• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Marzo

Neo Member
The MANTIS and detachable turret achievements, probably. I still haven't played Wreckage because people only vote for Shatter.

Havok

Halo 3 had tons:

Assembly
Blackout
Citadel
Cold Storage
Foundry
Guardian
Heretic
Narrows
Snowbound
The Pitt

All of those worked great in 3-4 FFA player matches. In Reach most of them were too big and ironically, thats when the player count went down. Now 4 has a lot of big ones and player count is going down. Hmmmm, i wonder.....
Halo 3 didn't have sprint, there's a difference. Haven is about as small a developer map as you're going to see for Halo 4 unless they lean hard into pushing Doubles down the line. This isn't a question of what I want or what would be ideal, but they're not going to push out a map that takes 5 seconds to cross using default mechanics.

Trying to draw an exclusive correlation between map size and population is hilarious, though. Please keep ignoring the possibility that people didn't like the core game, or that shooter competition has increased by orders of magnitude, and that's why the population declined. No one factor is to blame.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Free DLC? What the hell you guys talking about?
Not sure if it's been fixed yet, but people who don't have the season pass were able, through the in-game menu, to select XBL Marketplace and the map would pop up for free download, acting like they had the season pass.

Therefore, fucking everyone with the LE over.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Some MS PR person:

As an additional reward to those customers that participated in our "14 Day, Buy and Play" program (which ran from Nov. 6 – Nov. 20), we are providing complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack for a limited time, through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT.

There were some initial complications with the distribution of the "14 day, Buy and Play" reward tokens, and so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a "thank you" to our customers that contributed to the success of the "Halo 4" launch.

exYle

The wording is confusing...does this mean its a trial?

No, that's not possible (to the extent of my knowledge), because the map pack was downloaded rather than licensed. I'm guessing this is "we screwed up big time but we're gonna word this so it looks like we're rewarding you folk instead. At least, until we fix our shit by next week."

RedAssedApe

Banned
No, that's not possible (to the extent of my knowledge), because the map pack was downloaded rather than licensed. I'm guessing this is "we screwed up big time but we're gonna word this so it looks like we're rewarding you folk instead. At least, until we fix our shit by next week."

This post and tweet from Xbox support seem to think otherwise...

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/27/p/409510/2072684.aspx#2072684
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/278701658219876352

Incorrect info from the CSRs?

Not sure if it's been fixed yet, but people who don't have the season pass were able, through the in-game menu, to select XBL Marketplace and the map would pop up for free download, acting like they had the season pass.

Wow sucks for those people who actually paid for it. I think its been fixed now though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yep, just read that and I was about to edit my post. I'm definitely wrong.

Licenses, how do they work

Yeah it still doesnt make sense to me. I don't ever recall them ever revoking your license to something after you've downloaded it. Even if it was a mistake (i.e. free Fable)

Petrie

Banned

Other people getting content doesn't fuck you over in any way.

exYle

Yeah it still doesnt make sense to me. I don't ever recall them ever revoking your license to something after you've downloaded it. Even if it was a mistake (i.e. free Fable)

I think right now it's a matter of the paying customers getting screwed over. Once the 18th hits and people lose their free maps, there's relatively little loss.

Also, I think the consensus is the maps range from bad to okay, so not too many tears shed hahahaha

They nuked the Mass Effect 3 beta when it was uploaded to the Dashboard testers on accident

It is if 33% of what you paid for becomes free to everyone without prior notice.

Especially if you dont get 33% of your money back. People seem to forget if they make this free for everyone and season pass owners get fucked then we payed 25$ for 2 map packs and it's only 20$ to buy them separately.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It is if 33% of what you paid for becomes free to everyone without prior notice.

That's a tough one. I bought something on Amazon, and a week later it dropped like 30% in price. I was pretty pissed about it because if I had known I would have just waited. Someone told me to file a "complaint" with Amazon. I basically told them what happened and say, "why is this?" and they refunded me the difference. So, I can see why people who paid the 800ms points for the maps would be pissed. I bought the LE so I'm set for all maps but I certainly don't feel entitled to any money back or anything. I however think that to make things right, those who bought the maps for 800 should either get their points back or get the next map pack for free. That makes sense to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's a tough one. I bought something on Amazon, and a week later it dropped like 30% in price. I was pretty pissed about it because if I had known I would have just waited. Someone told me to file a "complaint" with Amazon. I basically told them what happened and say, "why is this?" and they refunded me the difference. So, I can see why people who paid the 800ms points for the maps would be pissed. I bought the LE so I'm set for all maps but I certainly don't feel entitled to any money back or anything. I however think that to make things right, those who bought the maps for 800 should either get their points back or get the next map pack for free. That makes sense to me.
Difference here is that it's a pre-order for something, and it's effectively discounted to free upon release without prior notice.

I definitely thinking crediting those who were screwed over is a good way of handling things, but their present solution is okay too even though it's shady as fuck and reeks of a cover-up.

GhaleonEB

FWIW, in this example, Amazon has a standing policy on price protection (it's one week). I think MS is making this up as they go. :lol

Totally agree that those who payed for the map pack, prior to it going free, should get a refund.

I'm kind of laughing at the whole thing. MS came up with a DLC scheme so convoluted they couldn't execute on it, and then compounded things twice over with the fix.

I just finished the campaign finally (had the game since launch, just didn't have the time).

I loved it... Every second of it actually.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on the Didact, via the extended universe, or otherwise?

Also I hear the Covenant returning to war with the humans is explained outside of the game as well; can anyone provide me with such information?

Thanks gentlemen.

malfcn

I have never heard about a price protection on Amazon. Normally they tell you to order another one, and "send the original" back. That's what I have heard.

The whole map pack thing sucks for everyone involved, but yeah, it is pretty funny as its just so convoluted and confusing. I feel for 343, they must have a huge headache from all of this. Hopefully its a learning experience all around, and hopefully things will get better for all parties. I feel like my money on the LE was not well spent, but if the maps aren't staying free for those who got it then at least I feel like the season pass retained its value.. if they do get to keep them then I really hope 343/MS compensates.

Blah, I bet all of this stuff hurts the chances of something like campaign/spartan ops theater being patched in.

Not really sure about my overall feelings right now about the maps being free. I can't help but feel a little bit ripped off, though.

As for that Construct remake, I've found a lot of really awesome Forged maps in the Forgotten Treasures thread: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-...47-forgotten-treasures-iii-submissions-2.html

This Turf remake is the best I've seen: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-4-forge-discussion/142699-turf.html#post1563891

Really impressive stuff. Does anyone know how to get that modded gametype with the classic settings? I'd love to try some of these maps with those settings.

I am definitely gonna have to check out those maps!

I just finished the campaign finally (had the game since launch, just didn't have the time).

Does anyone know where I can find more information on the Didact, via the extended universe, or otherwise?

Also I hear the Covenant returning to war with the humans is explained outside of the game as well; can anyone provide me with such information?

Thanks gentlemen.

Read Cryptum and its sequels, they go deep into that stuff. Also, if you haven't already be sure to watch the Halo 4 Terminal videos.. they tell a cool story and are fantastic in terms of voice work and animation.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Difference here is that it's a pre-order for something, and it's effectively discounted to free upon release without prior notice.

I definitely thinking crediting those who were screwed over is a good way of handling things, but their present solution is okay too even though it's shady as fuck and reeks of a cover-up.

You're talking about Season pass owners? What's the most you could have saved if you didn't buy the season pass, got these maps for free and just bought the next 2 flat out? 5 bucks right? Not a huge deal. I don't think anyone saw this coming and I think MS just tried to make things right. While helping some, they hurt their relationship with others. My guess if it there's enough of an uproar, they'll probably do something for those who bought the maps the day of and didn't get them for free like so many others.

FWIW, in this example, Amazon has a standing policy on price protection (it's one week). I think MS is making this up as they go. :lol

Totally agree that those who payed for the map pack, prior to it going free, should get a refund.

I'm kind of laughing at the whole thing. MS came up with a DLC scheme so convoluted they couldn't execute on it, and then compounded things twice over with the fix.

Oh do they? Mine may have been longer actually, I'm not sure now.

I got the LE so I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff. I've been pretty much unaffected by this whole debacle besides having to download the maps a few hours later than I would have liked.

Read Cryptum and its sequels, they go deep into that stuff. Also, if you haven't already be sure to watch the Halo 4 Terminal videos.. they tell a cool story and are fantastic in terms of voice work and animation.

Do Cryptum and its sequels stand on their own, or do I have to read any of the previous books?

exYle

Thanks gentlemen.

More information about the Didact and Librarian can be gleaned from the Forerunner novels: Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium (out next month).

You can also learn more about the Covenant Remnant and Jul Mdama in the two Kilo-Five books: Glasslands and the Thursday War. The books contain a lot of other material pertaining to the post-war period between Halos 3 and 4. The reception for the books has been pretty divisive amongst fans because of its treatment of Dr. Halsey. If you don't wanna read these books, I can summarize what happened to the Covenant for you.

They're an awesome sleep aid.

Yeah. I've read all the Halo books, save Grasslands and the Thursday War.

I downloaded a sample on my Kindle of Primordium...it was...rough.

But after playing H4 and watching the terminals, I may give the Forerunner books another chance.

exYle

The middle? The whole damn thing sucks, and the final big payoff at the end was spoiled for me in the community thread, so I didn't even get to enjoy the pain I had endured!

Hey now, the beginning and setup was decent.
I was extremely curious as to where the fuck Chakas and Riser had disappeared to, so I was glad to find out that Chakas was the POV character. After that, learning they were on a Halo alongside the Primordial was extremely tense and exciting.
But then... man, did it ever taper off.

I'm sorry you got the ending spoiled for you, because it was great!

If the books are that bad maybe a summary would be better?

Cryptum is great. The only 'problem' with the books really is Bear's prose; it's a little unorthodox and, depending on what you like to read, possibly out of your comfort zone.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
BTB in this game is really fun. That mode alone has kept me playing and kept me from returning the game.

It's not that Halo 4 is a bad game, but I'm getting my fill of multiplayer games on PC right now. I haven't touched Battlefield 3 on the 360 in a long ass time for the same reason (which makes me regret my purchase sadly).

Despite that, BTB keeps me coming back.

doing my legendary run of the game, 4 missions left. glad i'm going through a second time. first go was release day and just wanted to fly through it because i was excited. now i'm just enjoying the scenery. beautiful game. seeing so many details i missed the first time around.

GrizzNKev

Banned
BTB in this game is really fun. That mode alone has kept me playing and kept me from returning the game.

It's not that Halo 4 is a bad game, but I'm getting my fill of multiplayer games on PC right now. I haven't touched Battlefield 3 on the 360 in a long ass time for the same reason (which makes me regret my purchase sadly).

Despite that, BTB keeps me coming back.

Playing BTB makes me feel like a terrible person because my ordnance feedback loops lead to perfections that I don't feel I deserved.

doing my legendary run of the game, 4 missions left. glad i'm going through a second time. first go was release day and just wanted to fly through it because i was excited. now i'm just enjoying the scenery. beautiful game. seeing so many details i missed the first time around.
Same here. I'm on mission 3 currently. This game is gorgeous.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
was replaying campaign today and realised what I'm playing game is not as clean as these pics I saw on halowaypoint are these pics super sampled or my tv setting is fucked
2821568-gallery.png

2821560-gallery.png

Top Bottom