• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Have you played it solo?

It spawns you straight into insta-get-fucked situations over and over. Oh let's not forget how many Hunters it throws at you simultaneously combined with weapons disappearing on the map.

It's terrible and a lot of the missions drag out far too long and it becomes increasingly notable that the crutch for a lot of the missions are just wave after wave after wave.

I've only played the first two episodes solo because my friends never want to do Spops and matchmaking is only heroic. I do agree that it's clearly not designed for solo play but at least you can die and now have to revert to a checkpoint like in campaign!

jet1911

Probably because they throw a metric shit ton of ennemies during some missions.

Diuble XP tokens + Spartan Ops = lots of XP lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've only played the first two episodes solo because my friends never want to do Spops and matchmaking is only heroic. I do agree that it's clearly not designed for solo play but at least you can die and now have to revert to a checkpoint like in campaign!
That's a weird silver lining that still isn't an excuse for proper difficulty for me.

zlatko

Banned
Probably because they throw a metric shit ton of ennemies during some missions.

Diuble XP tokens + Spartan Ops = lots of XP lol

Spartan Ops couples together with DBL Exp? I thought it only took it in War Games.

I played the 5 missions of Spops for EP3 last night, but after reach chapter I never saw double exp being attached to it even though I had 3 games worth of it.

Sai-kun

Banned
Spartan Ops couples together with DBL Exp? I thought it only took it in War Games.

I played the 5 missions of Spops for EP3 last night, but after reach chapter I never saw double exp being attached to it even though I had 3 games worth of it.

Only if you play it through Matchmaking.

Yeah, really not happy with the custom games options. I really don't understand why 343 gutted the options. It just seems like a complete lack of attention. Not that they didn't look to improve it, but it seems like they didn't even put much thought into the options at all. Almost none of the new stuff can be changed and a lot of the old stuff not included. It just makes no sense.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really? That's a bad design choice through and through. I should get double exp solo or with buddies off my friendlist...not just from strangers.
It's not a bad design choice when it's not supposed to be working in Spartan Ops in the first place. Supposed to be War Games only.

Trey

Spops not being tuned for single play doesn't annoy me. I understand what it's tuned for, so if I choose to play it solo anyways, I know that there will be tedium associated with doing four times the work.

I probably wouldn't bother with the mode solo if it scaled. The only added difficulty the mode provides for me is holding out against an impressive force. Lives and scoring need to be added to really make the mode stick.

I don't like enemies being spawned right on top of you though. I never seem to know what's going on until it's too late.

Great Spartan Ops episode this week. Definitely the worst of the bunch so far for soloing, but some seriously ass kicking battles for a team.
The one on Complex is actually fantastic for solo Heroic play. I got lucky and had everyone back out right before the match started, and I only died twice. The AI was really challenging and they followed me all over the map. Luring a Hunter up to the roof where the Big Ass Gun was waiting for him, so good.

To continue on with my broken record talk, it's a huge shame that scoring and medals don't show up in SpOps.

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but just to make sure, the commendations for weapon kills and others that don't specify "Spartan" can be progressed in Spartan Ops as well as MP, correct?

Hey You

Yeah, really not happy with the custom games options. I really don't understand why 343 gutted the options. It just seems like a complete lack of attention. Not that they didn't look to improve it, but it seems like they didn't even put much thought into the options at all. Almost none of the new stuff can be changed and a lot of the old stuff not included. It just makes no sense.

Honestly I'm not surprised alot of stuff didn't make it. They probably didn't have the time.

LosDaddie

Banned
Only if you play it through Matchmaking.

Correct. I was getting 10,000 XP per match last night in SpOps. I wasn't complaining

QUESTION:

Do the Double XP codes keep stacking? I have about ~10 Double XP matches left from when I redeemed codes before, and I have a few new codes now. Should I redeem the codes now, or wait until I'm done with the old ones?

Honestly I'm not surprised alot of stuff didn't make it. They probably didn't have the time.

I understand this when it comes to things like old gametypes that they don't plan on using like VIP and juggernaut, things like that. But when it comes to things like including options to the gametypes that they have in play there really shouldn't be an excuse should there?

The bummer is I don't see this kind of stuff changing in any kind of title update or anytime soon if it could. Hopefully they hear the message for the next game though.

Hey You

Do the Double XP codes keep stacking? I have about ~10 Double XP matches left from when I redeemed codes before, and I have a few new codes now. Should I redeem the codes now, or wait until I'm done with the old ones?

They will stack.

I understand this when it comes to things like old gametypes that they don't plan on using like VIP and juggernaut, things like that. But when it comes to things like including options to the gametypes that they have in play there really shouldn't be an excuse should there?
Obviously most of us don't know what went on during the development. But if they had to build/code/whatever all the the gametypes, then it makes sense they would want to focus on core gametypes to make sure they worked properly for matchmaking. Only like 5(?) people in the studio have worked a Halo title before.

The bummer is I don't see this kind of stuff changing in any kind of title update or anytime soon if it could. Hopefully they hear the message for the next game though.

If they really care about the community and want to prove they can handle Halo on par or better than Bungie, they will atleast try to remedy alot of complaints.

clav

So why does Palmer dress up in a Spartan suit but never goes into action for Spartan Ops?

She just plays armchair general through a HUD.

"Crimson, go kill these things and get back to the Pelican."

zlatko

Banned
So why does Palmer dress up in a Spartan suit but never goes into action for Spartan Ops?

We know she did stuff in the campaign. Maybe in a later mission she'll drop in with Crimson.

Because LOOK AT HER BEAUTIFULLY RENDERED FACE THROUGH THAT TINY SCREEN.

Palmer did a grand total of zero useful things in both SpOps and the campaign, honestly don't know why she exists.

U2NUMB

There doesn't seem to be a join game option for campaign, so I'm assuming I'll have to invite someone if I want to play co-op campaign. Does Gaf host any co-op sessions?

They should be able to join you.. a friend of mine jumped into my game when I was sitting in the lobby. So maybe not in game but while in the lobby I did not have to send out an invite.

Obviously most of us don't know what went on during the development. But if they had to build/code/whatever all the the gametypes, then it makes sense they would want to focus on core gametypes to make sure they worked properly for matchmaking. Only like 5(?) people in the studio have worked a Halo title before.

Obviously I don't know what went on during development or anything like that. I'm just going off of what I would think would be done if they did have to completely build/code everything from the ground up. That's why I said I would understand not including the gametypes that they wouldn't use. But things like the option to not turn off sprint in custom games, or the ability to turn off the flag waypoints in CTF, and other things like this seem like nothing more than oversights. If they did have to build it from the ground up you would think these would be implemented anyways, it would just require adding in the option to toggle it in the options. Or at least I would think...

If they really care about the community and want to prove they can handle Halo on par or better than Bungie, they will atleast try to remedy alot of complaints.

I honestly hope so. I was mostly going off memory regarding something from 3. It's been a while but I thought I remembered something early on in Halo 3 that everyone wanted put into the game through an update and Bungie seemed like it was impossible to do through an update. Definitely hope I'm wrong on that though. To have a large custom game centered update down the road would be great and something nice to look forward to.

darthbob

Because LOOK AT HER BEAUTIFULLY RENDERED FACE THROUGH THAT TINY SCREEN.

Palmer did a grand total of zero useful things in both SpOps and the campaign, honestly don't know why she exists.

Had Johnson survived 3, he probably would have been in Palmer's place.

Being a Spartan-I, and with the loss of major risk of being a IV, I could have seen him leading the next generation of Spartans.

Lets get some extraction going in MM. Ready to try this out.

Having a blast with snipers/SWAT atm though.

I fear Extraction is the new Firefight Versus.. won't see the light of day aside from a couple times being in the MM rotation.

Why isn't it a Playlist already?

Homeboyd

I fear Extraction is the new Firefight Versus.. won't see the light of day aside from a couple times being in the MM rotation.

Why isn't it a Playlist already?
Not sure but they didn't plan on it being one at launch. Probably wanted to see how the original offerings fared before tossing it in. Plus it's something they can use to entice people to jump back in and try something new if they're not currently playing games in MM. Definitely looking forward to trying it. Haven't even played it in customs.

Too similar to Dominion? Maybe some tweaks coming first?

Nah, you capture the point, wait for it to Extract then a new location pops up around the map, promoting map movement in a successful way - unlike the random Global Ordnance lol

Not sure but they didn't plan on it being one at launch. Probably wanted to see how the original offerings fared before tossing it in. Plus it's something they can use to entice people to jump back in and try something new if they're not currently playing games in MM. Definitely looking forward to trying it. Haven't even played it in customs.

The bolded is what I figured, but if it doesn't become a permanent Playlist that's some BS as it's a unique gametype that isn't some variant of something else.

Lots of very aggressive enemies quick-dropped in very close proximity to the objectives (ie. where you have to be). Lots of heavily shielded fuel-rod cannon wielding elites in pairs or more (amid packs of other enemies), which make it extremely difficult to fully commit to taking one down solo without the others nailing you with their pin-point accurate cannons from the sides or rear. Certain enemy vehicles in numbers that allow them to easily focus fire on you and tear you to shreds in moments or get those instakill shots.

That kind of stuff. It keeps teams on their toes but makes things very unbalanced and frustrating for solo play. And that's not a problem I consider as solved purely through the mechanism of unlimited lives.

Nah, you capture the point, wait for it to Extract then a new location pops up around the map, promoting map movement in a successful way - unlike the random Global Ordnance lol.

Yeah, I don't mean it's exactly like it at all. Just think it may be a little bit like KotH mixed with Dominion. Certainly don't think it looks bad, but I wouldn't complain if the wanted to add something last minute to distinguish it a little more before it gets a playlist.

bj00rn_

Banned
Where is the music volume button? Can't find it, maybe my Xbox is broken or something.......... I kinda hoped that with Marty gone it would surely reappear... But no, fucking thing sucks :(

raindoc

Anybody in for some legendary campaign? did it solo, but i'm after that coop achievement (heroic would be fine too).
just send me a msg via XBL now (i'm on) or later - i don't have a mic though.

Izayoi

Banned
Snipers with no shotties? Who thought this would be a good idea?

Ya'll stay away from Palmer. She is awesome.
If by "awesome" you mean dull, unoriginal, and poorly written - sure. I really hope she's not going to HUGE CAMPAIGN SPOILER
replace Cortana
because I'd shoot myself.

Frankly, I hate all of the Spartan IVs (who talk anyway). A far cry from the badass S-II and S-IIIs, all business and no fucking around. The banter is obnoxious and distracting, and really detracts from what little story there is in SPOPs. Ugh.

Top Bottom