• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

TUROK

tumblr_ma2h6aQn5c1rry6lao1_1280.jpg

523527_412861538761965_66252571_n.jpg

Why is concept art always much cooler than the final product? I hope Halo 5's Prometheans look more like this.

exYle

If Spartan Ops is going on a mid-season break, do you think there's any chance of putting the older episodes back in matchmaking at legendary difficulty?

Is there a confirmed break? I know they have something at the VGAs, but since that's this Friday when the trailers are released anyways, I figured they'd just put out a mid-season trailer.

Why is concept art always much cooler than the final product? I hope Halo 5's Prometheans look more like this.

I agree, and it also serves to add some more visual identity amongst the Knights. Daddy Longarms there could carry the Incineration Cannon, or maybe a Forerunner melee weapon, whilst the Cyclops could be the sniper class.

JB1981

People think the automatic weapons are OP? If anything they are underpowered. But Legendary Solo may of screwed my opinion. The Storm Rifle is better than i expected in MP.

The AR has slightly too much power at mid-range, IMO.

The auto weapons in this halo are the best the series has ever had especially in balance between all the guns, while some minor tweaks should happen here and there it's one of the best weapon lineups since the first game.

Fuchsdh

The auto weapons in this halo are the best the series has ever had especially in balance between all the guns, while some minor tweaks should happen here and there it's one of the best weapon lineups since the first game.

I mostly agree, although I'd still prolly be happier with less redundancy in the weapons though (3 repeaters, 4 rifles, etc.)

Making the Promethean weapons more alien and perhaps harder to use/more powerful would have been an interesting choice, although I understand (and disagree) with their "make weapons look like what they do".

We're sadly never going to get as slim and simple a sandbox as Halo CE. It's just the nature of games.

Mindwipe

Is there a confirmed break? I know they have something at the VGAs, but since that's this Friday when the trailers are released anyways, I figured they'd just put out a mid-season trailer..

Dunno, that's why I said "if", seems a lot of speculation so far.

DangerStepp

I only have 12 hours or so in MP; it's not quite as comfortable as past Halo titles.

Feels really different and it's a little hard to get acclimated when it was so easy to jump into before.

Are they going to patch in grenade damage? Grenades do not work as God made them to in this game.

Is it just me or are the chances of taking on 2 guys by yourself in a skirmish and being successful slimmer than before?

That's all I am saying. It allows for way to many cheap kills. Most of the time by another player, not the one you are engaging with.

Automatic weapons do not need a nerf, you need to stop encroaching on their effective range with a DMR, or just run from the encounter.

C'mon, people. The first Halo ever to have competent automatic weapons in MP and all you want is nerfs nerfs nerfs

Have you played the game? You have entire teams now just running laps around the maps spraying. What I want is to have a chance in a one on one battle. That's Halo. Not teams whipping by just spraying and throwing grenades. Of course then they all wind up with Saws somehow. The AR especially has long range. There is supposed to be a negative to a auto matic weapon, its supposed to be weaker because it requires a lot less skill.

JB1981

Have you played the game? You have entire teams now just running laps around the maps spraying. What I want is to have a chance in a one on one battle. That's Halo. Not teams whipping by just spraying and throwing grenades. Of course then they all wind up with Saws somehow. The AR especially has long range. There is supposed to be a negative to a auto matic weapon, its supposed to be weaker because it requires a lot less skill.

True. Go back to Reach and try spam the AR at the same distance used in Halo 4. You will never get a kill.

exYle

You say all you want are 1v1 battles, yet your frustration stems from teams with automatic rifles. From my point of view, this seems like your bad luck running into groups of people shooting at you at simultaneously with automatic weapons. Unfortunately, numbers will always have a significant advantage over skill in this game (unless you have a power weapon), and multiple people shooting at you will be stressful whether they have ARs or Carbines. Or are you suggesting you cannot win a mid range 1v1 duel vs. an AR?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It is weaker, it's effective range is not as great as the DMR or BR. How hard is it to comprehend automatic weapons being more powerful in close-to-mid quarters?

Other players didn't spawn with DMRs and BRs in reach when you could spawn with an AR.

True but there are 2 ways to look at it.
1) In Reach, even with a Pistol you would have taken the guy out
2) Maybe you shouldn't have every weapon in the game in play at once because it is hard to balance. You would not have had this in any other Halo because everyone has the same primary/secondary.

Its basic 2 weapon Halo that they broke. You had to deal with whatever was on the map because you had the same shit as everyone else. Now you have a map full of spammers. This happens even in Team Slayer because of the Sprint/AR/Melee

It is weaker, it's effective range is not as great as the DMR or BR. How hard is it to comprehend automatic weapons being more powerful in close-to-mid quarters?

Its not weaker if you are spamming sprint/camo and carrying 2 auto weapons. If you are being rushed down you have not chance mid/close with a DMR. What I am saying is this is the nature of the imbalance. Chances are you did not encounter an AR spammer in Reach because everyone had the same weapons spawns. Think about it, AR starts you would probably have to finish a guy off with the pistol in past Halo's. Not the guy has a suppressor and a shotgun(boltshot) right in his loadout. How is that not op? Even if he is a wingman he is picking up kills from cleaning up just from spamming.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Its not weaker if you are spamming sprint/camo and carrying 2 auto weapons. If you are being rushed down you have not chance mid/close with a DMR. What I am saying is this is the nature of the imbalance. Chances are you did not encounter an AR spammer in Reach because everyone had the same weapons spawns. Think about it, AR starts you would probably have to finish a guy off with the pistol in past Halo's. Not the guy has a suppressor and a shotgun(boltshot) right in his loadout. How is that not op? Even if he is a wingman he is picking up kills from cleaning up just from spamming.
I don't even understand the argument your trying to make here.

If the auto user is sprinting, the disengaging from sprint animation is enough time for the semi-automatic user to start firing. And because kill times do not differ that much from AR to semi-automatics, the semi-automatic user will still win if he fires first. Unless the automatic user got the drop on them first, in which case the comparison of guns doesn't matter anyways.

Camo is a plague on ALL encounters, it gives advantage to the user if they catch the enemy first, regardless if they're using an auto weapon or not. If someone has the BR and fires a split second first in that same range, they will get the kill.

And I don't understand the constant references to Reach. Different sandbox, one where they shat on automatic weapons anyways and they were pretty close to useless if you had to use a secondary weapon to reliably finish someone off anyways. You didn't encounter an AR spammer in reach because the AR was shit and the pace was not as fast as it is in Halo 4.

Boltshot needs tweaking yes, but that's besides the rifle argument.

The AR actually works in this game and is something that should be feared in close quarters, which is fine by me. If you're losing to them maybe you need to keep your distance more? If you're getting rushed, don't you have the advantage from landing shots while being sprinted at?

zlatko

Banned
The AR actually works in this game and is something that should be feared in close quarters, which is fine by me. If you're losing to them maybe you need to keep your distance more? If you're getting rushed, don't you have the advantage from landing shots while being sprinted at?

Plus there is stopping power in this game to slow down rushers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is exactly what I'm saying. The disengaging from sprint animation actually gives you an advantage, especially if you have a BR at that range. You see this happen all the time on Haven, one of the smallest maps.

the only things right now that i wish were different about multi (infinity slayer is what i play)

fix the damn sticky det. and needler on haven. i can't believe they're still stuck in the map.

and i'm kinda indifferent either way, but i sorta miss the 5 second respawn time.

exYle

the only things right now that i wish were different about multi (infinity slayer is what i play)

fix the damn sticky det. and needler on haven. i can't believe they're still stuck in the map.

and i'm kinda indifferent either way, but i sorta miss the 5 second respawn time.

This does suck, I agree, but the first time I stared at the ground where a Sticky Det was supposed to be, I laughed my ass off.

Is this a high level thing? I am a level 25 and I rarely see people doing this. Hell, most of the time I feel like I am the only one using the AR.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So you have to be level 55 to unlock LE specializations? Because I put in the code but nothing
Once you get to level 50, your done regular levels and have to pick from a specialization for the next 10 levels. Without a code, you will only have access to 2. With the code, you have access to about 8.

Press start, press up and select specializations. If you have more than 2, that means the code worked.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
To a lot of people, classic Halo is solely one headshot weapon, the power weapons, and a small, symmetrical map.
I'm one of those people, but even I think the new AR is perfect. It's powerful at short range, but is consistently bested by the precision rifles at medium range and beyond. I don't want it in purist competitive settings or anything, but I love the role it plays in the larger sandbox.

GamerSoul

Yea, I'm surprise that little glitch is still in there. I need my sticky detonater.

Very true, if your confident with your DMR/BR you can take out any AR rusher if you keep your distance and land your headshots though. AR is definitely a beast close quarters.

DangerStepp

Could someone just tell me the 'ultimate' load out agreed upon?

I really don't care about this customizable load out crap. I just want to play some Slayer on Halo.

Everdred

I really miss the 5 second respawn timer, it made the game more exciting. It made me care more about the life I was currently on. Who cares if you die if you can immediately pop back into gameplay and most likely run to your killers position and kill him.

I really don't care about this customizable load out crap. I just want to play some Slayer on Halo.
A simple loadout I'd recommend is either DMR or Battle Rifle primary (your preference), Magnum secondary, Frag grenades, Thrust Pack as your armor ability, with Mobility (endless sprint) and Dexterity (quick reloads/weapon swaps) as perks. Its as vanilla as you can get in this game and you may just keep it long term. But if you end up wanting to make changes its a solid baseline.

For Big Team Games swap out the magnum with plasma pistol and frags with plasma grenades and you're just as viable.

Everdred

Could someone just tell me the 'ultimate' load out agreed upon?

After 150 hours of Halo 4, I would say:
DMR
Bolt Shot
Thruster Pack
Human Grenades
Mobility
Ammo

DangerStepp

I really miss the 5 second respawn timer, it made the game more exciting. It made me care more about the life I was currently on. Who cares if you die if you can immediately pop back into gameplay and most likely run to your killers position and kill him.
We sound like old codgers, but I agree.

Also, it keeps me from going on tilt; it was a time-out to catch your breath and regroup in your mind.

Here, I go on tilt and become a 'X' pressing monster and end up dying more than I would normally just because I'm out for blood.

A simple loadout I'd recommend is either DMR or Battle Rifle primary (your preference), Magnum secondary, Thrust Pack as AA, with Mobility and Dexterity as perks. Its as vanilla as you can get in this game and you may just keep it long term. But if you end up wanting to make changes it s a good baseline.
I appreciate it.

You wouldn't recommend the grenade damage upgrade because they're extremely weak?

Grenades are literally the last thing I use now when in battle; they do nothing if you run upon a group and you're outnumbered. You're dead.

I would say:
DMR
Bolt Shot
Thruster Pack
Human Grenades
Mobility
Ammo
This is more or less what I have now, save the thruster for the jetpack.

Everdred

Also, it keeps me from going on tilt; it was a time-out to catch your breath and regroup in your mind.

Here, I go on tilt and become a 'X' pressing monster and end up dying more than I would normally just because I'm out for blood.
I don't think I've watched a Kill Cam since the first day, I just manically push X. Even when I want to change load outs my muscle memory kicks in and hits X before I can do anything. Usually takes me 2-3 deaths before I can force myself to change load outs.

You wouldn't recommend the grenade damage upgrade because they're extremely weak?
Everything that has a perk for it is tuned to be weak without it. I use the explosives perk for maps where I expect to spend most of my time running through corridors, otherwise I use ammo or dexterity as my go-to perks. Awareness comes in real handy if you expect a lot of long range gun fights.

Eh, Im not a fan of the Knight design that we have either, but I don't think those look right either.. Maybe if there were some old ones around ruins that were left uncared for and were falling apart.. Still, I hope the Promethean Knights get a huge makeover in the future, they just do not do it for me design wise. Of all the options they had with Halo 4 we wound up with those things.. They definitely need more variety in visuals and actions as well and a new 'species' or two would go a long ways. Hell, at this point bring back the Flood for variety would be nice.

The other thing I noticed about the team modes is it doesn't encourage team play at all. Your only real motivation for player until the end is the XP. Winning really does not give you that much XP neither does your score. In Halo 3 the ranking system kept people wanting to win. People were frequently wearing mics because if you died a lot there was consequence.

When you look at the team stats its not uncommon for the higher scoring players to actually be negative on their k/d ratio. They should change the XP given to be more balanced for winning teams.

Like Halo 3 there should be a penalty, XP or otherwise for being negative. This applies to the spammers I keep complaining about and would encourage more team play.

In their defense though its not like there is a Rumble Pit playlist so its not a shock that there are so many lone wolves.

Striker

People do wear mics these days, but they're always in parties. And the EXP penalty was pretty pointless. You weren't docked anything unless you played Ranked, and you only saw it online in Bungie's stat page.

People like to win and don't like losing much. If you want your team to win, your best bet is to work as a team. Move as a team, fire in fire-teams, acquire and consolidate the power weapons and vehicles. Take the best ground and make the other team have to come to you.

Why does everything have to be XP driven? This isn't work. Its not a second job. People who don't find the core gameplay fun or that require a grind to stay focused just aren't people that I'd want to play with anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
wtf is with the MP map that shows a Needler on the upper level but has the weapon never to be found? Annoying bugs get me killed.

I am LOVING Halo matchmaking. It is just so darn fun.

Not everything is balanced, but it's balanced enough to be fun. Sometimes I get the Gauss hog (and a good driver), other times I can't get anything going between being sniped, rocketed and vehicle bullied. The payout is about evenly spaced where I can have my angry moments worth it because I have pure joy in giving that pain to others.

Having no expectations from the beginning really helped my perception I think. I was NOT expecting anything, and still don't expect anything from 343. However, they always surprise me and make me feel really great for paying full price. SpOps is just a little repetitive, but the cutscenes are amazing.

Scirrocco

A question about specializations

Is it true that if you didn't play it at release, and didn't get the LE, then the only way to unlock more then two specializations is to buy the upcoming map pack? Which basically makes it so you have to pay to get an advantage?

I don't have the game yet, but, if true, it sounds like a pretty bad decision.

Top Bottom