• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

nib95

Banned
It should be in the main menu (not Infinity). Resume Campaign or something similar to that. It also should be in the Campaign sub-menu.

Weird, I don't get the option. Googled it. Apparently it's a glitch a few others have had too. Luckily I was able to manually select the last mission I did and carry on.

Mr. Sam

Plasma pistol is awesome on bigger maps. You can take a mantis easily 1 on 1 with it.

Funny, I managed to get a mantis earlier with it. I couldn't get behind it in time to plant a grenade initially, so I 'hid' under his legs and then leapt on his back the first opportunity. Would have probably been dead if he'd had the presence of mind to hit melee.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's everyone's primary loadout?

Battle Rifle/DMR (depending on the map)
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Jetpack
Mobility
Dexterity
Don't have a primary. I use my topmost one as "Variable" since I change it so often. Hell I could use more but my most used (for KotH) is "CQC":

Suppressor (or other Automatic weapon, but this recently)
Boltshot
Pulse Grenade
Regeneration Field
Mobility
Dexterity

General load out "Blitz":
DMR
Magnum
Frag Grenades
Thruster Pack
Mobility
Dexterity

Izayoi

Banned
DMR/BR
Boltshot (I'm a piece of shit, I'm sorry.)
Frag Grenades
Jet Pack
Mobility
Dexterity

DMR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Grenades
Active Camo (I'm sorry again.)
Mobility
Dexterity

Damn, this game can still kick my ass on Heroic. It's definitely tougher than the previous ones. I tried closing the hangar doors on Mission 8 more quickly but got fucking mowed down every single time.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Pretty much the only thing that sucks about camo is when that player has the sniper.

It is glaringly OP at that point but if they just have a DMR it isn't too hard to take them down even if they get the first shot off because most of them still stay crouched and barely move.

Not like you have to try to hit a moving target.

Fuchsdh

Damn, this game can still kick my ass on Heroic. It's definitely tougher than the previous ones. I tried closing the hangar doors on Mission 8 more quickly but got fucking mowed down every single time.
That was definitely one of my favorite encounters. I like having a balance between a race against time and actually playing it safe to push you out of your comfort zone. Compare it to clearing the hangars on Cairo Station and it's a whole world of difference.

Edit: I've got three different load outs depending on range. Midrange is
Carbine
Boltshot
Frags
Shielding
Dexterity
Prom Vision

For CQC I choose AR and human pistol, BtB DMR and plasma. Dont see the need for firepower considering I can get the kill I need to grt a ranged weapon pretty easily.

What's everyone's primary loadout?
My main right now is called One Man Army (BTB Slayer and Spartan Ops)

DMR
Assault Rifle
Plasma Grenades
Hologram
Firepower
Ammo

Also have a similar build with Awareness instead, and another with Promethean Vision considering the uptick in camo users lately. The only problem with my OMA loadout is sometimes I do feel that lack of a plasma pistol.

That was definitely one of my favorite encounters. I like having a balance between a race against time and actually playing it safe to push you out of your comfort zone. Compare it to clearing the hangars on Cairo Station and it's a whole world of difference.

Yeah, but getting gunned down by Covenant got old quick. Evading and jumping into oblivion got old even quicker. :lol I just didn't feel like sitting through nineteen waves of enemies, but ended up taking about as much time, anyway.

Speaking of that mission, though: there's some cool stuff hidden in that level. In the room where you fight the Hunters there's a lot of Forerunner artifacts including
Gamma Halo's activation index
. Pretty sweet.

raindoc

fuck CTF today, nothing but campers in there for the challenge. camo + power weapon + sitting in a corner. fuck this!
yes, I'm mad. thanks for listening.

edit: and what is it with all the noob-tubers today? *explodes*

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
My main loadout is as follows:

DMR
Plasma Pistol
Frags
Prom vision
Shielding
Dexterity

My other most used loadout is called Cleanup works great on exile, can sit in banshee spawn and pretty much hold that position all game.

DMR
AR
Frags
Prom vision
Firepower
Explosives

JB1981

I feel like Dexterity is a waste even when carrying two primaries. Also thinking Thruster is better than Hardlight for getting out of a jam.

TheOddOne

Active Camo (I'm sorry again.)
tumblr_lmd0da7Wu21qzbkx0o1_400.gif

Sorry, but I have an irrational hatred for Camo users.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I feel like Dexterity is a waste even when carrying two primaries. Also thinking Thruster is better than Hardlight for getting out of a jam.

Depends on the map, if playing Haven a well placed grenade and Dexterity can go a long way to get getting an over kill.

On larger BTB maps I can see it being kinda useless, rare you have several enemies directly in front of you.

Archpath1

mine is

Small to Medium

DMR
Boltshot
Frag
Regen Field
Resupply
Dexterity

Large

DMR
Plasma Pistol
Frag
Hologram
Resupply or AAE
Dexterity or Ammo

Raide

Maybe Camo should make an annoying noise when used, just to let people know a camper is around. Maybe the sound of Guilty Spark humming.

I disagree. I keep get told how much tougher it was and Tashi even recommended playing on Normal (lol what a BK), but I found Heroic to be very easy. Only died a few times.

Spartan Ops on the other hand, has some insanely nasty encounters.
Robb Stark[IMG]

Sorry, but I have an irrational hatred for Camo users.[/QUOTE]

No, it's a rational hatred.

mhi

Am I the only experiencing problems with the challenge for 70 headshots ? It only counted the first game and then stopped.

Overdoziz

Banned
Might as well cross-post this here since we have two threads for god knows what reason:
Not sure how you can play Reach consistently for 2 years and give up on a better game in a week.
The biggest issue I have with Halo 4 is that it's not as predictable as previous Halo games, including Reach to a lesser extent. Halo’s multiplayer to me has always been about its simplicity. There are two teams who all being on an even playing field who are placed on a map and whoever plays the best during a match will win. The end result is only influenced by what the players do during a game, nothing else.

Halo Reach changed this slightly. You could influence the match by choosing what you spawn with. At first Bungie acted like this was going to be a big deal in Reach but in the end only Invasion really used to a great extent. Outside of that playlist most loadouts only differed in what AA you would spawn with. Even this, though, caused some annoyances on my part. You couldn’t predict what type of AA chose at spawn which lead to frustrating moments like people suddenly going into Armor Lock, going invisible out of nowhere or getting up to places with the Jetpack which you couldn’t practically predict. Luckily these annoyances were relatively rare as most people chose for sprint most of the time so in most cases you knew what you were up against. Then as time went on more and more AAs were removed from certain playlists making them less and less of an issue. Sure, the AAs themselves were still very obnoxious at times, but that’s another issue entirely. In terms of predictability Reach wasn’t all that bad (lol bloom).

Halo 4, however, takes all of this a step further: it allows you to completely determine what kinds of weapons, AAs and even perks you spawn with. You could be going up against someone with an automatic rifled, precision rifle, a mini-shotgun, a plasma pistol, a headshot capable secondary, most of the time you don’t find out until you’re already in a battle with him. Then take into account the AAs and perks and it turns the game into an inconsistent mess. Just like in Reach people can go invisible, they can dash away, they can be (sort of) invincible, all at the press of a button, without warning. But even there was a clear visual indication of what kind of AA or perk someone has it wouldn’t be enough. By the time you find this out you could be screwed over by it already.

Then there’s the global ordnance drops. 343 said previously that it’s implemented to prevent people from camping at certain areas on the map waiting for a power weapon to spawn, but I doubt this is their real reasoning. It most likely has more to do with bad and inexperienced players not knowing where and when everything spawns and them getting killed numerous times by players who did put effort into getting to know all this. To prevent this they shrank the gap between the two groups and made it so it’s practically impossible to consistently predict where weapons spawn. I feel like global ordnance ruins the flow of matches. Where in previous Halo games you could set up goals mid-match of getting a certain weapon, or prevent the other team from getting one, that’s gone now. People mostly just run around the map looking for people to kill and every now and then move towards a waypoint that appeared on the map somewhere. There’s much less direction to a match than previously and it makes everything feel a bit sloppy and uncontrolled.

Personal ordnance drops are probably a worse offender than the global system, though. It’s only in a few playlist but I still think it’s worth mentioning because I really don’t want 343 to take it a step further with it. Next thing you know the personal ordnance system has “evolved” its way into all playlist as a basic feature in Halo 5. The problem with the system, again, is that it’s not predictable. Both in terms of predicting when someone else will get it and what kind of weapon that person will get. Numerous times in (Big Team) Infinity Slayer I would get killed by a power weapon which I could not have seen coming in any sort of practical way. Someone could let a Sniper or Binary Rifle drop in and kill you before you even knew that kind of weapon was on the map. It results in many frustrating moments throughout every match. Overall I’ve been doing quite well in Halo 4 but even just dying a few times because of things that I couldn’t possible predict can ruin a match for. I can go 20 in 5 and feel annoyed because a guy pulled a Incineration Cannon out of his ass when I ran around the corner. How can I anticipate something like that?

Every one of these aspects cause the game to be unfairly unpredictable in my eyes and results in me feeling screwed over by the game mechanic and systems, rather than being outplayed by the player that killed me. It’s the same reason why I stopped playing Call of Duty. At a certain point during MW2 I got tired of getting taken down by predator missiles off spawn and sold it.

With Halo 4 I just don’t have the patience anymore. 343 is clearly taking the franchise into a direction that I heavily dislike and I don’t see any patches, title updates or matchmaking updates fixing the biggest issues I have with the game. Even if so it’ll probably only available in a single playlist which simply isn’t enough for me. I want a game that isn’t completely designed around things that I don’t like.

And let’s not forget all the issues that the game has aside from this big issue with predictability.
  • Flinch is a annoying more than anything, especially considering that you have to zoom in more often because of the size of the maps. Sure, descoping was annoying at times but I liked the dynamic of the mechanic, especially during battles at medium range. I also don’t see how flinching gives people a better chance to fight back if you get pinged in BTB. You still get ripped to shreds before you have a proper chance to fight back.
  • Active Camo. It simply doesn’t work in any way as an Armor Ability. 343 had the perfect opportunity to turn it into a power-up again via the personal ordnance system but didn’t for some reason.
  • Jetpack. Aside from it breaking the layout of most maps, it simply isn’t fun fighting against them. The movement of jetpackers simply isn’t predictable enough in my opinion. When you run around a corner you have your reticle at head level because that’s where most people will be. With the jetpack that positions people can be at increases exponentially making it very frustrating to fight against.
  • Promethean Vision. Sure, it doesn’t have such an immediate effect as some of the other AAs, but it can make the game slow down to a crawl, more so than the radar ever did. It also shrinks the awareness skillgap since people can see where people are, what direction they’re facing and heading, and even what kind of weapon they’re wielding.
  • The Boltshot. It’s a shotgun that you can spawn with. I used it all the time and I’ll admit that I enjoyed doing so, but it’s pretty broken.
  • The campaign. I’m not going to do a big write-up about this but I’ll just say that is was pretty underwhelming. The storytelling was particularly poorly done, gameplay was dull and the levels felt restricted compared to Halo 3. Why, after two games, we still haven’t gone back to the scale of that game I will never understand.
  • Forge. In several ways a step back from Reach’s variant. Overall, the objects are less useful than in Reach, precision placement is gone, and Impact, Ravine and Erosion are less flexible than Forge World ever was. Even the better lighting introduces several issues like it making enclosed maps look bland and it sometimes glitching out when the amount of objects on a map gets too high.
  • Spartan Ops. I hoped this mode would give us challenging, more specific types of co-op missions it gave us something entirely different. A mode where you mindlessly kill hordes of Covenant and Prometheans (both of which aren’t that fun to fight), with an infinite amount of lives, reused and seemingly random environments, a lackluster story (during the missions), no customization and no theater is what we got instead.

I could go on and on about the numerous big issues that Halo 4 has (Which I did) but I’ll keep it to this for now.

So yeah, I kept playing Reach for a long time (Mainly because zero bloom, Forge map testing, and Team Objective pooping) and you won’t find me saying that it’s a better game than Halo 4, but at its core Halo Reach is more Halo to me than Halo 4 is. Reach was annoying enough at times, but Halo 4 takes this a step further and I simply can’t enjoy it anymore. I’ll admit: Reach was mostly fun because trueskill didn’t work properly as a result of the low population number of the playlists that I played in. I’ve played a shitload of Team Objective and Squad Slayer simply because whenever we went into those playlist as a team, 90% of the time we would go incredibly positive and absolutely destroy the other team. MLG (0% bloom, no sprint) was the only competitively viable playlist in Reach and it was the only playlist that was fun to play in against good players, but sadly not many people on my friendslist played it regularly so I stuck to beating up bad players.

Trueskill in Halo 4 does seems to work better, (I definitely got better opposition towards the end) but ironically enough this actually made the game less fun for me. Both Reach (MLG aside) and Halo 4 are not competitively sound in my eyes so actually playing it against good players isn’t fun at all. This is because I feel like I get killed often not because the other player is that great, but because some aspects of the game are flawed. Bloom in Reach is a good example of this. Sometimes I would get killed because my opponents just spammed his DMR and got a lucky headshot, just like I’ve done to my enemies numerous times. It feels unfair.

I’m tired of hoping for that matchmaking update, that TU, that next game that will make most of what I want in Halo a reality. Halo has lost most of the aspects that appealed to me the most and what made the franchise stand out for me so I bid it farewell, for the time being at least.

Overdoziz

Banned
Cross-posting your 'I Quit' post?

Really?

Do you need group therapy?
It's a post explaining why I dislike aspects of Halo 4. This is a Halo 4 thread. Deal with it.
And I spend at least 20 minutes writing it. I want my money's worth god dammit.

How about you just respond to the contents of a post for once and add to the discussion.

Currently I'm rotating between three builds.

All around

DMR
AR
Jetpack
Firepower
Grenade power boost

Ragnorak/Dominion opening setup

DMR
PP
Thruster pack
Mobility
Dexterity

Assault/Flagsetup

DMR
Boltshot
PV
resupply
Grenades

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
surprised so many of you havent dropped dexterity for ammo. its sooo worth it when you get power weapons :D

Seriously, the checkpoints in this game. I make it through an awful section with nothing but crawlers, get killed by a fucking swarm of them, and I get to sit through the entire section all over again. Excellent game design 343.

That Spartan Ops episode with the mantises is a lot of fun. Just all tearing shit up with your mech bros.
Also shows that there is no desire on 343's part to balance the mode for solo play.

surprised so many of you havent dropped dexterity for ammo. its sooo worth it when you get power weapons :D
Ammo is incredible, and helps out a lot. It hurts when I don't have it in my loadout, but I feel the same about Awareness, at least on larger maps or BTB.

daedalius

It's a post explaining why I dislike aspects of Halo 4. This is a Halo 4 thread. Deal with it.

How about you just respond to the contents of a post for once and add to the discussion.

I mean really, a response I could give for a lot of your issues is 'play customs'.

But you don't want to do that, even though I've played some pretty fun custom games with you and MLG settings, on your maps.

I don't particularly like flinch either, but I dislike descoping more.
Boltshot is dumb. Needs a nerf.
I don't really like ordnance, or personal ordnance (solution: play customs).
AA problems, yea I don't like camo or PV either (customs with no AAs)
Trueskill is better, nearly 80% of kills still seem to be precision weapons in my games.

-I've posted about some of these things too.

I would say I'd enjoy playing customs with you, but you've already traded in the game.

Might as well cross-post this here since we have two threads for god knows what reason:
You make a lot of good points, but i guess for my part I don't see those as problems, just differences.

So when you head up a ramp into the enemy base those guys *could* have SAWs, or maybe not. One of them could have a rocket, or not. This just informs how you tackle these objectives - expecting the worst but still playing to your strengths. And with team communication you'll still hear callouts of players with different weapons on the field and where you can find them.

So yes, its less predictable, but when you know that going into things, you can use that to change up the way you play.

Is it classic Halo? No. But then again this is 343's baby, and they had a mandate to change things up.

Last bit - from reading a ton of HaloGAF over the years, if 343 or Bungie listened to the ultra competitive crowd we'd have a very minimalist game that would only appeal to that one small audience. Halo 4 is the first in the series to light a fire on my friends list and we're all having a great time with it, warts and all. And its stuff like personal ordnance, join in progress and loadouts that have made the difference, along with the incredible audio/visual work of course.

Props to a well reasoned argument for leaving. I disagree with some points and agree with others. If the made a MLG playlist with

Weapons on map
No Loadouts
No Ordnance
3 second spawn delay
Stability for everyone
No Radar

Would you return?

exYle

Also shows that there is no desire on 343's part to balance the mode for solo play.

RIGHT?!
I finished the mission with the Mantises and immediately thought, "I'm gonna get the Crimson Alone achievement on this mission." Huge mistake. After the Banshees come, every enemy that spawns after has a Fuel Rod or is a vehicle. I'd get slaughtered for just trying to enter the damn mech.

FyreWulff

Wow, Active Camo absolutely ruins CTF. Remove that shit.

Unfortunately under the new global customization system, it pretty much requires them to remove camo from everywhere or force standard loadouts in the playlist, removing everyone's customization.

They lost a bit of flexibility with the global loadout system.

RIGHT?!
I finished the mission with the Mantises and immediately thought, "I'm gonna get the Crimson Alone achievement on this mission." Huge mistake. After the Banshees come, every enemy that spawns after has a Fuel Rod or is a vehicle. I'd get slaughtered for just trying to enter the damn mech.
I'd recommend Sniper Alley, episode 1, chapter 2 for that. Its the one I have the most fun soloing anyway.

And yeah, fuel rod enemies can be OK, but in pairs or more you'll just end up dying a ton trying to take them down.

Karl2177

Unfortunately under the new global customization system, it pretty much requires them to remove camo from everywhere or force standard loadouts in the playlist, removing everyone's customization.

They lost a bit of flexibility with the global loadout system.

Yet there are systems out there that retain the ability to choose your loadout while limiting options. Modern Warfare 3's custom game settings allow you to block certain weapons from loadouts or block certain weapon categories as well. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw the settings that they had for it. The major downside is that everything was locked and you had to progress offline to unlock it.

Top Bottom