• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

You address that by lowering the weight of Ragnarok and taking it out of the top slot. If the choice is random, then there's no control over this.

No because that would simply address Ragnarok. People will just all move on to another map. Really, they should just get rid of voting all together but if they must keep it in, at least make it randomly choose between ties to keep a level of variety going. Otherwise, you have everyone flocking onto the same shit endlessly and unfortunately, it's set up in a way that lets those people have their way right now. Random is the way to go (or better yet, ridding of voting).

FyreWulff

No because that would simply address Ragnarok. People will just all move on to another map. Really, they should just get rid of voting all together but if they must keep it in, at least make it randomly choose between ties to keep a level of variety going. Otherwise, you have everyone flocking onto the same shit endlessly and unfortunately, it's set up in a way that lets those people have their way right now. Random is the way to go (or better yet, ridding of voting).

So what happens when the RNG just chooses Ragnarok a lot?

So what happens when the RNG just chooses Ragnarok a lot?

If I at least know it's choosing randomly, I can deal with it. I might gripe at my misfortune, but at least I wouldn't quit a hopper all together because I'm virtually guaranteed to play the same map or two every damn time.

TUROK

So I recent got Black Ops 2, and to my complete surprise, the sound design is fucking good. The explosions are loud and the weapons sound powerful.

We are finally at a point where Call of Duty has surpassed Halo in sound design. What the fuck, 343?! Get your shit together.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So I recent got Black Ops 2, and to my complete surprise, the sound design is fucking good. The explosions are loud and the weapons sound powerful.

We are finally at a point where Call of Duty has surpassed Halo in sound design. What the fuck, 343?! Get your shit together.

Someone doesnt remember how terrible sounding Reach was.

BO2's sound design is hit and miss. Every explosion sounds the same and close to you.

MIMIC

Banned
That still leaves you with broken loadouts...Boltshot, Camo, Jetpack, Stickies. I think most other people would agree with your other suggestions, myself included.

In an ideal world for me, Boltshot, Camo, Jetpack, Stickies are all map pick ups and can never be started with in the game. Camo to me is the most ridiculous out of the bunch, and I had similar feelings with Reach...seriously what asshole at Bungie managed to convince an entire Dev team that an item that was once a POWER UP should be a thing players can start with and then 343i failed to address it.

Maybe I'm the only one, but 9 times out of 10, I am almost NEVER caught off guard by someone with camo. With the radar jam thing, you always know that one of those guys is around. So I stand completely still and wait for them come out of hiding. As SOON as I see that Saran Wrap blur on my screen, I get to shootin. Sure I may not always be successful but they almost never sneak up on me.

As for the Boltshot...I've been killed enough times to know that it's never a good idea to try and surprise someone who camps around a corner. But it IS still annoying. That weapon is way too powerful to be in a loadout.

And stickies....ugh. SO fucking lame to have these as a loadout option.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I couldn't disagree more. Reach's weapons sounded distinct, clean, and powerful. The sound design was purposeful, functional, and consistent. Please elaborate on why you perceive it to be "terrible", if you would.

Majority of the weapons sounded weak and frail like toy guns, especially the dmr. Weapon sounds in general were thin an did nothing to make me feel like im firing a weapon and im not the only one who feels this way. Thats not to say that it was all bad. I liked the way the grenade launcher, snipe/carbine sounded. Other weapons had no real audible impact.

Karl2177

Majority of the weapons sounded weak and frail like toy guns, especially the dmr. Weapon sounds in general were thin an did nothing to make me feel like im firing a weapon and im not the only one who feels this way. Thats not to say that it was all bad. I liked the way the grenade launcher, snipe/carbine sounded. Other weapons had no real audible impact.

I'd honestly say of the Bungie Halo games, Reach had the best audio for the weapons. Each weapon had a distinct sound and you could quickly distinguish what weapon was being fired. On top of that, they sounded more powerful than what they were. The AR sounded like a beast, but that thing was terrible(unless you were using Jetpack of course). That being said, I love the human weapon audio for Halo 4, but the Covenant side is really weak.

No real audio impact?

I beg to disagree.

Toy guns. Yeah right.

Overdoziz

Banned
Regardless of the weapon sound effects, at least in Reach you can hear everything clearly. I just played some Reach MLG and I it was pretty amazing how easily you can distinguish sounds and where they originate from. I recall one specific moment very well. I threw two grenades down long hall on The Pit while I was going into green hall: the first further away and the second a bit closer to me. The moment the second grenade exploded I heard a grunt made by the Spartan and I heard his shields pop. I immediately knew there was a guy on low health on my side of long hall so I backed up and finished him off with a headshot. Moments like that make me really appreciate Halo Reach's audio (and my headset *cough*).

In Halo 4 the audio mixing is so weird that way too often you simply don't hear certain noises. In the short time that I played the game I got splattered several times by Ghosts from behind that I couldn't even hear.

Myabe you guys need better home theater systems because I find Halo 4 to sound great. Very solid surround sound implementation. I mainly use the UNSC weapons, and they sound powerful.
Sounds don't even play sometimes. Music is overly compressed in parts. Objectively worse. Subjectively, the game is just fuckin' noisy. Much more difficult to interpret than Reach and 3.

I do like the neat frequency shift effect on the Battle Rifle. The tone of each burst raises as the clip empties.

Sounds don't even play sometimes. Music is overly compressed in parts. Objectively worse. Subjectively, the game is just fuckin' noisy. Much more difficult to interpret than Reach and 3.

I do like the neat frequency shift effect on the Battle Rifle. The tone of each burst raises as the clip empties.

You forget the looping noise of the regen field getting bugged and looping all game.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool effect. Haven't been able to tell if any other weapons do something similar, but I don't think so.

I'm pretty disappointed with the overall sounds of Halo 4. None of the guns sound that great, and there are far too many times where the audio just cuts out or converts to what you're supposed to hear from a distance. Or, if you're unlucky enough to pass through a regen field, it distorts the sounds even after you've moved on, sometimes for the rest of the game (Spartan Ops is really notorious for this).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Don't forget no armor abilities!
And no personal ordnance! (static weapons spawns too I believe?)
Going to be glorious.

I just cant wait to get away from the borderline retarded general populace. The cloaking crouching bolt shot people..the teammates who love pushing you into fire/granades and love to stand if front of you as youre about to fire the rail gun. the pro playlist cant come soon enough.

Maybe I'm the only one, but 9 times out of 10, I am almost NEVER caught off guard by someone with camo. With the radar jam thing, you always know that one of those guys is around. So I stand completely still and wait for them come out of hiding. As SOON as I see that Saran Wrap blur on my screen, I get to shootin. Sure I may not always be successful but they almost never sneak up on me.

As for the Boltshot...I've been killed enough times to know that it's never a good idea to try and surprise someone who camps around a corner. But it IS still annoying. That weapon is way too powerful to be in a loadout.

And stickies....ugh. SO fucking lame to have these as a loadout option.

Never an issue of being surprised, I always know one is around due to the radar, but I've been killed enough times by someone with Camo because a.) I'm busy fighting someone else and I lose track of them or b.) I know they're there, I'm looking for them, but since I can't QUITE see them, they get the first couple shots on me and I lose.

As for the Boltshot, as much as I know people carry it in their loadout, I play very aggressively and will still take mine out (yeah I use it too, I'm not dumb enough NOT to use it) and will try to (usually successfully) out Boltshot them, but still, it needs a tweak.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Hahahahaha wot

Fuckin thing sounds like a god damn mini nuke. Turn yo headphones up.

Friendly fire? ugh. I'm staying the hell away then. Never again will I be subjected to some douche betraying me because I got to the sniper first, if I can help it. It's a shame because I like all the other aspects of the hopper.

LosDaddie

Banned

Give me some examples to look out for this weekend. I'll try to see if I hear the same things. I typically don't have any problems with the sound.

You forget the looping noise of the regen field getting bugged and looping all game.

I was thinking I remember hearing this bug too, but then I remembered it was from ME3. I use the REgen Field for SpOps, and have never heard this bug. Is it MP only?

What a bad post.

Still better than your trolling :)

Striker

Not in Reach.
It sounds fine in Reach. The toy guys are things like Halo 2's SMG or Halo 3's Assault Rifle. I cannot think of any gun in Reach that really sounded poorly. Each were pretty unique and that's what mattered in the gameplay. The shield feedback system was great too, which is unfortunate Halo 4 didn't carry over extremely well.

The Carbine is pretty good, but I've hated the new sounds they made for Covenant weapons in Halo: CEA and Halo 4.

It sounds fine in Reach. The toy guys are things like Halo 2's SMG or Halo 3's Assault Rifle. I cannot think of any gun in Reach that really sounded poorly. Each were pretty unique and that's what mattered in the gameplay. The shield feedback system was great too, which is unfortunate Halo 4 didn't carry over extremely well.

The Carbine is pretty good, but I've hated the new sounds they made for Covenant weapons in Halo: CEA and Halo 4.

H2 SMG and H3 AR are the most egregious offenders of shitty toy gun sounds by far.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If it were me doing it..
-halve the boltshot's range
-reduce dmr's firing rate
-increase carbine's range and accuracy to match dmr's
-increase light rifle's zoomed out firing rate
-buff storm rifle and suppressor into relevancy
thats all i got at the moment

If it were me doing it..

Carbine is accurate as hell as it is...people's aim just goes wacky because of how much they're pulling the trigger and how many shots they have to hit to get a kill since the enemy can move around a lot more in that timeframe

exYle

If it were me doing it..

Storm Rifle is pretty good right now. I've gotten a decent amount of kills with it.

Petrichor

If it were me doing it..

Both the storm rifle and the suppressor have their own niches - the suppressor will always win out over the AR in ultra close range and the storm rifle + the jetpack is godly on CQC maps like abandon.

The carbine certainly needs a bump and the DMR a nerf, though.

Fjordson

Playing the campaign finally (probably old news at this point for most people, but oh well) and it's fun. Looks good, sounds good, plays good. But I don't know what the hell is going on with the story. Not feelin' it with the characters or the plot =[

Havok

What is this 'pro' playlist?
Team Throwdown, a competitive playlist coming on the 18th. What we know about it so far:

Heavily modified versions of Slayer, CTF, Extraction and King of the Hill
4 vs 4
Pre-set game loadouts
Forced respawn timers
No instant respawn
Ordnance on re-supply timers
Join-in-progress off
No split-screen play
Friendly fire on
Max party size 4 with big party matching enforced
No guests allowed

The closest we're gonna get to old Halo for now.

What's up with Halo 4 lately?
Team Doubles is out, Doubles Pro is great (preset loadouts, no radar, no personal or global ordnance at play, GO replaced by traditional weapon spawns and Initial Ordnance resupplies). Infinity variants are still bad, Infinity CTF was added and the first half of the sentence applies. Team Objective coming soon, a consolidation of Team Regicide, Oddball, and King of the Hill. I assume Team Regicide exists in an objective playlist for the same reason Flag Slayer did in Reach Objective - which to my knowledge boils down to ???. Team Snipers is coming back next week and includes Shotty Snipers because the ghost of Tyson Green still haunts the office that 343 inherited from Bungie.
Is there a second map pack?
Coming later this month. We know they're small- to mid-sized. Then again, Wreckage was described as being "perfect for Regicide" and it's definitely not so who knows what that actually means.

Playing the campaign finally (probably old news at this point for most people, but oh well) and it's fun. Looks good, sounds good, plays good. But I don't know what the hell is going on with the story. Not feelin' it with the characters or the plot =[
I am curious: At which part did you start thinking that way?

Fjordson

I am curious: At which part did you start thinking that way?
This might out me as an idiot but...well, I think it was when I had to disable those jammer things that were preventing Cortana from communicating with the massive cruiser ship approaching the planet (Infinity I think).

I did it and then all of a sudden all hell broke loose. And "he" pops up and it was basically "what the shit did I just do...?" and it's been mostly hazy for me ever since. I kinda think Cortana'a rampancy issue is interesting, though.

It's surprising because I've always enjoyed the Halo universe and even read Fall of Reach last year. Not sure why I'm not quite grasping H4.

IHaveIce

Banned
This might out me as an idiot but...well, I think it was when I had to disable those jammer things that were preventing Cortana from communicating with the massive cruiser ship approaching the planet (Infinity I think).

I did it and then all of a sudden all hell broke loose. And "he" pops up and it was basically "what the shit did I just do...?" and it's been mostly hazy for me ever since. I kinda think Cortana'a rampancy issue is interesting, though.

It's surprising because I've always enjoyed the Halo universe and even read Fall of Reach last year. Not sure why I'm not quite grasping H4.

Don't worry I have lots of friends who were thinking the same thing.

Eventhough I got everything from the plot( because of the books I think) I have to admit it lacks explanation, proper build up for tension and characters and even a good ending.

I had the feeling everything went to fast for just one game, you couldn't really realize the danger you are opposed to, it didn't really felt like you saved the earth or did something amazing.

Top Bottom