• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Tawpgun

How is it one dimensional? No radar. No shields. No ordinances. Just you, your BR/DMR, and three other buddies trying to kill the other team with headshots. I'd say it's one of, if not the most skill based multiplayer modes.

Slayer Pro is the most skill based. If it comes back with static ordnance then it will be. No radar, but you can still out-shoot someone who gets the drop on you if you're better than them. SWAT is good for its own twitch based thing (reminds me of a more skillful game of CoD) but ultimately trying to land 5 perfect shots is more skillful than seeing a guy and getting a headshot.

That and you gotta be aware of power weapons spawning in.

GhaleonEB

It makes me feel better when I think of it as something akin to 'bullet time' from The Matrix. I can turn my view around wherever I want to line up the next shot (that won't hit anything).

You can always tell who's host by the guy with the most kills. 343 may have put a ton of hard work into the mode, but I'll be damned if I can see where it went. No scoring, no skulls, no customization of any kind, low chance of getting a game with a good connection, no theater...very disappointing.

Hindsight being what it is, I wish 343 would have just given us Reach's Firefight with better netcode, playlists that aren't just shit out then forgotten, and incorporate some multiplayer aspects into it like Ordnance. For instance:

-Start the game with a rifle and an automatic loadout, no AA. AA and weapon upgrades come in tiers, so you start off with relatively modest upgrades and work your way up to the big guns, powerups, and maybe even a resupply function for your loadout instead of the infinite ammo crates. Would have been a nice take on things, and 343 could have put their own stamp on it with the gametype changes and new enemy classes.

Agree 100%. To add a thought to the ordnance system, the capture and hold aspects of Dominion would have made for a fantastic Firefight element as well, complete with base upgrades and vehicles added, as the rounds escalated. Imagine that instead of Generator Defense.

But instead of building on Firefight, they scrapped it and started over. (The only thing that survived is the global ordnance system from Reach's Firefight, which was aded to multiplayer, helping to wreak that mode.) And what they game up with is frankly pretty bad. I was told prior to the game coming out that this was the mode I wanted by playing Firefight, and the mode that would scratch the same itches as Firefight. But that is the exact opposite of reality. It's clear to me that 343 didn't understand what Firefight was about.

I'll probably never play all of Season 1 of Spartan Ops unless they manage to roll out some enormous redesign of the mode. There's just nothing there to keep me invested in the gameplay, and a whole lot of turn offs in the mix.

Agree 100%. To add a thought to the ordnance system, the capture and hold aspects of Dominion would have made for a fantastic Firefight element as well, complete with base upgrades and vehicles added, as the rounds escalated. Imagine that instead of Generator Defense.

But instead of building on Firefight, they scrapped it and started over. (The only thing that survived is the global ordnance system from Reach's Firefight, which was aded to multiplayer, helping to wreak that mode.) And what they game up with is frankly pretty bad. I was told prior to the game coming out that this was the mode I wanted by playing Firefight, and the mode that would scratch the same itches as Firefight. But that is the exact opposite of the truth.

I'll probably never play all of Season 1 of Spartan Ops unless they manage to roll out some enormous redesign of the mode. There's just nothing there to keep me invested in the gameplay, and a whole lot of turn offs in the mix.
YES. That would have been insanely awesome, and I probably would have spent all my Halo 4 time playing that. I just don't get what happened. They promised one thing, but delivered something totally inferior to anything we've seen in Halo so far (sorry to be so harsh, David.). So not worth the rather excellent CGI cutscenes.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Slayer Pro is the most skill based. If it comes back with static ordnance then it will be. No radar, but you can still out-shoot someone who gets the drop on you if you're better than them. SWAT is good for its own twitch based thing (reminds me of a more skillful game of CoD) but ultimately trying to land 5 perfect shots is more skillful than seeing a guy and getting a headshot.

That and you gotta be aware of power weapons spawning in.

I like that the starting ordinance was always the same. I wouldnt mind if they had different 'waves' of ordinance but kept it uniform.

Striker

They had a Binary Rifle show up (as well as another human sniper on the chain-gun side) in Ragnarok CTF. I know at one point one teammate was sniping in middle hill to the base, and myself and the Binary Sniper were on the chain-gun side taking out players coming from the secondary man-cannon. Map already has issues, but the ordnance just makes it unnecessarily more chaotic.

Karl2177

But instead of building on Firefight, they scrapped it and started over. (The only thing that survived is the global ordnance system from Reach's Firefight, which was aded to multiplayer, helping to wreak that mode.) And what they game up with is frankly pretty bad. I was told prior to the game coming out that this was the mode I wanted by playing Firefight, and the mode that would scratch the same itches as Firefight. But that is the exact opposite of reality. It's clear to me that 343 didn't understand what Firefight was about.

One thing I that I disliked about Firefight in Reach was the lack of incentive to move out of the base. At first I thought it was because of the unlimited ammo crates, but I later realized that it was a lack of objectives. Sure, generator defense was there, but object defense styled gameplay has its ups and its downs. I love your suggestion of Dominion-esque FF, but I'd also like something similar to Assault, where you take the bomb to a point. Then you'd defend it, like normal, but an added catch was to defend it from a place where you wouldn't get killed from the explosion. If you did, you'd lose a life from the pool. I was hoping something like that would be implemented in SpOps, but it never was.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I seriously cant take being thrown into games in progress all the fucking time.

i was shocked that its in the tournament playlist too.

more troubling though is starting a match with 6 players only for the game to start with teams of 4 v 2. wut? or 4 v 0 with the match ending as soon as it loads, lol

One thing I that I disliked about Firefight in Reach was the lack of incentive to move out of the base. At first I thought it was because of the unlimited ammo crates, but I later realized that it was a lack of objectives. Sure, generator defense was there, but object defense styled gameplay has its ups and its downs. I love your suggestion of Dominion-esque FF, but I'd also like something similar to Assault, where you take the bomb to a point. Then you'd defend it, like normal, but an added catch was to defend it from a place where you wouldn't get killed from the explosion. If you did, you'd lose a life from the pool. I was hoping something like that would be implemented in SpOps, but it never was.

I think it was this line of thinking that lead to the creation of SpOps. I can't remember where I heard it, but didn't 343 at one point say something along the lines of, "We added more objectives, until we just felt that a narrative ties things together better". Now say what you want about how they executed on that, but I think on paper they were right.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i was shocked that its in the tournament playlist too.

more troubling though is starting a match with 6 players only for the game to start with teams of 4 v 2. wut? or 4 v 0 with the match ending as soon as it loads, lol

I also love when its 3v3 but as soon as the game starts the enemy team gets a teammate but my team stays down one the whole game. Its just the match making stuff that is really getting on my nerves lately. Its like the game knows i don't feel like playing adrift so it throws me into adrift six times in a row and i dont have any say in the matter (even though there's 40 thousand people playing IS).

Man, the left stick on my controller is holding together by a nerve. Half the rubber is torn and it's gotten pretty resistant to movement. But controllers are expeeensiiive ughhh.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I also love when its 3v3 but as soon as the game starts the enemy team gets a teammate but my team stays down one the whole game. Its just the match making stuff that is really getting on my nerves lately. Its like the game knows i don't feel like playing adrift so it throws me into adrift six times in a row and i dont have any say in the matter (even though there's 40 thousand people playing IS).

i gotta say though, i much prefer 4's voting system over previous halos in which people would randomly switch votes as they saw fit. but yeah, my biggest issues with 4 are matchmaking related. still amazed that the trueskill matching is at least as bad as reach's. also, wheres my preference for connection based matching?

GamerSoul

Man, the left stick on my controller is holding together by a nerve. Half the rubber is torn and it's gotten pretty resistant to movement. But controllers are expeeensiiive ughhh.

Very true, too expensive. I have 3 controllers and each one has a different resistance on the left stick. I can definitely feel the difference when playinhg this game.

I seriously cant take being thrown into games in progress all the fucking time.

It's a terrible system. I end up leaving more than half the time because the score is often so goddamn lopsided.

The game put me and 2 other guys I was playing with into a 0-4 CTF game last night...wat?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i gotta say though, i much prefer 4's voting system over previous halos in which people would randomly switch votes as they saw fit. but yeah, my biggest issues with 4 are matchmaking related. still amazed that the trueskill matching is at least as bad as reach's. also, wheres my preference for connection based matching?

Join in progress is to blame for all this shit. I've never had a problem sitting a few seconds in a lobby if that meant having a full team and everyone starting at the same time. I do agree about the voting though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Truskill isn't even a visible issue for me when most of the games I play are decided by who starts with more players. It's pretty discouraging.

At this point, I'd just like some acknowledgement from 343 on the issues. Tell us what you are looking at and what can be potentially fixed. Hope is all some people are running off of. The file browser was a start, but it's sad it took them a month to officially acknowledge what was a feature Reach launched with was not function for the first month after Halo 4s release. It's just unacceptable and the silence on so many fronts is not way to build trust as a new developer.

Man there is nothing I hate more than idiots treating every objective gametype like slayer. People on oddball never going for the ball or defending make me go insane. If you're playing dominion why don't you attempt to go for the base, winning is better than losing. I just want double team so I dont have to rely on randoms any longer.

Iberian

Man there is nothing I hate more than idiots treating every objective gametype like slayer. People on oddball never going for the ball or defending make me go insane. If you're playing dominion why don't you attempt to go for the base, winning is better than losing. I just want double team so I dont have to rely on randoms any longer.

I guess it's people trying an easy way to get a better overall Kdr, so they can brag at school, or whatever. The other day I discovered that some playlist allow friendly fire. Since then, I'm always tempted to assassinate the team member that is found camping with a DMR in an objective game.

guest1321

Hopefully you guys can offer me some advice, and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

I downloaded the Crimson DLC went it came out for free, and now it is showing up as me needing to purchase it. I got the game Day 1, and it was my understanding that it was part of that play in the first two weeks get it free ordeal.

Also, I'm seeing all the specializations now rather than just the two additional ones when the game came out, but they are all still locked. I didn't ever see an email come through about a code so I wasn't sure if that was right.

Can anyone offer some guidance here?

Thanks in advance!

Playing in the first two weeks has nothing to do with DLC. Playing in the two weeks just got you the extra specializations, and you'll have to purchase the DLC.

I think it was this line of thinking that lead to the creation of SpOps. I can't remember where I heard it, but didn't 343 at one point say something along the lines of, "We added more objectives, until we just felt that a narrative ties things together better". Now say what you want about how they executed on that, but I think on paper they were right.
I certainly appreciate the concept of more objective based, story-driven combat scenarios, but somewhere along the line I feel like it kind of fell apart during implementation. The dialog outside of the cutscenes need a lot of work to put it mildly. 343 had a chance to make Palmer the new Sgt. Johnson and a rare strong female lead, but instead they made a poor caricature that makes me roll my eyes every time she speaks. I didn't even snap to the fact that the Miller character is actually a Spartan until late last week; he sounds like a mewling lackey, not like a Spartan.

Beyond that, the biggest issue I have with the mode isn't even the relatively poor combat. It's the extremely bad netcode, where I have yet to play a game online that was smooth all the way through. People complained about Reach Firefight's netcode, but apart from a handful of games, my experiences were usually smooth and responsive. SpOps is a completely different story; framerate issues galore when large groups of enemies are in one place (which is a lot), outright freezing of the game for nearly a full minute, and issues with assassinations where an Elite will hop right back up and kill me after the animation is complete.

I would love for this mode to succeed, because the premise is sound and even through the issues, I can still have fun with some of the missions. It just needs a LOT of work for me to even want to see a Season 2.

guest1321

Playing in the first two weeks has nothing to do with DLC. Playing in the two weeks just got you the extra specializations, and you'll have to purchase the DLC.

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that after they released it for free on accident, they said that it was part of a "play in the first 14 and it is free" promotion that had not been mentioned to that point. Did they renig on that?

Also, so now that I have all the specializations, at what point do they unlock and become usable?

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that after they released it for free on accident, they said that it was part of a "play in the first 14 and it is free" promotion that had not been mentioned to that point. Did they renig on that?

Also, so now that I have all the specializations, at what point do they unlock and become usable?

It was a trial period and they have since been removed for the people that didn't pay.

Once your Spartan gets to level 50, you can choose a specialization. If you don't pick one, you will stop earning XP and stay at level 50. Once you pick one, you have to keep that specialization for 10 levels until it's complete. Then you choose a new one. There are 8 specializations, 10 levels each, so 10x8=80 and 50+80=130 is the highest rank.

I hope so because the other Halo thread is just ugly. I mean, if I hated the game that much, I'd just move onto other games/threads.

I STILL ENJOY HALO
youshuddupteamslrprImockyourenjoymentofthegamewhenistherealHalogonnagethereRIPHalofrankiewearsatoupeeanddavidlooksweirdwithnobeard

/community thread

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1600 people on Crimson right now. :(
No bulletin this week eh?
They said there might not be bulletins or updates for the next few weeks because most people are on vacay and they're slowing down so you can spend the time basking in the glory of the Ford pickup instead.

I hope so because the other Halo thread is just ugly. I mean, if I hated the game that much, I'd just move onto other games/threads.

I STILL ENJOY HALO

I remember reading that thread before Halo 4 came out and almost everyone was bitching about Reach. Once Halo 4 came out almost everyone in that thread has been bitching about that game. I guess some people are never satisfied.

I enjoy Halo 4.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I seriously might be the worst nade thrower (if thats a real thing) there ever was in any halo game, yet i am astounded by just how many people can pitch a nade right between my teeth. I have around 8k kills and im pretty sure less than 50 are by nades.

So the last time a played I completed the Rouge specialization and then when I went to choose another one, only Wetworks and Operator showed up. Did anyone else lose all the other specializations the code provided? This was about a week ago. Not sure if it was a common glitch that's been fixed since or if I was just unlucky. Any advice?

guest1321

It was a trial period and they have since been removed for the people that didn't pay.

Once your Spartan gets to level 50, you can choose a specialization. If you don't pick one, you will stop earning XP and stay at level 50. Once you pick one, you have to keep that specialization for 10 levels until it's complete. Then you choose a new one. There are 8 specializations, 10 levels each, so 10x8=80 and 50+80=130 is the highest rank.

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks man

Havok

So the last time a played I completed the Rouge specialization and then when I went to choose another one, only Wetworks and Operator showed up. Did anyone else lose all the other specializations the code provided? This was about a week ago. Not sure if it was a common glitch that's been fixed since or if I was just unlucky. Any advice?
Try a reboot. DLC items, like preorder armor and specializations, disappear every once in a while and should come back once the game restarts.

Plasmid

Awe yeah

fullbody

Tryin to rush to SR 70.

Try a reboot. DLC items, like preorder armor and specializations, disappear every once in a while and should come back once the game restarts.

Ok, I noticed it right before I logged off the last time so hopefully it will be back to normal when I get back on. Thanks!

I STILL ENJOY HALO

Normally, that's what people do. But this is Halo, not Far Cry. I can appreciate how "passionate" some people still are about the games, myself included, but the constant bitching this game gets is really ridiculous now. You have people who've worked on the game who come in here saying that they listen to feedback, will continuously support the game (and that on a weekly basis with fixes, patches and improvements and such) but that doesn't matter since some people are just plain unreasonable. They wanna play the game right now with patch number 4 or 5 already on there. The game has been out for what, a month now? And people talk in here as if the game has not been improved or touched for the last 10 or 11 months. Its like, there's already been 2 patches, constant weekly improvements and this in about a month, and people still bitch.

Theres just no pleasing some people.

Is this game serious...

It put me into 3 in-game progress games in a row, all with huge deficits.

Ragnarok CTF: 0-3
Regicide: 200-510
Regicide: 210-500

I turned my Xbox off...

Is this game serious...

It put me into 3 in-game progress games in a row, all with huge deficits.

Ragnarok CTF: 0-3
Regicide: 200-510
Regicide: 210-500

I turned my Xbox off...

Funny that happened to me too, only in BO2. Team was half empty too.

Also if you keep leaving after every game finishes, your kinda asking for it. Unless your changing playlists, i dont get the point.

Also if you keep leaving after every game finishes, your kinda asking for it. Unless your changing playlists, i dont get the point.

Sometimes you want to get away from garbage teammates?

If my teammates are going like -15, -18, etc. then I will leave to hopefully get paired up with new ones.

Funny that happened to me too, only in BO2. Team was half empty too.

Nope, I look at the score and go "WTF? I'm leaving"

I played 1 full game of Oddball (which we won), switched to CTF, got screwed, went to Team Regicide, got screwed, tried again, got screwed, turn off Xbox.

Top Bottom