• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

exYle

Some sort of penalty would be better than nothing. And of course those who have to quit every now and then for legit reasons won't be affected. I'm talking about a system where you'd have to quit say 15 games in 48 hours for any penalties to occur. and even then, it was only a 10 minute ban in reach, so if you had that many legit reasons to quit (although highly unlikely, and if you did, you probably have more important things to do than play halo), it's nothing huge. but it's better than nothing.

Fair enough.

but see, you could complete the previous match without said next horrible player joining that very same game.

oh, and speaking of which, although not a major complaint of mine, just an observation: previously if a player and his guest was playing so bad that it was bringing my game down, i could provoke him to betray me once or twice, then boot him, then be awesome and win the game by a mile. now it's pretty much impossible to betray teammates (unless playing large maps with vehicles). i've even tried throwing 2 plasma, 2 frag, and 2 whatever you call em grenades at a teammate to test it out, nope, he didn't die lol, and this was with explosives perk. i guess the benefits outweigh the negatives in this case though, for most players at least.

How long have you been playing Halo? Friendly fire has only ever been used for griefing in my experience.

oh, and speaking of which, although not a major complaint of mine, just an observation: previously if a player and his guest was playing so bad that it was bringing my game down, i could provoke him to betray me once or twice, then boot him, then be awesome and win the game by a mile.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Mission Reclaimer: Legendary Solo: Part 2
Facing waves of Knights and Crawlers towards the end of the level where Cortana had to bypass the door was challenging yet difficult.

No matter what weapon or AA using to defend the objective was irrelevant in each outcome. Changing my strategy to get to high ground and precisely take down each Knight. 1 shot Railgun and 5 to 10 shots using the DMR while shooting through a small opening within the Tree Bridge, altered the outcome.

Havok

I want more maps, the game has 13 maps in custom games, why did they choose 10 maps for war games only? :/
Because only one of those three Forge maps looks like it might be fun to play on, while the other two appear to continue the tradition of built-in Forge variants being mind-numbingly awful?

Oddball Complex...A dude from the other team grabbed the ball and went to the map hole.

He was in there for ~30 seconds and we killed him, my teammate promptly jumped out of the glitched area with the ball. We ended up winning.

Beating the exploiters: Feels good man.

rakka

Fair enough.

How long have you been playing Halo? Friendly fire has only ever been used for griefing in my experience.

Followed and played it since the very beginning. from jason jones n steve jobs reveal at macworld then gave FPS a go when it evolved into one for CE. played CE and CE PC, 2, 3, Reach, now 4. haven't played ODST or Wars. I don't play another other games outside of halo. (EXCEPT maybe team fortress 2 on PC)

When a player and their guest are betraying each other and committing suicide, messing up my game, I always fire a few shots at them to get them to either stop fucking around or simply betray me so I can play the game in peace. You wouldn't do the same in this situation?

And I stated it was an observation, not a complaint about not being able to betray in halo 4. (and as if there aren't already a shit ton of issues anyway) i don't mind either way, did no one read that at all?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Mission Reclaimer: Legendary Solo: Part 2
Facing waves of Knights and Crawlers towards the end of the level where Cortana had to bypass the door was challenging yet difficult.

No matter what weapon or AA using to defend the objective was irrelevant in each outcome. Changing my strategy to get to high ground and precisely take down each Knight. 1 shot Railgun and 5 to 10 shots using the DMR while shooting through a small opening within the Tree Bridge, altered the outcome.

My strategy was to run back and forth between the mounted turrets in an attempt to keep the best angle on the enemy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
what's the daily limit?
Not sure, but if you hit it and go to dashboard and change your timezone and reset your xbox it gets around it, I did it tonight because I was using double xp codes and hit the limit.

My strategy was to run back and forth between the mounted turrets in an attempt to keep the best angle on the enemy.
Something with the loading of the game where Promies spawned in the first wave removed a Turret which I placed behind me while using the left mounted turret.

When I do replay that objective, I'll try and use your strategy. Did you stick with using Hologram or Sentry Turret as your support?

Something with the loading of the game where Promies spawned in the first wave removed a Turret which I placed behind me while using the left mounted turret.

When I do replay that objective, I'll try and use your strategy. Did you stick with using Hologram or Sentry Turret as your support?

I swear I must've been playing a different game than some people because the enemies NEVER fell for the Hologram lol

I'd prefer a predictable mechanic (descoping) over one with a random outcome (I wonder what direction and how much my reticule will bounce in now).

I wonder how people would feel if the Stability mod allowed you to stay scoped in and the base trait was being unscoped when being shot.. I mean, that's how many thought it was originally, but maybe they should've just allowed the Snipers to have the flinch + "not being unscoped" instead of all the weapons. That would also help with BTB maps with the DMR (ie: Ragnarok camping with Camo/DMR till you get a Sniper).

I miss the assault gametype =(

so much good memories of Team Skirmish on Halo 2. I'll never forget that time where all of my teammates quit and I crouch-walked all the way to the enemies base (in Zanzibar) undetected and set off the bomb. I won the game and the other team was yelling at each other during the post-game, hahaha.

I'm far from any sort of great Halo player, but am I missing something with the suppressor or is it completely useless?
I am in love with the suppressor, I find it so satisfying.
I use it from time to time when I'm playing less skilled players.

It is extremely annoying to be fired upon from the suppressor, and it has a decent kill time.

But also...
It has an awesome sound, it lights up when fired, and the reload animation is amazing.

Suppresor + dexterity + mobility

TCRS

Banned
Yeah, I'm getting frustrated with the MP. It's just not as fun as in previous Halos. The maps are lame, too many vehicles, too many different weapons (I liked it when everyone started with the same weapon and then had to find other weapons on the map), missing modes (1-flag-CTF, bombs) etc.

Already time to go back to BF3.

Contrary to other posters, I've encountered very few laggy players/games.

I've seen a few players skip around, which is way annoying, but probably less than 10 in ~180 games.

Red

Just triggered the "2 for 160g" Legendary achievements, and actually I'm curious as to what was supposed to be such a big deal. Only thing that gave me a repeated problem on 8 was halfway through, the
bridge section with the scripted defense point at the corner
, no power weapon and facing a
Knight with a Binary rifle
that I eventually had no recourse but to risk running straight at to Suppressor into oblivion.
That was the worst. A straight hallway with no cover and a binary rifle knight at the end, with no access to long range weapons since the checkpoint. Just terrible.

Jinjo

That was the worst. A straight hallway with no cover and a binary rifle knight at the end, with no access to long range weapons since the checkpoint. Just terrible.

Don't you get an incinerator right before the portal when you warp to that area? I always save an incinerator round for that dude. Run straight up to him and blast him into oblivion before he even finishes spawning himself and that little annoying watcher of his.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This game is almost so damn good. It just needs a significant patch or two and then it's going to be amazing.

agreed game fucking rocks.

people whining about ordinance drops (non personal) puzzle me as well, saying it takes away the strategy. bollocks, I haven't bothered checking, but I think they are timed? You know there are going to be 3 scrambles per game. Plan your strategy around that.

Reminds me of people saying you can't win at mario kart because of blue shells. I fucking rock at mario kart. blueshells be damned I will beat noobs 90% of the time.

also, I forget the name of the level, but it's the one with quite a lot of corridors, some outdoor areas kind of space base-y, with a large exhaust fan thing that throws you across to the other side of the level. That level is great. I changed my general 'run around like a madman and kill everything' strategy to trying to creep a lot without showing on radar and using stealth a bit. ended up with a +11.

Flinch I haven't noticed at all (although, I don't snipe much or very well) I don't find it affects me with DMR much, although I don't use the scope a ton either.

there's almost too much content for me as well. I keep thinking I want to go XP whoring, but the multi is too addictive to even go near spartan ops.

Love this game.

also people asking to remove JIP are just mental. I hate hate hate in reach when you start 4v4 and immediately it's 4v3 guaranteed for the rest of the round and you're on losing.

Contrary to other posters, I've encountered very few laggy players/games.

I have 120Mb interenet (10mb upstream) and I've noticed a few games that suddenly go terribad. seems worse than reach occasionally, but it's not every game.

TheOddOne

Not possible man. I only played 6 or 7 wargames and I am just rank 18. After the battle, for some reason, the game just quit on me and it said DNF; did not finish.

do I still gain xp if that happened?
Nope, which is lame. Still no dinstinction as to when you quit the game or the game was forced to quit.

isual

Nope, which is lame. Still no dinstinction as to when you quit the game or the game was forced to quit.

Now that's fucked up game design. Contemporary example I can think of is CoD. You still gain the xp you get from the game. And I was doing real good too that last game, people with mics (I don't have one, they were commending me on being first place in the match; saying, who is this isual guy? Why does he have 20 kills?)

then poof. Disconnected and DNF.

blasted 343i.

rakka

Now that's fucked up game design. Contemporary example I can think of is CoD. You still gain the xp you get from the game. And I was doing real good too that last game, people with mics (I don't have one were saying, who is this isual guy? Why does he have 20 kills?)

then poof. Disconnected and DNF.

blasted 343i.

I'm pretty sure with reach you still were awarded your ingame credits + commendations even if the game ended early (but not the game completion credits that's all)

if what you said is true that's one more thing to add to the growing list of problems in 4.

isual

I'm pretty sure with reach you still were awarded your ingame credits + commendations even if the game ended early (but not the game completion credits that's all)

if what you said is true that's one more thing to add to the growing list of problems in 4.

Dude. Test it. I did it. Write down your current XP, play a match with all the skill you've got. If you got any commendations, write that down. Then, just before the match is over, quit.

You'll see that your xp is still at the amount it was before you joined game.

I have had some matches finish without a results screen or xp gain and I was not at the limit, I had to reset the game to fix it. it's a bug for sure.

JB1981

Had some really fun Infinity Slayer games last night. Competition gets stiffer as you rank up. Thruster is now my go-to AA.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dude. Test it. I did it. Write down your current XP, play a match with all the skill you've got. If you got any commendations, write that down. Then, just before the match is over, quit.

You'll see that your xp is still at the amount it was before you joined game.

why would you think you should get xp for this?!

I'm in the middle of mission 2 (Requiem) and it seems for Legendary they dumbed down the enemy AI: in Reach Elites (and not only them) were much more aggressive, now they're just bullet sponges.

Wizman23

Banned
Did all of you quit playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 for the day when you hit the XP Limit for those games? Whining about not getting XP in a HALO game makes me cry for what this industry has become.

Did all of you quit playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 for the day when you hit the XP Limit for those games? Whining about not getting XP in a HALO game makes me cry for what this industry has become.

Haha, I thought the same. I never even pay attention to the xp or any of that stuff. I just play and enjoy it. I also didn't understand people complaining about not getting XP from campaign.

I'm in the middle of mission 2 (Requiem) and it seems for Legendary they dumbed down the enemy AI: in Reach Elites (and not only them) were much more aggressive, now they're just bullet sponges.

Near the end of that level there is a point where if you stealth it well enough you can cause a trigger to not activate, just stand back and pop shot elites while they stand there like lemons, but they do move once their shield pops.

legendary AI feels weak sauce in this.

LosDaddie

Banned
Fuck.

-_-

If you haven't done Spartan Ops ep2 on Legendary yet, then I'll join you....tomorrow night. All 5 chapters. And let's get that cheevo, too.

I'm a Sol emblem guy too and here's what I've done:

Use the Cross Hair Foreground with the Lines set to the same color as the Buzz Saw Background and black for the middle dot. It's kinda wonky, but in game you can't tell.

How did you get that armor?

haikira

Chapter 5 on legendary is having me pull out my hair.

I've just fought off four wraiths in a row and a load of ghosts and i'm now on my fifth. I think it's the last section of the chaper, before you seperate from the
mammoth
. I'm seriously low on any weapons on the
mammoth
or anywhere else.

I honestly don't remember having to fight so many ghosts and wraiths back to back before. I was starting to think it's a scripting problem. Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm definitely not able to
board the ship on mountain yet

Any tips? I figured out stepping back on the
mammoth
checkpoints, if you have full health.

Chapter 5 on legendary is having me pull out my hair.

I've just fought off four wraiths in a row and a load of ghosts and i'm now on my fifth. I think it's the last section of the chaper, before you seperate from the
mammoth
. I'm seriously low on any weapons on the
mammoth
or anywhere else.

I honestly don't remember having to fight so many ghosts and wraiths back to back before. I was starting to think it's a scripting problem. Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm definitely not able to
board the ship on mountain yet

Any tips? I figured out stepping back on the
mammoth
checkpoints, if you have full health.

Not really a spoiler but putting it in spoilers just in case.
If you still have the rocket turret on the Mammoth I used it to get rid of the first group of Wraiths and ghosts. On Legendary they kept going back and forth behind two different rocks so it was just up to timing. After that there was rockets at the bottom of the Mammoth. I didn't have too much trouble until the last two. I got rid of all the enemies walking around while dodgeing the Wraith's shots. I then climbed up the side rocks by the last wraith and went into the shielded area and took care of those guys and got a fuel rod cannon. The shield plus the cannon made the last wraith easier. Hope this helps a little, I didn't have much trouble until that last one so I'm not sure what I can say for those. I usually took down the gunner with sniper then took out the wraith with rockets.

Hope that helps a little.

haikira

Not really a spoiler but putting it in spoilers just in case.
If you still have the rocket turret on the Mammoth I used it to get rid of the first group of Wraiths and ghosts. On Legendary they kept going back and forth behind two different rocks so it was just up to timing. After that there was rockets at the bottom of the Mammoth. I didn't have too much trouble until the last two. I got rid of all the enemies walking around while dodgeing the Wraith's shots. I then climbed up the side rocks by the last wraith and went into the shielded area and took care of those guys and got a fuel rod cannon. The shield plus the cannon made the last wraith easier. Hope this helps a little, I didn't have much trouble until that last one so I'm not sure what I can say for those. I usually took down the gunner with sniper then took out the wraith with rockets.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers for the advice.

I think I've just been a silly billy with supplies early on and I've made it harder for myself than it needs to be. Thanks to the checkpoint system though, at least i can just keep going on suicide runs until i do it right.

Top Bottom