• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

LosDaddie

Banned
At this point its hard not to sound like a broken record but this game is seriously unplayable. There is no joy to be had playing this game in an even semi serious manner.

Exactly.

I can still play this game with a group of friends for funsies, because its just dicking around with awesome people.

But the moment you try and play to win, game becomes infuriating.

Nah, Halo 4 is great fun. I gues it just depends on your approach to gaming. I like to win as well, but I mainly want to have fun.

LosDaddie

Banned
I enjoy playing the game and have nothing negative - at least nothing that would justify me writing about it.
Campaign on Legendary, currently at chap. 4
Spartan Ops Legendary with my buddy (we're on ep 4)
and multiplayer on and off when I grab the time. So I'm good.
But yea, the lack of general
positive
enthusiasm for the game is somewhat depressing. But it is what it is...

eh, nothing unexpected if you've read HaloGAF in the past. It's pretty obvious what Halo game they want.

I'm afraid to post that I enjoy this game.

Don't be. There's a few of us who play H4 on the weekends. What's your GT? I'll add you. PM me it if you don't want it posted here.

Shame on you for actually enjoying a critically acclaimed game that the turbonerds here hate.

:lol

EDIT: Double post...sorry

Tawpgun

Nah, Halo 4 is great fun. I gues it just depends on your approach to gaming. I like to win as well, but I mainly want to have fun.

But that's what I'm saying. I have fun on Halo 4 if I'm playing just for shits and gigs. But I can play any game for shits and gigs and have fun.

But I also really like playing to win because of the thrill and satisfaction of it. But the problem is, Halo 4's changes make competitive play a fucking mess. There's just so much random elements and bullshit design and things begging for abuse. I know those are all buzzwords and vague complaints, but I've gone over my issues with the game constructively before, countless times, and if you're really curious I'd post them again for you.

eh, nothing unexpected if you've read HaloGAF in the past. It's pretty obvious what Halo game they want.

HaloGAF is a mixed bag. It's just some voices are louder than others. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you probably think HaloGAF wants Halo 2 HD. Or Halo 3.5. Or Halo CE 2. And there are people who basically want those, but the vast majority of people who are discontent with Halo 4 just want a more complete, and fair experience.

Gameplay wise, we want to minimize PROGRAMMED randomness. Things like random power weapons and to some degree, not knowing what your opponent is packing due to custom loadouts. We also think decisions like instant respawn are bad. Then there's also the issue of balance, with some players being against things like the boltshot, plasma shit in BTB, some of the perks being OP, AA's being OP or promoting shitty gameplay, DMR being too powerful, BR being too weak, etc etc.

Content wise, and this is something that is FACT and cannot be disputed. We want a Halo game that has AT THE VERY MINIMUM LEAST the same feature set and customization as the previous game. Halo 4's file browser JUST came online yesterday. Online file browser is supposed to launch sometime in February. We have ranks coming in at that time too. No word on video rendering. No word on adding in the gametypes that were cut. No word on adding more options to Flood(Infection) to make it the custom game powerhouse it used to be. No word on even fixing the options that are broken (instant respawn)

blamite

The problem for me is that I can't even play it "just for fun," there are so many random elements and inconsistencies that there's no coherence to anything that happens over the course of a single match. When weapons are dropping randomly all over the map and everyone has unpredictable powerups or weapons from Personal Ordnance and loadouts, each game just feels like a random series of events with no relation to each other. There's no sense of "oh, if we had been controlling this area we could have stopped them from getting the rockets," because they just happened to spawn on the enemies' side of the map. And when it doesn't feel like what I'm doing has any impact on the game's events, I just cannot get myself to care about what's happening.

This would all be much, much worse if I really cared about winning and doing well.

LosDaddie

Banned
But that's what I'm saying. I have fun on Halo 4 if I'm playing just for shits and gigs. But I can play any game for shits and gigs and have fun.

But I also really like playing to win because of the thrill and satisfaction of it. But the problem is, Halo 4's changes make competitive play a fucking mess. There's just so much random elements and bullshit design and things begging for abuse. I know those are all buzzwords and vague complaints, but I've gone over my issues with the game constructively before, countless times, and if you're really curious I'd post them again for you.

Again, I believe our approach is different. I, too, play to win every time I boot up Halo, but my main goal is to have fun. If a game is frustrating to me, then I trade it in and move onto the next game where I'll have fun. Gaming for me is something I do at the end of the day for 1-2hrs before going to bed. I'm a Gamer-Dad. I don't have time for tourneys. I don't have time to play hours on end like I did back in my college days (and even then, I was busy doing other things).

And no need to re-post your H4 critique. I've read them. I may not post in the Halo OT much, but I do lurk there.

HaloGAF is a mixed bag. It's just some voices are louder than others. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you probably think HaloGAF wants Halo 2 HD. Or Halo 3.5. Or Halo CE 2. And there are people who basically want those, but the vast majority of people who are discontent with Halo 4 just want a more complete, and fair experience.

HaloGAF is indeed a mixed bag, but the general consensus on how to 'fix' Halo is not all that different among the regulars. It's mainly a plea for 'Classic' playlists that eliminate all the features/systems introduced since Halo 3, and ranks & such. Or how the MLG/Arena playlists in Reach were the only playable ones. What that boils down to essentially is Halo 2 HD. While I do very much enjoy Halo 4, I also would like to see a Classic playlist. I've been playing Halo since the beginning, so I do understand where the complaints come from.

I do agree about the missing features, at least for War Games stuff. 343 should've had those features in there since the beginning. The community needs that stuff, even if I don't use it. I take the Theater mode being gone from the campaign as a compromise for the great graphics.

The problem for me is that I can't even play it "just for fun,"

That's a bummer, man. I'd like to see a Classic playlist for that old school Halo feels, but I do enjoy the new stuff.

exYle

Debates about what makes Halo 4 bad, mediocre, or unsatisfactory aren't interesting to read any more. There hasn't been a single original thought in HaloGAF or amongst any Halo enthusiasts for months now. Any well-written opinions are just rehashes of the same content already stated thousands of times and shorter, blunter opinions are circlejerks of "Halo is dead." At this point I'd prefer that Halo as a topic get fucking banned from this forum rather than read another thesis on why Global Ordnance is awful or another dissertation on how the Boltshot ruined Halo.

Overdoziz

Banned
Debates about what makes Halo 4 bad, mediocre, or unsatisfactory aren't interesting to read any more. There hasn't been a single original thought in HaloGAF or amongst any Halo enthusiasts for months now. Any well-written opinions are just rehashes of the same content already stated thousands of times and shorter, blunter opinions are circlejerks of "Halo is dead." At this point I'd prefer that Halo as a topic get fucking banned from this forum rather than read another thesis on why Global Ordnance is awful or another dissertation on how the Boltshot ruined Halo.
How about you add something worthwhile then instead of complaining about it?

exYle

How about you add something worthwhile then instead of complaining about it?

What would I say? Arguments in favor of Halo 4 are just as played out as criticisms and have much less solid basis of logic. The game is inherently chaotic and people like or dislike that based on their subjective criteria. In December, the people taking positions against said chaos had strongly-written, well thought out arguments. In late January, the exact same arguments are being stated from different people using different words, and the people opposing them are saying nothing more than "well I still like it." It's a back-and-forth with zero resolution and it is EXHAUSTING to read.

Tawpgun

What would I say? Arguments in favor of Halo 4 are just as played out as criticisms and have much less solid basis of logic. The game is inherently chaotic and people like or dislike that based on their subjective criteria. In December, the people taking positions against said chaos had strongly-written, well thought out arguments. In late January, the exact same arguments are being stated from different people using different words, and the people opposing them are saying nothing more than "well I still like it." It's a back-and-forth with zero resolution and it is EXHAUSTING to read.

It's a cycle. We post our actual constructive criticisms. There is some nitpicking but everyone generally agrees. No one wants to expend all that effort to write novels so we shorten it to RIP Halo because its a funny joke thing. People say we aren't constructive.

and so on

exYle

It's a cycle. We post our actual constructive criticisms. There is some nitpicking but everyone generally agrees. No one wants to expend all that effort to write novels so we shorten it to RIP Halo because its a funny joke thing. People say we aren't constructive.

and so on

Is part of the cycle nostalgia-tinted goggles, or was Halo 3-era HaloGAF a really nice place to be?

Striker

Is part of the cycle nostalgia-tinted goggles, or was Halo 3-era HaloGAF a really nice place to be?
Way smaller community after the initial hype died down, but it was still mainly complaints over poor matchmaking decisions and AR-BR bullshit.

Tawpgun

Only lurked in H3GAF, but early Reach gaf and Reach Gaf in general seemed nicer.

GAF also played more together back then because people enjoyed the game.

Tawpgun

I can only imagine how bad it was for reach.

Not as bad as what H4 did to the community.

From what I understand people constantly played H3 with one another. There were huge GAF custom nights. When Reach came out this continued for a while, but eventually people were getting bored even in customs. Bunch of people played occasionally, it wasn't too difficult to find some HaloGAF people to play with.

Like we would literally post, "Who wants to Dong in Squad Slayer" and we'd have a lobby to go in 10 minutes or less.

But people got more bored and annoyed at the game. But we knew Halo 4 was supposed to be the saving grace. Especially after we got fed that BR Slayer Gif and the conan clips.

But then the game came out and the honeymoon period, if there even was one, was SUPER short. People outright sold the game, stopped playing. Long time fans like Ghaleon just outright don't play anymore. Fuckin sucks.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It used to be hard to get into Halo 3 HaloGAF nights. Used to have like 2 parties full to the brim.

I swear, I'm one of the few people who thought H3 MP was terrible, huge step back from H2, Reach brought it even further back, and H4, all the randomness aside, has a much better gameplay feel than 3 IMO.

I thought the H3 Beta was fantastic.

Tawpgun

I swear, I'm one of the few people who thought H3 MP was terrible, huge step back from H2, Reach brought it even further back, and H4, all the randomness aside, has a much better gameplay feel than 3 IMO.

I thought the H3 Beta was fantastic.
Halo 4's core gameplay is fantastic. It's all the bullshit they added on top that ruins it.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just finished the game. Halo series had been constantly souring for me over the years. No game reached the high of Halo 1 for me. Just got 360 so I also played Reach first, then anniversary, then 3 and then 4. Honestly, wasnt so excited to go in 4 after 3. But holy shit! Amazing game! 343 simply hit a home run with this one. Definitely in top 10 for me this gen. What an incredible game. After a long long time I got the 'things are actually at stake' feeling in this game. Gameplay was perfect, voice acting great and the graphics super-awesome. Cant say it looks as good as Uncharted 2 or 3, but its slightly more open than them and is very close. Hats off to 343.
The game also made a point about how important graphics are too. The game looking so good helped me being immersed in the atmosphere and made me appreciate the scale more. Cant wait for next-gen.

Kinda funny now that I'm a level 130, all these challenges and commendations are being unlocked left and right, haha.

Get out of my head!

K0bUm.gif

8zj1U5Z.gif

But I agree. Grifball is very competitive actually. Funny how it's reversed:

-Grifball has equal starts, you know what you're up against and there's little randomness.
-Slayer has unequal starts, good luck guessing what your enemy has with Personal Ordnances and there is so much randomness.

Get over it already. Always the same shit in this thread. Havent been here in weeks and theyre still saying the same shit. God damn.

So what's the deal with the Majestic map pack? It's February and yet I haven't heard anything on it. Shouldn't we be getting a preview of the pack by now?

minolta1034

Neo Member
So what's the deal with the Majestic map pack? It's February and yet I haven't heard anything on it. Shouldn't we be getting a preview of the pack by now?

We got the Crimson Map Pack trailer about 2 weeks before the release of the pack, Majestic is being released on the 25th so if that pattern holds true we should see a trailer around the 11th. That being a Monday my guess is they might hold it off until the coming weeks bulletin on the 13th or so.

Aside from the concept art they are keeping it pretty close to the chest.

heckfu

Banned
We got the Crimson Map Pack trailer about 2 weeks before the release of the pack, Majestic is being released on the 25th so if that pattern holds true we should see a trailer around the 11th. That being a Monday my guess is they might hold it off until the coming weeks bulletin on the 13th or so.

Aside from the concept art they are keeping it pretty close to the chest.

found you.

Thought I'd cross-post this from the community thread. I'm working on a project to revise the weapons sandbox into a more concise group (save for the Loadouts, which have such specific sandbox roles in the first place that it's easier to balance a large number of them) and retool a few other portions of the game such as Armor Abilities in an overall project I'm calling Instruments of War. This is an up-to-date listing of all the weapons.

qDhzOrw.png

exYle

Thought I'd cross-post this from the community thread. I'm working on a project to revise the weapons sandbox into a more concise group (save for the Loadouts, which have such specific sandbox roles in the first place that it's easier to balance a large number of them) and retool a few other portions of the game such as Armor Abilities in an overall project I'm calling Instruments of War. This is an up-to-date listing of all the weapons.

Do you have ideas of what these new weapons should be, or are they currently just placeholders?

Do you have ideas of what these new weapons should be, or are they currently just placeholders?

All the new weapons have functions in mind. Some still need balancing, but it's just the support weapons (assault cannon/gamma mortar/ultramortar) that need fleshed out.

Specifics for individual weapons will be revealed shortly.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just watched the new Spartan Ops and fuck yes, this series is so fun for fiction fans. Admiral Osman? awwwww yeah! I've been too spoiled recently with the game, SpOps and reading Thursday War and now Primordium back to back. I'm gonna need another fiction fix damn soon.

Top Bottom