• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

+1 for Thruster being good.

Everything else feels like a gimmick with only very situational use, while Thruster is useful constantly.
Dashing away from grenades. Avoiding getting splattered by vehicles. Turning the tables when an opponent has the advantage in close combat. Getting behind cover fast. Throwing off the aim of people shooting at you. Etc etc.

Get to know it, learn how to use it, and you'll never look back.

Hologram. I can't tell you how many times that thing has given me the jump on enemies or gave me a chance to escape. I poo poo'd on it hard in Reach where I always opted for Sprint, but it's still surprising how many fall for it, especially if you deploy it correctly.

see5harp

+1 for Thruster being good.

Everything else feels like a gimmick with only very situational use, while Thruster is useful constantly.
Dashing away from grenades. Avoiding getting splattered by vehicles. Turning the tables when an opponent has the advantage in close combat. Getting behind cover fast. Throwing off the aim of people shooting at you. Etc etc.

Get to know it, learn how to use it, and you'll never look back.

Wow. Maybe I need to invest a week learning the art.

ultron87

For me Hardlight Shield is easily the winner. It saves me from so many deaths where someone gets the first few shots in while I'm looking elsewhere and it gives me time to either get in cover or for my team mates to roll in and save the day.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
After the last couple of days i've shed any notion that slayer pro is any better than infinity in respect to player intelligence.

XNarte

Hologram. I can't tell you how many times that thing has given me the jump on enemies or gave me a chance to escape. I poo poo'd on it hard in Reach where I always opted for Sprint, but it's still surprising how many fall for it, especially if you deploy it correctly.

I know. I love it in this game. It's such a great way let people give away their positions.

Biggzy

images.jpg

Joke post?

Promethean vision destroys all, why would you not want to know where the enemy is?

Dominates on small to midsized maps like Haven.

Oh, not this again...

PV's usefulness really relies now how you play. Players who play with a team and have good communication and map awareness don't find PV as useful as other AA's.

see5harp

For me Hardlight Shield is easily the winner. It saves me from so many deaths where someone gets the first few shots in while I'm looking elsewhere and it gives me time to either get in cover or for my team mates to roll in and save the day.

I have one loadout that is sorta tanklike in that I use assault rifle, grenade damage, hardlight shield, for the front lines. Shield is awesome if you are rolling in a pack.

I love the variety we're seeing in armor ability preferences.

I'm honestly worried that we'll trend toward jetpack ultimately, but I haven't seen it yet.

pakkit

Banned

Hologram is considerably stronger in H4, too. In Reach, it displayed as a grey dot instead of a red dot on the radar. Here, it lasts longer, throws off aim, and shows as an enemy on the radar and in Promethean Vision.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Oh, not this again...

PV's usefulness really relies now how you play. Players who play with a team and have good communication and map awareness don't find PV as useful as other AA's.

AA's are not made with the team play in mind, they are for individual Spartans. Yes if you have a good team that communicates you should know the general locations of enemies on the map but that does not beat knowing their exact location around a corner or hitting it real quick once you spawn to see where the enemies are heading.

I am all about team work but that information is only as reliable as the persons description.

I'm honestly worried that we'll trend toward jetpack ultimately, but I haven't seen it yet.

I think they did a really good job with the AA. It is still early but nothing is pissing my off like Armor Lock use to.

There isn't a single great AA, it really does depend on your play style, map, and gametype. For me jetpack is a must on Haven because of all the jumps you can make with it. I'm not going to be using jetpack on Ragnarok though.

see5harp

Honestly, I think that's great that everything (aside from Jetpack for me) has some actual use in multiplayer. Even jetpack can probably have some advantages for objective type matches.

Joke post?

Promethean vision destroys all, why would you not want to know where the enemy is?

Dominates on small to midsized maps like Haven.

Maybe I'm using the shit in a wrong way, but I don't understand how it's anything but a supplement to the radar. Your comment carries the implication that you're completely blind as to enemy locations without the PV. The radar is sufficient for me. It also tells me on the radar when others use it, and I've noticed it never seems to help them much either.

see5harp

Really pro vision probably helps identify crouching guys but you only need one dude rolling that way to spot. Everything else from location, to cloak is detectable via radar.

I think they did a really good job with the AA. It is still early but nothing is pissing my off like Armor Lock use to.

There isn't a single great AA, it really does depend on your play style, map, and gametype. For me jetpack is a must on Haven because of all the jumps you can make with it. I'm not going to be using jetpack on Ragnarok though.

Jetpack on Ragnarok is awesome. You can climb on top of all kinds of rocks and eek out lame kills before the soft kill zone takes care of you. It also lets you attack the base from the front, so stealing flags is much easier. Kill chasing, of course, is a lot easier because you can jetpeek over rocks and hills. And it makes kicking dudes out of Banshees or just dodging splatters easier.

It's my ability of choice on every map, though.

AA's are not made with the team play in mind, they are for individual Spartans. Yes if you have a good team that communicates you should know the general locations of enemies on the map but that does not beat knowing their exact location around a corner or hitting it real quick once you spawn to see where the enemies are heading.

I am all about team work but that information is only as reliable as the persons description.

Yeah, but with teammates communicating constantly I can know where people are without my location being pinged on the map and still having another useful AA.

AA's not being made with teams in mind doesn't matter, if a person playing with a team can benefit more from another AA than it's the better choice.

I miss having specific parts of the map dedicated to specific power weapons. It lends to a certain level of predictability which causes the other team to actually develop a strategy around that in order to adapt and win. It also rewarded teams for having that strategy and for taking/holding a specific area.

Izayoi

Banned
Promethean Vision is great for people who don't understand how to use the radar, which is ridiculously good in this game. Basic knowledge of map layout coupled with the radar means you'll know exactly where everyone around you is unless they're crouching.

As far as MP goes, this is probably one of my favorites. I absolutely love the DMR and I think it's really the saving grace, despite the questionable quality of some of the maps (although Complex, Ragnarok, and Abandon are great - and I'm warming up to Haven). The new Oddball is a lot of fun, but unfortunately it seems to be the only objective gametype really worth playing - CTF is alright but why the fuck does it show up in asymmetrical maps? Why is one-flag gone? There are a lot of problems, but on the whole it's enjoyable.

Naked Lunch

Promethean Vision is great for people who don't understand how to use the radar, which is ridiculously good in this game. Basic knowledge of map layout coupled with the radar means you'll know exactly where everyone around you is unless they're crouching.
Just call it like it is - Promethean Vision is for scrubs, period. I guess we got to the point in online gaming where wallhacks are now legal. Its a sad thing. Speaking of scrubs, CTF is basically ruined because they noobed it up showing everyone on the map the flag carrier at all times. Communication was overrated anyways, right? Wallhacks and the new CTF rules: the very definition of dumbing down for the masses.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just call it like it is - Promethean Vision is for scrubs, period. I guess we got to the point in online gaming where wallhacks are now legal. Its a sad thing. Speaking of scrubs, CTF is basically ruined because they noobed it up showing everyone on the map the flag carrier at all times. Communication was overrated anyways, right? Wallhacks and the new CTF rules: the very definition of dumbing down for the masses.
Unfortunately.. I agree with all of this.

Woorloog

Banned
Has anyone tried the hard light shield in conjunction with the Shielding perk? Curious how effective those two things are together.

Doesn't work, as the Hard Light Shield prevents normal shield regen (so, walk behind cover and let the HLS dissipate).
The Shielding perk only increases the shield's recharge speed, not how soon it starts to recharge.

stktt

Banned

So, Halo sold out?

Put me in with the thruster pack group, saved my ass many times.

Same here. It went from worthless to my most used AA.

Yeah, they need to nerf it hard. Running into teams where every player is running it is the absolute worst.

Also agree with CTF, it's a needless change. They also need to put the "stand near flag to reset" function back in. Why is the game rewarding idiots who constantly throw themselves at the flag and causing the timer to reset again.

All these people bitching about PV need to get over it. Its really not that bad compared to how it was at e3 being spammed every 2 seconds. And on the bigger maps, its really not that effective unless people are right beside you.

People bitch about camping, they implement a solution, so people start bitching about the solution.

Get over it. Constant overreacting over here.

Card Boy

Banned
I just wish the game didn't have active camo or Promethean vision. Or at least make Active camo a drop on the map. I would prefer no ordnance aswell but luckily its only in Infinity modes.

Also Exile is bullshit and is worse than Ragnarok Mantises; a Gauss Hog, a Banshee, A Scorpion, Ghosts and regular hogs? Fuck that. At least get rid of the Gauss Hog.

I was just about to post this. 343i might as well rename the playlist to it.

Thats my biggest issue with the game right now. I really hope they address this fast cause it will turn people off. Its already turned me completely off that whole playlist altogether.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
So, Halo sold out?

Same here. It went from worthless to my most used AA.

Can you describe thruster to me? I have useless abilities but I want to switch to this one since some people seem to move much faster than me :/

Silly.Mikey said:
Its basically the evade AA from Reach, but with a thruster pack instead.

thanks man. I think I'll unlock that tonight and give it a spin.

Doesn't work, as the Hard Light Shield prevents normal shield regen (so, walk behind cover and let the HLS dissipate).
The Shielding perk only increases the shield's recharge speed, not how soon it starts to recharge.

Ah, I wondered about that at one point in Campaign but I was distracted enough by the enemies to not come to a conclusion. Thanks for the heads up. So is Shielding useful at all? I figured it was just the charge as making it happen sooner would be OP but I don't recall the charge being all that slow, it's more the wait. I figured the light shield would make up for the weakness and they would work well together but since you can't use both simultaneously...

watership

Is Thruster actually that useful? I feel like the zoomed out camera might be tricking me into thinking I'm moving a shorter distance than I actually am.

I love it. That extra push to get your around the corner or get the upper hand in a close quarters encounter. I find it's really good when you're coming down from a man cannon into some danger, a quick thrust in the right direction will save your ass.

Is Thruster actually that useful? I feel like the zoomed out camera might be tricking me into thinking I'm moving a shorter distance than I actually am.

Don't know about regular play but for Flood I always choose the thruster when I'm infected. I don't know if it is a glitch or intentional but you can still melee guys with the sword during the thruster animation.

All these people bitching about PV need to get over it. Its really not that bad compared to how it was at e3 being spammed every 2 seconds. And on the bigger maps, its really not that effective unless people are right beside you.

People bitch about camping, they implement a solution, so people start bitching about the solution.

How is PV a solution to camping? You still have your radar. PV isn't a solution to anything.

It doesn't bother me as much as other posters, it DOES bother me when I run into entire teams with it on Adrift, but to say it was 343's solution to camping is misguided.

Sissel

The solution to camping is to put power weapons for players to fight for (which 343 threw out the window with the random ordinance bullshit). Promethean vision makes it easier to camp, it lets you know when players are approaching you.

And the fact that you say PV is "really not that bad..." says it all. It's not that bad.... but it's not good either (for the game). So why have it?

How is PV a solution to camping? You still have your radar. PV isn't a solution to anything.

It doesn't bother me as much as other posters, it DOES bother me when I run into entire teams with it on Adrift, but to say it was 343's solution to camping is misguided.

It was a counter to that and camo.

Sissel

So you have that magic radar where you can see people that camp around corners?

I would like to get one please.
waiting around a corner is camping now? We should just place icons above all the players heads at this point. We'll remove all camping.

Cetra

Man Legendary on H4 seems... off somehow. I can't really describe it. Where it was extremely rewarding after every encounter on 3-Reach, on H4 it just feels... hollow or something. It's still fun, but... somehow less rewarding.

So you have that magic radar where you can see people that camp around corners?

I would like to get one please.

I've come across enough idiots who seemingly travel entire maps crouching, but not enough for me to use PV...ever. And if they wanna crouch around everywhere that's fine, they have less opportunities to get kills since they're traveling so slow and limiting themselves to one area. I don't condone the noobs who do this as it's very aggravating but whatever, I get killed once, I tell my teammates, they go kill the camper.

Camping can be countered against through simple teamwork and communication.

It was a counter to that and camo.

I'll give you camo. PV is still not a direct counter to camping.

EDIT: It still doesn't bother me as much as others. If they changed where you got a 1-2 second "wave" of vision that'd be a better fix if you ask me.

Top Bottom