• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Meh, that's stupid. You'll lose long range battles 100% of the time because of it.
That wasn't the case in previous games, so I very much doubt it. Though personally I think I prefer flinching, while it's disorienting to have it happen it's easier for me to adjust my bouncing crosshair than to repeatedly click in the stick to zoom at an opponent who's pelting me with fire. Either way the concept is similar, to put a disadvantage on the one being attacked while trying to scope and making them adjust.

exYle

just get rid of join in progress altogether.

disallow quitting when full game has been found

give sufficient time, 20-30 sec for post game so people can check out carnage report and decide whether they want to stay or go etc

have a penalty for quitting too often.

basically, go back to the reach system. it worked better. JIP made things worse.

No, yes, no, no.

Disallowing quitting in-game just creates a Gears of War 2 situation: people just go straight to the Dashboard.

Yes.

No. You can try this, but it won't discourage quitting enough to stop it from being a problem.

GOD NO. I am sick and tired of 8 vs 4 situations because some guy and his guests decide that they're too frustrated to continue. At the very least, there is now a CHANCE that these spots get filled.

I absolutely despise this clamor for the old Halo lobby system. IT DIDN'T WORK. IT CREATED MORE NEGATIVES THAN POSITIVES. Join in progress creates at most minor inconveniences.

been experiencing a lot of lag recently even when there arent a lot of people playing. annoying as hell.

also, how can i not suck with a ghost? i feel like im shooting at a guy for a whole minute with the crosshairs red but it does nothing and i end up getting blown up :(

been experiencing a lot of lag recently even when there arent a lot of people playing. annoying as hell.

also, how can i not suck with a ghost? i feel like im shooting at a guy for a whole minute with the crosshairs red but it does nothing and i end up getting blown up :(

Since Halo 2, the only things Ghosts are useful for are splatters. If you're using the guns you're doing it wrong.

Fuchsdh

Since Halo 2, the only things Ghosts are useful for are splatters. If you're using the guns you're doing it wrong.

I think they're quite useful in Halo 4 with the guns, provided you're paying attention to your surroundings, but Longbow's narrow vehicle paths do tend to clump up people nicely for splatters.

Cetra

God I love BTB in this game. So insane and the back and forth with points is tense as hell. Last 5 matches have closed with the teams within 10 points of each other. Badass.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
image.php

tumblr_mac3x3mzkj1ruj2iwo1_400.gif

It works in CoD because you have ADS guns. It's just bad for Halo because it's either on or off. The entire appeal of this game is that you have a chance to win any 1v1 fight at any time. When you get hit while scoped at mid-range you can't adjust and be competitive. You just flounder and die because you got hit first. I know people are just going to say adapt because they're dumb as hell, but this is not good.

Nope you are totally right. If you get hit first you almost have no chance if scoped.

Lag has been bad, the worst of any Halo. Im talking guys skipping all over the place lag too not just minor lag. Netcode needs some patching I think.

You know, after finishing up the weekly Regicide challenge, the mode has really grown on me. It's not the most competitive mode thanks to the rubber banding of the scores, but it's still pretty entertaining.

rakka

No, yes, no, no.

Disallowing quitting in-game just creates a Gears of War 2 situation: people just go straight to the Dashboard.
I'm referring to not allowing quitting just before a match, which is ridiculous. in reach you could quit if for example 4 out of 8 players were found but if 8/8 were found then you couldn't, which made perfect sense. it gave you time to quit during search as long as a full game hasn't been found. I mean, halo 4 allows you to quit during map vote. it leads to way to many uneven starts, reach had a lot less of those because it would make sure even teams were found before map voting. not the case for 4. if someone quits during search half the fuckibg time vote starts with stupidly uneven teams.

as to quitting in game, I wasnt referring to that in regard to allowing it or not

No. You can try this, but it won't discourage quitting enough to stop it from being a problem.

really? penalty for quitting would be a bad thing? news to me.

GOD NO. I am sick and tired of 8 vs 4 situations because some guy and his guests decide that they're too frustrated to continue. At the very least, there is now a CHANCE that these spots get filled.

sometimes I Want randoms to leave my games due to them going negative and making it harder to win the match. I don't always want players doing crap to quit only to be replaced by more negative players .

I absolutely despise this clamor for the old Halo lobby system. IT DIDN'T WORK. IT CREATED MORE NEGATIVES THAN POSITIVES. Join in progress creates at most minor inconveniences.
alright, maybe it has it's benefits but make it a damn option at least for those of us who dont want to join a team just about to lose.

Booshka

I loved Halo CE's aiming mechanics the most because you didn't have to zoom in for ranged fights, you didn't lose the aim assist and magnetism over range like you do in every other Halo. So if you got shot out of your zoom, you didn't have to zoom back in to have a chance.

Most good players didn't even zoom in the first place, because you have more awareness out of zoom and are able to switch between targets more effectively. I don't like how the aim mechanics change over range and are dependent on whether I am zoomed or not, it should be dictated by the maximum range of the weapon and only that.

With Halo 4, the flinching seems just as bad if not worse as a balancing mechanic for not being de-scoped when shot. Zooming should just be for long range accurate shots and scouting out areas from afar. Having it affect the core mechanics of aiming, with the aim assist and magnetism being turned off out of zoom at a certain range, then turned back on when zoomed in has been a jarring and sloppy mechanic ever since it was introduced in Halo 2 in my opinion.

Dirtbag

God I really hate CTF now with all the changes. They really did ruin it.
And my other favorite mode 1-flag is gone or just not online?

Having fun with it regardless, but the objective type games really just dont have the tension / excitement of the past games. Maybe its the way they play, maybe its the whole ordinance stuff. I duno. Vehicles outside of the Mantis just dont seem to be that much fun either. I'd rather just play around with my armor abilities and shoot the rifles.

Ready for some forge maps in matchmaking.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
God I really hate CTF now with all the changes. They really did ruin it.
And my other favorite mode 1-flag is gone or just not online?

Having fun with it regardless, but the objective type games really just dont have the tension / excitement of the past games. Maybe its the way they play, maybe its the whole ordinance stuff. I duno. Vehicles outside of the Mantis just dont seem to be that much fun either. I'd rather just play around with my armor abilities and shoot the rifles.

Ready for some forge maps in matchmaking.
I think the changes they made to CTF really made it first to 5 rather than the previous Halos where it was hard to even get one capture. Not sure if I like it this way, but I do like the changes they made to the flag carrier. Countless double kills carrying the flag, so fun/strong.

7th stage? Boy, do we have news for you.

Just triggered the "2 for 160g" Legendary achievements, and actually I'm curious as to what was supposed to be such a big deal. Only thing that gave me a repeated problem on 8 was halfway through, the
bridge section with the scripted defense point at the corner
, no power weapon and facing a
Knight with a Binary rifle
that I eventually had no recourse but to risk running straight at to Suppressor into oblivion.

exYle

I'm referring to not allowing quitting just before a match, which is ridiculous. in reach you could quit if for example 4 out of 8 players were found but if 8/8 were found then you couldn't, which made perfect sense. it gave you time to quit during search as long as a full game hasn't been found. I mean, halo 4 allows you to quit during map vote. it leads to way to many uneven starts, reach had a lot less of those because it would make sure even teams were found before map voting. not the case for 4. if someone quits during search half the fuckibg time vote starts with stupidly uneven teams.

as to quitting in game, I wasnt referring to that in regard to allowing it or not

Okay, fair.

really? penalty for quitting would be a bad thing? news to me.

Sorry, let me rephrase. I didn't say that it was bad, I said that it doesn't always work. Here's a couple problems with punishing quitting:
1) Idling instead of quitting
2) Thin line between punishing actual quitters and people who have to quit for real-life issues
3) Doesn't ALWAYS stop quitters at the right time.

sometimes I Want randoms to leave my games due to them going negative and making it harder to win the match. I don't always want players doing crap to quit only to be replaced by more negative players .

That's a problem that persists throughout multiplayer games. In fact, this could still happen in the previous Halo games: someone leaves after the match, and is replaced with someone just as horrible.

alright, maybe it has it's benefits but make it a damn option at least for those of us who dont want to join a team just about to lose.

Fair.

Ok so i missed the matchmaking on the 1st Spartan Ops episode because i wanted to complete the campaign first. So if you miss a week there will be no way of matchmaking for those episodes? I guess i better play episode 2 until im absolutely sick of it before im no longer able to co-op it with randoms.

Most of my friends play CoD so thats why i have to depend on randoms.

LowParry

So Camo with light rifle and the "perk" to let you use two primary weapons for BTB makes me feel dirty like I'm cheating the game.

So, I decided it's pretty ridiculous that every review outlet and podcast has fallen over itself praising 343i for somehow managing, against all odds, to make Halo 4 "feel" like a halo game. That just seems silly. It's not like there's that much to it. Change the character designs for all of the characters and enemies a bit so they seem new, make some more glowy corridors, bam you've got a halo singleplayer campaign.

So, I decided it's pretty ridiculous that every review outlet and podcast has fallen over itself praising 343i for somehow managing, against all odds, to make Halo 4 "feel" like a halo game. That just seems silly. It's not like there's that much to it. Change the character designs for all of the characters and enemies a bit so they seem new, make some more glowy corridors, bam you've got a halo singleplayer campaign.

Were it so easy...

rakka

Sorry, let me rephrase. I didn't say that it was bad, I said that it doesn't always work. Here's a couple problems with punishing quitting:
1) Idling instead of quitting
2) Thin line between punishing actual quitters and people who have to quit for real-life issues
3) Doesn't ALWAYS stop quitters at the right time.

Some sort of penalty would be better than nothing. And of course those who have to quit every now and then for legit reasons won't be affected. I'm talking about a system where you'd have to quit say 15 games in 48 hours for any penalties to occur. and even then, it was only a 10 minute ban in reach, so if you had that many legit reasons to quit (although highly unlikely, and if you did, you probably have more important things to do than play halo), it's nothing huge. but it's better than nothing.

That's a problem that persists throughout multiplayer games. In fact, this could still happen in the previous Halo games: someone leaves after the match, and is replaced with someone just as horrible.

but see, you could complete the previous match without said next horrible player joining that very same game.

oh, and speaking of which, although not a major complaint of mine, just an observation: previously if a player and his guest was playing so bad that it was bringing my game down, i could provoke him to betray me once or twice, then boot him, then be awesome and win the game by a mile. now it's pretty much impossible to betray teammates (unless playing large maps with vehicles). i've even tried throwing 2 plasma, 2 frag, and 2 whatever you call em grenades at a teammate to test it out, nope, he didn't die lol, and this was with explosives perk. i guess the benefits outweigh the negatives in this case though, for most players at least.

This game is almost so damn good. It just needs a significant patch or two and then it's going to be amazing.

imo the only thing remotely damn good in this game are the visuals. and maybe swat. (again, that's just my opinion. don't hate)

i don't like how mp spartans glow now though. weird.

Top Bottom