• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Havok

I keep getting a xbox live messege saying I have a class unlock code? where do apply that?
Its an XBL code, apply it in the dashboard. When you hit 50 you'll have a bunch of specialization options to pick from.
Had some enjoyable Christmas day Infinity Slayer. Apart from one game where a guy left his mic on and it sounded inappropriate. Also messed about on Spartan Ops. Only seemed to let me play episode 2 chapters, I literally haven't checked since I did episode 1 but since I can watch up to ep 5 I'd have thought I should be able to play the missions up to then...
You can still play them solo or with people on your friends list, but matchmaking is only up for episode 2 this week. They're rotating through them week by week until Spartan Ops comes back from break in January, so next week you'll be able to play the episode 3 chapters in matchmaking.

GolazoDan

You can still play them solo or with people on your friends list, but matchmaking is only up for episode 2 this week. They're rotating through them week by week until Spartan Ops comes back from break in January, so next week you'll be able to play the episode 3 chapters in matchmaking.
Aha, that explains that then! Cheers for that. Think that's for the best, I saw I was like 3 weeks behind and it would have become a chore whereas one episode at a time's not so bad. Five missions at a time is more than enough.

I guess im not familiar with where it is you redeem codes at. Just got a 360.

You can either do it in-game by hitting the Guide button (the Xbox logo button center of your controller) and going all the way to the left and hitting Redeem Code to punch it in manually. It helps if you install the Xbox Smartglass app because you can type from your smartphone. Alternatively, go to www.xbox.com, sign in, and Redeem Code will be an option on the center-left of the screen.

Enfinit

Astro A40s. Bought at Pax08, Astro has replaced a few cables over the years (always on their dime)... still work wonderfully.

THAT company understands customer service. :)

Really, really want a pair of Astro's, especially since the Best Buy near me just started carrying them. I was in desperate need of a new headset so I picked up some Turtle Beaches X11's for $60 during the Halo 4 launch. Not too bad for a lower-tier gaming headset, and I've owned a pair of TB's in the past with absolutely no complaints.

I've only had these X11's for nearly two months, however I was just fortunate enough to receive a pair of Sennheiser 380's for Christmas of which I'll use for music production purposes mostly, however they can be used with an Xbox. Not sure which route I should go... ditch the TB's (I intentionally bought them just to have a decent headset for the time being) and keep them as a back-up, purchase a pair of Astro's strictly for gaming, and keep the Sennheiser's for music. For gaming, use the Sennheisers, X11's, or pick up a pair of Astro's?

I really would like a pair of Astro's, and it's awesome to hear yet another positive feedback. Just seems like a waste of money because of the situation I'm in... I'll find a way to validate my purchase soon enough!

Astro A40s. Bought at Pax08, Astro has replaced a few cables over the years (always on their dime)... still work wonderfully.

I have the original A40/Mixamp and I love it. And the newer versions have made significant improvements. I also had to replace the patch cable, which they did for free, but it was heartbreaking to go without them for so long.

So if you know me you know I love Halo 4 but I hate with seething fury one particular campaign mission: Reclaimer.

This is the mission with the Mammoth and the target designator and woefully bad scripting and nigh endless waves of wraiths and ghosts and wraiths and ghosts and more wraiths and yes, more ghosts. And wraiths. I've completed the level several times, but it was the succession of instakills and failed wraith boarding attempts in my last co-op legendary attempt that may have sworn some of my friends away from this game forever.

But anyway, I'm doing my solo legendary run of the campaign and find myself having to tackle this monstrosity next, on my own. OK, I can do this. Get through it once and never look back again.

And this time, ladies and gentlemen, my run is extraordinary. I easily wipe the floor of the first group of covenant positions with the mammoth's mounted rocket pods. Then grab a sniper to do some counter-sniping before arming a marine with a rocket launcher and jumping into a warthog to take out the first wraith and ghosts. With that down I can easily grab the target designator, aim it at the reinforcements above and blow them to kingdom come. Flawless.

Next up is the three generators. From the mammoth I use the rocket pods to take out ghosts and turrets, the sniper to down elite leaders on the field, and then move in with the battle rifle to take out the generators - one at a time - giving ample time for the mammoth to re-position itself between each takedown. Flawless.

Next comes the hard part with the seemingly endless waves of Wraiths and Ghosts, but this time I'm ready. I've barely dented my ammo supply, still have fully functional warthogs and rocket pods on the mammoth, and I take a moment to down one dropship with the mini-mac before bee-lining my way to the gauss hog waiting below.

I drive cautiously, staying out of the wraith's plasma turret range, taking potshots at the ghosts and wraiths alike, before doing my circuit around the back of the mammoth to replenish my shields. Allied troops grab the other warthog and I stay behind them so that they can take the brunt of the enemy aggro, while providing ample time for my gauss gunner to aim and destroy each vehicle in our path.

I start to feel the creeping joy of victory - this level - what I would normally classify as the worst in Halo history, with its neutered target designator, its invisible walls, its shallow but deadly streams, its weapon racks filled to the brim with assault rifles while the enemy fields waves of wraiths and ghosts - this level - was unfolding perfectly according to my plans, and what had seemed so mindless and razor's edge cheap/difficult on legendary was the same level I was just about to heroically ball-punch, solo legendary no less. Good times. And I figured it would only get better as I laid waste to the final ghost, which settled into a fireball next to the wreckage of all of the other covenant vehicles.

Checkpoint complete.

New Objective: Board enemy vessel.

Sweet, sweet victory.

So now all I have to do now is get on board the lich, which is parked right up... Uhh. Well its supposed to be parked right up- Where the hell is the lich? We ran, ran up to the top of the hill overlooking the scene of carnage, with a few fellow marines spread out around me, and the lich was not only not at the top of the hill like it was supposed to be, it was literally nowhere.

You've got to be kidding me.

Now I've spent the past half an hour trying to activate some elusive trigger event that would set the world aright. A slap to the game's face so it would remember that its actually supposed to keep going. But alas, reloading the previous checkpoint still puts me in the aftermath of the battle, with no lich anywhere. Saving out entirely and resuming is no different. I've tried suiciding off the cliff walls a bunch of times in the hopes the game would take mercy upon my plight and pick an earlier, functional checkpoint. My pleas were not answered.

I tried 343. I tried to find the joy in this level, and went over and above my normal thresholds of patience and tolerance. But I just can't win here, even when I win.

Fuck this mission, and may the gaming gods salmon-slap whoever designed it and whoever scripted it.

Tzeentch

Reclaimer is SUPER buggy (especially the Mammoth itself in the section where it gets disabled, too bad I can't share some hilarious moments with it rolling back and forth and stuff clipping through mountains). But that section before you board is super easy on Legendary (albeit boring). Before the Mammoth rolls to a stop run ahead and grab the gauss hog (because it has a Marine in the passenger seat it will be blown to crap in seconds after the Wraith appears, so be quick). Then drive it behind the Mammoth and far enough so that the Marine won't come over and try and get aboard (which will end in your death because the AI drivers are dumb as dirt). Then hop in the gun and you can shoot down everything with the Mammoth blocking the way. And since the enemy AI is also dumb as dirt in a vehicle, it's just a shooting gallery.

When you board the ship just thruster up to the top of the ship using the side gunport openings and there is a nice little spot where you just drop down right next to the reactor. Blow that up and jump off. Didn't even need to kill anything but the dudes in the first section when you grav-lift up.

Hardest part in that entire mission was getting to the crashed Pelican early on because well ... the AI detects when you are aiming at it and they kept hiding behind the hills and the rocket launcher was destroyed on that side. Yeah, it's pretty obvious too that the AI moves when your aiming reticule is on them. Not quite as bad as some of the stuff in Reach, but it's lame. Oh yeah and the AI is so terrible that getting in a vehicle with them as driver is suicide, and they only shoot at stuff within a few meters when they are gunner so they are no help.

So I got this for myself for Christmas (came before, but I wrapped and saved it until the 25th) and what's the deal with the multiplayer playlists? It seems like there's so few, and there isn't any Big Team Objective?

Otherwise from the relatively little I've played so far (multiplayer and campaign) it's pretty fantastic. Love Jennifer Hale as that voice for when you boot up multiplayer/character in Spartan Ops (which I haven't started, but just watched the first video.)

I just got a capture card and I am trying my hand at streaming sine Halo 4. If anyone wants to poke their head in and check it out. join me here.

Let me know if you see/hear any issues. Thanks duders.

Edit: done for the night. It seems the upstream on my connection is terrible... :( time for new internet!

Finished up my solo legendary run last night, and yeah, that included a redo of the Reclaimer mission from the start.

The more I play through campaign the more I like it. Its lacking in flow between missions, and objectives feel nearly random, but there are some good battles to be had.

Most surprising to me was that the toughest encounter in the game was in Composer, and it was a small two level room filled with jackals, grunts and a few elites, including a camo sword wielder. I must have died a dozen times easily, and every time in a different way. Loved it though as it forced me to be creative and treat the enemies with respect. That also solidified Composer as my favorite level in the game.

One thing that I noticed is that Promethean enemy behavior really shines on legendary. Knights are more aggressive, and seem to charge when you pop one of their teammate's shields. Battlewagons especially so and I had no shortage of intense close quarters shootouts with some pissed off knights.

I also don't get the Promethean knight bullet-sponge complaint. Its not difficult to strip their shields, and takes far less time than an Elite heavy. Some common tactics I used:

* Light rifle from a distance. Pop their shields, follow up with headshots to kill. Will have to time your reload, but I'll usually do it the moment they teleport away, if they manage to. That way I can keep the fire on them, uninterrupted.
* Rail gun to pop shields, precision weapon headshot(s) to finish them off.
* Scattershot up close only takes a few shots to disintegrate any knight.
* SAW/Suppressor/AR up close until the shields are stripped, and either keep firing or backpedal with precision weapon for the headshot finisher.

Knights do react to getting sprayed, taking a scattershot hit and having their shields popped. They'll freak out and charge, or teleport, depending. What they aren't is just a heap of hit points that just sit there.

My two biggest campaign complaints: Reclaimer. The whole damn mission. And binary rifle enemies. Way to add a new class of ultimately annoying encounters. You'll play until you get insta-disintegrated and then you'll remember that enemy's exact position to try and take them out before they get a bead on you. That's weak, one-dimensional, trial-and-error-and-memorize gameplay right there, but at least the rifle is aptly named.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finished up my solo legendary run last night, and yeah, that included a redo of the Reclaimer mission from the start.

The more I play through campaign the more I like it. Its lacking in flow between missions, and objectives feel nearly random, but there are some good battles to be had.

Most surprising to me was that the toughest encounter in the game was in Composer, and it was a small two level room filled with jackals, grunts and a few elites, including a camo sword wielder. I must have died a dozen times easily, and every time in a different way. Loved it though as it forced me to be creative and treat the enemies with respect. That also solidified Composer as my favorite level in the game.

One thing that I noticed is that Promethean enemy behavior really shines on legendary. Knights are more aggressive, and seem to charge when you pop one of their teammate's shields. Battlewagons especially so and I had no shortage of intense close quarters shootouts with some pissed off knights.

I also don't get the Promethean knight bullet-sponge complaint. Its not difficult to strip their shields, and takes far less time than an Elite heavy. Some common tactics I used:

* Light rifle from a distance. Pop their shields, follow up with headshots to kill. Will have to time your reload, but I'll usually do it the moment they teleport away, if they manage to. That way I can keep the fire on them, uninterrupted.
* Rail gun to pop shields, precision weapon headshot(s) to finish them off.
* Scattershot up close only takes a few shots to disintegrate any knight.
* SAW/Suppressor/AR up close until the shields are stripped, and either keep firing or backpedal with precision weapon for the headshot finisher.

Knights do react to getting sprayed, taking a scattershot hit and having their shields popped. They'll freak out and charge, or teleport, depending. What they aren't is just a heap of hit points that just sit there.

My two biggest campaign complaints: Reclaimer. The whole damn mission. And binary rifle enemies. Way to add a new class of ultimately annoying encounters. You'll play until you get insta-disintegrated and then you'll remember that enemy's exact position to try and take them out before they get a bead on you. That's weak, one-dimensional, trial-and-error-and-memorize gameplay right there, but at least the rifle is aptly named.
I just beat it on Legendary the other day and didn't have any of these problems. I know which hallways your talking about, and for some reason those gave me WAY more trouble on Heroic than on Legendary. Either I knew how to pace myself better or they were somehow easier. Also, I only had two times where a Binary Rifle enemy caught me out of nowhere throughout the entire run, they're really nowhere near the issue beam rifle jackals were in Halo 2.

The hardest encounter for me on Legendary was probably
one of the rooms you teleport to in the final level which you eventually have to defend from the crawler assault
. That encounter sucks because when you get within a certain distance, a Binary Rifle Knight spawns who either kills you on the spot (counting for one of the two aforementioned Binary Rifle annoyances) or spawns a Watcher. Had to use the precious Incineration Cannon on him every time to avoid frustration, but on top of that the crawlers strip you away as you try to make every shot count because of the scarcity of ammo. And then even when you do fend them off, it's a crapshoot to the
portal down the little alley
with seemingly infinite crawlers spawning. You don't really have a choice as ammo begins to dry up very quickly and only Suppressor ammo is replenished which is terrible against crawlers. For some reason I had fun re-doing that bit until I got it too, made me play my best and gauge my opportunities constantly, despite being annoying.

I found Knights were more aggressive as well, but the main problem still persists with the AI where they will not pursue or search if your out of their line of sight for maybe 3 seconds. This can lead to really amusing situations where you are running around a tree with the Knight circling on the other end and eventually he just calls it a day and you get the drop on them. You know what shines on Legendary? The Scattershot inconsistency. Oddly enough it doesn't bother me in MP (inconsistency is basically the tradeoff for faster firing and bouncing vs. the shotty), but oh man is it stressful in the campaign when one shot may outright kill you from mid-range or just drop you down to where the next breeze will end you.

By far the weirdest thing about my second playthrough? The story. I actually kind of think they give you just enough story to preserve some of the mystery of the Forerunners and leave blanks for your imagination and preconceptions from the previous games to fill. I guess I'm biased because I have the Terminal context already in my head, but for the most part I think the amount of info given, specifically in the
Librarian
cutscene is delivered poetically enough to get the message across. The only part it really falls apart in is the end.
Rampant Cortana should have explained how the fuck you were still alive, and not just say "its okay we're here". There are far too many miracle survival moments in the story already, and that last leap of faith and logic is a bit much, especially if someone does not know the properties of the hardlight encasing they're in. Also, I didn't know you could fail at the end when you have to stick the grenade on the Didact, but I learned something new that day :lol

The hardest encounter for me on Legendary was probably
one of the rooms you teleport to in the final level which you eventually have to defend from the crawler assault
. That encounter sucks because when you get within a certain distance, a Binary Rifle Knight spawns who either kills you on the spot (counting for one of the two aforementioned Binary Rifle annoyances) or spawns a Watcher.
That's exactly the annoyance I'm talking about. You take out a few crawlers and he spawns in, leaving you to do what exactly? Take cover yes, otherwise you die in a heartbeat. You can try and rush him but there is no cover mid-hallway except for explosive barrel things. So you either pop in and out of cover and hope the AIs pixel perfect aim doesn't take you out, or you use the incinerator cannon, if you kept it.

I found Knights were more aggressive as well, but the main problem still persists with the AI where they will not pursue or search if your out of their line of sight for maybe 3 seconds. This can lead to really amusing situations where you are running around a tree with the Knight circling on the other end and eventually he just calls it a day and you get the drop on them.
Heh. You've got a point here ;P

By far the weirdest thing about my second playthrough? The story. I actually kind of think they give you just enough story to preserve some of the mystery of the Forerunners and leave blanks for your imagination and preconceptions from the previous games to fill.
The more I play the more I agree with this, and think that reading the latest books actually hurts the experience - something a poster in the spoiler thread hypothesized. Its true... BUT the actual in-game story still seems weak and disjointed and doesn't amount to much at all. Its just even worse if you've read the books, strange enough.

LosDaddie

Banned
HaloGAF-Who-Still-Enjoys-Halo: Let's get some games going tonight! I should be free starting around 10pm EST.

I'm game for anything, really. I'd like to do some Crimson DLC for the cheevos, if anyone's interested.

GT: LosDaddie
Send me a FR on XBL, or post here and I'll add you later today.

The more I play through campaign the more I like it.

You're a better man than me. :lol Not even going to lie, I did the 'Load Last Checkpoint on Legendary' method for my solo Legendary run, and it worked. But hey, I did Heroic solo, and then Legendary co-op beforehand, so whatevs.

From what I did play solo on Legendary, I agree with you about the AI forcing me to rethink my strategy for each encounter. I didn't really have a problem with Knights, either. I either would find a PP to pop the shields, or just use the Light Rifle to take them out from a distance, or just rush them with a Scattershot and then find some cover until my shields recharged. I also found it was best to concentrate on the Prometheans when
they were fighting the Covenant

I'm pretty much done with the campaign unless one of my friends wants me to help him with co-op. It was a lot of fun, but I'll stick to WAr Games and Spartan Ops.

rofl - someone posted this on HBO last night. Something to think about if Boltshot campers are getting to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UgJjxPyCY
Posted the video and my friends/acquaintances replied with this:
Acquaintance: There are so many ways to counter the boltshot ppl need to stop complaining.

Friend: Ditto, So agreed.

Me: HLS, PV, and TP Armor Ability give players a slight chance to Counter Bolshot users. Lets add a scenario using only Loadout weapons in a game excluding Ordnance Weapons. Simply camping with it and charge shooting adds a greater advantage rather the opposing player being aware of it or not...
*Facepalm*

Fuchsdh

Lol, interesting. Not sure if I'm willing to give up Hologram, though.

They'll boltshot the hologram, then.

Alternatively, you use PV to see them and flush them out with grenades.

Plenty of options to use, although I do think camo is too buff when combined with crouching snipers and CQC still.

Arnie

My wireless RX unit just stopped working randomly the other day, is it worth speaking to them about it or should I just buy a new one?

So I've been playing more Halo. Not done with the campaign yet, but did a bunch of Spartan Ops levels today as well as multiplayer. Spartan Ops is really a sidegrade from Firefight. It's an acceptable replacement, but it doesn't quite fill the same niche. I do like the story framing though, while Firefight was more arcadey. Sort of like getting bite-sized campaign expansion packs.

But one thing that's bothered me is the horrid FPS dips when playing larger team games. Honestly probably the worst drops I've seen on any 360 game. Don't know how much that's been discussed, but it's really unacceptable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The more I play the more I agree with this, and think that reading the latest books actually hurts the experience - something a poster in the spoiler thread hypothesized. Its true... BUT the actual in-game story still seems weak and disjointed and doesn't amount to much at all. Its just even worse if you've read the books, strange enough.
Well, I'm glad I didn't read the books then! haha

I don't have a problem with the story overall, I actually think the gameplay and story go hand in hand and are well paced, it's just the
Librarian info-dump and ending lolwut moment
could've been handled better. The story actually makes me really excited for the future of the series.

HaloGAF-Who-Still-Enjoys-Halo: Let's get some games going tonight! I should be free starting around 10pm EST.

I'm game for anything, really. I'd like to do some Crimson DLC for the cheevos, if anyone's interested.

Gah, I'll try to make this but no promises. What achievements you still need? I only need the one for getting a kill in the air in a Warthog.

Fuchsdh

Anybody know if the explosives perk provides its defensive bonus when you're in a vehicle? Does it make vehicles you drive more resistant to grenades?

You dodged a bullet I'm tellin ya.

Hey now the books are quality.

As for explosives perk, I think it's just for yourself. Only vehicle bonuses are the Operator/Wheelman stuff.

Anybody know if the explosives perk provides its defensive bonus when you're in a vehicle? Does it make vehicles you drive more resistant to grenades?

You dodged a bullet I'm tellin ya.

Books for the most part are pretty good for what they are...which are books based on videogame fiction.

IHaveIce

Banned

You're a better man than me. :lol Not even going to lie, I did the 'Load Last Checkpoint on Legendary' method for my solo Legendary run, and it worked. But hey, I did Heroic solo, and then Legendary co-op beforehand, so whatevs.

From what I did play solo on Legendary, I agree with you about the AI forcing me to rethink my strategy for each encounter. I didn't really have a problem with Knights, either. I either would find a PP to pop the shields, or just use the Light Rifle to take them out from a distance, or just rush them with a Scattershot and then find some cover until my shields recharged. I also found it was best to concentrate on the Prometheans when
they were fighting the Covenant

I'm pretty much done with the campaign unless one of my friends wants me to help him with co-op. It was a lot of fun, but I'll stick to WAr Games and Spartan Ops.
this phrase is so dumb.. I love Halo, but I don't enjoy Halo 4 because it doesn't feel like Halo IMO

I have had similar experiences with them, and love my A40s more than anything. Baily on the other hand bought the ones with the wireless Mix amp when they first came out and it broke within a few months. He has contacted them countless times and talked to the people at the booth at PAX each year and continues to get screwed around, which is really bizarre given how good of service I get from them.

Snubbers

I'm very much LTTP with Halo 4 (Only got it yesterday!), but I'm in awe at the visuals and SP experience so far..

I'm very much a casual and only do the SP campaigns primarily, but I had to just say that 343 have done an amazing job and the whole framerate/smoothness/lighting just gave me that same feeling I had when I first played Halo on the original Xbox..

Folks, I've been reading this thread and am somewhat sad to see so many of you not happy with Halo 4. :/
I'm loving it. I'm going for 100% completion. I'm fully enjoying War Games (playing with my friends exclusively w/ voice chat), Spartan Ops on Legendary, Legendary Campaign Solo & Co-Op, etc.
I'm not anything special at it. I think I'm decent (K/D around 1) but what matters is that I enjoy playing it. I'm not bothered by many things that I read here (certain op weapons, playlist issues, ...)
Dunno, I just wanted to write this. I fully respect the opinions of all you who don't like the game. I hope the game gets better for you and/or you find something better to play.

Folks, I've been reading this thread and am somewhat sad to see so many of you not happy with Halo 4. :/
I'm loving it. I'm going for 100% completion. I'm fully enjoying War Games (playing with my friends exclusively w/ voice chat), Spartan Ops on Legendary, Legendary Campaign Solo & Co-Op, etc.
I'm not anything special at it. I think I'm decent (K/D around 1) but what matters is that I enjoy playing it. I'm not bothered by many things that I read here (certain op weapons, playlist issues, ...)
Dunno, I just wanted to write this. I fully respect the opinions of all you who don't like the game. I hope the game gets better for you and/or you find something better to play.

Im willing to wager that you never really played much Halo in the past? Or perhaps didn't really take it very seriously in the past?

Not that thats a bad thing, its just I find that people who where not really into Halo before find it easier to tolerate a lot of the games 'faults' - whereas some of the guys that loved Halo before find it too much of a departure from the gameplay they once enjoyed. Of course there are tons of people who loved Halo and love Halo 4 - but im just curious what your background is with the series?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So just got around to playing split screen War Games for the first time.
How did this mode pass as acceptable? Frame rate is awful. Feels like you're playing at sub 15 fps on Complex. If it is this bad 2 player, I can't imagine 4 player.

Just when I was starting to enjoy this game again it finds another way to disappoint me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is this thread generally for people who like the game? I should probably post in here more often.

Ive been using the carbine and its funny how much it throws people off their rhytm in battles.

I was using it yesterday and it was seriously an uphill battle. I mean, I was still dominating because the people we were playing against sucked but jeez it would have been so much easier with a DMR. Also, did you find you were running out of ammo all the time with that gun? I had to hunt for weapons each time I got a few kills in a row. That AR secondary I had was clutch.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Is this thread generally for people who like the game? I should probably post in here more often.

I was using it yesterday and it was seriously an uphill battle. I mean, I was still dominating because the people we were playing against sucked but jeez it would have been so much easier with a DMR. Also, did you find you were running out of ammo all the time with that gun? I had to hunt for weapons each time I got a few kills in a row. That AR secondary I had was clutch.

Yeah. Oddly enough i was staying alive longer than i would with any other rifle. Its good for just messing around when you're bored

Top Bottom