• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Insaniac

I am PISSED OFF. I got my Monthly challenge OF 117 matchmaking wins last night after some double EXP spartan ops games, and some matchmaking games, and the game GAVE ME THE 17343 EXPERIENCE, DIDN'T TELL ME I WAS AT THE EXP LIMIT, and then TOOK IT AWAY. WTF 343 I worked a goddamn month for that challenge and you won't give it to me? Daily limit be damned I want my experience! Who do I bitch to about this?!

darthbob

I am PISSED OFF. I got my Monthly challenge OF 117 matchmaking wins last night after some double EXP spartan ops games, and some matchmaking games, and the game GAVE ME THE 17343 EXPERIENCE, DIDN'T TELL ME I WAS AT THE EXP LIMIT, and then TOOK IT AWAY. WTF 343 I worked a goddamn month for that challenge and you won't give it to me? Daily limit be damned I want my experience! Who do I bitch to about this?!

No one, because nothing will be done about it.

/reality

Yeah, friendly fire on vehicles needs to stop...

I don't know how many times now my team mates have killed me because I was the first one to the tank or Mantis...unbelievable...

I also love now people are grabbing the Mongoose on Exile to get to the tank first. Lets just waste vehicles to get to other vehicles! Nothing tops someone grabbing the Banshee on Valhalla to fly to the Mantis...wow...

exYle

Yeah, friendly fire on vehicles needs to stop...

I don't know how many times now my team mates have killed me because I was the first one to the tank or Mantis...unbelievable...

I also love now people are grabbing the Mongoose on Exile to get to the tank first. Lets just waste vehicles to get to other vehicles! Nothing tops someone grabbing the Banshee on Valhalla to fly to the Mantis...wow...

What else is the Mongoose going to be used for on Exile?

No, JIP is there for a reason, and if I'm going against a stacked team while I'm solo I don't want to be punished for leaving that bullshit game.

I estimate that at least one player has quit in at least 65% of the last 100 games I've played. It's a huge problem and joining in-progress games isn't the solution (although it does help, sometimes).

I estimate that at least one player has quit in at least 65% of the last 100 games I've played. It's a huge problem and joining in-progress games isn't the solution (although it does help, sometimes).

But the difference now is that you don't notice unless you press back and see the scoreboard with the names and even then, people do join even if the match started with men down. JIP can be improved sure, but taking it away would make it 1000 times worst. Reach wasn't even playable anymore near the end. As soon as a match started, people quit. It was garbage.

Man, King of the Hill can favor the other team so hard sometimes. I just had a game on Ragnarok where the hill kept respawning on the Blue team side of the map. Playing on Red Team got old quick.
this will happen everytime for koth on Ragnarok. It's a actually built into the gametype. Balance. Fun...

But the difference now is that you don't notice unless you press back and see the scoreboard with the names and even then, people do join even if the match started with men down. JIP can be improved sure, but taking it away would make it 1000 times worst. Reach wasn't even playable anymore near the end. As soon as a match started, people quit. It was garbage.

I don't want JIP to be taken away. I simply want there to be a significant penalty for quitting in-progress matches. Also, I find it difficult not to notice when my team isn't full, and I've played numerous games where my team's vacancies were never filled. JIP is good, and I agree that it's 100% better than Bungie's half-assed remedy ("jackpots"), but as I said it's not the solution.

I don't want JIP to be taken away. I simply want there to be a significant penalty for quitting in-progress matches. Also, I find it difficult not to notice when my team isn't full, and I've played numerous games where my team's vacancies were never filled. JIP is good, and I agree that it's 100% better than Bungie's half-assed remedy ("jackpots"), but as I said it's not the solution.

You cant get rid of quitting. Every MP game out there (console or pc) deals with people leaving at any point in the game and replacing them. If your goal is to have people stop leaving games entirely then you'll be holding your breath for a very long time cause its not gonna happen.

No game out there significantly penalizes people for leaving a game. None. Most of them give the guy a loss and that's it. Works fine in all those other games.

Haliela

After playing Bkack Ops 2 and coming back to Halo 4 this game feels even more like a masterpiece. Dat polish and amazing netcode.

You cant get rid of quitting.

I agree.

No game out there significantly penalizes people for leaving a game. None. Most of them give the guy a loss and that's it. Works fine in all those other games.

Numerous games have penalized quitters, including Halo 3, but whether those punishments are significant or not is arguable. Regardless, I can't say that 343's policy regarding quitters "works fine" in Halo 4 when players have quit in more than half of my games. You said that Reach eventually became barely playable due to quitters but after that's nearly how I feel about Halo 4 after less than 3 weeks.

Quitters are indeed inevitable, but that's doesn't justify inaction.

I agree.

Numerous games have penalized quitters, including Halo 3, but whether those punishments are significant or not is arguable. Regardless, I can't say that 343's policy regarding quitters "works fine" in Halo 4 when players have quit in more than half of my games. You said that Reach eventually became barely playable due to quitters but after that's nearly how I feel about Halo 4 after less than 3 weeks.

Quitters are indeed inevitable, but that's doesn't justify inaction.

Reach became unplayable cause the players who left were never replaced. Unlike all the other MP games out there. I dont care if people wanna leave, just replace them. Halo4 does that now.

Lima

Can't believe how good Stability is. It gets rid of pretty much all flinching. I still miss my ammo perk, especially in BTB where I now run constantly out of ammo but win pretty much every battle when I get shot.

Tzeentch

-- It's cool that they are really pushing the background lore a LOT in these new Spartan Op episodes. I am honestly quite interested in seeing where they go with the Halsey explanation/justification for the Spartans. I am sort of wondering if the other scientist is just going to be a foil for a "doing what must be done to survive" angle, even though it seems clear from other sources that even Bungie clearly was trying to show ONI and their work as being pretty bad. Isaac Hannaford in particular had this to say about ONI and the Sword Base aesthetic:

Isaac Hannaford said:
However such a secret organization, one that kidnaps children, subjugates its populations and is experienced at concealing the truth from its own people is kind of rotten on the inside. The interior was supposed to be reminiscent of an antiseptic hospital something cold and impersonal...I was also thinking of maggots...I imagined pulling the black stealth exoskeleton open and revealing a soft white fleshy underbelly.

Reach became unplayable cause the players who left were never replaced. Unlike all the other MP games out there. I dont care if people wanna leave, just replace them. Halo4 does that now.

The replacement is not immediate, though, and as I said I've played numerous matches where replacements never arrived. JIP and quitting penalties aren't mutually exclusive.

The replacement is not immediate, though, and as I said I've played numerous matches where replacements never arrived. JIP and quitting penalties aren't mutually exclusive.

Yes well that aspect for sure can be improved. Ill still take this over the old way any day of the week. This, even if in this state, is leagues better than how Reach or 3/2 was.

Fuchsdh

You do realize the game has only been out for three weeks, right?

Grenade hardballs are not cheating.

Boltshitting on people with the reload glitch is debatable since it's basically this game's BXR.

My primary loadout:

Light Rifle
Boltshot
Pulse Grenade
Hologram
AA Efficiency
Stealth

Come at me, bros

and promethean vision

What I want to know is why they have not fixed either yet.

Fuchsdh

I really hope Palmer gets killed during spops. I cannot take her shit any longer.

I'd just like her to actually appear and demonstrate how badass she is in the field. Right now she's been defined solely by her wisecracks and her somewhat-excessive hatred of Halsey (yeah, we know, she's a bastard, but you wouldn't be bitching at your squad without her, so at least feel conflicted or something.) That does not make a real character. I at least understood why Del Rio was incompetent.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'd just like her to actually appear and demonstrate how badass she is. Right now she's been defined solely by her wisecracks and her somewhat-excessive hatred of Halsey (yeah, we know, she's a bastard, but you wouldn't be bitching at your squad without her, so at least feel conflicted or something.) That does not make a real character. I at least understood why Del Rio was incompetent.

If I hear "egghead" or "war criminal" one more time I will lose it.

Fuchsdh

Really? Because I didn't. There wasn't any motivation there.

No one is "motivated" to be incompetent, it just happens. The Thursday War sets up plenty for him, although it would have been nice to have a bit in the game to explain it to players. Basically, he's by the book, and doesn't have the same respect of his men that Lasky does. You get a little taste in TTW that he resent that, and I think that's mostly what causes his blowup in Halo 4--he sees that he can't really get his people to do what they don't want to do because they don't respect his leadership, and rightly so (making some shitty decisions.)

I personally think it would have been more interesting had he not been so crappy a commander, then that would have made Lasky's disobeying orders more meaningful.

Zeal

Banned
I really hope Palmer gets killed during spops. I cannot take her shit any longer.
This.

I hate all of these so called Spartan IVs. They are not Spartans, but I think they were written to be dislikeable to show what it means to be the real thing and not a wannabe.

Top Bottom