• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Insaniac

so, does anyone think Dominion mode needs to be re thought out a bit? It just seems like every game, whoever takes two bases generally wins by a huge margins. Once those resupplies come in, its nigh impossible to retake a base simply because every opponent has some power weapon to defend.

tch

Finally unlocked the Verdant Visor! So much fun just splattering people left and right while they engage in their futile DMR-DMR exchanges.

so, does anyone think Dominion mode needs to be re thought out a bit? It just seems like every game, whoever takes two bases generally wins by a huge margins. Once those resupplies come in, its nigh impossible to retake a base simply because every opponent has some power weapon to defend.
Agreed, every game so far I have played has been over in the first couple minutes. The rest of the game is the team who controlled the first two first dominating the other team.

I just think the number to win needs greatly increased. Gametype seems like it should be a battle back and forth, instead it's over pretty quickly. I don't know how many times I have seen one team get all three bases and the other team fight back to take one only for it to end right after that.

Why have the ability to end the game early that way if it rarely comes into play? It would work better if it was a much longer game and team could rally back that way.

Mr Swine

Banned
No real bosses, but some great level design and enemy encounters. Final boss moment/scene may even piss you off how it is executed. See: QTE.

Despite this, this is my favorite campaign for Halo or any FPS ever. MP is amazing,albeit needs a patch for some things.

Ok :)

IMO it's the best Halo since Halo. Campaign has some areas that don't quite get explained but overall was a solid story that had a lot more fictional depth than any of the past games. Multiplayer needs some tweaks, but is a lot of fun to play.

No bosses really.

Thanks for answering the questions I had guys! I hope I can buy Halo 4 as a Xmas gift for my brother so I can play on his Xbox360

zlatko

Banned
Ok :)

Thanks for answering the questions I had guys! I hope I can buy Halo 4 as a Xmas gift for my brother so I can play on his Xbox360

If you buy it for him, Target on Black Friday weekend it seems has a good deal where if you get it you also get a $20.00 gift card. That way if you do like it, you could probably get the MSoft points to grab the season pass for the game and its future DLC. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Death Star trench run was one of my top moments of this generation. Had an old school StarFox feel, MGS4 death hallway cinematics, and dramatic weight.
I totally agree. I'm mildly put off with having such a campy moment in Halo (not that Halo is never campy, lol) , but it was awesome in and of itself.

I dunno, just played it 3 times, I was on the winnning side each time, only one of those did we rush out and get 2 captures to run the map, on the other two, we were down and we came back.

Might have been a shitty opposing teams though. If you time it right generally right after a resupply you can see the other team go rushing to take the third, so two guys feeling clever can sneak in, and take a base. I did that a couple of times.

Right now, I'm loving dominon, it's my favorite mix of close and long range combat, vehicular mayhem, and objective strategy. It gives you things to do if you can't slay well and sets up interesting combat scenarios.

daedalius

Dominion seems to have a few too many power weapons, but other than that I find it to be a very fun new mode; been my go-to playlist most of the time.

Also for gametypes like CTF, I'd much prefer if they went back to old style weapon spawning. It is just too much randomness with the current ordnance drops after initial spawns.

Me and a friend had absolutely no lag the other day in Spartan Ops; I was amazed. Sounds to me like its mostly hit or miss in terms of performance.

I was playing with friends and we've beaten all ten missions with no problems. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we all live within twenty miles of each other.
Same. I had one bad mission - like really horrible lag, but it turned out that one of our party just needed to reboot his router. Once he did it was just fine.

Check your connections and NAT settings, and if in doubt, get a direct wired connection to the xbox. Wireless routers can be flaky.

Esiquio

Beat the first level on Legendary a couple of nights ago and going through the second right now. Legendary on solo is really like a chess game in many ways, but the challenge makes it so worth it. Ever since I beat F-Zero GX on Very Hard I've felt like I can do anything and typically play games on the hardest setting.

ultron87

Is there a good place to read up on all the rules/features in Dominion? I mean the basic game type is obvious, you hold bases to get points, but it seems like there is a lot going on that is over my head.

Insaniac

Dominion seems to have a few too many power weapons, but other than that I find it to be a very fun new mode; been my go-to playlist most of the time.

Also for gametypes like CTF, I'd much prefer if they went back to old style weapon spawning. It is just too much randomness with the current ordnance drops after initial spawns.

Me and a friend had absolutely no lag the other day in Spartan Ops; I was amazed. Sounds to me like its mostly hit or miss in terms of performance.

anytime i felt like i've played against a competent team, its been extremely difficult to regain control on the map. Even I feel dirty when I defend point B on Exile wielding a SAW and rocket launcher, its just ridiculous how many power weapons start showing up

Is there a good place to read up on all the rules/features in Dominion? I mean the basic game type is obvious, you hold bases to get points, but it seems like there is a lot going on that is over my head.

Not sure if there is somewhere that gives a better idea, but I can try to help.

Basically there is three bases and you want to cap them. The quick way to win is capping all three bases, when that happens a waypoint goes over the opposing teams heads and they get overshields. If you kill them all before a base is won by them the game is over. Once the base is captured it then fortifies which adds the shields on doorways and adds the turrets and vehicles that can then be made. When that happens it also adds points, and those points keep coming every time the base resupplies. That team gets points and new weapon drops at that base. I believe the vehicle at that base can also be rebuilt at that time if applicable. Score to win is 400 points. I think you get 15 for each base for each resupply, but I could be off on the points.

Hope that helps. If not I am sure there is a more detailed write up somewhere on the wiki or something.

anytime i felt like i've played against a competent team, its been extremely difficult to regain control on the map. Even I feel dirty when I defend point B on Exile wielding a SAW and rocket launcher, its just ridiculous how many power weapons start showing up

You may just have a team who either isn't coming to the bases to pick the weapons up or just isn't bothering with them. They certainly pile up, but if both teams are going for them every time they aren't as abundant. I think each base drops two for each ressuply and they aren't always power weapons, I've seen BR and DMR drops quite a bit.

Anyone want to run some Legendary Spartan Ops or co-op campaign with me right now?

I need to finish chapter 5 of episode 2 in hopes of getting the weekly achievement to work. Would also run chapters 2-5 of episode 1 so I can get that achievement for completing ep 1 on legendary..

I am also working on a Legendary campaign run for the armor unlocks - still need to complete Forerunner, Infinity, Reclaimer, Composer and Midnight.

gamertag is The Lamonster

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just picked up the game yesterday.

Played several rounds of MP since then - loving it. I forgot how good MP is, my only problem is FUCK M$ for not allowing the 14-day trial to play online with guests. I'm going have to buy a month of gold later on, sad how the only reason I even pay for gold sometimes is to play halo.:lol

I'm even tempted to buy the season pass partoftheproblem.jpg.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So ia the Halo waypoint app the most useless shit ever or what? It just shows your Reach stats.

The app is really dumb right now.

You can see your Halo 4 stats but you have to click on Waypoint section. Its really slow (at least in IOS) because it simply loads the Waypoint website in a wrapper.

KSai

Really? It was piss easy on Legendary with 2-player co-op. Still an amazing part of the game. I'm dreading playing campaign Solo.

LQX

There are people who actually didntl like
the Death Star run?

Wow. That was fantastic.

It grew on me after repeatedly dying. Hate the fact the controls made it way harder than it should have been. They should have left the fps control scheme are what the other flight mission used.

zlatko

Banned
Just picked up the game yesterday.

Played several rounds of MP since then - loving it. I forgot how good MP is, my only problem is FUCK M$ for not allowing the 14-day trial to play online with guests. I'm going have to buy a month of gold later on, sad how the only reason I even pay for gold sometimes is to play halo.:lol

I'm even tempted to buy the season pass partoftheproblem.jpg.

How does season pass make you a part of the problem? This season pass is exactly what gamers wanted a pass to do---let you know exactly what you are getting before you drop the money. It's either you pay for the map packs 1 by 1 and pay more, or buy the pass and save some bucks for maps you'd buy anyway. Plus you earn 2 free helmet DLC's for shits and giggles.

Season passes are a good idea when executed correctly like it is here.

REV 09

Dominion write-up

Dominion Scoring is 10 for initial cap, 20 for Fortify, and 30 for Resupply (EACH). i think.

also, i don't think the bases regress. meaning that if Red team has point A up to Resupply mode and the Blue team captures point A, then it's still cycling through Resupply.

one more hint is to shoot or melee the shields to drop them. I used to run around the base looking for an open door.

Yea, they desperately need more options.

Really cool levels and encounters, and they would be much better if you could tweak them *limited lives cough cough*
Or just a nice medal bonus or multiplier for surviving the mission without dying once. That way they can still keep it casual. Might cause some players in matchmaking to leave the game after their first death though :/

Or hell, even a medal that gives no points, but goes towards an armor unlock for surviving X spartan ops missions on legendary (or solo heroic) without dying. Dunno.

Red

Don't you get an incinerator right before the portal when you warp to that area? I always save an incinerator round for that dude. Run straight up to him and blast him into oblivion before he even finishes spawning himself and that little annoying watcher of his.

I skipped the dude that dropped it because I was running low on ammo. So I ended up in a straight hallway, with like three bolt shot rounds and a half-empty suppressor, facing off against a binary rifle knight, a watcher, and a handful of crawlers. It was so fucking bad.

Definitely not the game's best moment.

Dominion Scoring is 10 for initial cap, 20 for Fortify, and 30 for Resupply (EACH). i think.

also, i don't think the bases regress. meaning that if Red team has point A up to Resupply mode and the Blue team captures point A, then it's still cycling through Resupply.

one more hint is to shoot or melee the shields to drop them. I used to run around the base looking for an open door.

Thanks. Thought I was off on a couple things. I can see why I made the mistake on base build up though. I usually get one and try to defend that one for the most part. Don't think I've actually seen them switch much first hand. :lol

exYle

went 25-3 on the Mantis on ragnarok. Only died one time until it spawned again!

What do you do with it? I find myself extremely frustrated in it. The chaingun overheats too quickly, the missiles don't travel fast enough, and I'm such a huge target that I feel like nothing more than something to intimidate the enemy, rather than actually rack up kills.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
What do you do with it? I find myself extremely frustrated in it. The chaingun overheats too quickly, the missiles don't travel fast enough, and I'm such a huge target that I feel like nothing more than something to intimidate the enemy, rather than actually rack up kills.

On a map like Ragnarok it's best to play a defensive support role near your base spawn. If you run in guns blazing to the other side you will get cut to pieces in a hurry.

Like the tanks, they can absolutely dominate when supported by infantry and skirmishing vehicles. Its the one-man-army mechs that get dropped quickly. Play conservatively, and only move when backed by your team which should try and keep the enemy off-balance and harried, keeping them from coordinating a decent ant-vehicle defense.

zlatko

Banned
Surf the mantis while the mantis is surfing the banshee.

tumblr_m1o64a5IAR1qcjokg.gif

I stopped playing the first level a bit to play some multiplayer. I'm not feeling the solo campaign just yet. I'm a bit upset with the needler and the plasma pistol. The plasma pistol takes awhile before you can start shooting once you pick it up and both seem to contain so few shots that you have to toss the weapons after a few shots. Am I missing something here?

Top Bottom