• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

nbraun80

Yeah idk, I really don't see a problem with camp or jet pack. If camping you know the general area to grenade, and like someone else said the only problem is camo sniper. I haven't seen many jetpacks and those that do I just see them get killed because once you see someone in the air everyone shoots him. Honestly I find the AA's to be pretty balanced, and non OP.

Just finished another run of this week's Spartan Ops, this time on legendary as a duo. Loved every minute of it and was surprised to see the battles play out very different than my first time through - at least for the first four chapters. With the right players this is a really good time.

If people didn't like the first two episodes they should give this latest one a shot.

Izayoi

Banned
Anything that doesnt manipulate the game code is not cheating. It might be a tactic that you dont like but it isnt cheating.
"Cheating in video games involves a video game player using non-standard methods for creating an advantage beyond normal gameplay, usually to make the game easier."

or

"A keyboard or game pad button sequence that gives the player an advantage in the game."

or

"2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

3. A computer application, password, or disallowed technique used to advance to a higher skill level in a computer video game."

People are free to cheat all they want, but don't try and change the definition.

Dont play with imaginary rules. Everything in the game that can be used to your advantage should be. The point of any game is to win right? Suck it up. People wont adhere to some imaginary honor system you got built up in your head.
Counting cards is a totally legitimate strategy as well, I'm sure.

Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with it? The only thing I find annoying is stealth + sniper. I don't find it too hard to kill people with camo, though I won't mind a small nerf for it.
How much CTF and BTB do you play? Active Camo is the best armor ability in the game, hands-down.

Non-standard is a pretty vague term to describe cheating. I remember a video showing all sorts of sick jumps on Haven that allows you to across the map quickly, it usually involves impossible jumps across particular platforms and pillars. The map designer probably didn't intended the jumps to be possible, so that's pretty non-standard, is that cheating too?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Non-standard is a pretty vague term to describe cheating. I remember a video showing all sorts of sick jumps on Haven that allows you to across the map quickly, it usually involves impossible jumps across particular platforms and pillars. The map designer probably didn't intended the jumps to be possible, so that's pretty non-standard, is that cheating too?

You're assuming jumps aren't intentional and equating them to glitching/bug exploiting.

They are no where even close to comparable.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of competitive metagame tactics across a wide range of games would fit one of those definitions.

nbraun80

How much CTF and BTB do you play? Active Camo is the best armor ability in the game, hands-down.
All I play is btb and some infinity slayer, and I haven't had a big problem with someone with camo, nor do I see it as the hands-down best AA. They all have decent uses depending on your playstyle, I usually use vision, holo, or regen.

IHaveIce

Banned
I played Halo 2 online more than any of the Halo games multiplayer-wise, except maybe Halo PC. I thought the same thing then about button combo abusers as I do now. Are you really going to try and make a case for exploits by bringing up the plethora of button combos that Halo 2 had?

Then I don't understand how you can say this is really bad cheating, Halo 2's button combos were on a whole different level of game changing and even then I didn't thought about it as cheating, it is learning a mistake in the game to your favour.

By this standard a lot of things would be cheating wouldn't it? What is with trick jumps or some kind of this stuff?

It is pressing grenade + sprint ..

I will supoort you though in the favour of fixing the boltshot glicht, that one is gamechanging and on Halo 2 level.

Izayoi

Banned
The map designer probably didn't intended the jumps to be possible, so that's pretty non-standard, is that cheating too?
I can almost guarantee you that all of the jumps that are possible were intended to be that way. I can execute all of the jumps shown on Haven so far, and I'm no pro.

A lot of competitive metagame tactics across a wide range of games would fit one of those definitions.
There's a difference between metagame tactics that the developer consciously implemented and intended to be used by highly skilled players (hard jumps, proper cadence with bloom, etc.) and glitches that were not intended to be in the game at all, and indeed are errors in programming that produce undesirable results granting those who use them an unfair advantage.

Then I don't understand how you can say this is really bad cheating, Halo 2's button combos were on a whole different level of game changing and even then I didn't thought about it as cheating, it is learning a mistake in the game to your favour.
I'm not saying it's "really bad" but it is exploiting that gives the user an unfair advantage which, by definition, is cheating. I'm not saying that people who use it are lesser or anything like that, I'm merely calling it what it is. Like I said before, if 343 had been a little more competent (or perhaps less arrogant, depending on how you want to look at it), this all could've been avoided with a multiplayer beta.

I'm glad you can see that at least the Boltshot glitch needs to be fixed, but at its core, it is no different than the sprinting grenade glitch. They are both caused by faulty programming, and they both alter the gameplay experience in favor of the user.

Right, I play flood / zombies quite often and getting rather good at lunge boosting at people at weird angles, some guy was having a fit because 10 seconds into a match I flew at him from half a map away and locked on a lunge, lol, he promptly killed me next round when we were both flood so I booted his ass out.

You had to be there :p

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

What? Game exploits arent cheating. Anything accessible to everyone is not cheating. Just because you fail to employ it doesnt make it cheating. Crying like a baby because you have a imaginary rule set in your mind doesnt make it cheating. For fucks sake here read something you should have read ten years ago.

Izayoi

Banned
You caught me!

Still though, if you cheat, that's great. It's in the game, it's technically 343's fault. Blame it on them, but it's still cheating.

You obviously haven't been banned for it, so go right ahead.

What? Game exploits arent cheating. Anything accessible to everyone is not cheating. Just because you fail to employ it doesnt make it cheating. Crying like a baby because you have a imaginary rule set in your mind doesnt make it cheating. For fucks sake here read something you should have read ten years ago.
Who said I can't use it? It's not exactly rocket science, and in fact, it's far easier to pull off than many of Halo 2's button glitches (which I could also do, but did not use). I don't do it because it's cheating, that's great you do mental gymnastics to justify it, but it doesn't change the fact that you're exploiting the game.

Edit: Wait, you want me to read a book about how best to be a hyper-competitive tryhard in videogames? Are you joking? Maybe when I was 12, but I'm far past that point by now. Just because you play to win, and want to hang with the big boys in MLG, doesn't mean that everyone does.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You caught me!

Still though, if you cheat, that's great. It's in the game, it's technically 343's fault. Blame it on them, but it's still cheating.

You obviously haven't been banned for it, so go right ahead.

Who said I can't use it? It's not exactly rocket science, and in fact, it's far easier to pull off than many of Halo 2's button glitches (which I could also do, but did not use). I don't do it because it's cheating, that's great you do mental gymnastics to justify it, but it doesn't change the fact that you're exploiting the game.

The only one doing mental gymnastics here is you. If the game code isnt tampered with its not cheating. People will bend and break all kinds of stuff, but guess what thats always been around. There are two types of players when it comes to that. The ones who use it and figure out how to beat it and people who cant beat that strategy and complain. You strike me as the latter.

*edit* lmao..a try hard. heavens forbid someone attempted to be good at something. If you dont care about us 'try hards' then why are you complaining about game exploits?. You shouldnt care. Youre all cool and casual.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do they intend to fix the menu running at 10 frames per second while in matchmaking searches / lobbies? It makes checking challenges and commendations or changing armor a real struggle.

Have played some multiplayer. I think it's fun, and it still plays like Halo. I like the new added powers to pick from, although the jet pack feels pretty useless. Only good when you need to jump down to something.

And then there are others: Jetpack is OP and needs to be removed. :lol opinions

Izayoi

Banned
There are two types of players when it comes to that. The ones who use it and figure out how to beat it and people who cant beat that strategy and complain. You strike me as the latter.
Didn't I say in that very post that I could use both glitches? It's not hard, anyone who is shown how can easily do it. The problem is that only a relatively small amount of people online know how to use it, which gives them an unfair advantage over people who don't actively search for exploits. If it was something introduced by the game as a mechanic, something that was clearly intended for use by players, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Obviously it is not. Like I said, it's great that you feel you need exploits to walk all over pubs, but not everyone cares as much as you do.

Mik2121

Man, this game can get so annoying when your team is full of idiots... I was just playing Flag mode and I was the only one in my team trying to get the goddamn flag all the time. I would get killed on my way to my side (playing in Ragnarok) and my team would just stay in our base camping... No need to say, I got so annoyed I just quit mid-game and I assume they lost.

Seriously... this people should just stick to fucking slayer mode, not flag...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Didn't I say in that very post that I could use both glitches? It's not hard, anyone who is shown how to do it can easily do it. The problem is that only a relatively small amount of people online know how to use it, which gives them an unfair advantage over people who don't actively search for exploits. If it was something introduced by the game as a mechanic, something that was clearly intended for use by players, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Obviously it is not. Like I said, it's great that you feel you need exploits to walk all over pubs, but not everyone cares as much as you do.

Are you serious right now? people who figured out how to fall off the slide in mario 64 are cheaters? People who figured out option select in street fighter are cheaters? yea move the goal posts. its not cheating. i never stated i use or dont use anything i merely pointed out that anything that is in the game that can be done by every user no matter how complicated or uncomplicated is not cheating. Intended or unintended they're IN THE GAME. If every one can do it its fair. As far as people knowing about these things..i mean..holy shit where do i beign? Are you familiar with the concept of competitive gaming at all? Wow. People have hidden strats for YEARS. Guess what playa..your ignorance is YOUR fault not the dude who took the time to play and figure shit out. Literally the only thing youve done here is cry and prove that you have an inferior grasp of the game.

Izayoi

Banned
Literally the only thing youve done here is cry and prove that you have an inferior grasp of the game.
Keep making personal attacks and ignoring the fact that I've said, many times now, that I am more than capable of performing these glitches myself. How many times do I have to repeat myself before you understand that I'm not crying because I can't do simple button combos? I'm a real asshole for wanting the game to be a level playing field, I suppose.

While we're at it, you're not honestly going to call Halo 4, of all games, a "competitive" game, are you? Hidden "strats," as you call them, are hardly the same as exploiting a glitch.

I'm not sure why you're addressing me specifically with your statements about ignorance, either, as clearly I know about the glitches and can even perform them! I'm assuming you mean "your" as in 90% of Halo 4's matchmaking population?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Keep making personal attacks and ignoring the fact that I've said, many times now, that I am more than capable of performing these glitches myself. How many times do I have to repeat myself before you understand that I'm not crying because I can't do simple button combos? I'm a real asshole for wanting the game to be a level playing field, I suppose.

While we're at it, you're not honestly going to call Halo 4, of all games, a "competitive" game, are you? Hidden "strats," as you call them, are hardly the same as exploiting a glitch.

I'm not sure why you're addressing me specifically with your statements about ignorance, either, as clearly I know about the glitches and can even perform them! I'm assuming you mean "your" as in 90% of Halo 4's matchmaking population?

It IS leveled. FFS you can do the same button presses cant you? You can perform every action everyone else can. Im addressing you because you keep spouting the word 'cheating'. Its not fucking cheating. It isn't.

Grenade hardballs are not cheating.

Boltshitting on people with the reload glitch is debatable since it's basically this game's BXR.

My primary loadout:

Light Rifle
Boltshot
Pulse Grenade
Hologram
AA Efficiency
Stealth

Come at me, bros

and promethean vision

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game can get so annoying when your team is full of idiots... I was just playing Flag mode and I was the only one in my team trying to get the goddamn flag all the time. I would get killed on my way to my side (playing in Ragnarok) and my team would just stay in our base camping... No need to say, I got so annoyed I just quit mid-game and I assume they lost.

Seriously... this people should just stick to fucking slayer mode, not flag...

BOOOOOOOOO stick it out you pussy.

Boltshitting on people with the reload glitch

what's this now? I keep meaning to up my boltshot game, but really, most of the time it revolved around me running round the corner going 'aaaahhhhh' charge shotting the wall next to the guy, who then looks at me for a bit before beating me to death with his fists for the insult.

I suck with that boltshot. the animation works on my brain like some kind of illusion where i can't really tell where it's pointing. I try and ignore it and just look at the reticle, I don't know why it doesn't work. That and I cant get the timing right.

edit: I don't get all the jetpack weeping. 90 percent of people just use it to throw themselves in the air and make easy meat of themselves. haven't seen many formidable jetpack users.

It IS leveled. FFS you can do the same button presses cant you? You can perform every action everyone else can. Im addressing you because you keep spouting the word 'cheating'. Its not fucking cheating. It isn't.

It's cheating, man, just like BXR before it. It's unintended game behavior used to your advantage.

Anyone can hide an extra ace in their boot, should I do that next time I play cards? Because that's, effectively, what you're doing.

I agree, if it's something everyone has the same ability to do, I don't consider it cheating. Can it be lame and/or cheap? Yes. Is it cheating? No.

Though, there's exceptions of course, such as super bounces in Oddball on Lockout, that shit was CHEATING.

I agree, if it's something everyone has the same ability to do, I don't consider it cheating. Can it be lame and/or cheap? Yes. Is it cheating? No.

Though, there's exceptions of course, such as super bounces in Oddball on Lockout, that shit was CHEATING.
What's the difference?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's cheating, man, just like BXR before it. It's unintended game behavior used to your advantage.

Anyone can hide an extra ace in their boot, should I do that next time I play cards? Because that's, effectively, what you're doing.

What? Not even close. Ace in the boot is hiding shit. The exploits being detailed are available to everyone. Try again.

What? Not even close. Ace in the boot is hiding shit. The exploits being detailed are available to everyone. Try again.

What? Not even close, an ace in the boot is something anyone can do, just move the goalposts - a skilful poker player will know the right time to use that ace and will strategically bring it into play without anyone else noticing.

No but really cheating or not, whether anyone can do it or not, the boltshot thing is just no fun. That weapon really does its bit to dumb down the game. I understand that some people will think pulling off a boltshot glitch is tactical and skilful, but it's the easiest kill in the world to pull off and slows down the real gameplay.

Grenade glitch is pretty shitty because most people won't see it coming, but if nade throws where half decent I doubt it would be used. 343 should fix it but also improve the nade throwing in the game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What? Not even close, an ace in the boot is something anyone can do, just move the goalposts - a skilful poker player will know the right time to use that ace and will strategically bring it into play without anyone else noticing.

No but really cheating or not, whether anyone can do it or not, the boltshot thing is just no fun. That weapon really does its bit to dumb down the game. I understand that some people will think pulling off a boltshot glitch is tactical and skilful, but it's the easiest kill in the world to pull off and slows down the real gameplay.

Grenade glitch is pretty shitty because most people won't see it coming, but if nade throws where half decent I doubt it would be used. 343 should fix it but also improve the nade throwing in the game.

Youre arguing balance. Why did you even address me? Whatever was done to you you can do to some one else.

This is hidden too, the game doesn't detail it and you need to look up how to do it. I don't know how to do it. For me, it's literally the same as you having an extra Ace in your shoe.

Breaks the map.

Yeah, I remember that bounce now. Coupled with Oddball, that could get unfair quick. Did you have to be host for the Superbounce to work? I forget.

You know what's funny about this comment? The feedback menu on XBL specifically lists using "known in-game exploits" as cheating and grounds for filing complaints.

Fuchsdh

The fact that this is possible is awesome, I need to take a plasma pistol class into spops and try that out from now on

I hope they just keep getting bigger and better with the missions - I just hope that the stories intergrate a little better going forward. So far the disconnect between the cutscenes and missions is a little jarring. I think actually getting in the pelican rather than just the weird fade to black would help with this too.

Yeah the decisions in Ops and campaign about how missions end and jump between cutscenes is just bad and gives the impression of being rushed. Actually getting in the Pelican a la Halo CE also makes it much easier to see what the holdup on finishing the mission is--sometimes one player isn't close enough to trigger the end and we're all sitting around awkardly.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh my armor and loadouts got reset again. For fucks sake.

Izayoi

Banned
Did you ever play Modern Warfare 2, Gr1mLock? If so, how did you feel about the Javelin glitch? Care Package glitch? The plethora of other glitches that gave people who knew how to use them an advantage over other players?

The feedback menu on XBL specifically lists using "known in-game exploits" as cheating and grounds for filing complaints.
And a permanent ban from XBL.

343: Punish quitters. PLEASE.
At the very least, they should not be given host. Black screening is quickly becoming an epidemic.

Man, King of the Hill can favor the other team so hard sometimes. I just had a game on Ragnarok where the hill kept respawning on the Blue team side of the map. Playing on Red Team got old quick.

Top Bottom