• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Is this game serious...

It put me into 3 in-game progress games in a row, all with huge deficits.

Ragnarok CTF: 0-3
Regicide: 200-510
Regicide: 210-500

I turned my Xbox off...

I played for about an hour and didnt see a map selection screen once. No idea wtf is happening because until this week this wasnt really an issue for me. Now its fucking incessant.

orznge

Banned
Normally, that's what people do. But this is Halo, not Far Cry. I can appreciate how "passionate" some people still are about the games, myself included, but the constant bitching this game gets is really ridiculous now. You have people who've worked on the game who come in here saying that they listen to feedback, will continuously support the game (and that on a weekly basis with fixes, patches and improvements and such) but that doesn't matter since some people are just plain unreasonable. They wanna play the game right now with patch number 4 or 5 already on there. The game has been out for what, a month now? And people talk in here as if the game has not been improved or touched for the last 10 or 11 months. Its like, there's already been 2 patches, constant weekly improvements and this in about a month, and people still bitch.

Theres just no pleasing some people.

name a Halo game that 4+ significant patches were released for

GolazoDan

Whoops, didn't realise there were two Halo threads. Posted in the other and everyone seems upset about things, :(

I'm still chugging away at the campaign (taking three week breaks between levels, clearly), gamertag's the same as my username so if anyone wants to help me with the higher difficulties over the weekend then let's do it! I have a headset and everything, clearly a pro gamer.

Not played multiplayer in a while but I'll hopefully jump back into that, see if things have progressed since I played it at launch. Unfortunately everyone else has probably got better so this headless chicken may be in for a sad time.

GamerSoul

Random but, I remember jumping into a Mantis and trying to figure out what button is used for the stomp and accidently taking out a teammates ghost with it. While I was laughing, he and another player then proceeded to take out my Mantis in retaliation. lol you can't do that in any other game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Awe yeah

fullbody

Tryin to rush to SR 70.

Pioneer helmet is best helmet. Brofist.

Crazyorloco

Funny that happened to me too, only in BO2. Team was half empty too.

Also if you keep leaving after every game finishes, your kinda asking for it. Unless your changing playlists, i dont get the point.
Yeah as I keep playing I don't get thrown into games already in progress. It's only when I start to play in a playlist. Plus, I've gotten join in progress games where my team was behind by a lot if points only to come from behind and win. It felt great.

Less, BR is much more effective on the smaller maps. In denser gametypes it's a better option so more people use it in stuff like [Team] Regicide and KotH.

Still pretty prevalent...

In a 5 v 5 Slayer game, I suspect 7-10 DMRs total in the game between the players, regardless of map.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Less, BR is much more effective on the smaller maps. In denser gametypes it's a better option so more people use it in stuff like [Team] Regicide and KotH.

Cool beans, I think I need a break from BTB. Great mode, but Im getting a little sick of Ragnarock + DMR all day.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yoo..infinity slayer wtf man. How you gonna let me play an entire game of 3 v 2 which hit the time limit without anyone joining? Is there any rhyme or reason to this shit at all? I bet if i didnt start that game i'd have joined it in the last 15 seconds.

Hey You

I cant find the forge thread. Anyways, anyone know where/someones fileshare where I can get some Flood/Infection gametypes & maps? Forgehub and Xforgery failed me.

Tawpgun

Nah.

It's just "easier"

Most of the maps in Halo 4, even the "small" maps have really big DMR sightlines. And based on kill times that have been tested per weapon, assuming you land all 4 shots and the 5th headshot, the DMR is the faster kill.

But I prefer the BR on the small maps.

ANYWAY CROSSPOSTING DONT GIVE A FUCK. Just want to have some discussion.

Here's a question to open up some actual discussion...

How far do you think 343 will be willing to go to change the base game?

Instant Respawn
Global Ordnance
Boltshot
Plasma Pistol/Plasma Nades in BTB
DMR
Armor Abilities
Perks

If you recall, Bungie and then 343 changed a lot of the game post launch with Reach. We had some AA's that were outright removed. Same that Bungie did with equipment in 3. Some were only included in some playlists. Then we had the TU and we had entire playlists with a different version of bloom, so much so that vanilla settings with MOST of the AA's were only found in Invasion and Team Slayer or something.

-There's some strong dislike for instant respawn.

-There's near universal dislike for Global Ordnance in its current form.

-Most people don't like the boltshot in its current form, the magnitude of its nerf is up to debate.

-The only people that like plasma pistols/plasma nades in BTB are the ones that hate vehicles already. But this is something that ruins BTB for me at least.

-DMR is a contested topic, It's more skillful than any of the other guns (save for the nuanced light rifle maybe) but almost everyone agrees its the most powerful starting weapon in the game, and its range has been cited as being overpowering and stifling to map movement. Especially on larger maps.

-Armor abilities, Bungie and 343 cut a bunch from many playlists in Reach. Will they do they same in 4? There's some pretty strong feelings with good thoughts behind them behind the dislike of camo, jetpack, hard light...

-Some of the support and tactical packages in the game introduce some really unfair advantages. When these were announced, 343 maintained they didn't affect combat as much as we thought it would, and it was more about tailoring to a playstyle than anything else... when the question was asked if they affect power weapons (dexterity, ammo etc) 343 was silent on the issue or didn't hear us ask. But it was met with a lot of "lol there's no way it affects power weapons that'd be dumb" Well... unfortunately it did.

Something else we have to realize is unless 343 TU's the game with more options, we can't do things like include specialization perks in preset loudouts, we can't stack multiple perks on top of each other, and I'm not sure if there's any way to actually BAN a custom class that has a certain weapon from playlists without making everything pre-set.

How much do you think we can reasonably expect 343 to change the game?
----------------

My answer: There is no way, barring some magic on their end, that they would be able to ban certain things from loadouts without making pre-set loadouts. And they aren't about to scrap their entire custom class mechanic. Honestly, the biggest problem is the plasma pistols/plasma nades, and DMR in BTB. BTB was my FAVORITE matchmaking experience since Halo 2. That shit was my jam in Halo 3. But in Reach the endless DMR pinging and the paper mache vehicles ruined it. First Halo where I prefereed the more intimiate and competetive 4 v 4 environment to Big Team. Now in Halo 4 the vehicles got a lot better, but now we have people STILL spawning with DMR's and now having access to plasma pistols and grenades, making every vehicle a goddamn deathtrap. Not fun at all.

So what am I hoping for in an update?

If possible, add in the dead teammate red X's on your HUD. The ones on your radar don't cut it. At all. We still have NO REASON why this feature was removed and if there's one universal opinion on Halo 4, its that the red x's are preferred.

Revamp the maps. Put it STATIC ORDNANCE on all of them. Power weapons were the engine behind map movement and flow. Since its all LOL RANDOM now we get a lot of aimless running and stalemates (ie the famous 0-0 adrift slayer game)

Nerf the boltshot. Almost everyone agrees it needs SOME kind of a nerf. I think the best way to nerf it without making it useless is this: In the range that it usually killed you, it strips your shields. In the shield strip range it takes off half. I am fundamentally against giving players a weapon that can instant kill. At LEAST pair it with a melee. Even this I'm not a fan of, but whatever.

Get rid of instant respawn. Fix the damn option in customs while you're at it, along with the other broken options

Add in more custom options. This is the very first Halo game that has much less customization than its predecessor. Entire gametypes got cut. Infection, which was a custom mini game makers paradise got fucked since we can't give zombies any weapons.

As far as playlists go, have MLG put their shit in and put in a classic playlist

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nah.

It's just "easier"

Most of the maps in Halo 4, even the "small" maps have really big DMR sightlines. And based on kill times that have been tested per weapon, assuming you land all 4 shots and the 5th headshot, the DMR is the faster kill.

But I prefer the BR on the small maps.
Yeah, that does help the DMR a lot too, but on smaller maps, generally grenades are a bigger threat as well, so the damage the BR strips off can often land you a kill in the same shot whereas the DMR may take two shots. It's still a very fine tradeoff though.

I still choose map and gametype specific though, depending on what kind of play the gametype encourages as well (i.e. KotH where hail mary grenades are even more prevalent).

GamerSoul

You give up your own AA in order to fight off other AAs, seems reasonable to me.

But it is an AA, a pretty strong one that can counter almost anything. I can see a lot of people who hate AAs using it a whole lot. It can take out Jetpackers in flight so you have an advantage and knowing where they will land. The camo thing is awesome though. Imo, it could be implemented if it is limited to just interfering with the other AAs. The camo is already well implemented, imo, it makes sense. Like for jetpackers it could slow them down and maybe even have a little backfire effect. For the Sentry it could make the little thing go haywire and shoot anything while it's getting hacked.

Edit: It's not like I wouldn't use it. lol The only AA I really use is the thruster.

Plasmid

Died near or on a man cannon while i killed someone and dropped a grenade and i got both Crimson DLC achievements and in the same match i got the david and goliath achievement

feelsgoodman.jpg

Rushed from 58 to now 64 and chose rogue as my second specialization.

But it is an AA, a pretty strong one that can counter almost anything. I can see a lot of people who hate AAs using it a whole lot. It can take out Jetpackers in flight so you have an advantage and knowing where they will land. The camo thing is awesome though. Imo, it could be implemented if it is limited to just interfering with the other AAs. The camo is already well implemented, imo, it makes sense. Like for jetpackers it could slow them down and maybe even have a little backfire effect. For the Sentry it could make the little thing go haywire and shoot anything while it's getting hacked.

Edit: It's not like I wouldn't use it. lol The only AA I really use is the thruster.

That is a great thing! :p

Finalow

so I'm still raping online, even without mantis, ghost or whatever. just dmr and gg.
pretty funny I'd say if you find somone with a mic.

Louis Wu

I love playing SWAT with surround headphones... have some guy trying to sprint up behind to assassinate me, and spinning at the last second and headshotting him. So much fun. ;)

I love playing SWAT with surround headphones... have some guy trying to sprint up behind to assassinate me, and spinning at the last second and headshotting him. So much fun. ;)

This is usually the case for me too, but for some reason the stupid mech in the middle of Adrift always sounds like another spartan to me. Stupid brain.

Booties

Banned

No other way to play. I definitely have an advantage no radar game types because of my PX5s.

GolazoDan

Had some enjoyable Christmas day Infinity Slayer. Apart from one game where a guy left his mic on and it sounded inappropriate. Also messed about on Spartan Ops. Only seemed to let me play episode 2 chapters, I literally haven't checked since I did episode 1 but since I can watch up to ep 5 I'd have thought I should be able to play the missions up to then...

Top Bottom