• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

The operator perk is a joke, not worth using at all. sure it cuts plasma pistol time, but its so easy to stick warthogs it doesn't even matter. Since everyone can spawn with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades, its only a matter of time (a short amount of time) that any half competent team can remove even the most skilled warthog driver
The gauss hog is also a joke, totally imbalanced and shouldn't exist in matchmaking unless its retooled

edit: balance is regarding the standard warthog. Ghosts aren't nearly as affected due to the fact they have speed and manueverability, not to mention being a smaller target. Warthogs are big, clunky and have to maintain a reasonable speed to not flip over on the smallest pebble :p
Apart from the retooled sound of the Warthog (very irritating and overly loud), I find that it might be the best version of it so far. It strikes a nice balance between the death machine that it was in Halo 3 and the paper-thin death trap that it was in Reach.

I don't think there's anything that could make me want the Gauss 'hog in matchmaking. High velocity one-hit-kill vehicles have no place outside of campaign/FF/SpOps in my humble opinion.

You shouldnt have to grind for many hours to unlock a perk to balances vehicle gameplay and of course even with the perk you will still get demolished by plasma grenades. Reducing the plasma grenade count to 1 is a simple and obvious solution.

I dont know how the Scorpion keeps finding its way on maps. If a map has a tank it should always be the Wraith.
No you shouldn't, and I really dislike the trend that 343 is following. The only carrot on a stick I need is solid gameplay with as little randomness as can be allowed over xbl, not grinding for upgrades that end up changing the game for some and not others.

God party's of 5-8 are beasts. Sandwiched between two 18-4 games I was getting destroyed once I got matched up against these teams. 3-11, 4-15, 6-12. =(

Ramirez

Shouldn't your sadness be directed at the large percentage of the Matchmaking community that has chosen NOT to play Slayer Pro? Why blame 343?

Considering Slayer Pro had stupid stuff like instant respawns, and random global ordnance, I think we can partially blame 343 on this one.

Tawpgun

Considering Slayer Pro had stupid stuff like instant respawns, and random global ordnance, I think we can partially blame 343 on this one.

This.

Same reason to blame Bungie for its poor implementation of Arena in Reach. It got better as the game went on, but had a really poopy start.

Woorloog

Banned
343i, mind testing the DLC maps in splitscreen play as well? Shatter is unplayable due to framerate issues. COMPLETLY UNPLAYABLE! No matter where you are or what direction you and your friend are facing, the framerate is 20 or less at most. The default maps are pretty bad framerate-wise in splitscreen, but Shatter takes it to another level.

I'm really regretting getting the Limited Edition...

You can't, they're there to keep the aspect ratio correct. Been like this since Halo 3.
Some TV's have a "fill" mode that will stretch an image to fit the screen, but I have no idea if that would work in this case.

Unless Lamonster is using a monitor, then I got nuthin'.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Random ordinance is annoying but i love instant respawn just because i know 80 percent of the time my shitty teammates wont clean up my kills. Instant respawn will occasionally let me 'assist' myself. I actually enjoy that.

IHaveIce

Banned
Random ordinance is annoying but i love instant respawn just because i know 80 percent of the time my shitty teammates wont clean up my kills. Instant respawn will occasionally let me 'assist' myself. I actually enjoy that.

If you died and they clean up your kills what makes them shitty?

I really dislike this " Oh I can just respawn right now and the enemy is still shields down"-thing.

ugghhh I am so sick of plasma grenade starts in loadouts. Fucking ruining warthogs. Yes I will complain about this until they fix it. Make plasma grenades start with only 1 like pulse grenades. Make vehicles not so fucking EASY to stick, christ.

I can't agree with this enough. I'd say to just make preset loadouts for BTB and disable custom loadouts. That's probably the only way to do it since I don't see them disabling only part of your custom loadouts.

Each loadout would have Mobility (to get around the large maps faster) and Dexterity. PP's/Boltshots would be on the map and only the primaries/AA's would be different between loadouts (even though I'd rather have AA's on the map but that'll never happen).

No you shouldn't, and I really dislike the trend that 343 is following. The only carrot on a stick I need is solid gameplay with as little randomness as can be allowed over xbl, not grinding for upgrades that end up changing the game for some and not others.

Yup. 'Twas a sad day to see perks in Halo.

Ramirez

No, instant respawns are pretty terrible, especially when trying to create a competitive environment. You shouldn't get a free do over on the guy who you got one shot because he shit on you & your teammates didn't help.

burgerdog

Am I missing something in the spartan's ops lobby? The find game box says "find lobbies for the current episode" and I am only able to see one lobby for episode 5 chapter 1, the rest are previous ep / chapter lobbies.

Havok

Am I missing something in the spartan's ops lobby? The find game box says "find lobbies for the current episode" and I am only able to see one lobby for episode 5 chapter 1, the rest are previous ep / chapter lobbies.
The hopper for this week is a supposed "Best of Spartan Ops" deal, so it's not gonna be Episode 5. Mind you, a few of those missions are nowhere near Spartan Ops' best, so it's not an entirely accurate name. They'll be rotating the Episodes in week by week until Spartan Ops comes back from break in January, so next week will be Episode 1, the week after that Episode 2, and so on.

burgerdog

The hopper for this week is a supposed "Best of Spartan Ops" deal, so it's not gonna be Episode 5. Mind you, a few of those missions are nowhere near Spartan Ops' best, so it's not an entirely accurate name. They'll be rotating the Episodes in week by week until Spartan Ops comes back from break in January, so next week will be Episode 1, the week after that Episode 2, and so on.

Got it, dang, I rushed through episode 2-4 in order to be able to play the current episode online. Ah well, I'll just try this "best of" list for a bit, then, thanks!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If you died and they clean up your kills what makes them shitty?

I really dislike this " Oh I can just respawn right now and the enemy is still shields down"-thing.

If they clean up theyre ok in my book. I dont care about instant respawn because its a double edge sword. Youre just as likely to rush into a bad situation as you are a good one. I dont need an artificial mechanic to be cautious for me. Overzelaous players usually suffer more from it than benefit. The real drawback to instant respawn is that it eliminates pushing spawns almost entirely, which again is either good or bad depending on who you ask

Harvest is easily my favorite map in this game. I don't think there's been a map this good since Guardian, both in aesthetics (save for the hilarious sky[toy]box) and play.

It's like an outdoors Longest mixed with Mario's Giant Land, if that makes any sense.. B]

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
No, instant respawns are pretty terrible, especially when trying to create a competitive environment. You shouldn't get a free do over on the guy who you got one shot because he shit on you & your teammates didn't help.

No, its not a do over. When i pick up a double and leave one guy with no shields before i go down and none of my teammates are where the entire enemy team just was the only one 'shitting' on me is my team. I fail to see how me finishing what i did is a free do over.

Real competitive modes in games use respawn cycles so players spawn in waves. Also prevents it from being way too easy for the defenders. FFA is already a clusterfuck so it's acceptable, and in team deathmatch it really depends on the map. But instant respawn usually isn't so conducive to objective modes.

Palmer is driving me nuts. "Shoot those Covenant, Crimson. Press that button, Crimson. Remember to shoot the enemies, Crimson. Eggheads. Eggheads. Crimson." Every single damn Spartan Op. Her character is completely redundant and has no charisma.

Sordid

No, its not a do over. When i pick up a double and leave one guy with no shields before i go down and none of my teammates are where the entire enemy team just was the only one 'shitting' on me is my team. I fail to see how me finishing what i did is a free do over.

Instant respawn is a bad mechanic for a game with shields, it's a do over because you get to kill him before his shields recharge (i.e. you get 2 goes at killing him). If you deserved the triple you would've gotten it in the first place, whether your team mates helped or not is irrelevant.

Going by your logic I deserved hundreds tens of triple kills in previous Halo games because I got the third dude down to 1 shot then he killed me. Not once though did I think "I should be able to respawn instantly and kill that guy, I deserved that triple!", that's crazy. It just doesn't fit Halo imo.

blamite

You can't, they're there to keep the aspect ratio correct. Been like this since Halo 3.

Personally I think it's much better this way. Every Halo game that used the entire screen in splitscreen just seems wrong to me. Halo 2 uses vertical split and makes the FOV too narrow, and Halo 1/Anniversary give you a ridiculously wide FOV and removes the top and bottom of your view. I definitely prefer getting the normal aspect ratio, as annoying as it is to have so much screen space unused.

Real competitive modes in games use respawn cycles so players spawn in waves. Also prevents it from being way too easy for the defenders. FFA is already a clusterfuck so it's acceptable, and in team deathmatch it really depends on the map. But instant respawn usually isn't so conducive to objective modes.

Palmer is driving me nuts. "Shoot those Covenant, Crimson. Press that button, Crimson. Remember to shoot the enemies, Crimson. Eggheads. Eggheads. Crimson." Every single damn Spartan Op. Her character is completely redundant and has no charisma.

Palmer is the worst written character in recent videogame memory for me.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Instant respawn is a bad mechanic for a game with shields, it's a do over because you get to kill him before his shields recharge (i.e. you get 2 goes at killing him). If you deserved the triple you would've gotten it in the first place, whether your team mates helped or not is irrelevant.

Going by your logic I deserved hundreds tens of triple kills in previous Halo games because I got the third dude down to 1 shot then he killed me. Not once though did I think "I should be able to respawn instantly and kill that guy, I deserved that triple!", that's crazy. It just doesn't fit Halo imo.

Who the fuck said 'deserve'?. Im not stacking anything against anyone that they cant against me. The only thing I pointed out is that when I play with bad teammates which is fairly frequently, instant respawn lets me on an occasion finish off my kills. I dont know where you got this whole 'deserve' bit from or that I stated that I should be able to instantly respawn for the sole purpose of finishing off my kills.

malfcn

Hah, got a Perfection with the Mantis in BTB on Meltdown with a 20-0.

Next match I spot a camper with camo and hit him dead with rockets and chaingun. He walks though it, charges plasma and boards with a grenade..what?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Wtf? The whole Crimson map pack is free?

I thought that was an error they fixed or something.

Sordid

Who the fuck said 'deserve'?. Im not stacking anything against anyone that they cant against me. The only thing I pointed out is that when I play with bad teammates which is fairly frequently, instant respawn lets me on an occasion finish off my kills. I dont know where you got this whole 'deserve' bit from or that I stated that I should be able to instantly respawn for the sole purpose of finishing off my kills.

I never mentioned stacking anything against anyone. Your post kinda read to me like you thought you 'deserved' those kills because of your team mates shitting on you and you not thinking it was a do over. That's all. My apologies, I obviously picked it up wrong.

I still don't find it satisfying to assist myself though (and it's annoying beating someone in a 1v1 just for them to spawn 10 feet to left and one shot me). Agree to disagree on that one, I guess.

Wtf? The whole Crimson map pack is free?

I thought that was an error they fixed or something.

Free until the 18th then access is revoked unless you pay 800 points iirc.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I never mentioned stacking anything against anyone. Your post kinda read to me like you thought you 'deserved' those kills because of your team mates shitting on you and you not thinking it was a do over. That's all. My apologies, I obviously picked it up wrong.

I still don't find it satisfying to assist myself though (and it's annoying beating someone in a 1v1 just for them to spawn 10 feet to left and one shot me). Agree to disagree on that one, I guess.

Free until the 18th then access is revoked unless you pay 800 points iirc.

Well let me be more specific. Everyone has been in this scenario. You're shooting at group of 3 enemies who're all moving in and out of cover. You take down all their shields but get no kills and then you get either sniped from the side or assassinated or you go down somehow. As you collapse into a lifeless heap you see two teammates running at the enemy group. You're staring at the screen waiting for your wingman or multiple assist points and then...nothing.

Now if I respawn close enough to pick up those kills my first thought isnt 'wooohoo kills!' its 'god dammit wtf people!!'. Sure assisting yourself is weird but I witness this level of ineptitude from my teammates at least once every session. When playing with a disorganized or just a plain bad group of people, instant respawn will at least allow that one guy who gives it a shit to push the enemy players back and prevent the whole game from turning into a reenactment of a mexican prison execution.

this week's Spartan Opps available online matches suck!!

I hate Spartan Ops missions that have too much chatter that makes you wait too long between shooting things

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What do you guys think of Shatter?

Feels like a very strange map to me. Too many ghosts parked all over the place.

Just an idea for the warthog air kill medal: someone should try sitting in the passenger seat with a Binary Rifle since you only have to land a single shot anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think i just had the stupidest epiphany. Swat seems like the easiest way in the world to pad your KDR.
Meanwhile my K/D ratio is under 1 cause I mostly play KotH, and there has maybe been 1 game where I wasn't the top scorer in terms of hill time held. Shit takes a massive hit on your K/D ratio, even though you are doing the most work towards the objective, because often getting a few extra seconds amounts to a death, and is almost always worth it.

K/D is only relevant in slayer gametypes.

Enfinit

Meanwhile my K/D ratio is under 1 cause I mostly play KotH, and there has maybe been 1 game where I wasn't the top scorer in terms of hill time held. Shit takes a massive hit on your K/D ratio, even though you are doing the most work towards the objective, because often getting a few extra seconds amounts to a death, and is almost always worth it.

K/D is only relevant in slayer gametypes.

It's tough to determine K/D's relevancy. Like enzo said, he has below a 1.0 K/D, which in competitive terms isn't very good. However, his K/D is a reflection of the types of games he plays. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, and I'd love to have a teammate like him that focuses on the objective.

On the flip side, someone with a 2.0 K/D (like myself) is either 1.) decent at the game or 2.) stat pads (in most cases). However, these two go hand-in-hand. Through personal experience, whenever I see someone with above a 2.0 K/D, I assume they're going to attempt to stat pad, however I always find that they're above average in skill level.

In some ways K/D isn't relevant, but in others it is. Just because you have a low K/D doesn't mean you're a bad player, and if you have a high K/D is usually means you are.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's tough to determine K/D's relevancy. Like enzo said, he has below a 1.0 K/D, which in competitive terms isn't very good. However, his K/D is a reflection of the types of games he plays. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, and I'd love to have a teammate like him that focuses on the objective.

On the flip side, someone with a 2.0 K/D (like myself) is either 1.) decent at the game or 2.) stat pads (in most cases). However, these two go hand-in-hand. Through personal experience, whenever I see someone with above a 2.0 K/D, I assume they're going to attempt to stat pad, however I always find that they're above average in skill level.

In some ways K/D isn't relevant, but in others it is. Just because you have a low K/D doesn't mean you're a bad player, and if you have a high K/D is usually means you are.

Yeah..there's also the people who get a ton of assists but go slightly negative.

What do you guys think of Shatter?

Feels like a very strange map to me. Too many ghosts parked all over the place.

It's an awful, awful map with no flow and yeah, too many goddamn ghosts.

Playing CTF on it is god awful, not even a mongoose? Seriously? I have to WALK the flag back?

There should've been a more direct, more risky route, between the bases.

Putting the bases on SUCH elevated positions is just madness, defenders will always have the upper hand.

Woorloog

Banned
For real? :/

Was thinking it was kinda big for the 4 player MP sessions I run anyways, but that still kinda sucks.

TBH, haven't tested it with 4 players. With 2 players it is absolutely unplayable, no matter where you and your friend look. Even in empty version of the map in Forge with just the two of you.
But i haven't seen maps performing better with 4 players compared to 2 so i doubt it is any better.

It is pretty clear 343i didn't bother testing the game in splitscreen, the game is plagued by frame rate issues in splitscreen mode, with many stock maps being unplayable IMO (Complex, not counting how shitty it is anyway is the worst).

Nowise10

How I got the warthog air achievement, is I got into the passenger seat of the enemy Warthog. Alot of the times, they will hop out, but some people just keep on going with me in the side, then as soon as they were about to go off a rock, I punched them twice, and killed them.

Top Bottom