• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is fast track only usable as pioneer, or if you complete it can you use it with another spec? If not, what's the point of pioneer? I'm 49 atm, not sure what I'm gonna pick.

Raxus

I hate the challenges 343 is putting up. CTF is awful enough but to win 9 times? I am better off playing a game that doesn't take forever to complete and gain more experience that way.

Fuchsdh

I'unno. The helmet is kind of ugly I guess

How beneficial is the Reduced Flinch? Does it remove flinch entirely? It's been asked a bunch of times but no one's really answered.

I imagine it's reduced. As in, not nonexistent, but advantage yours.

Izayoi

Banned
Active Camo has to go. Seriously, why the fuck is something that used to be a power up available for unlimited use the second you spawn? It's way more powerful than it was even in Reach. Unreal.

TUROK

I don't understand some of the weapon balance decisions. The Boltshot takes like 16 shots to kill someone, yet the charge shot, which can be charged in an instant, will decimate anyone who is 5 feet in front of you.

I was running around with the Boltshot earlier, just blasting people away with the charged shot... I honestly felt like I was cheating. When I tried to use it in single shot mode, though, I couldn't get any kills.

Oh yeah, this game needs to have the option to only go into matches that haven't started yet.

Honestly, it really really shows that this is 343's first Halo game. They did a lot of things right, but it also makes me miss Bungie immensely.

TUROK

Active Camo has to go. Seriously, why the fuck is something that used to be a power up available for unlimited use the second you spawn? It's way more powerful than it was even in Reach. Unreal.
Active Camo is unlimited now? No way...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The events in this video, did they occur millenia before the birth of humanity ? And Prometheans = Forerunners ?

And was this animated short on halo waypoint or something? How did it get on YouTube ?
There are terminals scattered throughout levels in Halo 4. One per level outside of the first. Each one unlocks one of these in Halo Waypoint to view. Someone just captured them using a capture card I guess.

Prometheans were
first Forerunners who willingly gave their lives to join Didact's army of digital soldiers initially. But when his armies were not enough to withstand the force of the Flood, and Humans began destroying Forerunner planets that were infected to try and get rid of the Flood, the Didact thought they were simply going after the Forerunners instead of trying to contain and run from the infection. So he got angry and decided to start using Humans to create Prometheans instead of Forerunners. The ones you fight are primarily Humans turned Prometheans.

And yes most of the events in the video take place
100 000 years ago, and the Humanity there is Ancient Humanity.

wwm0nkey

The events in this video, did they occur millenia before the birth of humanity ? And Prometheans = Forerunners ?

And was this animated short on halo waypoint or something? How did it get on YouTube ?

The videos can be veiwed on Waypoint after you get the terminals but they are hidden under layers of menus. Also the events were 100,000 years ago

Isn't it actually wetwork and operator?

Anyway, wetwork offers a better perk. You don't have to use the Armour they give you.

0216.shaq.gif
Wetwork newbs.

Vehicles Master Race

JB1981

Yeah he is
the leader of the entire ancient Forerunner military.

I thought in the Halo fiction the Forerunners were just humans who died out a long time ago due to the Flood. I did not know they were an Alien civilization. That kind of annoys me

Izayoi

Banned
I still haven't used Active Camo in Halo 4, so that's why I was asking. No need to get all defensive.
Apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic. Yes, it's unlimited use. Longer duration than Reach (and faster recharge) on top of the invisibility effect being much better. Basically it's fucking ridiculous.

Do I have to play campaign or spec ops to get a specialization?
Anything that gives you XP. It's tied to your overall rank. Once you hit 50 you get to choose a specialization.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought in the Halo fiction the Forerunners were just humans who died out a long time ago due to the Flood. I did not know they were an Alien civilization. That kind of annoys me
They kind of alluded to that a lot on the first 3 games but the expanded universe changed the direction of things along the way.

I think it's fine now that they've fleshed out the Forerunner/Humanity relationship and its a lot deeper now but I'm not quite sure if the bait and switch was intentional or not.

JB1981

They kind of alluded to that a lot on the first 3 games but the expanded universe changed the direction of things along the way.

I think it's fine now that they've fleshed out the Forerunner/Humanity relationship and its a lot deeper now but I'm not quite sure if the bait and switch was intentional or not.

I remember the Terminals in Halo 3 being very emotionally affecting. IRRC, there were these transmission sent back and forth by two lovers and you see their desperation in their last days of life.

exYle

I remember the Terminals in Halo 3 being very emotionally affecting. IRRC, there were these transmission sent back and forth by two lovers and you see their desperation in their last days of life.

Those are the
Didact
and the
Librarian
, both of whom appear in this game.

soldat7

I think the Didact is the male half of that relationship. Well, maybe not the Halo 4 Didact...there's two, I think....sheesh. This one certainly had no love for the Librarian...it's all very strange.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they never patch the sprint grenades. That stuff is fun as hell.

Striker

I'd recommend Sniper Alley, episode 1, chapter 2 for that. Its the one I have the most fun soloing anyway.

And yeah, fuel rod enemies can be OK, but in pairs or more you'll just end up dying a ton trying to take them down.
Fuel Rod enemies aren't hard, they're just annoying. That's primarily what gets me killed - shot after shot, it just feels so artificial. Not a pleasurable experience. The whole mode to me seems like a chore with what type of enemies they throw out. It's about as fun as fighting Heretic Elites in Reach's Firefight.

I agree with most, if not all, of what Overdoziz pointed out as well. I'm finding more and more ways of dislike with the game as I play it more often. With more players getting specific unlocks, i.e. camo, it becomes a game of crouch behind this wall with the Active Camo AA and wait for the enemy with your Mauler secondary weapon. Add that on top of random drops in ordnances, it's just an unpredictable set of pieces that makes the game little tedious. The new gametypes aren't really my thing, either, and the map-gametype combos just aren't doing much. I don't do Flood or FFA, and their new ideas seem to fall flat in some way or another. Slayer is okay in spurts but I cannot do that for so long as I find it too boring. Slayer Pro would be fine if it had a little more going for it. There's no area to control or weapons. I suppose a lot of how much more I play hinges on their future playlist updates, patches which they need to patch an awful lot, and map packs. Right now I simply don't have the urge to turn on my Xbox and be excited to play.

So I picked up the game yesterday after not having played a halo game since halo 3 and I wasn't having the greatest time playing. My favorite modes were all gone and I wasn't a huge fan of the loadout idea and the ordnances, but honestly since I've been playing more and more and getting used to the maps, I've definitely had a much better time. I feel that once I get used to everything it has enough of the classic halo feel to keep me coming for a long time.

Deadly

Goddamnit I play Spartan Ops and I'm right at the end except the last enemy IS IN THE GROUND. Yesterday, I spawned inside a fucking column.

Izayoi

Banned
Goddamnit I play Spartan Ops and I'm right at the end except the last enemy IS IN THE GROUND. Yesterday, I spawned inside a fucking column.
I was fighting a bunch of really tiny enemies earlier. It would've been hilarious if it wasn't so infuriating trying to finish the level.

Might as well cross-post this here since we have two threads for god knows what reason:

The biggest issue I have with Halo 4 is that it's not as predictable as previous Halo games, including Reach to a lesser extent. Halo’s multiplayer to me has always been about its simplicity. There are two teams who all being on an even playing field who are placed on a map and whoever plays the best during a match will win. The end result is only influenced by what the players do during a game, nothing else.

Halo Reach changed this slightly. You could influence the match by choosing what you spawn with. At first Bungie acted like this was going to be a big deal in Reach but in the end only Invasion really used to a great extent. Outside of that playlist most loadouts only differed in what AA you would spawn with. Even this, though, caused some annoyances on my part. You couldn’t predict what type of AA chose at spawn which lead to frustrating moments like people suddenly going into Armor Lock, going invisible out of nowhere or getting up to places with the Jetpack which you couldn’t practically predict. Luckily these annoyances were relatively rare as most people chose for sprint most of the time so in most cases you knew what you were up against. Then as time went on more and more AAs were removed from certain playlists making them less and less of an issue. Sure, the AAs themselves were still very obnoxious at times, but that’s another issue entirely. In terms of predictability Reach wasn’t all that bad (lol bloom).

Halo 4, however, takes all of this a step further: it allows you to completely determine what kinds of weapons, AAs and even perks you spawn with. You could be going up against someone with an automatic rifled, precision rifle, a mini-shotgun, a plasma pistol, a headshot capable secondary, most of the time you don’t find out until you’re already in a battle with him. Then take into account the AAs and perks and it turns the game into an inconsistent mess. Just like in Reach people can go invisible, they can dash away, they can be (sort of) invincible, all at the press of a button, without warning. But even there was a clear visual indication of what kind of AA or perk someone has it wouldn’t be enough. By the time you find this out you could be screwed over by it already.

Then there’s the global ordnance drops. 343 said previously that it’s implemented to prevent people from camping at certain areas on the map waiting for a power weapon to spawn, but I doubt this is their real reasoning. It most likely has more to do with bad and inexperienced players not knowing where and when everything spawns and them getting killed numerous times by players who did put effort into getting to know all this. To prevent this they shrank the gap between the two groups and made it so it’s practically impossible to consistently predict where weapons spawn. I feel like global ordnance ruins the flow of matches. Where in previous Halo games you could set up goals mid-match of getting a certain weapon, or prevent the other team from getting one, that’s gone now. People mostly just run around the map looking for people to kill and every now and then move towards a waypoint that appeared on the map somewhere. There’s much less direction to a match than previously and it makes everything feel a bit sloppy and uncontrolled.

Personal ordnance drops are probably a worse offender than the global system, though. It’s only in a few playlist but I still think it’s worth mentioning because I really don’t want 343 to take it a step further with it. Next thing you know the personal ordnance system has “evolved” its way into all playlist as a basic feature in Halo 5. The problem with the system, again, is that it’s not predictable. Both in terms of predicting when someone else will get it and what kind of weapon that person will get. Numerous times in (Big Team) Infinity Slayer I would get killed by a power weapon which I could not have seen coming in any sort of practical way. Someone could let a Sniper or Binary Rifle drop in and kill you before you even knew that kind of weapon was on the map. It results in many frustrating moments throughout every match. Overall I’ve been doing quite well in Halo 4 but even just dying a few times because of things that I couldn’t possible predict can ruin a match for. I can go 20 in 5 and feel annoyed because a guy pulled a Incineration Cannon out of his ass when I ran around the corner. How can I anticipate something like that?

Every one of these aspects cause the game to be unfairly unpredictable in my eyes and results in me feeling screwed over by the game mechanic and systems, rather than being outplayed by the player that killed me. It’s the same reason why I stopped playing Call of Duty. At a certain point during MW2 I got tired of getting taken down by predator missiles off spawn and sold it.

With Halo 4 I just don’t have the patience anymore. 343 is clearly taking the franchise into a direction that I heavily dislike and I don’t see any patches, title updates or matchmaking updates fixing the biggest issues I have with the game. Even if so it’ll probably only available in a single playlist which simply isn’t enough for me. I want a game that isn’t completely designed around things that I don’t like.

And let’s not forget all the issues that the game has aside from this big issue with predictability.
  • Flinch is a annoying more than anything, especially considering that you have to zoom in more often because of the size of the maps. Sure, descoping was annoying at times but I liked the dynamic of the mechanic, especially during battles at medium range. I also don’t see how flinching gives people a better chance to fight back if you get pinged in BTB. You still get ripped to shreds before you have a proper chance to fight back.
  • Active Camo. It simply doesn’t work in any way as an Armor Ability. 343 had the perfect opportunity to turn it into a power-up again via the personal ordnance system but didn’t for some reason.
  • Jetpack. Aside from it breaking the layout of most maps, it simply isn’t fun fighting against them. The movement of jetpackers simply isn’t predictable enough in my opinion. When you run around a corner you have your reticle at head level because that’s where most people will be. With the jetpack that positions people can be at increases exponentially making it very frustrating to fight against.
  • Promethean Vision. Sure, it doesn’t have such an immediate effect as some of the other AAs, but it can make the game slow down to a crawl, more so than the radar ever did. It also shrinks the awareness skillgap since people can see where people are, what direction they’re facing and heading, and even what kind of weapon they’re wielding.
  • The Boltshot. It’s a shotgun that you can spawn with. I used it all the time and I’ll admit that I enjoyed doing so, but it’s pretty broken.
  • The campaign. I’m not going to do a big write-up about this but I’ll just say that is was pretty underwhelming. The storytelling was particularly poorly done, gameplay was dull and the levels felt restricted compared to Halo 3. Why, after two games, we still haven’t gone back to the scale of that game I will never understand.
  • Forge. In several ways a step back from Reach’s variant. Overall, the objects are less useful than in Reach, precision placement is gone, and Impact, Ravine and Erosion are less flexible than Forge World ever was. Even the better lighting introduces several issues like it making enclosed maps look bland and it sometimes glitching out when the amount of objects on a map gets too high.
  • Spartan Ops. I hoped this mode would give us challenging, more specific types of co-op missions it gave us something entirely different. A mode where you mindlessly kill hordes of Covenant and Prometheans (both of which aren’t that fun to fight), with an infinite amount of lives, reused and seemingly random environments, a lackluster story (during the missions), no customization and no theater is what we got instead.

I could go on and on about the numerous big issues that Halo 4 has (Which I did) but I’ll keep it to this for now.

So yeah, I kept playing Reach for a long time (Mainly because zero bloom, Forge map testing, and Team Objective pooping) and you won’t find me saying that it’s a better game than Halo 4, but at its core Halo Reach is more Halo to me than Halo 4 is. Reach was annoying enough at times, but Halo 4 takes this a step further and I simply can’t enjoy it anymore. I’ll admit: Reach was mostly fun because trueskill didn’t work properly as a result of the low population number of the playlists that I played in. I’ve played a shitload of Team Objective and Squad Slayer simply because whenever we went into those playlist as a team, 90% of the time we would go incredibly positive and absolutely destroy the other team. MLG (0% bloom, no sprint) was the only competitively viable playlist in Reach and it was the only playlist that was fun to play in against good players, but sadly not many people on my friendslist played it regularly so I stuck to beating up bad players.

Trueskill in Halo 4 does seems to work better, (I definitely got better opposition towards the end) but ironically enough this actually made the game less fun for me. Both Reach (MLG aside) and Halo 4 are not competitively sound in my eyes so actually playing it against good players isn’t fun at all. This is because I feel like I get killed often not because the other player is that great, but because some aspects of the game are flawed. Bloom in Reach is a good example of this. Sometimes I would get killed because my opponents just spammed his DMR and got a lucky headshot, just like I’ve done to my enemies numerous times. It feels unfair.

I’m tired of hoping for that matchmaking update, that TU, that next game that will make most of what I want in Halo a reality. Halo has lost most of the aspects that appealed to me the most and what made the franchise stand out for me so I bid it farewell, for the time being at least.

I completely respect your opinions about HALO 4 and I appreciate the attention to detail in backing up your annoyances and dislikes of HALO 4 but I sincerely hope 343 does not move in this direction at all for the next HALO game.

Izayoi

Banned
I completely respect your opinions about HALO 4 and I appreciate the attention to detail in backing up your annoyances and dislikes of HALO 4 but I sincerely hope 343 does not move in this direction at all for the next HALO game.
His list, at least, is pretty accurate. Active Camo, Jet Pack, and Promethean Vision should not be armor abilities, and the Boltshot should not be a weapon that you spawn with. Forge is a mess, and Spartan Ops is unplayable online.

A real problem I have with Ordnance is it being reward for people doing well. It's not balanced properly at all, and at times boils down to "You're already decimating the other team? Great! Here's a Binary Rifle and an Incineration Cannon!" I'm not saying you should reward people who are doing poorly, but as it stands right now, it's merely insult to injury. Going on a Killing Frenzy and then being rewarded with a Sniper Rifle makes me feel dirty. :|

Striker

A real problem I have with Ordnance is it being reward for people doing well. It's not balanced properly at all, and at times boils down to "You're already decimating the other team? Great! Here's a Binary Rifle and an Incineration Cannon!" I'm not saying you should reward people who are doing poorly, but as it stands right now, it's merely insult to injury. Going on a Killing Frenzy and then being rewarded with a Sniper Rifle makes me feel dirty. :|
It boils down to players sitting in one spot or general area and being rewarded, often with a one-hit kill rifle or a heavy explosive cannon like the Incineration Cannon; it makes no sense. Fighting over a weapon that usually spawned in the center of the map is gone. This little scenario is even more drastic in BTB Slayer. What is this? Not to mention all the vehicles they litter around the maps, and spawning with your own 3x zoom rifle and an EMP machine (which goes up to 150% with the Ammo upgrade) as a secondary. It's all a joke.

It boils down to players sitting in one spot or general area and being rewarded, often with a one-hit kill rifle or a heavy explosive cannon like the Incineration Cannon; it makes no sense. Fighting over a weapon that usually spawned in the center of the map is gone. This little scenario is even more drastic in BTB Slayer. What is this? Not to mention all the vehicles they litter around the maps, and spawning with your own 3x zoom rifle and an EMP machine (which goes up to 150% with the Ammo upgrade) as a secondary. It's all a joke.

Definitely, its completely decimated the fun out of the BTB playlist for me, a playlist that is possibly my second most played in each Halo game, behind objective.

It's funny, I've been getting my BTB fix from dominion, that playlist has its fair share of problems, the biggest being the (surprise, surprise) overwhelming amount of power weapons, but when two team go at it, and it's not filled with many PWs, it can be great fun.

I've seen vehicles last whole games in dominion as well!

raindoc

noob-tubers?

oops. sorry, i meant the noob-combo. some horrible games yesterday. it seemed like everyone was running around with a PP+combo weapon or one of the unlimited power weapons. i like the gun game in H4, it feels good to fire DMRs, BRs & co, but in an annoying amount of games i played yesterday power weapons were dominant/more common than actual shoot.outs.

Also shows that there is no desire on 343's part to balance the mode for solo play.

...trying to get into a Mantis again after being killed is ridiculous. a pair of hunters and god knows how many elites had positioned themselves between and around the nearest mech and me and the game just kept respawning me in the same place.
it was a 100% pure not-fun-at-all experience and really disappointing. i really like Halo 4 but Spartan Ops solo fails miserably. i understand that the focus is set on the co-op experience, but the solo part really, really sucks. it is incredibly bad, what were they thinking etc. etc.
i don't think that 343I will "fix" this anytime soon, because it's not just a problem of level design but also of the AI, which isn't aggressive enough and doesn't react to the player, but commits random acts of stupidity if not camping. there's no enemy tactic, hence their insane numbers.
but here's hope to that 343I will at least add a search/start public game option in which players that feel like it get to choose difficulty setting and chapter without having to hope for 3 more friends to get online. (i also miss XBL co-op campaign)

So after the two initial specializations, are the other options open at level 70?

it has been mentioned that 343I/MS sends out codes for additional specializations to all players who have been active in the last weeks.

I've played a few hours of multiplayer and the first 2 levels of single player.

Single player: Seems like a rehash of Halo 1 so far. First level is Pillar of Autumn, 2nd is Halo. And since Cortana is rampant Chief just goes "well we'll fix that." And now it's a "save the princess" plot. Looks like the new enemies are about to be introduced so we'll see.

Multiplayer: Halo has basically become Call of Duty. Millions of loadouts, tons of stupid unlockables. One of the best things about Halo was how simple it was and how everyone starts with the crap assault rifle in multiplayer. They buffed the assault rifle and now all the basic weapons in the game can kill you pretty well. They also made all the levels a lot bigger. So it feels like Call of duty where you die in 1 or 2 shots now. Close combat is reduced, far away combat and campers have increased. You have kill streaks now too. Most of the new weapons really aren't that interesting either. I haven't noticed what the difference is between the DMR and that 3 shot rifle. Grenades and melee seem to be weakened as well. Or maybe it's just because of the larger levels. Instead of a nice balance between weapons, grenades and melee, it's mostly weapons now, like call of duty.

Anyway my impressions are kind of unorganized but I just feel overall that the multiplayer is very generic and disappointing.

I've played a few hours of multiplayer and the first 2 levels of single player.

Single player: Seems like a rehash of Halo 1 so far. First level is Pillar of Autumn, 2nd is Halo. And since Cortana is rampant Chief just goes "well we'll fix that." And now it's a "save the princess" plot. Looks like the new enemies are about to be introduced so we'll see.

Multiplayer: Halo has basically become Call of Duty. Millions of loadouts, tons of stupid unlockables. One of the best things about Halo was how simple it was and how everyone starts with the crap assault rifle in multiplayer. They buffed the assault rifle and now all the basic weapons in the game can kill you pretty well. They also made all the levels a lot bigger. So it feels like Call of duty where you die in 1 or 2 shots now. Close combat is reduced, far away combat and campers have increased. You have kill streaks now too. Most of the new weapons really aren't that interesting either. I haven't noticed what the difference is between the DMR and that 3 shot rifle. Grenades and melee seem to be weakened as well. Or maybe it's just because of the larger levels. Instead of a nice balance between weapons, grenades and melee, it's mostly weapons now, like call of duty.

Anyway my impressions are kind of unorganized but I just feel overall that the multiplayer is very generic and disappointing.
I feel the same about the larger maps. Try some Slayer Pro or Regicide. Smaller maps, more focus on skills instead of just luck.

mokeyjoe

Bought this on impulse. I've always been pretty ambivalent towards the Halo franchise, I played a lot of split screen Halo back in the day but the rest of the game left me cold.

I'm really enjoying this, though. It's the first Halo i've actually finished the campaign in SP n and I'm actually having fun with the online stuff too, which is pretty unheard of for me.

Definitely my favourite in the series so far (not played Reach or ODST though). I guess whatever they've changed works well for me.

Top Bottom