• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I've come across enough idiots who seemingly travel entire maps crouching, but not enough for me to use PV...ever. And if they wanna crouch around everywhere that's fine, they have less opportunities to get kills since they're traveling so slow and limiting themselves to one area. I don't condone the noobs who do this as it's very aggravating but whatever, I get killed once, I tell my teammates, they go kill the camper.

Camping can be countered against through simple teamwork and communication.

I'll give you camo. PV is still not a direct counter to camping.

How does it not help in regard to camping? Before you'd walk by someone who was camping and he had the drop on you, now you have the drop on them. Its the definition of a direct counter to camping. People who hate campers can use that and be happy. I never use PV, i camp all the time when protecting my base or flag and i have 0 problems with it. And IM the person its trying to disadvantage.

How does it not help in regard to camping? Before you'd walk by someone who was camping and he had the drop on you, now you have the drop on them. Its the definition of a direct counter to camping. People who hate campers can use that and be happy. I never use PV, i camp all the time when protecting my base or flag and i have 0 problems with it. And IM the person its trying to disadvantage.

I suppose with me, it's the lesser of two evils, camping being the lesser of the evils compared to PV.

If you also suspect someone is camping in a certain spot, you can also in turn crouch walk to that spot to check. IDK to me there's lots of other counters to camping rather than putting in PV.

Sissel

Fuck people who hate "campers". Playing defense =/= camping.

DesertFox

The solution to camping is to put power weapons for players to fight for (which 343 threw out the window with the random ordinance bullshit). Promethean vision makes it easier to camp, it lets you know when players are approaching you.

And the fact that you say PV is "really not that bad..." says it all. It's not that bad.... but it's not good either (for the game). So why have it?

This is personally the only way that I've seen Promethean Vision being used against me.

I suppose with me, it's the lesser of two evils, camping being the lesser of the evils compared to PV.

If you also suspect someone is camping in a certain spot, you can also in turn crouch walk to that spot to check. IDK to me there's lots of other counters to camping rather than putting in PV.

Ya they could have done that. I still personally really dont mind it one way or another. Even if the other guy has PV, they still have to out-shoot me and ive been doing better in this game K/D wise then i have been in Halo3 or Reach. My kill death went up from 1.30 to 1.45. And this is with people using a "wall hack" PV ability.

Camping still sucks, but I don't think anyone was clamoring for "OMG GIMME A WALLHACK SO I CAN KILL CAMPERZ!!!" Again, teamwork, communication, and just general knowledge of a map can act as a counter to camping.

Of course minus the idiot who chooses some completely random spot to start crouching around, that's the most aggravating.

Ya they could have done that. I still personally really dont mind it one way or another. Even if the other guy has PV, they still have to out-shoot me and ive been doing better in this game K/D wise then i have been in Halo3 or Reach. My kill death went up from 1.30 to 1.45. And this is with people using a "wall hack" PV ability.

I don't mind when 1 or 2 guys run PV, it bothers me when entire teams run it, games turn into just a battle of attrition, this is most evident on Adrift for me. They know where we are with their PV, we know where they are because of the radar and when they use PV, it' just a standoff.

Camping still sucks, but I don't think anyone was clamoring for "OMG GIMME A WALLHACK SO I CAN KILL CAMPERZ!!!" Again, teamwork, communication, and just general knowledge of a map can act as a counter to camping.

Of course minus the idiot who chooses some completely random spot to start crouching around, that's the most aggravating.

I don't mind when 1 or 2 guys run PV, it bothers me when entire teams run it, games turn into just a battle of attrition, this is most evident on Adrift for me. They know where we are with their PV, we know where they are because of the radar and when they use PV, it' just a standoff.

An entire team using it, to me, is a big waste of an ability. Ive tried it a few times and it just doesn't last long enough for me to want to use it over camo.

A good team will have one guy using it calling out the enemies and other guys using a variety of things, Jetpack, camo, etc.. A whole team of PV is just stupid.

MP is so fun in this game. 343i failed to evolve the SP in any meaningful way, but MP feels really good. Last MP I tried online was Halo 3 and I felt really bored, here I'm constantly having fun.

As someone who has never played MP much before in a Halo game I'm surprised at how much I can hold my own. Constantly in the top 3 on my team, often the top player. Not saying I'm good, there's just a lot of people of equal skill or worse. Quite surprising.

GamerSoul

I never encountered a whole team using PV. I've cussed in disbelief at a lot of things in Halo 4 but getting killed by a dude using PV is not one of them.

Sissel

You never played me. Ill find a place. :p

As long as theres walls, theres a way.
You can hide all you want on those maps. Only thing you'll catch will be my frag nades. :p

edit: This is all hypothetical though. MS spit in the face of all Halo 2 fans by making it unplayable on XBL for....what again? -_-

With a little tweaking, I think an environment featured in Spartan Ops would make for a good multiplayer map. Is the one set inside a multileveled circular Forerunner structure. The layout instantly reminded me of Wizard mixed with Derelict, with additional levels and about twice as wide.

Like I said, it would need some changes to prevent plays from raining death from the top of the map, but I think it would work well as a symmetrical, arena-style map.

You can hide all you want on those maps. Only thing you'll catch will be my frag nades. :p

edit: This is all hypothetical though. MS spit in the face of all Halo 2 fans by making it unplayable on XBL for....what again? -_-

They said some of the newer "upgrades" were not compatible with older, original xbox live games.

Crazyorloco

just got the game. I like it. Awesome CGI. Almost life like. The first level is more enjoyable than most of the levels in Halo Reach. And unlike others, I love the music. The main menus are nice too. I'm just finding an issue with the controls.

In halo reach I played with Recon controls, but now in halo 4 I can't use recon because sprint is the X button (on xbox 360). I can't run (with X) and use the right control stick (to look around) like I use to in Halo reach (Halo reach had sprint as left bumper, way more comfortable). So in Halo 4 you CAN'T run and look around, you can only run straight. And on top of this, the right control stick crouches...I press down a lot on that by mistake. Maybe i'm doing this wrong, maybe a gaffer here can help me a bit, is there a way to run and look around comfortably in recon controls?

Right now I am trying to get use to the Default controls...it's taking me awhile... I keep using melee for reloading. practice makes perfect.

just got the game. I like it. Awesome CGI. Almost life like. The first level is more enjoyable than most of the levels in Halo Reach. And unlike others, I love the music. The main menus are nice too. I'm just finding an issue with the controls.

In halo reach I played with Recon controls, but now in halo 4 I can't use recon because sprint is the X button (on xbox 360). I can't run (with X) and use the right control stick like I use to in Halo reach (Halo reach had sprint as left bumper, way more comfortable) And on top of this, the right control stick crouches...I press down a lot on that by mistake.

So right now I am trying to get use to the Default controls...it's taking me awhile... I keep using melee for reloading. practice makes perfect.

lol I had the same problem! I kept pressing the fokin bumper to run!!!! But i got used to it, mostly by playing as lot and not playing Reach anymore. ;)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

In halo reach I played with Recon controls, but now in halo 4 I can't use recon because sprint is the X button (on xbox 360). I can't run (with X) and use the right control stick like I use to in Halo reach (Halo reach had sprint as left bumper, way more comfortable) And on top of this, the right control stick crouches...I press down a lot on that by mistake.

So right now I am trying to get use to the Default controls...it's taking me awhile... I keep using melee for reloading. practice makes perfect.
As a former Recon user, I'm not really satisfied with any of the setups. They all have at least one button assignment that I don't like — I don't think I've ever wanted an option to fully customize so badly, and I almost never do that in games. So, I just decided to go with Default since, well, it's the default, and as it turns out, it's not so bad. Melee on RB is really the only thing that's taken some time to get used to, but it's not as problematic as I thought it would be since I use it way, way less than I ever used to. CQC just doesn't really happen in this game.

Finished the campaign (heroic) last night and boy were the sound levels all over the place.
When I did hear the music it felt like it wouldn't be out of place in Michael Bay's Transformers
that's a negative

Probably my least favourite campaign of the series but was still a solid romp with some eye candy along the way.

Hopefully new hardware will help 343 build their Halo into something great.

Crazyorloco

As a former Recon user, I'm not really satisfied with any of the setups. They all have at least one button assignment that I don't like — I don't think I've ever wanted an option to fully customize so badly, and I almost never do that in games. So, I just decided to go with Default since, well, it's the default, and as it turns out, it's not so bad. Melee on RB is really the only thing that's taken some time to get used to, but it's not as problematic as I thought it would be since I use it way, way less than I ever used to. CQC just doesn't really happen in this game.

lol I had the same problem! I kept pressing the fokin bumper to run!!!! But i got used to it, mostly by playing as lot and not playing Reach anymore. ;)

Lol i'm not the only one struggling here. Vatstep, I had the same problem, I had an issue with all the setups too (disliked at least one button) I'm playing on legendary and the new controls have cost me my life about a thousand times. Muscle memory is a crazy thing.

I can't wait to get use to the controls. I think in a few days i'll be back to kicking butt again.

Booties

Banned
Get rid of this no zoom out when shot crap. I keep losing anything inside sniper range because I'm zoomed in and can adjust my aim quickly enough.

This UI gets worse by the day.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Get rid of this no zoom out when shot crap. I keep losing anything inside sniper range because I'm zoomed in and can adjust my aim quickly enough.

This UI gets worse by the day.

Im semi inclined to agree. It really gives whoever lands the first shot a huge advantage.

Booties

Banned
Im semi inclined to agree. It really gives whoever lands the first shot a huge advantage.

It works in CoD because you have ADS guns. It's just bad for Halo because it's either on or off. The entire appeal of this game is that you have a chance to win any 1v1 fight at any time. When you get hit while scoped at mid-range you can't adjust and be competitive. You just flounder and die because you got hit first. I know people are just going to say adapt because they're dumb as hell, but this is not good.

Recarpo

Yep, can't stand it. That and flinch and 2 things I wouldn't be sad to see go.

Also, just got put into a big team match that was tied at 920 when I got in. I thought 343 guys said there was some mechanism that wouldn't let something like that happen.

rakka

just get rid of join in progress altogether.

disallow quitting when full game has been found

give sufficient time, 20-30 sec for post game so people can check out carnage report and decide whether they want to stay or go etc

have a penalty for quitting too often.

basically, go back to the reach system. it worked better. JIP made things worse.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
just get rid of join in progress altogether.

disallow quitting when full game has been found

give sufficient time, 20-30 sec for post game so people can check out carnage report and decide whether they want to stay or go etc

have a penalty for quitting too often.

basically, go back to the reach system. it worked better. JIP made things worse.

I think the big problem really is insufficient time to read carnage reports. I usually skip them and quit the game just I can look at them in peace. Which is a shame sometimes, because I sometimes have a good group.

Either that or have a ready up function for smaller matches.

Top Bottom