• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

What's a good playlist to knock out the Weekly challenges?

SWAT all the way. Got the one for 17 precision kills in a match first game and it obviously is the best candidate for 70 headshot kills. If you have a hard time in SWAT, maybe Big Team? You could sit back with rifles or better yet, a sniper and pick people off while your team basically tanks for you I imagine.

Also, why is Teamkilling On/Off so goddamn inconsistent? That's the problem with this game, it's inconsistent.

It's consistent, the only ways to betray are destroying vehicles allies are in and by splash damage from explosions caused by your weapon.

Grisby

That Spartan Ops episode with the mantises is a lot of fun. Just all tearing shit up with your mech bros.

I felt like this scene from the matrix the first time doing that episode. Nothing as grand as the movie mind you but having 4 mantis's firing all of their guns in the sky was awesome.

Azar

Did 343 completely remove the functionality for round-based multiplayer from Halo 4? It's obviously not in any of the current matchmaking playlists, and I know the game currently doesn't support 1-Flag CTF.

I was hoping that might make it into the game with a patch, but thinking about it it seems as though offense/defense or round-based gameplay has been removed wholesale. It's sad to see some of Halo's customization and most fun gametypes disappear in the name of a more streamlined multiplayer.

Izayoi

Banned
Is the Boltshot going to kill that guy from ten feet away? What about right next to me? Who knows, maybe!
Is team killing on in this playlist? Who knows, maybe!
Am I going to get an awful Ordnance Drop? Who knows, maybe!
Will I be placed on the team with a disadvantage in CTF because of an asymmetrical map? Who knows, maybe!
Are we going to get a host who's a chronic quitter or has a terrible connection? Who knows, maybe!

Will I ever stop bitching? Not until 343 actually acts like they want to fix something!

It's consistent, the only ways to betray are destroying vehicles allies are in and by splash damage from explosions caused by your weapon.
Or by getting splattered. Even team killing itself is inconsistent!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Did 343 completely remove the functionality for round-based multiplayer from Halo 4? It's obviously not in any of the current matchmaking playlists, and I know the game currently doesn't support 1-Flag CTF.

I was hoping that might make it into the game with a patch, but thinking about it it seems as though offense/defense or round-based gameplay has been removed wholesale. It's sad to see some of Halo's customization and most fun gametypes disappear in the name of a more streamlined multiplayer.

Flood is round based, so no.

eso76

Seriously, the checkpoints in this game. I make it through an awful section with nothing but crawlers, get killed by a fucking swarm of them, and I get to sit through the entire section all over again. Excellent game design 343.

Maybe it just didn't trigger.
Seems random at times, as in, some times doing something or walking past an invisible mark will trigger a checkpoint, other times performing the exact same action won't.
That's what it's always been like in Halo, though.

PooBone

This was easilty the best Spartan ops mission so far. That mode needs to be all about interesting, unique combat encounters... not waves and waves and waves of crawlers and watchers.

Seriously, the checkpoints in this game. I make it through an awful section with nothing but crawlers, get killed by a fucking swarm of them, and I get to sit through the entire section all over again. Excellent game design 343.

Nowhere near as bad as the ENTIRE campaign being "Okay, activate these three things to activate that to activate this, to move on."

Need to get across that bridge? Destroy or activate these switches.

Need to destroy that barrier? Disable all these generators.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Like, jesus fucking christ, that got old.

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah, vehicles of teammates can kill you. Baffling really.
I take it you're being sarcastic. Why would you have team killing sort of on? I would prefer it on for everything, but that's because it's always been like that. If they're going to turn it "off" they should turn everything off. Just so you can't ride on vehicles? "Let's take the only fun thing that turning off team killing could accomplish, and remove that too! Worst of both worlds!"

TheOddOne

I take it you're being sarcastic. Why would you have team killing sort of on? I would prefer it on for everything, but that's because it's always been like that. If they're going to turn it "off" they should turn everything off. Just so you can't ride on vehicles? "Let's take the only fun thing that turning off team killing could accomplish, and remove that too! Worst of both worlds!"
I wasn't even being sarcastic, I totally agree with you. I just am really baffled why the did not turn that off.

exYle

I'd recommend Sniper Alley, episode 1, chapter 2 for that. Its the one I have the most fun soloing anyway.

And yeah, fuel rod enemies can be OK, but in pairs or more you'll just end up dying a ton trying to take them down.

I ended up completing the mission, but it took a lot of patience and a couple hijacked Banshees.

FyreWulff

Yeah, vehicles of teammates can kill you. Baffling really.

If vehicles didn't kill teammates you would have had people launching teammates across Valhalla with their ghosts/hogs in the first week. Like you could do in Halo 2 if you turned your handicap all the way up.

Jinjo

Teamkilling how it is now is perfect for grievers. A few days ago I got to the Mantis first on Meltdown. Only to have 2 fuckers on my team act like little crybabies and proceeded to blast me with nades and their guns cause they didn't get to use it. It's total bullshit that I couldn't return the favour and blast their ass to oblivion with my mantis.

Raiden

Banned
Good god i am so bored with the maps already. My favorite mode is just regular Slayer. But always on the same damn maps.

Not even some Halo 1-3 classics in there. Can we expect free map packs or anything like that? I refuse to pay extra for some fucking variety in maps.

zlatko

Banned
Good god i am so bored with the maps already. My favorite mode is just regular Slayer. But always on the same damn maps.

Not even some Halo 1-3 classics in there. Can we expect free map packs or anything like that? I refuse to pay extra for some fucking variety in maps.

Then you are shit outta luck unless they toss in some Forge made maps like they did in Reach, which is a safe bet.

Season Pass is worth the investment imo, as all of the new maps based off the concept art shown look fantastic!

Okay, that was a weird game. Regicide on Haven. First off, everyone was using DMRs, and I actually had to switch out my BR for one to start getting any kills. I still think either the BR needs a buff or the DMR needs a nerf, because that was ridiculous.

And then there was this one guy who kept getting extremely lucky, heck, he one-shotted me once when my shields were up and I still dunno how. Very weird.

And when the game dumps me in a match where the king is leading by 115 and the majority are running around with a boltshot secondary, I will quit. Fuck honor, if I'm not having fun, I'm quitting from now on.

This was easilty the best Spartan ops mission so far. That mode needs to be all about interesting, unique combat encounters... not waves and waves and waves of crawlers and watchers.

So far Spartan Ops was merely an example of some of the worst encounter design I've seen in games. It's dreadfull, uninteresting and with the exception of one or two chapters just downright bad. This episode really picked up the pace and I finally had fun with it.

Okay, that was a weird game. Regicide on Haven. First off, everyone was using DMRs, and I actually had to switch out my BR for one to start getting any kills. I still think either the BR needs a buff or the DMR needs a nerf, because that was ridiculous.

And then there was this one guy who kept getting extremely lucky, heck, he one-shotted me once when my shields were up and I still dunno how. Very weird.

I had tons of issues with damage inconsistencies. ARs killing with the first burst, DRMs one shotting me with full shields, surviving 4 shotgun hits...

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think just a teammate damage reduction for vehicles would be sufficient. So many of the maps have really narrow vehicle pathways, and the slightest bump from a ghost will pop a teammate's shields. I want to drive a vehicle without inadvertently crippling my entire team because they stepped in front of me.

eso76

I'm enjoying multiplayer for what it is.
Granted, it's not my idea of Halo, but my idea of Halo is CE, played in system link with my brother versus 2 other friends, or 3 vs 3 Max, human weapons only, no radar and no shield. That's perfection. Maps were simple, ugly but readable and after sinking an impossible amount of hours in the game (prolly around 500) we all knew them by heart and every match was pure strategy.
I feel like the games have introduced too many variables since then, which hurts strategy but make the game more accessible.
I also feel ppl don't really like talking through xbl anymore, or to ppl they just met through matchmaking anyway, and without that (planning, discussing strategies etc) a huge part of the fun is lost.

Izayoi

Banned
And when the game dumps me in a match where the king is leading by 115 and the majority are running around with a boltshot secondary, I will quit. Fuck honor, if I'm not having fun, I'm quitting from now on.
All of those auto-wins count as quits, and quitting doesn't affect your host record, so why not?

All of those auto-wins count as quits, and quitting doesn't affect your host record, so why not?

They do? Lol343.

Oh well, I did manage to win my previous game even after amazingly stinking it up.

EDIT: And then the game dumps me into a game where a dude's winning by 250. Lol343.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god the storm rifle is so useless - I love it's design but it's half the gun the AR is.
I been going with it to try get commendation. I'm the king of assists now. I can't kill anyone with it though

IHaveIce

Banned
Also here a headsup regarding MLG gametypes

Chris Puckett ‏@MLGPuckett
Tongiht on the Halo Hour, I'll be playing Halo 4 Custom games created by the awesome people at @ForgeCafe. Send "Puckett" a message for inv

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
What's everyone's primary loadout?
Slayer/BTB/All-Around
DMR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Thrusters
Grenadier
Explosives

Objective (large maps)
DMR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Thrusters
Mobility
Explosives

Objective (small maps)
AR
Magnum
Plasma Grenades
Thrusters
Mobility
Dexterity

I'm still experimenting with the AAs. Thrusters aren't that great, but they're more helpful to me than most of the other options. Regeneration Field is alright as well. I'm still not really sold on Explosives — I thought the difference would be more noticeable, but it hasn't been. Mobility is a must for objective gametypes, but otherwise, I try to control the amount of sprinting I do in Slayer as it just gets me killed too much.

So many of the other perks are disappointing (although it's good that none are overpowered). Shielding sucks when you realize how it works — it takes just as long for you to start to recover, but the bar just fills slightly faster. I just didn't see it making a difference. Same with Resupply when you consider that so many people chuck all their grenades before dying anyway. And Dexterity, while getting a lot of use from me at first, doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference. Depending on your loadout, you have a number of options if you're getting fired upon while reloading anyway — it's not like in CoD where you're dead instantly.

Fuchsdh

Slayer/BTB/All-Around
DMR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Thrusters
Grenadier
Explosives

Objective (large maps)
DMR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Thrusters
Mobility
Explosives

Objective (small maps)
AR
Magnum
Plasma Grenades
Thrusters
Mobility
Dexterity

I'm still experimenting with the AAs. Thrusters aren't that great, but they're more helpful to me than most of the other options. Regeneration Field is alright as well. I'm still not really sold on Explosives — I thought the difference would be more noticeable, but it hasn't been. Mobility is a must for objective gametypes, but otherwise, I try to control the amount of sprinting I do in Slayer as it just gets me killed too much.

So many of the other perks are disappointing (although it's good that none are overpowered). Shielding sucks when you realize how it works — it takes just as long for you to start to recover, but the bar just fills slightly faster. I just didn't see it making a difference. Same with Resupply when you consider that so many people chuck all their grenades before dying anyway. And Dexterity, while getting a lot of use from me at first, doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference. Depending on your loadout, you have a number of options if you're getting fired upon while reloading anyway — it's not like in CoD where you're dead instantly.
All true, which is why I'm happier. It's a slight edge in some situations, and if it were anything more it would wreck my enjoyment.

GhaleonEB

Cross-posting your 'I Quit' post?

Really?

Do you need group therapy?

Be nice. While there is overlap between the two threads a lot of folks read one and not the other. He took a long time to write up why he's moved on from Halo after Halo 4, nothing wrong with posting it in both.

By the time I get around to mine, we'll just have one thread, but I'd have at least linked it in both. Thanks for the write up, Overdoziz. It's been fun.

Well, I like the game. Its got some issues, but every Halo game does.. hell, every game does. But this has been the most fresh and fun experience I have had since Halo 2. Im hooked. I do hope 343 addresses some issues, but I do like what they have built. At this point I just kinda wish there were more maps to play on.. hopefully the DLC helps with that, and I hope they steer away from the large "small" maps. More like Haven please. We really need more nice, symmetrical maps that can play well with objective.

Btw, can we get 1-flag and assault back? Thanks in advance. Also, Team Classic is a must. I won't frequent it, but not having that as an option is a foolish way to write off long term fans. I like Halo 4's new features (expect for the god awful global ordinance.. it just doesn't work with balance, map design or flow..personal does work though IMO), but it needs some more classic and more player control options. 343, we know this is your franchise now, but don't assume that the fans do not always know what they want. Often times there is a lot of truth in their complaints, and it is not always a case of them writing off new features just because they are new.

J2d

I love coming back to Halo after pretty much ignoring Reach. That said the mp makes me rage quit far too often, shit like ctf on xxxx for example, I get spawn killed far too often when one side spawn in the open. And that shitty cloak thing, its impossible to see them 500m away with their cunty sniper rifle bah. I hate how almost every map is so big and only ten maps (atleast two of them are old) are a joke, rant over.

Fuchsdh

Isn't it actually wetwork and operator?

Anyway, wetwork offers a better perk. You don't have to use the Armour they give you.

You don't have to use any of the armor. The abilities are a slot in your loadout. I'll prolly swap shielding for dexterity when I get it, and since I've got the LE I'll go for that sweet Carbine skin and save Fast Track for my next reenlistment.

Be nice. While there is overlap between the two threads a lot of folks read one and not the other. He took a long time to write up why he's moved on from Halo after Halo 4, nothing wrong with posting it in both.

By the time I get around to mine, we'll just have one thread, but I'd have at least linked it in both. Thanks for the write up, Overdoziz. It's been fun.

I didn't realize there was another Halo |OT| until today. *The more you know*

So the specializations work like prestige, where you have to finish one completely before you can switch to another?

Yes.

Top Bottom