think of that would support him being relieved of command but she does not have control over him, only Lasky.
She practically has control over whatever she wants.
The Chief is also Hood's favourite son, so all she would have to convince is him.
I get a "leave no man behind" taste off of a lot UNSC's decision making too.

It could just be a temporary suspension while an investigation is carried out. The trench run wasn't the time for a full breakdown.

yeah, 20 hours of multiplayer time. everytime i encounter a player with ar, br, shotgun (or the covenant/forerunner pendant weapons) in close combat, i dont stand a chance (unless the other player somehow fucks up or a teammate comes to the rescue). the dmr is powerful, if you land headshot after headshot.
And my playtime would say differently. That the DMR does outclassthe AR and BR (but not the SAW).
343 seem to be real big fans of the DMR, and that extends to Campaign too.

AR is more noob friendly now. fuck that shit.

Shotgun has always been powerful up close. since its not a starting weapon I have no issue with that.

regarding BR, 1v1 close quarters, a DMR stands equal chance against it provided you don't miss.

Would agree with the last part. BR/DMR are on pretty even ground close range as long as you don't miss. BR just has the advantage of the wide reticule and bullet spread, it's easier to aim and not miss.

I wouldn't say the AR is noob friendly, I'd just say it's actual useful for once. It's annoying from time to time, but it's still perfect in my eyes. Can't bring myself to use it though. :lol I don't think I have gotten a single kill with it besides the first couple ranks when you have no choice.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally got back to the campaign and beat it last night. Game was amazing through and through. Would have liked more of an epic confrontation at the end, but it really did not need it either. Overall, the story is more interesting than ever for me and I cannot wait to see where 343 takes it.

Can we get the three forge maps in matchmaking please? or get a solid release date for the first map pack.

First map pack is next month, so at least there's that. Still a bummer though since I know 1 or 2 of them will be big team maps. All those vehicles make everything so unbalanced.

Come on really? So what do you want the AR to be a pea shooter? Close range both the BR and DMR win anyway.

No, they don't.

rakka

I wouldn't say the AR is noob friendly, I'd just say it's actual useful for once. It's annoying from time to time, but it's still perfect in my eyes. Can't bring myself to use it though. :lol I don't think I have gotten a single kill with it besides the first couple ranks when you have no choice.

yeah, as overpowered I think it is, I refuse to use the damn thing. I enjoy the satisfaction of coming out on top of a firefight with perfectly placed headshots, not by spraying and praying. it just feels cheap.

and while yes, I may be slightly exaggerating when I say it's grossly overpowred, it is fact that it's a lot more powerful than it used to be, which in turn allows those who can't aim still get their AR kills easier instead of forcing them to improve.

LowParry

I use DMR as my primary and AR as my secondary. None of my experience, especially in big-team slayer, has given me a reason to go with anything else.

I think that could run better for the smaller game types but BTB you gotta have a plasma pistol for vehicles. I feel naked without it.

people, zombies is much more balanced then it was in reach, the pistol is vital but only gives 24 shots, zombies have about 75% shields so only take 4 hits from range, their boost pack gives them speed but it's hard to lunge when doing so and boosting directly into someone with a shotgun is asking for death.

It's suppose to be hard to survive, if the spartans were always winning then zombie players would quit a lot more often and you would end up with areas of the map which are harder to get into while spartans camp.

I love the new flood mode :D feels great from both sides and come on, boosting zombies is cool.

rakka

Come on really? So what do you want the AR to be a pea shooter? Close range both the BR and DMR win anyway.

Yeah, perhaps. then the second guy comes along with his AR ablazing and you're still fucked even if you had only taken slight damage from the previous firefight.

yeah, as overpowered I think it is, I refuse to use the damn thing. I enjoy the satisfaction of coming out on top of a firefight with perfectly placed headshots, not by spraying and praying. it just feels cheap.

and while yes, I may be slightly exaggerating when I say it's grossly overpowred, it is fact that it's a lot more powerful than it used to be, which in turn allows those who can't aim still get their AR kills easier instead of forcing them to improve.

They'll still be negative at the end of the game. One or two kills from me being caught off gaurd by them is OK with me. They're the ones that have to try to run across these maps without being a target from medium to long range.

Yeah, perhaps. then the second guy comes along with his AR ablazing and you're still fucked even if you had only taken slight damage from the previous firefight.

Even playing Regicide quite a bit(where I have seen AR's the most) I have seriously not seen this happen that often. Especially not often enough to be mad or concerned about it.

LowParry

Wow, I can't believe I somehow never thought to try this... Tonight!

It's so helpful against the ground types. Ghosts for example you plasma shot, plasma grenade and start shooting a few rounds with your DRM. People just sit and pray they can start firing back when the plasma shot wears off. And if you're lucky, warthog kills are even better. :D

I really don't understand how you can have a problem with the AR. The BR/DMR destroy it at medium to long range and if it was any weaker absolutely no one would use it (and it already seems like most people don't). The only other option I see is removing it entirely which just seems silly.

It's so helpful against the ground types. Ghosts for example you plasma shot, plasma grenade and start shooting a few rounds with your DRM. People just sit and pray they can start firing back when the plasma shot wears off. And if you're lucky, warthog kills are even better. :D
That sounds great. There are few things more satisfying in Halo than nailing a vehicle with a plasma grenade and watching it explode in a flaming ball of point-giving glory.

rakka

They'll still be negative at the end of the game. One or two kills from me being caught off gaurd by them is OK with me. They're the ones that have to try to run across these maps without being a target from medium to long range.

sounds like you play BTB? Admittedly the automatics would be less of a threat there (and all the power weapons too), I'm more referring to smaller maps where close encounters are far more frequent.

and those one or two kills are the ones that fuck up the frenzy or riot you're going for lol. although I guess that no longer matters now that some genius removed the top medals list at end of game!

Oni Jazar

I don't think I've ever been so upset at a game's story as I was after the first encounter with the
librarian

I don't really keep up with Halo lore but wow I'm amazed at how it can be both convoluted as hell and yet still dumbing it down with the concept of destiny. I'm almost insulted at this game for spewing such garbage.

2San

Dunno with the crazy aim assist in the game don't really think I'd be more afraid of someone with an AR then someone with a DMR/BR.

Look at it differently it makes the AR a viable weapon for good players. Normally I wouldn't even touch the weapon, but now I see myself at least considering picking it up and I find it better then the secondary weapons(depending on the situation). It's a primary weapon that's worthless mid to long range. The least it could be is being decent weapon close range, which it is atm.
Provided you aren't weak. :p Even then if you get the first shot and don't miss the br/dmr should win.
That's the thing the DMR is pretty much viable from close to far range. The AR is only good from close range. It has it's small range where it does well and even then it loses out to the proper rifles in the hands of someone who can aim.
Excuse me for not wanting to play the same three maps over and over while three maps rot on the disc unused.
Dunno I still get nightmares when I have to play another forge map. I played Reach in anticipation for H4, I got 3 forge maps in a row and never looked back. :|

SWAT spawning is so flat out broken, not saying you should camp but half of my deaths are because I walk past an area, they respawn, get me from behind.

Not much skill when spawning can break a match.

LowParry

SWAT spawning is so flat out broken, not saying you should camp but half of my deaths are because I walk past an area, they respawn, get me from behind.

Not much skill when spawning can break a match.

I think that's the case with all the small game types unfortunately. Though SWAT does have its moments of awesome.

sounds like you play BTB? Admittedly the automatics would be less of a threat there (and all the power weapons too), I'm more referring to smaller maps where close encounters are far more frequent.

and those one or two kills are the ones that fuck up the frenzy or riot you're going for lol. although I guess that no longer matters now that some genius removed the top medals list at end of game!

From time to time. Most of my time is in objective gametypes and Regicide though. I only play BTB or Slayer with friends. The only gametype I really see AR often is in Regicide and even then it's not that often. I really just can't see a major issue from the weapon. If you get 9 kills and you die from getting caught off guard from an AR what difference is it than if it happened with any other weapon? Just because you see it as cheap doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened with any other weapon.

Weapon is perfect to me and that's without actually using it and being annoyed when facing it quite often. :lol

That's the thing the DMR is pretty much viable from close to far range. The AR is only good from close range. It has it's small range where it does well and even then it loses out to the proper rifles in the hands of someone who can aim.

Yup, that's the same reason I would defend the boltshot(barring the glitch is fixed). If the weapon is only good in one situation and even then is still beatable the shit doesn't need fixed.

Dunno I still get nightmares when I have to play another forge map. I played Reach in anticipation for H4, I got 3 forge maps in a row and never looked back. :|

Don't blame forge for the shitty maps Reach had.

Edit:Shit! DP, sorry.

REV 09

this. keep that shit out of matchmaking. the forge maps where one of the reasons why i stopped playing reach in multiplayer. so damn ugly and bland.
they aren't bad from time to time. it's up to the playlists to limit how often they show up...but some forge maps should definitely be in multi. Reach's problem was that they completely took over the multi. Halo 4's problem is that Haven has taken over the multi...Haven is a stellar map, but playing it 5 times in a row is a bit much.

Biggzy

they aren't bad from time to time. it's up to the playlists to limit how often they show up...but some forge maps should definitely be in multi. Reach's problem was that they completely took over the multi. Halo 4's problem is that Haven has taken over the multi...Haven is a stellar map, but playing it 5 times in a row is a bit much.

Any map, no matter how good, gets stale if you play it 5 times in a row.

rakka

Dunno with the crazy aim assist in the game don't really think I'd be more afraid of someone with an AR then someone with a DMR/BR.

Hmm, different experience here. i have almost 5x as many kills with DMR than deaths by DMR.

I'm more worried when I'm facing a player with AR then DMR/BR when my shields are low. lol

Look at it differently it makes the AR a viable weapon for good players. Normally I wouldn't even touch the weapon, but now I see myself at least considering picking it up and I find it better then the secondary weapons(depending on the situation). It's a primary weapon that's worthless mid to long range. The least it could be is being decent weapon close range, which it is atm.
I will always see the AR as a secondary. that's the way its always been in halo mp. the good players excel with semi precision weapons eg CE magnum, BR, dmr, and the newer players fuck around with AR for a while til they learn to aim with other weapons and dont pose a large threat even when youve taken damage. It just feels wrong now with a lot more power. It wasnt totally useless before either, as a secondary it finished players off well once their shields were down and your primary was out of ammo.

I think the reason forge maps dominated Reach's MP was because the original Reach maps were terrible. Easily the worst in the series, in my opinion.

It's very refreshing to play a Halo game online with no forge maps, though. I wouldn't mind seeing a few thrown into the mix occasionally but I'm perfectly happy without them as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Why did the
UNSC fire/relieve Del Rio of command of the Infinity? Not much explanation was given, and MC defied a direct order from a Captain of the Navy. Sounds more like a court Marshall to me than a cowboy/fraternity law of 'hey it's okay you were right anyways'. They persecuted Halsey, but back up the Chief who has been missing for 4 years?

Well, I think Halsey is a mix of Parangosky's vengeance, the premise of her disappearance (i.e. kidnapping some spartans and high tailing it to Onyx. Can't remember why though, it's been forever since I've read Fall of Reach and that Onyx book) and the revealed info of Child Stealing/Dead Clones. MC Disappeared on a mission to save the Universe. Again.

Now yeah, MC did defy an order. Maybe he'll have some punishment for that at some point. But he's too busy saving the Universe, again, to stick around waiting for that punishment.

Tawpgun

Last I heard, Halsey was trapped on Onyx with the other Spartans. The log in the Composer mission made it seem like she was there, studying it. Is she still on Onyx?

I stopped playing Reach after a few months, but this is game is giving me a Halo 3 vibe all over again where I play for hours on end. I also think a couple Forge maps couldn't hurt. The default version of Foundry is one of my favorite Halo maps of all time.

I stopped playing Reach after a few months, but this is game is giving me a Halo 3 vibe all over again where I play for hours on end. I also think a couple Forge maps couldn't hurt. The default version of Foundry is one of my favorite Halo maps of all time.

mal-what.gif

Spy

I played Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 a lot then moved on to other shooters like Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament but most recently my game of choice has been the Call of Duty series.

Ten maps seems too few; I'm sure I'll get over it when the 9 DLC maps come out but for now it's a problem. Though I am unsure of how this will split the community. The fact that you're able to vote for the last played map is annoying. I don't mind playing Ragnarok, just not 5 times in a row. Complex is way too big for 4 vs. 4 and needs to be moved to another playlist. There's not enough great maps, in my opinion Exile and Haven are the only spectacular maps. The rest are all just good.

Some of the weapons seem useless such as the Pulse Grenades and Suppressor. The Mantis is a bit overpowered. When I die I'd like to see an icon of what weapon killed me. I want to see an endgame killcam and all players kill death without having to press select at the end of the match. Also, I would love to see visible ranks and clan support.

Keep in mind I love this game, just a few things that bug me.

see5harp

I will always see the AR as a secondary. that's the way its always been in halo mp. the good players excel with semi precision weapons eg CE magnum, BR, dmr, and the newer players fuck around with AR for a while til they learn to aim with other weapons and dont pose a large threat even when youve taken damage. It just feels wrong now with a lot more power. It wasnt totally useless before either, as a secondary it finished players off well once their shields were down and your primary was out of ammo.

I think it's possible to do major damage for a good player. Someone I play with has almost exclusively used sprint and assault rifle and is always near the top of the leaderboard. You just have to get close and know when to run away when your shields are down.

Got the game today, and i'm not feeling it if i'm honest. One big problem I have is the controls - I just cannot find a good control scheme that places sprint, armour abilities, reload and crouch all in comfortable positions. No matter which scheme I choose, one of them feels off. Years of conditioning has got me crouching when i'm meant to melee, sprinting when i'm meant to crouch etc.

And I think I must be really spoiled by PC gaming because the graphics are not really impressing me a whole lot. Lots of flat looking textures in that first level as a trade of for scale. I know this is running on 7 year old hardware now, but it's not grabbing me either way. We desperately need new consoles.

Online feels much faster, probably due to sprint being standard, but i'm not liking it as much as the more methodical feeling I associate with Halo. The aforementioned control issues are also messing up my reactions. Xbox Live is always a bitch for me, and here it's no exception - my first game was laggy as shit, and then I got booted offline for no reason. Disappointed overall.

Petrie

Banned
Of course not, but the reality doesn't work like that, old CTF could work still with random players, right now not at all, both can co exist. don't you think? Even then some people prefer stealthy approach to CTF; nothing to do with teamwork or not, right now it's pretty 'cheap'.

I don't think both can co-exist. I don't think there are enough CTF players to split that base into 2 playlists, perhaps something about current CTF can be changed to make it more balanced for each approach, but I find the idea of 2 separate CTF playlists given current player numbers a bit far-fetched.

Kunohara

Can people online please stop fucking choosing Complex for CTF and SWAT, and Exile for BTB? Exile is a good map, but lets play something different for once. Complex on CTF and SWAT are fucking terrible, and yet is always chosen.

Can people online please stop fucking choosing Complex for CTF and SWAT, and Exile for BTB? Exile is a good map, but lets play something different for once. Complex on CTF and SWAT are fucking terrible, and yet is always chosen.
Exile? Shit man what playlist is this, BTB is Ragnarok-exclusive.

Map voting was always a bad idea. :/ I liked the old style. Quitters were always the issue with that, but now that there is JIP that should be non existant. Though I could also see that making the quitting worse...

Exile? Shit man what playlist is this, BTB is Ragnarok-exclusive.

Dominion seems almost Exile exclusive, and I like it. :lol

Top Bottom