• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Mindwipe

Hey now, the beginning and setup was decent.
I was extremely curious as to where the fuck Chakas and Riser had disappeared to, so I was glad to find out that Chakas was the POV character. After that, learning they were on a Halo alongside the Primordial was extremely tense and exciting.
But then... man, did it ever taper off.

No they weren't.

Wondering what happened to Riser is more likely a consequence of being stuck with Chakas for the rest of the book, who's tremendously unsympathetic and unlikeable for a protagonist. I'd have cheered at his fate if they hadn't used it to retrospectively cockup GS's character and retcon his death. Urgh. There was literally nothing about Primordium I liked.

I just finished the campaign finally (had the game since launch, just didn't have the time).

I loved it... Every second of it actually.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on the Didact, via the extended universe, or otherwise?

Also I hear the Covenant returning to war with the humans is explained outside of the game as well; can anyone provide me with such information?

Thanks gentlemen.
If you haven't watched the Terminals it primarily focuses on the Didact & Librarian.

Are the maps free for anyone?! Or just players with Halo 4 purchased?
You must be a US player AND have the normal edition AND have redeemed the specialization code from the "Buy and Play" promotion (which may or may not exist) AND have not yet purchased the map pack.
And it may or may not only be free until the 18th. On that day you may or may not lose access to the maps locally and/or on Xbox Live, and/or you may not be able to redowloaded them, and/or be notified that you have to purchase them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
was replaying campaign today and realised what I'm playing game is not as clean as these pics I saw on halowaypoint are these pics super sampled or my tv setting is fucked
2821568-gallery.png

2821560-gallery.png

I remember a previous Halo would render the game at a much higher resolution specifically for the screenshot, or apply AA after the fact tot he screenshot or something along the lines of that, so that's probably what they're doing.

Sorry, what I meant by 'all 8' is that LE owners were the only ones to have the option to choose from the complete list of specializations. Technically, others people started getting their codes in late November but that was a disaster, and between people not getting their codes and others stuck one of the first two specializations, it's not unreasonable to say that the 6 locked specializations remained locked from the majority of the playerbase until early December.

None LE owners outside of America still don't have access

Fuchsdh

People always apply at least 16xAA and significant post-processing to their memories. It ain't so though.

The game still looks amazing though. No complaints here.
What they sometimes do (not saying 343i did) is draw the picture at something huge, say 4K, and then shrink down to 1080p--that reduces aliasing without actually changing anti-aliasing methods.

I just finished the game last night and does anyone else think that this is the easierst Halo campaign yet on normal? I only ran into a couple of parts where I had to pay attention, but I never felt the need to sit up in my seat during the whole thing.

I just finished the game last night and does anyone else think that this is the easierst Halo campaign yet on normal? I only ran into a couple of parts where I had to pay attention, but I never felt the need to sit up in my seat during the whole thing.

Normal is insanely easy. Even Heroic...the difference between Legendary and Heroic is nuts.

Halo 2 on Normal was easier than 4. Imo. Halo 4 A.I. are smarter in comparison to 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bulletin is up.

Important info:
- They're killing Team Slayer Pro
- Fileshare is still not ready, but they've decided enough time has past so that they can acknowledge it not being properly functional now, won't hit until early 2013

Bulletin is up.

Important info:
- They're killing Team Slayer Pro
- Fileshare is still not ready, but they've decided enough time has past so that they can acknowledge it not being properly functional now, won't hit until early 2013

LOL, they actually reference the "14 day, buy and play" program. Literally the first time they've EVER mentioned it.

malfcn

Would people settle for Forge remakes of popular legacy maps? Repetitive palette and less atmosphere? It would be neat (if possible) for them to implement older maps that a map faithfully recreated in Forge. Best part would be, free.

blamite

Would people settle for Forge remakes of popular legacy maps? Repetitive palette and less atmosphere? It would be neat (if possible) for them to implement older maps that a map faithfully recreated in Forge. Best part would be, free.

As someone who loved the original Team Classic in Reach, maybe. Gametypes would need to be considerably altered for this to work though.

malfcn

Also, what about enlarging the maps slightly. Say, if you can normally cover a distance in 5 seconds, increase the map to the size of sprinting in 5 seconds, or maybe 2-3 seconds.

Insaniac

ugghhh I am so sick of plasma grenade starts in loadouts. Fucking ruining warthogs. Yes I will complain about this until they fix it. Make plasma grenades start with only 1 like pulse grenades. Make vehicles not so fucking EASY to stick, christ.

I remember in Halo 3, when you had to becareful if the enemy team had a warthog, now I just laugh and plasma pistol and stick them, easy kills.

Also, disallow jetpacks on CTF :(

aries_71

I remember in Halo 3, when you had to becareful if the enemy team had a warthog, now I just laugh and plasma pistol and stick them, easy kills.

You say it as it's trivial to pistol plasma and stick a vehicle. Most of the times I end up being splattered by the same vehicle that I just pistol plasmed. Specially common with full speed ghosts, that carry a lot of inertia.

Louis Wu

Seeing the playlist population on Slayer Pro on Monday made me expect that it was about to be dropped.

343... stop making me sad. Please.
Shouldn't your sadness be directed at the large percentage of the Matchmaking community that has chosen NOT to play Slayer Pro? Why blame 343?

Shouldn't your sadness be directed at the large percentage of the Matchmaking community that has chosen NOT to play Slayer Pro? Why blame 343?
I had faith in one of those parties. I paid one of those parties. One of those parties is in charge of managing the other.

Sure, I'd love if people in general went to this non-main/non-pushed playlist, but it's been shown before how this works.

I don't even think S.P. is as good as it should be, I just enjoyed it more than the others.

is there a new ability where the radar just shows a dozen faded dots? or is that a bug?

every game since the DLC, ive seen a whole bunch of dots and stuff show up on my radar but theres no one around me.

XNarte

is there a new ability where the radar just shows a dozen faded dots? or is that a bug?

every game since the DLC, ive seen a whole bunch of dots and stuff show up on my radar but theres no one around me.

That just means there is a person using camo nearby. Watch your back ;)

ugghhh I am so sick of plasma grenade starts in loadouts. Fucking ruining warthogs. Yes I will complain about this until they fix it. Make plasma grenades start with only 1 like pulse grenades. Make vehicles not so fucking EASY to stick, christ.

Also, disallow jetpacks on CTF :(
Yeah nothing like seeing people in the gauss hog go +20 in BTB... Until vehicles stop being the L O L killing machines that they are in Halo, I will support weaker versions and easier methods to destroy them. The Gauss Hog, Banshee, Tank, and Mantis are all ridiculously powerful when used intelligently. Compared to how easy it is to just drive by and mow people down, I don't see why vehicles need a boost. The time vehicles are down when plasma pistol'd, especially when the driver is using the Operator perk, is next to nothing. It's basically, stop for a second, then go.

Raxus

I am shocked how many of these achievements are bugged. Out of the three Mancannon achievements I got 2 from killing people at random locations.

Yeah nothing like seeing people in the gauss hog go +20 in BTB... Until vehicles stop being the L O L killing machines that they are in Halo, I will support weaker versions and easier methods to destroy them. The Gauss Hog, Banshee, Tank, and Mantis are all ridiculously powerful when used intelligently. Compared to how easy it is to just drive by and mow people down, I don't see why vehicles need a boost. The time vehicles are down when plasma pistol'd, especially when the driver is using the Operator perk, is next to nothing. It's basically, stop for a second, then go.

The Gauss shouldnt even exist. Its the regular Warthog that needs the boost.

Striker

The Gauss shouldnt even exist. Its the regular Warthog that needs the boost.
Gauss was never really a good option for open maps, which is basically what Exile is. They tried to make it work on Terminal and Headlong, and both played well with it and to counter Banshee and Wraith. I'm finding the strength of the chain-gun turret okay, but it's the chance of enemies spawning with plasma pistols and sticky grenades that is making the regular Warthog fairly weak.

Fuchsdh

And you've got plenty of shots to keep a vehicle disabled while you move in for the kill. I haven't had any major issues considering my BTB load out of plasmas and pistol.

Its the regular Warthog that needs the boost.
It has a boost, it's called the Operator and Pathfinder Specializations. Operator cuts the stall time of a plasma overcharge in half, so the 'hog doesn't even come to a full stop before you can move again. Pathfinder cuts the turret overheat time in half, and you can mix those two Specs together to create a pretty powerful vehicle. I completely agree about the Gauss 'hog, it's removal along with the Scorpion is a no-brainer to anyone except 343.

that explains so much! i was wondering why i kept getting smacked around with no one nearby. i should have assumed this to be the case lol. thanks!
The player will almost always be in the center of the grouping of blue dots, which is also helpful. So don't go chasing the outer dots.

XNarte

I completely agree about the Gauss 'hog, it's removal along with the Scorpion is a no-brainer to anyone except 343.

I don't understand why people say that the essence of Halo is boiled down to power weapons at static spawn areas on the maps that become the priority that players will battle for dominance of, but say the opposite for the powerful vehicles like the Gauss 'hog and Scorpion.

There isn't really any difference between battling for control of a Spartan Laser or for a Scorpion. Both are powerful weapons/vehicles that are dangerous in the hands of a player who can use them well, but are not so completely impossible to take out that they should be removed from a map.

Insaniac

It has a boost, it's called the Operator and Pathfinder Specializations. Operator cuts the stall time of a plasma overcharge in half, so the 'hog doesn't even come to a full stop before you can move again. Pathfinder cuts the turret overheat time in half, and you can mix those two Specs together to create a pretty powerful vehicle. I completely agree about the Gauss 'hog, it's removal along with the Scorpion is a no-brainer to anyone except 343.

The operator perk is a joke, not worth using at all. sure it cuts plasma pistol time, but its so easy to stick warthogs it doesn't even matter. Since everyone can spawn with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades, its only a matter of time (a short amount of time) that any half competent team can remove even the most skilled warthog driver
The gauss hog is also a joke, totally imbalanced and shouldn't exist in matchmaking unless its retooled

edit: balance is regarding the standard warthog. Ghosts aren't nearly as affected due to the fact they have speed and manueverability, not to mention being a smaller target. Warthogs are big, clunky and have to maintain a reasonable speed to not flip over on the smallest pebble :p

You shouldnt have to grind for many hours to unlock a perk to balances vehicle gameplay and of course even with the perk you will still get demolished by plasma grenades. Reducing the plasma grenade count to 1 is a simple and obvious solution.

I dont know how the Scorpion keeps finding its way on maps. If a map has a tank it should always be the Wraith.

Karl2177

I don't understand why people say that the essence of Halo is boiled down to power weapons at static spawn areas on the maps that become the priority that players will battle for dominance of, but say the opposite for the powerful vehicles like the Gauss 'hog and Scorpion.

There isn't really any difference between battling for control of a Spartan Laser or for a Scorpion. Both are powerful weapons/vehicles that are dangerous in the hands of a player who can use them well, but are not so completely impossible to take out that they should be removed from a map.

It follows the same principle of giving shielded enemies no travel OHK weapons in campaign. You have an opponent who has a ridiculously unfair advantage of defense and offense with the only downside being maneuverability. The most effective tactic is either to hide, resulting in a stalemate; or to risk peeking your head out with a power weapon you may or may not have. It's not fun to be the one getting shot at.

XNarte

ridiculously unfair advantage

I guess we just have different opinions of "ridiculously unfair". In Halo 1, vehicles were invincible. It's gotten easier to take vehicles down as the series has progressed. (homing rockets in 2, Plasma freeze, etc) 4 is IMO the easiest game to take down vehicles in.

resulting in a stalemate

How many one on ones with a Scorpion do you have? If I am in a Scorpion and I am aiming at a lone player who has ducked behind a rock, there is no stalemate, because if I wait in place in Big Team (the only playlist with a Scorpion yet) for even 5 seconds, I am going to get slaughtered by other opponents in a matter of seconds. I would be curious to why his teammates were sleeping instead of playing if I even had a chance for a stalemate on Exile.

Top Bottom