• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Another thing COD does better: their menus don't lag like crazy when attempting to do the most basic things, like edit loadouts.
Do you have room to install? All the menus are smooth for me. I think only once were they really slow and that was because all kinds of people were joining and leaving a lobby.

rakka

why the fuck can't you keep moving when you press the back button to check the scoreboard. WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THIS DOESN'T ANYONE AT 343 PLAY HALO
scrolling the scoreboard is now dpad too. it's fucking ridiculous, some of the things theyve changed for no benefit at all but rather making things more difficult.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The story makes absolutely no sense unless you've read like five expanded universe novels. I've played all the Halo games and I had no idea what was happening in the game. It's a terrible way to treat your audience.

I haven't read the novels, and most of it made fine sense to me. The terminals added a lot of background, too.

The story makes absolutely no sense unless you've read like five expanded universe novels. I've played all the Halo games and I had no idea what was happening in the game. It's a terrible way to treat your audience.

Yeah I agree with this. I played 1-3 but not ODST and Reach. Never read any novels either. I was like WTF at
the "Didact"
and hell, even
the "librarian"

I looked up the information on the wiki, but WTF? I shouldn't have to look shit up on a wiki. Especially having played the first 3 games in the series. I even watched IGN's "Halo in 5 minutes" and brushed up on my lore at the aforementioned wiki.

Seriously shitty storytelling all up in this bitch.

DesertFox

So I just bought a Xbox 360 today (I know, late to the party), and was thinking about picking this up. Do I have to play the first 5 Halo's (1-3, ODST, Reach) in order to understand the story, or can I just pick up the game now and enjoy the campaign? If I have to play the others, I don't mind; I'll just rent them from Gamefly.
Ignore the incredibly negative responses here - Halo 4 is definitely worth the $60 price tag and is a must buy if you own a 360

Edit: nvm I guess that wasn't your question. I would recommend playing 1-3 to really grasp the story. But halo 2 will be difficult to rent

So, do the challenges and commendations still give you XP after you hit the XP cap, or are they a complete waste?
EDIT: Just completed two commendations and a challenge, totaling 2000XP. Didn't get shit.

That is extremely stupid. It's almost 9PM. I have to wait...what, five more hours before I can even get any more XP? I have almost no desire to play this game right now because of that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what the... I completed the game with co-op legendary and have 'legendary' tags on every level (for some reason on the first time through my prologue was marked as only heroic) however, I don't see any kind of extra ending. Is there no legendary ending in this, or must I do it solo?

what the... I completed the game with co-op legendary and have 'legendary' tags on every level (for some reason on the first time through my prologue was marked as only heroic) however, I don't see any kind of extra ending. Is there no legendary ending in this, or must I do it solo?
There is like an added 3 seconds during
John taking off his suit.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Gotta do it solo legendary for the proper ending.

So, do the challenges and commendations still give you XP after you hit the XP cap, or are they a complete waste?
EDIT: Just completed two commendations and a challenge, totaling 2000XP. Didn't get shit.

That is extremely stupid. It's almost 9PM. I have to wait...what, five more hours before I can even get any more XP? I have almost no desire to play this game right now because of that.

Or you can play the game to, you know, have fun.

Or you can play the game to, you know, have fun.

If the XP system wasn't even there, I would do just that. But knowing it is there, and that it's locked out for me is extremely shitty.

It's just like the invisible walls in Campaign. Had they just made the rocks taller, so I CAN'T go outside the map, I wouldn't care. But to show me this big open area, that I cannot get to because they walled it off, that sucks.

how much exactly is the xp cap? Because it seems like I get 2k of xp from commendations in game regularly but when the game ends, I only usually get around 1900. Does it count the commendation xp as I earn it, or at the end?

Seance

Banned
So much potential for the multiplayer, this game could be better than Reach and 3 with some fixes.

First: Instant respawn. Combined with sprint it results in very poor gameplay. Killing an enemy only for him to instantly respawn and provide immediate fire is bad enough, but for an enemy to instantly respawn in your line of sight to finish you off immediately is all but game-breaking.

Second: Ordnance. Personal ordnance should be limited to certain weapons like SAW, needler, speed, OS, Sticky det, scattershot and shotty. Its totally unfair when the other team is given the option for damage boost/sniper weapon and you aren't.
More importantly however is the global ordnance. Not only does it spawn in seemingly random locations, but it spawns a random weapon at random times. Global ordnance needs to be predictable to facilitate map flow and motivate players to set up and control key points of the map.

GhaleonEB

So I'm sitting here after finishing Sniper Alley Mission on a black screen. I can still fire my weapons and such. The chapter complete message showed up already. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Same thing happened to me today. I had to play through it twice to get credit for the completion.

So much potential for the multiplayer, this game could be better than Reach and 3 with some fixes.

First: Instant respawn. Combined with sprint it results in very poor gameplay. Killing an enemy only for him to instantly respawn and provide immediate fire is bad enough, but for an enemy to instantly respawn in your line of sight to finish you off immediately is all but game-breaking.
I did this to someone earlier today. I got out DMR'd near bubble side (still call it that) on Ragnarock during a KotH game. I instant respawn near the base and finish him off from very long range with the DMR before his shields have recharged. Felt so, so cheap. I actually felt guilty.

Second: Ordnance. Personal ordnance should be limited to certain weapons like SAW, needler, speed, OS, Sticky det, scattershot and shotty. Its totally unfair when the other team is given the option for damage boost/sniper weapon and you aren't.
More importantly however is the global ordnance. Not only does it spawn in seemingly random locations, but it spawns a random weapon at random times. Global ordnance needs to be predictable to facilitate map flow and motivate players to set up and control key points of the map.
It really does decimate the flow of the game. What used to be a nice cadence of deliberately metered heavy ordnance, which teams would coalesce around contesting, becomes a bit of a clusterfuck. Luck plays an enormous role in the outcome of games; it's impossible to put together a comeback strategy that hinges on ordnance; there are far too many power weapons in play at once, especially in BTB, and so on. Of the many game systems in Halo 4 that are questionable, the global ordnance ranks high. It adds nothing to and subtracts much from the game.

I'll still work through Spartan Ops. And may hop on now and then to try and get a Halo fix in War Games. But by and large, I'm done with Halo 4. I'm really bummed about this. I wanted to love this game, but there are so many problems, from the nuts and bolts gameplay to the bugs to things like flinch and ordnance, I can't embrace the game. Every time I try, I feel shoved away. This simply isn't the Halo I've loved for ten years.

Archpath1

maybe if your team is winning, you don't receive the good ordinance? like Dmg boost, incineration cannon, and such, and get lower tier ordinance, and losing gets the others , to balance out?

tumblr_mco71qWIg51rpibioo1_500.gif

Best gif from the best thread

rakka

It really does decimate the flow of the game. What used to be a nice cadence of deliberately metered heavy ordnance, which teams would coalesce around contesting, becomes a bit of a clusterfuck. Luck plays an enormous role in the outcome of games; it's impossible to put together a comeback strategy that hinges on ordnance; there are far too many power weapons in play at once, especially in BTB, and so on. Of the many game systems in Halo 4 that are questionable, the global ordnance ranks high. It adds nothing to and subtracts much from the game..

im trying so hard not to go back to reach mp right now. people say adapt to change, blah, blah, yeah fucking right how do you adapt to gameplay that is random and based largley on luck.

because of how fast and op zombies are? Zombies was perfected in Halo 2 and has yet to be repeated. You simply don't understand.

I agree on this, they might as well give you a dmr instead of the magnum since it does absolutely nothing. As human, it is impossible to win since the thrusters can make the zombies come at every direction

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'll still work through Spartan Ops. And may hop on now and then to try and get a Halo fix in War Games. But by and large, I'm done with Halo 4. I'm really bummed about this. I wanted to love this game, but there are so many problems, from the nuts and bolts gameplay to the bugs to things like flinch and ordnance, I can't embrace the game. Every time I try, I feel shoved away. This simply isn't the Halo I've loved for ten years.

what is flinch?

I don't really get comments like yours either. I've loved halo for 10 years as well and I love this halo. it's great.

shrug.

Partway through 7th stage on Legendary. Gets quite rough in spots but very satisfying when overcoming the odds. The part that I dreaded--
in the forest, having to hold position while Cortana works on the door
--turned out not so bad. But it was almost hilariously infuriating when I died in the next section and discovered the game didn't register a new checkpoint and was sent back to do it again.

So I was forced to play through it twice in a row. Fortunately saw it register the checkpoint after that, and also the only time this happened.

Playing through again has reemphasized how much I like MC speaking. Comes off as even more heroic, taking command and even with others (including Cortana) having difficulty he is always "we'll get it done" or "we'll work around it".

Only negative that has again stood out is the non-spoken audio during cutscenes. As oft-noted, compression seems terrible. Did they use a compression setting called "Paper Bag" or something? Anyway, overall enjoying the campaign anew.

Partway through 7th stage on Legendary. Gets quite rough in spots but very satisfying when overcoming the odds. The part that I dreaded--
in the forest, having to hold position while Cortana works on the door
--turned out not so bad. But it was almost hilariously infuriating when I died in the next section and discovered the game didn't register a new checkpoint and was sent back to do it again.

So I was forced to play through it twice in a row. Fortunately saw it register the checkpoint after that, and also the only time this happened.

Playing through again has reemphasized how much I like MC speaking. Comes off as even more heroic, taking command and even with others (including Cortana) having difficulty he is always "we'll get it done" or "we'll work around it".

Only negative that has again stood out is the non-spoken audio during cutscenes. As oft-noted, compression seems terrible. Did they use a compression setting called "Paper Bag" or something? Anyway, overall enjoying the campaign anew.

7th stage? Boy, do we have news for you.

Yes, but it meant you couldn't get one-shot by a Binary Rifle because the guy can't unscope.

True, but how often do I have to deal with a Binary Rifle killing me because there's no descoping? And compare that to how often I get to engage in the rescope-struggle game that's never been fun?

Hint: one happens rarely, and the other is every single match.

GhaleonEB

Getting knocked out of it was more annoying.

I thought it was a good trade off until I played it. The real problem is the 3x scope on the rifles. In past Halos, you would not get pinged from ultra long range, and so you rarely were required to scope just to return fire. When Reach introduced the DMR, you would get pinged from across maps from over 2x the range we did in Halo 1-3. That meant unless you were scoped, you were unable to hit (and sometimes even see) who was shooting you. That meant players would get tagged, scope in to return fire, get tagged again, rescope, and so on. It was annoying and led to frustrating deaths (among other reasons).

343 addressed this not by returning our engagement range to what it had been, but by removing de-scoping as a mechanic. Only now, you can't aim straight when taking fire when scoped, so it's now a game of trying to wrestle a bobbing targeting reticule around in order to aim straight. Which to me, is a dramatically more frustrating experience.

I should note that things like bobbing targeting reticules are among my most hated mechanics in all of FPS, and one of the reasons I enjoyed Halo was because the game didn't go there. It never resorted to fucking with our ability to aim straight as way of balancing things. So it's a borderline deal breaker for me that Halo 4 dropped it in, and worse, dropped it in as a way to paper over the problems introduced with the DMR.

Top Bottom