• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Fuchsdh

If you dont like camping, you should love Promethean Vision. So satisfying to flush out crouching players behind walls.

I've seen far less issues with campers in this game, though I don't thing PV is the main reason.

zlatko

Banned
I'm hoping to hit SR10 for Rogue come end of Friday so that I can take that no flinch perk for a test drive. I have high hopes for it.

Any suggestions on which specialization to level otherwise? Right now my other ability I'm using is shield recharge, so which of the specializations, if any, have possible choices for that slot instead of the slot where my No Flinch will go?

Fuchsdh

I'm hoping to hit SR10 for Rogue come end of Friday so that I can take that no flinch perk for a test drive. I have high hopes for it.

Any suggestions on which specialization to level otherwise? Right now my other ability I'm using is shield recharge, so which of the specializations, if any, have possible choices for that slot instead of the slot where my No Flinch will go?
Are the specialization perks tactical or support packages?

zlatko

Banned
Are the specialization perks tactical or support packages?

That's what I'm wondering. If they are all just tactical or support, or a mix. If they all go in the same slot as Dexterity/no flinch/etc, then I can just focus on the specializations that give cool armor and such, since I don't plan to swap flinch for anything if it does what people have claimed it does.

Izayoi

Banned
Fuck the Motion Sensor. Fuck that broken POS. Jesus Christ, you should only show up when you fire a weapon ala EVERY OTHER SHOOTER WITH COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Goddamn, 343.
Have you... never played Halo before?

Sarcasm, maybe...?

That's what I'm wondering. If they are all just tactical or support, or a mix. If they all go in the same slot as Dexterity/no flinch/etc, then I can just focus on the specializations that give cool armor and such, since I don't plan to swap flinch for anything if it does what people have claimed it does.
Stabilization (Rogue) is the same slot as Ammo/Dexterity.

Fast Track (Pioneer) is the same slot as Mobility/Firepower.

By Thursday I should be on my third spec, so I'll post that whenever I get to it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have you... never played Halo before?

Sarcasm, maybe...?

Stabilization (Rogue) is the same slot as Ammo/Dexterity.

Fast Track (Pioneer) is the same slot as Mobility/Firepower.
To be fair, motion tracker is the ultimate noob helping mechanic. Shit they even went further and gave people Promethean Vision, an AA designed for people who lack basic intuition.

But it shouldn't be causing grief for anyone. If you're a good player, you really shouldn't need either.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I, too, experienced the problem of landing on a backup server. At first, I thought it was because my NAT was moderate. After fixing it, I was able to jump online with no issues. Later that day, I went to my in-laws and experienced the same problem.

A restart of my console appears to correct the issue every time. Hopefully that helps some of you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PP skin, light blue visor and the XP perk are all pretty nice. The armor is ugly though.
Can you change the circle bit on the helmet to any visor colour, or is it predefined to the two armor sets you get?

Hitting 50 tonight and will probably go for Pioneer first. Didn't know you got a light blue visor too, seals the deal.

It seems there's no good place on the internet that has all the specialization unlocks in detail (incl. visors) outside of 4Chan.

blamite

Halo Bulletin on Specializations (pretty sure the visor colors shown here are wrong, though)

Slot 1 Specializations- Pioneer, Tracker, Operator
Slot 2 Specializations- Wetwork, Engineer, Rogue, Stalker, Pathfinder

Personally, i'm choosing my specializations based on the weapon skins they unlock. Although I accidentally picked Engineer instead of Tracker because I thought it was the one with the Boltshot skin. Pretty sure I have all the perks I plan on using, so this'l be the most "useful" to me. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The 4Chan General is the most informative, shamelessly copy+pasted:

EDIT: Props blamite for the link & post. Glad to see most are support upgrades so I can keep that mobility.

zlatko

Banned
Halo Bulletin on Specializations (pretty sure the visor colors shown here are wrong, though)

Slot 1 Specializations- Pioneer, Tracker, Operator
Slot 2 Specializations- Wetwork, Engineer, Rogue, Stalker, Pathfinder

Personally, i'm choosing my specializations based on the weapon skins they unlock. Although I accidentally picked Engineer instead of Tracker because I thought it was the one with the Boltshot skin. Pretty sure I have all the perks I plan on using, so this'l be the most "useful" to me. :lol

Rogue now, and then Tracker for me. Best combo imo.

zlatko

Banned
Can you change the circle bit on the helmet to any visor colour, or is it predefined to the two armor sets you get?

Hitting 50 tonight and will probably go for Pioneer first. Didn't know you got a light blue visor too, seals the deal.

It seems there's no good place on the internet that has all the specialization unlocks in detail (incl. visors) outside of 4Chan.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-4/Specializations

IGN has you covered for that.

Recall

Never mind that didn't work as I don't know the code for hiding things behind quoting a post :(

Anyone else having issues joining a match, for me it always takes forever!

Insaniac

People are seriously complaining about motion sensor radar? Its been around in EVERY Halo. Never had a problem with it because I've run with a team who communicates, so campers accomplish very little in actuality. Lets complain about the real problems, like completely imbalanced tactical / specialization packages / armor abilities

zlatko

Banned
People are seriously complaining about motion sensor radar? Its been around in EVERY Halo. Never had a problem with it because I've run with a team who communicates, so campers accomplish very little in actuality. Lets complain about the real problems, like completely imbalanced tactical / specialization packages / armor abilities

I don't feel any of the tac/sup benefits are imbalanced. The only one that may be is the no flinch one from becoming Rogue for specialization.

Which ones do you feel are game breaking?

Pooya

I think Prom. guns need to be changed, they don't fit well into Halo or are not unique enough. The guns should look and feel alien somewhat imo

Boltshot: This is a good pistol design, the secondary shotgun mode is good too, sure it's too powerful for multiplayer but overall it's a good design.

Light Rifle: This is just another scoped gun, I guess each faction needs have one but it's not really unique enough. Still good enough to be passable.

Binary Rifle: I really like this sniper class gun, it feels really powerful, the design might be still not alien enough though, it's pretty good.

Scattershot: now this is absolutely horrible, This is basically a human shotgun with a different skin, this isn't alien at all. not sure what was the thought process... I cringed at the reload animation, no imagination involved :eek: this should go away.

Suppressor: yeah, this is another smg in a new skin, just like scattershot get rid of it.

Inc. Cannon: This power weapon is very powerful, it's like giving free kills to anyone carrying it, there is absolutely no skill required, you have to be really really bad to miss. I think something like this now that it's in the game should be really recognizable. Unfortunately I think the gun's look doesn't stand out enough, time and time I ran into someone carrying one of these. It should be really really obvious if an opponent is carrying one more than any other power weapon and right now I feel that Inc. Cannon isn't easy to spot.

Pulse Grenades: these are acceptable for a new type of grenades with unique features but they are only useful in KOTH or Dominion modes, it's not really useful in the campaign at all or any other modes imo. maybe it can be tweaked to be less pointless elsewhere? Like if I shoot the core of 'pulse' it explodes instantly?

Prom. Knights themselves, I prefer organic enemies. They definitely need to have far less health or have different types. I really don't like the designs, it just looks like something from mecha anime or transformers ah.

I really wish we could fight real alive forerunners, maybe all of them aren't dead :( they need to have better enemy variety and Knights aren't very interesting. I don't like Halo to turn into another space robots army thing, that's boring.

Kujo

One trend I don't like in Halo is showing the enemies your exact location more and more each game, makes it much harder to flank. It used to be just the standard radar, dots, they could be higher or lower and you'd have to work it out yourself. Then they made it so anyone could tell what level the enemy is on. Now they've increased the range of the radar even further. In CTF you could fake out your opponents on where you took the flag, or wait near base for teammate to pick you up. Now there's a big arrow on your head, the only strategy now is, run. Doing too well in FFA? Bam, arrow on your head. Maybe I can stealth my way around this building, no wait, other guy has Prom Vision, no point anymore. I imagine it's one of the reasons why Assault is gone, Prom Vision would end that guessing game in 10 seconds. Though I guess Assault in this game would probably have an arrow over your head too

LosDaddie

Banned
PP skin, light blue visor and the XP perk are all pretty nice. The armor is ugly though.

OK thanks.

I thought you/the player doesn't need to wear the armor. Is that correct? Because I'd like to keep using the Requiem armor I unlocked via Waypoint. That is, until I unlock Master Chief's armor. :)

Fast Track is worthless, the XP bonus was not worth forgoing Stabilization for 10 levels.

hmm...something to consider, for sure. I might be leaning towards Rogue now..

zlatko

Banned
Any color you've got unlocked. It still looks like shit though :eek:

What's worthless about extra XP?

Well if you pick upgrades that give you the capability to get more kills/die less, then you will get more exp either way doing better in games, which is why I find XP boost alone worthless.

~500 a match is nothing. I just did a decent Big Team match and got 587 Fast Track XP with 20 kills and 43 medals. It's good for SPOPs matchmaking XP farming and that's about it.
It's like getting a bonus game's worth of XP every 6 games!

Okay you're right that's not very significant.

OK thanks.

I thought you/the player doesn't need to wear the armor. Is that correct? Because I'd like to keep using the Requiem armor I unlocked via Waypoint. That is, until I unlock Master Chief's armor. :)
No you don't have to wear the armor while leveling the spec. I was just pointing out the goodies that I liked about Pioneer.

Karl2177

Radar could be improved by having 5 potential radar traits:
-Basic motion: Halo 1-3 style
-Advanced motion: Reach/4 style
-No radar
-Always visible
-Only visible when firing

If the armor mod system is to continue in future games, a potential mod would be to improve the radar mode.

Insaniac

I don't feel any of the tac/sup benefits are imbalanced. The only one that may be is the no flinch one from becoming Rogue for specialization.

Which ones do you feel are game breaking?

i wouldn't say one or another are gamebreaking, but its just that some are much more useful than others, such as mobility, dexterity, compared to others (especially some specialization acquired ones) basically they need to make the less appealing ones more appealing.

blamite

OK thanks.

Nah, you can choose to totally ignore all of the armor and skins and stuff if you want to.

So how do I access Waypoint? In-game my Xbox freezes every single time. I have downloaded the app where is it?

Also what's up with the audio in cut-scenes? It's like 64 kbps or something :/

Motion sensor/radar is fine to me. When I see a red dot I'm more cautious. And I go to the dot, usually the person goes to me too. We're moving, not camping. If I see the dot disappear, I know they're standing.
Yeah, it's kinda like you know everything your enemy is doing in real time without having to see them and it ruins any excitement at all when it comes to cqc or even mid range combat. And if you run a corner into anyone half decent in the game you will be getting a grenade landed on your feet before you see me or them and you will lose the fight if you do not run away immediately.

That is why high level play in this game is a bore. They know not to confront. You know not to confront and so 1 v 1 combat happens as rarely as it doesn't happen. 4 fplayers on one side of the corner, 4 players on the other. One side decides to flank, but the other side saw 2 dots leave. Fun. Strategic. No, dumb. It has less to do with camping than it does have to do with map lock and nade fear and simply not being able to go on the offensive without your position being absolutely blown at every moment of your attack. With the radar, wait and see beats the competition, every time. never be proactive, only reactive. It's boriing once you run into people that realized the same thing.

There is nothing to be cautious about. You know EXACTLY where your enemies are and what they are doing. And I don't give a crap about how many Halos had it before. It's DUMB, and it's never been as dumb as it has been during halo 1, halo 2 or halo 3. In halo 3, you could not tell if the enemy was above you, on level with you, or below yo simply by looking at the radar. The way it is now, it benefits nothing for the game but slow it down and ruin concepts like flanking and elevation in these maps. In haven, when somebody is below me, I ignore him. There is no mystery. There is no guess work or problem solving or an iota of thought required for the player to piece together the enemy location. The radar says "He's below you, forget that dot" and you do just that. And the range combines with the smaller maps is so that it is nearly impossible to flank me without me letting you do so. Take an entire chunk of fps gaming and throw it out the door. Why? For what reason? It was in Halo before? I do not care.

All they really need to do is cut the range down to fit the new map sizes, or make it refresh every 2 seconds rather than be a perfect real time indicator. Not hard. Not asking for much. There really is no reason I can even come up for not wanting a smarter game that asks more of their players and demands more communcation between the players. No longer would I say "Hey, someone's coming behind you" without sounding dumb because my teammate already saw him coming 100 feet away.

The reason a lot of these class abilities are unbalanced is the radar's fault.

And, to respond to the other poster, I can tell I'm host because I'm winning 1 vs 1 fights and my auto-aim is kicked up a notch. All I have to do is fling my controller in their direction and I get the head shot. This is amplified when playing swat. The enemy can juke, jump, doesn't matter. My bead is stuck on him like glue. If I find myself getting away after getting 4 shotted, it means I'm either host or my connection rocks. The opposite, if I get hit 3 times and I can't get away by the time the 5th hit magically hits me: my connection sucks. This game, like any other competitive fps, needs dedicated servers. Lag is the difference between 4 and 5 shots...between a win and a "what, I shot first and made every hit...yet I lost?" It's the difference between "no, you can't run from me" and "How the hell did he get away?" And it wouldn't be so bad if the auto-aim and flinching wasn't so sporadic, but it is, and I'm willing to bet that lag has everything to do with it. It is the only changing factor in a match's formula. It has happened to me numerous times where the host quits, and then all of a sudden, I was struggling in a game and now I'm doing great. No, the average gamer won't tell the difference, but when you get into the higher tiers and almost everybody is making their 5 shots count, it's apparent as it is in Blops2 right now. It, plus the radar, quite literally ruins high level play in this game.

zlatko

Banned
i wouldn't say one or another are gamebreaking, but its just that some are much more useful than others, such as mobility, dexterity, compared to others (especially some specialization acquired ones) basically they need to make the less appealing ones more appealing.

I can get behind this. I'd also like to just see a buff to abilities too like the Sentry so it isn't a total piece of shit. :/

When are new Spartan Ops episodes released? I want to make sure I play each ep while matchmaking is available. I've completed ep3 at this point. How long do I have to do 4?

Thanks.

blamite

So how do I access Waypoint? In-game my Xbox freezes every single time. I have downloaded the app where is it?

Should be in your games library on the dashboard. Since Day 1 there's been a bug where the majority of people have their Xbox crash when they try to load Waypoint from the main menu.

darthbob

Also what's up with the audio in cut-scenes? It's like 64 kbps or something :/

Delete all Waypoint content on your system and redownload from the dash.

Audio in cutscenes, aside from VO is highly compressed and is likely a shitty attempt at disc compression. I'm pretty pissed at that one.

Raxus

You're stuck in the back-up servers, which people have been lamenting on this very page.

That is what a feared. What a stupid fucking design choice. Not being able to play with your friends really sucks but being straight up locked out of Spartan Ops is bullshit. I have nothing to do and the experience I get from games is so minimal I might as well not even try.

Should be in your games library on the dashboard. Since Day 1 there's been a bug where the majority of people have their Xbox crash when they try to load Waypoint from the main menu.

Delete all Waypoint content on your system and redownload from the dash.

Thanks found it and will try re-downloading it.

Audio in cutscenes, aside from VO is highly compressed and is likely a shitty attempt at disc compression. I'm pretty pissed at that one.

Shame about the audio it makes the scenes a little less epic especially on 5.1 sound systems because apart from those the sound is superb.

LosDaddie

Banned
No you don't have to wear the armor while leveling the spec. I was just pointing out the goodies that I liked about Pioneer.

Nah, you can choose to totally ignore all of the armor and skins and stuff if you want to.

Thanks.

Will this bug get patched? My X360 crashes every time I try to load Waypoint from H4

Top Bottom