• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

This is right up there for my favorite campaign. Breathtaking areas to trollop through, easily the most compelling plot, and a nice infusion of new weaponry and vehicles (well, the mantis anyway). I do miss Scarabs, that was an epic set piece and something I hope will provide inspiration for the next game which should be on a more expansive scale with the significant engine boost on the new system. It should hopefully qualm the complaints about the size of sandboxes here. I think they are valid complaints and I feel you guys, I just think this campaign made for a tight, interesting, and beautiful experience. I will have grander expectations and more room for disappointment in the next installment as they will have far more to work with technologically, and also should have learned a great deal from making their first large scale entry and the feedback they receive leading up to the next game.

2 has the weakest campaign by far for me. Nothing super memorable outside the New Mombasa level.
Same. I thought it had the weakest game but the best storytelling. That's from memory though, haven't played it all the way through in a while.

It's not that the game doesn't have large areas & big battles, it's just they are lacking throughout & the game focuses on the smaller skirmishes.
I can think of a bunch of medium sized encounters, but have to try them again to see how well you can approach them in different ways. Really didn't like anything about the Mammoth level though and hope thats not their idea of epic.

exYle

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of Forerunner battlestation that is massive and can be defeated in a variety of ways. A bigger, better, more fun Scarab.

Grisby

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of Forerunner battlestation that is massive and can be defeated in a variety of ways. A bigger, better, more fun Scarab.
This is an idea I could get behind. Or on top of. Whatever allows me to destroy it.

Yeah! You see a Scarab and you are like okay lets do this and then the Forerunner battlestation falls on the Scarab for scale and the battle begins!

blamite

Mission 7, Legendary. Beginning of the mission. Will enemies ever stop coming until I push this button? If I take the time to pick most of them off, the next wave comes in before I can get to the button. This suuuuuucks.

edit: nevermind, got it. I've been seriously underusing the noob combo in this game. I guess I'm used to being able to find better weapons lying around so I just never feel the need to use it. Also: only getting 5 overcharges per plasma pistol sucks.

i-Lo

So I started playing Halo and finished, "Dawn" and I have to say... "Wow".. the graphical fidelity (including texture and scale) is just magnificent. After playing three other Halo games in the last three weeks, I can say that compared to Halo 3 it looks as if it's nearly a generation ahead and compared to Reach, it seems that it has been taken as far forward as can expected of MS's flagship exclusive. Whoever said gameplay>graphics should be made to realize that when you have presentation like this allied with gameplay of a game like Halo, the experience can be truly astounding. I remember being this awed when I played Uncharted 3 quite a while back.

I had a question pertaining to the difficulty:

• After having finished Halo 3 not two days ago, it feels like "Heroic" on H4 may actually be a bit more difficult. Can anyone attest to this?

daedalius

So I started playing Halo and finished, "Dawn" and I have to say... "Wow".. the graphical fidelity (including texture and scale) is just magnificent. After playing three other Halo games in the last three weeks, I can say that compared to Halo 3 it looks as if it's nearly a generation ahead and compared to Reach, it seems that it has been taken as far forward as can expected of MS's flagship exclusive. Whoever said gameplay>graphics should be made to realize that when you have presentation like this allied with gameplay of a game like Halo, the experience can be truly astounding. I remember being this awed when I played Uncharted 3 quite a while back.

• After having finished Halo 3 not two days ago, it feels like "Heroic" on H4 may actually be a bit more difficult. Can anyone attest to this?

I think it has less to do with the overall difficulty, and more with the fact that Brutes in Halo 3 on Heroic are pretty dumb, and easy to kill.

i-Lo

I think it has less to do with the overall difficulty, and more with the fact that Brutes in Halo 3 on Heroic are pretty dumb, and easy to kill.

I nearly got decimated within the ship itself, as you can imagine. I had to resort to playing the game like ODST. Can't begin to imagine what Legendary was going to be like had I chosen that.

I played every previous Halo on Heroic in my opinion Halo 4's Heroic definately is a bit harder than the previous.

abadguy

Banned
2 has the weakest campaign by far for me. Nothing super memorable outside the New Mombasa level.

Agreed.( though i remember liking the arbiter levels and high charity) I really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign but i still liked Reach SP better. It's Halo CE>Reach>Halo4>ODST>Halo 3>>>>Halo 2

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally beat the game for the first time, on solo Legendary - I definitely enjoyed the visual ride, as well as the adventure and flow, but there were still some things I didn't like.

Halo 4 Legendary was by far the easiest of all Halos - if I wasn't messing around and exploring to find the terminals, admire scenery, and get the level-specific Achievements, I could have knocked it out in a day tops. Dunno how they could have recommended to play on Normal for the first time for this, I guess they meant that for casuals-only or something.

For example, the enemy A.I., namely Prometheans - with the past Bungie games, the A.I. is the best in the business, hands-down. Battles never felt cheap, they felt strategic, the enemies utilizes their surroundings, they didn't camp, they felt smart in battle. Here? I couldn't believe how many of the enemies insisted on hiding behind the closest pillar till you came around, and even when discovered, they would continue to hang around that pillar, even if you rushed them or tried to force them out.

I even remember in one of the earlier levels an Elite totally took me by surprise after I cleared out a room, and was even aware of the number of enemies I was battling, and he just popped out from around a corner as I was walking past - I still killed him first, but he had to have been hiding there and not moved an inch till I walked past him because the room was tiny. Really disliked that campiness from the enemies, because they just would not make a move towards you until you're in their breathing space, just staying back and taking pot-shots the whole time. I know I'm the Master Chief and all, but not all of you have to act like pussies and hang back.

Marines are not great at staying alive at all - all they do is rush past me and go straight into the open and get gunned down in no time, every time. If you're going to make them that gung-ho, at least make them stronger or even invincible, because they never last longer than a couple minutes next to me, they only survive if I run ahead by a few dozen meters and clear the room before they get there.

And mind you, the above points were only brought to light because of the level-specific Achievements 343 put in. I got them all in my first tries for most, and after too-many tries with one, but I probably wouldn't have paid the A.I. as much attention as I did without those Achievements.

But for the positives - again, the visuals were amazing, and I really did enjoy the fast-pace flow of the game, and you really felt like a two-person army who could handle anything the galaxy could throw your way, and not have everything go according to plan perfectly. The character models and animations, the cutscenes, incredible. And I loved the connection between the Chief and Cortana throughout the game.

Bravo 343, an excellent effort for the beginning of a new trilogy. Time for bed.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
ggs enzo, too bad about those laggy last ones we lost by a hair...and damn that tie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ggs enzo, too bad about those laggy last ones we lost by a hair...and damn that tie.
Ties hurt my soul. :( I'm like 8 away from that 117. Gonna grind out the rest tonight perhaps.

GGs dude. We were running with pretty good guys most of the time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ties hurt my soul. :( I'm like 8 away from that 117. Gonna grind out the rest tonight perhaps.

GGs dude. We were running with pretty good guys most of the time.

Another friend of mine was in the party and the last slot was some random guy who also did fairly well.

Eh my wife and some friends felt it was the strongest.

Subjectivity.

Agreed. It's my favorite FPS campaign. Enjoyed the story immensely.

Im with you guys on this.

As a Halo super nerd (of books) i was ABSOLUTELY SMITTEN by the game's story and small touches 343 put into the game to connect to the books. Not to mention all the forerunner stuff! (They showed MC as a boy with dark hair and freckles, just like FoR described him as! yaaaay)

Halo 2, 3, Reach... wow bad stories. (especially Reach, Bungie absolutely shit on the halo canon with that game)

1, ODST and Wars imo were all great though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'll only know how good the game is after I replay it again on Legendary, then a few more times (if its even that good). Replayability is something huge for Halo campaigns for me. Halo is the only franchise where I replay the campaign in.

I'll only know how good the game is after I replay it again on Legendary, then a few more times (if its even that good). Replayability is something huge for Halo campaigns for me. Halo is the only franchise where I replay the campaign in.
Yep. Playing through campaign and Spartan Ops missions a second time, on legendary as a duo or trio really changes things up more than I would have thought originally. I think the replayability is there for the most part, but its not apparent in the first run through. You start to notice the weapon caches available that you probably missed, the dropped weapons, alternate routes in the environment, and how you can employ different team tactics to attack form several angles or employ a convoy of different vehicles at once.

Just finished up this weeks episode of Spartan Ops and holy shit was that intense. Just me and my co-op buddy moving through he maps and unleashing hell. Even though we played on heroic the sheer scale of the battles keeps things going at full tilt. We're getting almost psychic now with our plays, and that'll will help when we redo them in legendary. One chapter in particular is pretty much guaranteed to kick our ass.

And God do I love the shotgun in a target rich environment like Spartan Ops. Especially when you have a teammate or two to help split up the enemy or focus fire on commander units. So good.

pringles

Goddamn campaign is so tedious. These new forerunner enemies suck...
Yeah tedious is the best way to describe them. Bullet sponges that can teleport out of existance for several seconds, who have very quickly recharging shields and extremely cowardly flying allies that gives them hardlight shields and can revive them? And most of them seem to have one-hit kill melee attacks if you get close. I'll fight the flood over proms every day.

Even on solo legendary the biggest challenge with them is that it's easy to empty 4-5 weapons against say, 2 prom knights and 2 watchers.

So I hear the story for 4 is a lot better compared to the previous ones especially 2/3. Do people here feel the same way?

I mostly gave up on console gaming long time back, but thinking of picking it up for my love of Halo

Yeah tedious is the best way to describe them. Bullet sponges that can teleport out of existance for several seconds, who have very quickly recharging shields and extremely cowardly flying allies that gives them hardlight shields and can revive them? And most of them seem to have one-hit kill melee attacks if you get close. I'll fight the flood over proms every day.

Even on solo legendary the biggest challenge with them is that it's easy to empty 4-5 weapons against say, 2 prom knights and 2 watchers.

So Knights are basically Dark Pirate Commandos only there's no Light Beam+Dark Visor combo to take them down quickly with.

Woorloog

Banned
So I hear the story for 4 is a lot better compared to the previous ones especially 2/3. Do people here feel the same way?

I mostly gave up on console gaming long time back, but thinking of picking it up for my love of Halo

Better than 3, ODST or Reach for sure. Better than 2? No chance.

Crazyorloco

They story in halo 4 is great. Check out the terminals you'll learn lots more.

I kinda wish 343 had more time with the game, I feel like the game wasn't fully cooked upon release. Why aren't the terminals videos in the game? What's up with the MP specializations? I think that should have been ready Day One.

Still this is my favorite halo game. I had a blast last night playing infinity slayer, and just finished the campaign again (this time solo/legendary) Now to tackle Spartan ops.

OrangeOak

Frank thankfully did respond to my PM, asking if the problem had been fixed yet, but sadly it still hasn't. No Spartan Ops, no challenges, no commendations, ugh.

You can leave you GT and some other information here: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst152022p39_-OFFICIAL--I-cannot-connect-to-servers-Thread.aspx
There is a lot of people with the same problem as we have.
There is some response from 343:
Forum Team
Monitor
There are a few hundred players who have been unable to connect to our servers since yesterday. We're investigating now and hope to have an update soon. If you are experiencing this issue, we'd appreciate knowing your gamertag and what region you're in, as this will help us with our investigation. Thank you in advance for any additional insight you can provide.

and

We're sure most of you have already done this, but if you have not, please restart your console, as this will help some of you get out of the fallback hoppers. Regardless of the results, please let us know if this resolves your issues.

We are continuing to investigate those of you who are experiencing this problem - if you have not yet provided your gamertag and region, please do so, as this allows us to look into your specific situation.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Today it is third day in a row when I can't play my Halo 4.

Several seconds is over exaggeration, I suspect it's less than 1.5 seconds. The Watchers should also be the #1 enemy to take out during an encounter because of their ability to back up the other Prometheans. During my Legendary Solo run, I literally think I allowed a Watcher to revive an enemy ONE TIME, and I was pissed I let it happen.

4-5 weapons? Wha? I'm using the LR as the example below as you have access to that weapon a a good majority of the game while fighting Promethean enemies.

LR can hold max ammo of 120 bullets, or 40 trigger pulls while scoped in.

IIRC, Watchers take 4 (5?) trigger pulls while scoped-in with the LR to take down. That's 12-15 bullets each, so 24-30 total.

120 - 30 = 90 bullets remaining to take out the 2 Knights. Knights on Legendary take an entire clip to drain their shield, so that's 36 rounds + 2 more trigger pulls to remove the helmet then a headshot, bringing the total to 42 bullets. 90 - 42 = 48 bullets remaining, allowing you some wiggle room to take down the last Knight.

This of course assumes you hit with just about every single trigger pull with the LR, which more than likely doesn't happen. But an encounter with 2 Watchers and 2 Knights should certainly not drain away 4-5 weapons, unless of course you're carrying garbage weapons. Carrying anything other than some type of Rifle and a Plasma Pistol, or a Power Weapon (Sniper/Rockets/Shotgun/Needler) is your own doing.

All that being said, the campaign on Legendary Solo can definitely be goddamn tedious at times. But, having fought Flood for 3 games, I more than welcome the new Promethean Enemies.

LosDaddie

Banned
So this Challenge:

Got Backup

Type: War Games

Get 12 kills with a Secondary Weapon.​

means that all I need to do is a play a game (or 2) and just use my secondary weapon, right? Not all 12 kills in a single match.

So this Challenge:

means that all I need to do is a play a game (or 2) and just use my secondary weapon, right? Not all 12 kills in a single match.

Correct, the challenge will usually specify if you have to do it in a single match.

That being said, you could easily do this in a single game of SWAT with the magnum.

What happens when you hit level 50? I'm almost there as well....like I can reach 50 with just a few games tonight.
You choose one of the two Specializations to enlist in that comes with the standard edition of the game, Wetwork or Operator. I'm nearing the end of Wetwork, and would rather go for Rouge (which pretty much eliminates the flinch when being shot) over Operator. No email yet, so I may slow it down and either mess with forge or play this week's campaign mission for the Weekly Challenge.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What the fuck is the point of the plasma charge pistol when the bolt shot overcharge is the same thing but it's a one hit kill?

Close up firefights on smaller maps (where close up firefights are gonna happen all the time) are just mutually assured destruction half the time when everyone picks plasma grenades.

Some of the add ons in loadout are beyond retarded. The shield charging one? Why would anyone give half a shit that their shield charges a little bit faster when there's still like a 5 second no-shield time? I'm almost never in a situation where this would be useful. Maybe like once every couple games someone snags me in that .5 second window it takes for my shield to go back to full.

kill cam is either borked or people are hitting me with mindblowingly mis-aimed shots (especially with the bolt shot overcharge and other one hit kill weapons for some reason).

Does the King in Regicide automatically get a tiny bit of extra shield or something (I'm not talking about the timed overshield thing)? When I'm the King I always somehow get out of some shit I shouldn't have, and I also find it incredibly hard to kill non-overshielded kings even when I get the drop on them by several rounds.

Why in Regicide are there a bunch of people who just hide in one spot with invisibility and then assassinate you from behind as you pass? They never win games just sitting in one spot for minutes at a time. K/D? I don't get it.

Why in Regicide are there a bunch of people who just hide in one spot with invisibility and then assassinate you from behind as you pass? They never win games just sitting in one spot for minutes at a time. K/D? I don't get it.
It's not just Regicide where this happens, and it's mostly for the assassination commendation that gets you this:

250px-mjolnir_venator9psni.png

Camo is fucking horrible to have as a persistent AA. It should go back to being a powerup and something you can at least call down in Ordnance.

Pooya

What the fuck is the point of the plasma charge pistol when the bolt shot overcharge is the same thing but it's a one hit kill?

Plasma Pistol is EMP, it disables vehicles and shields, Boltshot is a shotgun, you have to be very close, Does it kill in one shot? I think you have to melee afterwards to kill someone with it as it only brings down the shields.

Some of the add ons in loadout are beyond retarded. The shield charging one? Why would anyone give half a shit that their shield charges a little bit faster when there's still like a 5 second no-shield time? I'm almost never in a situation where this would be useful. Maybe like once every couple games someone snags me in that .5 second window it takes for my shield to go back to full.

It's useful in some modes, usually when you have a waypoint on your head >.>

kill cam is either borked or people are hitting me with mindblowingly mis-aimed shots (especially with the bolt shot overcharge and other one hit kill weapons for some reason).

killcam isn't an accurate showing of how you died yeah. useless anyway.

probably because it's a bad idea to take the lead early on, you likely won't survive and can't catch up to others, I think it's better to sit it out at first.

Plasma Pistol is EMP, it disables vehicles and shields, Boltshot is a shotgun, you have to be very close, Does it kill in one shot? I think you have to melee afterwards to kill someone with it as it only brings down the shields.

It's useful in some modes, usually when you have a waypoint on your head >.>

killcam isn't an accurate showing of how you died yeah. useless anyway.

probably because it's a bad idea to take the lead early on, you likely won't survive and can't catch up to others, I think it's better to sit it out at first.

Boltshot can 1-shot kill.

Top Bottom