• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

LosDaddie

Banned
Correct, the challenge will usually specify if you have to do it in a single match.

That being said, you could easily do this in a single game of SWAT with the magnum.

Thanks. I guess it's a couple games of SWAT for me.

You choose one of the two Specializations to enlist in that comes with the standard edition of the game, Wetwork or Operator. I'm nearing the end of Wetwork, and would rather go for Rouge (which pretty much eliminates the flinch when being shot) over Operator. No email yet, so I may slow it down and either mess with forge or play this week's campaign mission for the Weekly Challenge.

I bought the LE. Which specialization should I go for? Do I need to wear the armor?

I looked them up, and yeah, I may go for the Rogue or Pioneer.

pringles

Several seconds is over exaggeration, I suspect it's less than 1.5 seconds. The Watchers should also be the #1 enemy to take out during an encounter because of their ability to back up the other Prometheans. During my Legendary Solo run, I literally think I allowed a Watcher to revive an enemy ONE TIME, and I was pissed I let it happen.

4-5 weapons? Wha? I'm using the LR as the example below as you have access to that weapon a a good majority of the game while fighting Promethean enemies.

LR can hold max ammo of 120 bullets, or 40 trigger pulls while scoped in.

IIRC, Watchers take 4 (5?) trigger pulls while scoped-in with the LR to take down. That's 12-15 bullets each, so 24-30 total.

120 - 30 = 90 bullets remaining to take out the 2 Knights. Knights on Legendary take an entire clip to drain their shield, so that's 36 rounds + 2 more trigger pulls to remove the helmet then a headshot, bringing the total to 42 bullets. 90 - 42 = 48 bullets remaining, allowing you some wiggle room to take down the last Knight.

This of course assumes you hit with just about every single trigger pull with the LR, which more than likely doesn't happen. But an encounter with 2 Watchers and 2 Knights should certainly not drain away 4-5 weapons, unless of course you're carrying garbage weapons. Carrying anything other than some type of Rifle and a Plasma Pistol, or a Power Weapon (Sniper/Rockets/Shotgun/Needler) is your own doing.

All that being said, the campaign on Legendary Solo can definitely be goddamn tedious at times. But, having fought Flood for 3 games, I more than welcome the new Promethean Enemies.
Come to think of it I've done several levels (such as the 3rd one I think, "Forerunner") with skulls such as Mythic or Tilt to get the challenges, and I think those add some extra resistance to enemies. Also on that level you don't really have a huge supply of ammo or power weapons.

I think you kinda prove by doing that breakdown just how tedious they are to fight. That's A LOT of shots even if you hit every single bullet. Add into that how Watchers fly off out of sight as soon as they take 2 or 3 hits, and if you're up against 2+ watchers they can alternate so you shoot one, almost take it down but it gets away, shoot another one, almost take it down, the previous one comes back with what I'm guessing is a recharged shield, rinse and repeat.

Prom knights also have a tendency to flee when they start getting low on health, or do that teleporting thing, which seems to allow them time to restore some of their shields.

Some of the add ons in loadout are beyond retarded. The shield charging one? Why would anyone give half a shit that their shield charges a little bit faster when there's still like a 5 second no-shield time? I'm almost never in a situation where this would be useful. Maybe like once every couple games someone snags me in that .5 second window it takes for my shield to go back to full.
WHaaaa? I only use Shielding. Tried some loadouts without it and felt crippled and kept dying because my shield didn't recharge in time between encounters. In previous Halos it might not have been so useful, but 4 is so hectic and with no respawn time literally means that you can kill a guy and he can respawn and kill you before your shield has charged back up. The shielding perk saves my ass multiple times every match, and allows me to get back into the action just a little faster, which can be a difference maker.

I bought the LE. Which specialization should I go for? Do I need to wear the armor?

I looked them up, and yeah, I may go for the Rogue or Pioneer.
I would have gone for Rogue from the start if I had access to it. From what I hear, flinch is completely taken away once you get the ability to use it (which comes after you 'master' the Specialization, aka go through all 10 levels).

daedalius

Come to think of it I've done several levels (such as the 3rd one I think, "Forerunner") with skulls such as Mythic or Tilt to get the challenges, and I think those add some extra resistance to enemies. Also on that level you don't really have a huge supply of ammo or power weapons.

I think you kinda prove by doing that breakdown just how tedious they are to fight. That's A LOT of shots even if you hit every single bullet. Add into that how Watchers fly off out of sight as soon as they take 2 or 3 hits, and if you're up against 2+ watchers they can alternate so you shoot one, almost take it down but it gets away, shoot another one, almost take it down, the previous one comes back with what I'm guessing is a recharged shield, rinse and repeat.

Prom knights also have a tendency to flee when they start getting low on health, or do that teleporting thing, which seems to allow them time to restore some of their shields.

I can't tell, but are you upset that the enemies are attempting self-preservation?

Do you want them to roar and charge you when you take their shields down, like brutes? Because I'd rather them not.

I didn't really have much trouble solo-legendary.

I agree it's a bit tedious, IMO 343 should've made it so you'd be able to take down a Knight if you land every single shot with the LR scoped-in in a single clip, even on Legendary, given their dodging/teleportation.

As for the Watchers, I forced myself to only shoot ones I know I could kill without them flying away. I'd take a look at what cover they're close to, if any, and judge if I should engage them now or later when I have a better angle and I know they can't fly behind some piece of cover.

Thankfully the game gets pretty good about giving you a constant stream of ammo after Mission 3.

pringles

I can't tell, but are you upset that the enemies are attempting self-preservation?

Do you want them to roar and charge you when you take their shields down, like brutes? Because I'd rather them not.

I didn't really have much trouble solo-legendary.
I kinda think the AI is a little too self-preservative, and it's too predictable especially the way watchers instantly turn and flee as soon as they come under fire.

I haven't had much 'trouble' solo on legendary either, only done the first 3 levels though but each with one of Mythic/Thunderstorm/Tilt activated and even then it's not been very difficult. Just tedious.

Raide

Still enjoying SpartanOps but they really need to ramp up the variety. I am guessing when the new map appear they will end up in the Ops.Would like to see something other than button pressing and running to arrows.

daedalius

I kinda think the AI is a little too self-preservative, and it's too predictable especially the way watchers instantly turn and flee as soon as they come under fire.

I haven't had much 'trouble' solo on legendary either, only done the first 3 levels though but each with one of Mythic/Thunderstorm/Tilt activated and even then it's not been very difficult. Just tedious.

You turn on 3 things to massively increase enemy health, and then you complain about the game being tedious.

/mindblown

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I turn on my Xbox today for the first time in two weeks, and decide to play some Halo...

My campaign progress and customized load outs have been deleted. Again. Turned the Xbox off immediately. What the hell is going on?

Fuck the Motion Sensor. Fuck that broken POS. Jesus Christ, you should only show up when you fire a weapon ala EVERY OTHER SHOOTER WITH COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Goddamn, 343.

Any particular reason as to why sarah palmer is so fucking mean? I really hate her and hope she gets killed off.

The overall writing in Spartan-Ops is pretty terrible IMO. Damn those those science types and eggheads.

They wrote her to be some caricature of the strong, no BS, military woman, and they've succeeded far too well.

TCKaos

Any particular reason as to why sarah palmer is so fucking mean? I really hate her and hope she gets killed off.

51ifP.png

zlatko

Banned
Anyone want to trade me a code for either the Best Buy pre order DLC armor or the Locus Helm, for my Nuketown DLC code for Black Ops 2? (Prefer the Locus helm)

daedalius

Fuck the Motion Sensor. Fuck that broken POS. Jesus Christ, you should only show up when you fire a weapon ala EVERY OTHER SHOOTER WITH COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Goddamn, 343.

So just about everyone is bitching that 343 changed too much, and now you want them to change the motion tracker into a COD radar? Change something that has basically been the same since Halo CE?

I mean, it could work for some gametypes I guess; maybe more for some of the no-radar playlists rather than everywhere. Your teammates could show up all the time, but enemies only when they shoot.

Lima

I would have gone for Rogue from the start if I had access to it. From what I hear, flinch is completely taken away once you get the ability to use it (which comes after you 'master' the Specialization, aka go through all 10 levels).

Yeah but since I had to give up my ammo perk for it , I now constantly run out of ammo.

So to clarify, the specializations don't unlock more tactical or support perks, correct? They each have one passive perk you get when you master the specialization? So if you mastered all of them, you can have all 7 activated at once?

So to clarify, the specializations don't unlock more tactical or support perks, correct? They each have one passive perk you get when you master the specialization? So if you mastered all of them, you can have all 7 activated at once?

Nope they are tactical and support perks gained when you complete the spec so you'll have to replace dat mobility/dexterity :p

Nope they are tactical and support perks gained when you complete the spec so you'll have to replace dat mobility/dexterity :p

Nooooo Dexterity 4 LYFE! I'm not married to Fire Power if there's something better, though. Do you get both a tactical and support per specialization? or just one of the two?

You can leave you GT and some other information here: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst152022p39_-OFFICIAL--I-cannot-connect-to-servers-Thread.aspx
There is a lot of people with the same problem as we have.
There is some response from 343:

and

Today it is third day in a row when I can't play my Halo 4.

Thanks, I just posted my info there. That thread currently has over 1,000 replies. Wow.

It's pretty fucking annoying that I'm not going to get the monthly challenge now.

All the levels are designed with it being a MOTION sensor and not a shot sensor or whatever. The reason it works in CoD is because the levels in that game are smaller and it's almost always 1 shot kills. Even though Halo is becoming more like CoD they're not at 1 shot kills yet and the levels are too big for it to be anything other than a motion sensor.

Raxus

I haven't been able to access the new playlists for whatever reason. I am stuck with the default playlists and it says I can't connect to the Halo 4 servers. There are only 200 people max on the default playlists. What is going on?

Okay, so after giving black ops 2 the boot, I've come back to the mp of this game and the following things prevent it from being great:

1. BoltShot: Dumb. Very Dumb. I've been outranged by a shotgun.
2. Lag: These type of games REQUIRE dedicated servers. I feel when I'm host, the auto-aim kicks up a notch and I can't miss, but when I have even a 200 ms ping, the opposite happens. It's not "unplayable laggy" most of the time, but it completely demolishes any sense of high level play, where, for instance, getting that first shot off should be the difference between winning and losing.
3. Autoaim: like I mentioned before appears extremely sporadic. It's probably lag, but it could be something else. Some games my aim locks on the enemy and he can jump and I'll still get the head shot without having to aim much, but other times, if the enemy is wobbling back and forth, the autoaim appears to just give up. Honestly, I'd prefer they get rid of it all together. If I miss, I miss. If he jumps, I shouldn't get the headshot just by flinging my aim in the air. Maybe then Swat would be somewhat interesting. Along with the autoaim, flinching appears just as sporadic. Sometimes my aim veers way up, other times it doesn't budge. If it doesn't budge, I know I must have some magic power the enemy doesn't and 90% of the time, I win the fight.
4. Not nearly enough maps, at all. If you're gonna split your map count in half for every gametype, then you need to double the map count to compensate. And, honestly, the best maps are symmetrical. I really feel like they put half the effort into the symmetrical maps yet got twice the results.
5. The radar really does ruin the game in many ways. It promotes camping when it should be doing the opposite. And it's range and perfect 30fps accuracy means there is no excitement and the aggressor is going to get a grenade in the face if he decides to turn that corner and come at me. At the very least, the radar's range should be halved or make it so it does not tell my what level the enemy is at, so I can be somewhat unsure of myself, rather than literally stare at the radar the entire time and know everything that I need to know every second of this game.

Overdoziz

Banned
Actually, I wouldn't mind a radar that shows people when they're shooting instead of when they're moving. That way people can move around freely without having to worry about people around corners seeing them coming.
Of course, having no radar at all is still the best.

2. Lag: These type of games REQUIRE dedicated servers. I feel when I'm host, the auto-aim kicks up a notch and I can't miss, but when I have even a 200 ms ping, the opposite happens. It's not "unplayable laggy" most of the time, but it completely demolishes any sense of high level play, where, for instance, getting that first shot off should be the difference between winning and losing.

How can you tell when you're host?

4. Not nearly enough maps, at all. If you're gonna split your map count in half for every gametype, then you need to double the map count to compensate. And, honestly, the best maps are symmetrical. I really feel like they put half the effort into the symmetrical maps yet got twice the results.
There are three DLC maps coming in two weeks and three existing Forge maps that haven't been implemented into matchmaking yet. Even so - the H4 maps are way better than the Reach maps and even better than H3 maps as well. This is of course just my opinion and having purchased the limited edition I've already paid for the DLC maps while you may have not.

Striker

Radar isn't generally good in Slayer, and it's especially worse in this case because of all the ordnance drops, specific AA's like Camo, and having a Mauler as a secondary weapon. I don't typically mind it in Team Skirmish/Objective games, though, but who cares about that now in Halo 4 with its strategy thrown out the window.

Crazyorloco

5. the radar really does ruin the game in many ways. It promotes camping when it should be doing the opposite. And it's range and perfect 30fps accuracy means there is no excitement and the aggressor is going to get a grenade in the face if he decides to turn that corner and come at me. At the very least, the radar's range should be halved or make it so it does not tell my what level the enemy is at, so I can be somewhat unsure of myself, rather than literally stare at the radar the entire time and know everything that I need to know every second of this game.

Motion sensor/radar is fine to me. When I see a red dot I'm more cautious. And I go to the dot, usually the person goes to me too. We're moving, not camping. If I see the dot disappear, I know they're standing.

Set stationary weapons promote camping more in my opinion. I remember the days of people waiting for swords/rockets to appear and then hiding in a spot to wait for a kill for the entire game. I think camping is less prevalent in Halo 4. I don't see people holding areas down for the entire game session. People stay in areas for less tine.

Top Bottom