• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Izayoi

Banned
Nah, I've come to decide that I am living in a magical land where despite my NAT changing every other second and my bad wireless reception it is my god-given right to have host every single game or something. I am the Chosen One. :p
So YOU'RE the reason! Fuck!

Seriously though, 343 should've copy-pasted the host-finding algorithms from Bungie. Whatever they're using sucks - why are chronic quitters still getting host two weeks in, for example?

Ricker

I don't understand,I am in the Reclaimer mission,I think its 5,I'm at the part where the giant Truck needs for me to destroy 3 things covered up by a blue transparent dome...I have no vehicule to help me or anything,just a jetpack and that homing gun but that doesn't help there...they have all kinds of banshee's and what not surrounding the things I have to destroy....whats the trick here??

Grisby

No AA, no perks, no ordnance, no radar.
Yeah, thought so. I haven't tried any of that since 3 I believe. Just so much more of a fan of objective stuff.
I don't understand,I am in the Reclaimer mission,I think its 5,I'm at the part where the giant Truck needs for me to destroy 3 things covered up by a blue transparent dome...I have no vehicle to help me or anything,just a jet pack and that homing gun but that doesn't help there...they have all kinds of banshee's and what not surrounding the things I have to destroy....whats the trick here??
You can just walk into the blue shields and destroy the generators. No need to take down the shields themselves. There should be extra guns in the berth of the Mammoth if you need them.

nib95

Banned
Only a short while in, but holy crap is this game amazingly beautiful. This is the 360's visual send off and with it an instant dash to the top 5 best looking this entire gen. It sort of feels like a mix of past Halo's sprinkled with some Mass Effect and God of War art, coupled with some Killzone esque lighting and post processing/effects. Overall the art direction and attention to detail in aesthetic and atmosphere is immense.

Only thing I will say is that it doesn't feel quite as open as past Halo's, even in the open segments. I also think the mission objectives are a touch uninspired (go to that door, press that switch, hit that button etc). Though the general feel and pacing is nice, and certainly less manic or intense than some other shooters of late.

Weapons also sound more satisfying, and that new Tommy gun like futuristic machine gun is deathly satisfying to use.

Fuchsdh

So YOU'RE the reason! Fuck!

Seriously though, 343 should've copy-pasted the host-finding algorithms from Bungie. Whatever they're using sucks - why are chronic quitters still getting host two weeks in, for example?

I dunno. How do we know they *didn't* copy-paste them? It would make sense considering the base code is all Bungie's stuff, but maybe they had proprietary networking stuff/some of Reach's code wasn't integrated into Halo 4 in the same respects.

Only a short while in, but holy crap is this game amazingly beautiful. This is the 360's visual send off and with it an instant dash to the top 5 best looking this entire gen. It sort of feels like a mix of past Halo's sprinkled with some Mass Effect and God of War art, coupled with some Killzone esque lighting and post processing/effects. Overall the art direction and attention to detail in aesthetic and atmosphere is immense.

Only thing I will say is that it doesn't feel quite as open as past Halo's, even in the open segments. I also think the mission objectives are a touch uninspired (go to that door, press that switch, hit that button etc). Though the general feel and pacing is nice, and certainly less manic or intense than some other shooters of late.

Weapons also sound more satisfying, and that new Tommy gun like futuristic machine gun is deathly satisfying to use.

The key for me is the weapons all sound satisfying, but samey. Compare the Halo 3 plasma pistol to the Reach pistol, and the latter feels like it can be lethal (and it was, which was really nice.) Go to 4 and it's still meatier, but it sounds like a lot of clanking metal, just like the human weapons. The Fuel Rod Gun sounds like someone constantly dropping a manhole cover. The only really alien sounding weapon is the Beam Rifle, although I think like the FRG its more subtle sounds over previous incarnations make it more likely you'll take the shot and not know what hit you. The Promethean weapons are a little better, but to me they lack a bit of sonic cohesion--I really love the wet sound for the Bolt shot, but I think using more beam-based weaponry would have unified it with previous Halos and offered up more sandbox variety.

And I want to throttle whoever decided to make the Forerunner suddenly use physical switches. WHY NO HOLOGRAMS?

Ricker

Yeah, thought so. I haven't tried any of that since 3 I believe. Just so much more of a fan of objective stuff.

You can just walk into the blue shields and destroy the generators. No need to take down the shields themselves. There should be extra guns in the berth of the Mammoth if you need them.

Nah even if I do that,there is no way I can get 3...I should have a warthog at least in the Mammoth but I used it before so there is no way to do this right now,guess I will have to restart the whole mission.

matt360

A question about the specialization that gives you more experience per game (Pioneer maybe?) -- Does anyone know exactly or approximately how much more exp you'll get per match? Is it double?

Also, will Halo 4 tell you if your NAT settings are not optimal? I remember on Reach and maybe Halo 3 I often got little pop-up messages. I think I finally fixed the problem (everything was in Japanese so it was hard to tell) but I just wanted to be sure. So far no pop-up boxes, quick and seamless matchmaking, and no lag at all in War Games. However on Sp Ops I've experienced lag three or four times.

What the fuck did I just play in terms of campaign? Completely lackluster and uninspiring, and the only levels I absolutely loved was the mission where you drove around in this huge vehicle (kind of felt like Gears of War) and the second to last mission on the asteriod.

Everything else just did not feel like Halo to me. Where were the huge battles? Where was the always loved soundtrack? Reach is by far the best Halo campaign for me.

Raide

Finished Spartan Ops Episode 3 and it was awesome. Nice change of pace to be honest. Was great to have those epic battles in there. Now add scoring and waves, plus calling down personal Ordinance and off we go!

Fiction makes you momentarily suspend your belief in reality. I can play Halo and within that fictional world aliens are believable. I cannot, however, for the life of me believe that man's best warship is commanded by a meathead woman, a delusional cowardly old man, and a 14 year old boy. This makes no sense. Palmer and Del Rio are not believable characters. Nobody in their right mind would put these two in charge of anything.
I do understand Palmer but why Del Rio?

I'm really starting to like Multiplayer, but fuck the Boltshot, seriously. Who thought a spawn shotgun was a good idea? Especially when it often has an even crazier range than the Shotgun/Scattershot. It's just so random.

Ken

I'm really starting to like Multiplayer, but fuck the Boltshot, seriously. Who thought a spawn shotgun was a good idea? Especially when it often has an even crazier range than the Shotgun/Scattershot. It's just so random.

So..it's perfect for Halo 4.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Tried out the campaign a bit, and god damn, the graphics were not overhyped at all.

This game looks incredible. Makes me think Halo 3 came out too soon.

Walking into that light at the end of the tunnel was absolutely stunning.

Mindwipe

Fiction makes you momentarily suspend your belief in reality. I can play Halo and within that fictional world aliens are believable. I cannot, however, for the life of me believe that man's best warship is commanded by a meathead woman, a delusional cowardly old man, and a 14 year old boy. This makes no sense. Palmer and Del Rio are not believable characters. Nobody in their right mind would put these two in charge of anything.

Meh, bearing in mind that the Infinity is obstinately a ship of peace that was incredibly expensive to make (with the provisio that
it also seems to have a secret mission to find the other Halos and decommission them, therefore sticking it's dick in a hornets nest of alien tech
), I can see how they might well pick a man who survived a war on the basis that discression is the better part of valour as it's captain.

What I can't see is why
the UNSC would promote a man who's not even had any experience as captain to head their flagship overnight following a bad decision. I can see them promoting Laskey to have his own vessel. I can see them deciding Del Rio is not the man for the job. What I cannot see is them promoting Laskey by default when not even in a combat situation and while the vessel is parked next to the dock!

It would help if we got to see anything about Palmer that made her seem remotely competent or badass. Or indeed anything that made the Spartan IV's seem like something other than a particularly moany set of ODSTs with implants (and ODSTs are badass because they go into hell without implants and shields).

A question about the specialization that gives you more experience per game (Pioneer maybe?) -- Does anyone know exactly or approximately how much more exp you'll get per match? Is it double?

Also, will Halo 4 tell you if your NAT settings are not optimal? I remember on Reach and maybe Halo 3 I often got little pop-up messages. I think I finally fixed the problem (everything was in Japanese so it was hard to tell) but I just wanted to be sure. So far no pop-up boxes, quick and seamless matchmaking, and no lag at all in War Games. However on Sp Ops I've experienced lag three or four times.
Press start and go down to the third tier and there should be a network tab or something that tells you your NAT.

Meh, bearing in mind that the Infinity is obstinately a ship of peace that was incredibly expensive to make (with the provisio that
it also seems to have a secret mission to find the other Halos and decommission them, therefore sticking it's dick in a hornets nest of alien tech
), I can see how they might well pick a man who survived a war on the basis that discression is the better part of valour as it's captain.

What I can't see is why
the UNSC would promote a man who's not even had any experience as captain to head their flagship overnight following a bad decision. I can see them promoting Laskey to have his own vessel. I can see them deciding Del Rio is not the man for the job. What I cannot see is them promoting Laskey by default when not even in a combat situation and while the vessel is parked next to the dock!

It would help if we got to see anything about Palmer that made her seem remotely competent or badass. Or indeed anything that made the Spartan IV's seem like something other than a particularly moany set of ODSTs with implants (and ODSTs are badass because they go into hell without implants and shields).

Don't forget about the Spartan-III's! Being sent on suicide missions in small teams, mostly pairs that worked as one.

raindoc

2 things:
(1) on monday i completed one SpOps Ep2 chapter (i had already beaten in coop) on solo legendary and all Ep3 chapters on heroic coop - the next day the Ep2 chapter had been reset to "heroic" and one of the Ep3 chapters was shown to be still missing (again)...
(2) the "Deadeye" weekly challenge I completed yesterday is locked again, showing 0/70 progress.

anyone experiencing similar issues?

What I can't see is why

Parangosky.
Lasky always was her first choice - but Hood initially got his will and Del Rio was made captain.

Anyone want to do some co-op for campaign/SpOps on legendary? Add me at ContinuityHive if interested, don't have a mic btw

I will add you. Also looking for more campaign (legendary) partners, or Spartan Ops. Add Creamium85

done and done.

any word on when the specializations get released for the standard edition players between the 6th-20th?

i'm coming up on 50 and i wanna go right to stalker.

aries_71

I've been one-shotted with the boltshot at ranges and in situations that would make the shotgun pale in comparison. I'm amazed this this passed the testing phase.

IHaveIce

Banned
Crossposting from community:

I think I will be hosting some customs today in the evening, does anyone have some cool maps they want to share ? Elzar ?

Also everybody is gladly invited to join us. I think it will from 7 pm GMT +1 :)

US folks also invited but don't inow if the connection will be happy about it lol.

Shoot me just an invite or a friend request or a pm here on GAF. GT IHaveAnIce

WJD

Thusday war spoiler:
she wanted lasky as infinity's captain all along and preyed on a chance to make it happen. del rio never really had a chance.

Why is my dog your avatar?

2ww3k.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thusday war spoiler:
she wanted lasky as infinity's captain all along and preyed on a chance to make it happen. del rio never really had a chance.

Fair enough, I'll be reading it shortly anyway, loved the first one. Way better than the Forerunner books which I actively dislike (and will now have to read anyway...). I really like Parangosky, she's a great character. Really she's far far too much like Halsey, and that's why she hates her. Great stuff :)

Mr. Sam

People don't seem to grasp just how useful the plasma pistol is, particularly in Big Team when there's all manner of vehicles buzzing around. It seems that I was the only one using in the past few games.

People don't seem to grasp just how useful the plasma pistol is, particularly in Big Team when there's all manner of vehicles buzzing around. It seems that I was the only one using in the past few games.

It really should be the mandatory secondary weapon when going into BTB.

What's everyone's primary loadout?

Battle Rifle/DMR (depending on the map)
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Jetpack
Mobility
Dexterity

Depends on the map, I have 2 large map loadouts then a medium and a small map loadout right now.

The main one I use most the time though is:

DMR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenade
Thrust/Hologram(switch often)
Shielding
Ammo+

After finishing them up today, I find that there is no more incentive to do challenges at higher levels. The fact that, with doublexp, I can get more xp in two sparton ops matches than the monthly challenge is a problem.

Plasma pistol is awesome on bigger maps. You can take a mantis easily 1 on 1 with it.

yodandy

Question, I'm about to get the 17,000 XP "to the victors goes the spoils" monthly challenge in matchmaking, does dew double XP count towards this if applied during the win?

Lima

What's everyone's primary loadout?

Battle Rifle/DMR (depending on the map)
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Jetpack
Mobility
Dexterity

DMR/Battle Rifle
Plasma Pistol
Frag Grenades
Regen Field
Grenadier
Stability

Question, I'm about to get the 17,000 XP "to the victors goes the spoils" monthly challenge in matchmaking, does dew double XP count towards this if applied during the win?

No.

An-Det

Absolutely. I started running it yesterday (finally got around to purchasing it) and it was crazy good in every match so far. So much better than what I was running before (the 2 primary weapons), plus it frees that slot.

Top Bottom