• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Decided to play some Halo 4.

I tried to join a BTB game that was in progress. Sat in black screen for about 6 minutes then got kicked back to the main menu.

Neat.

Fuchsdh

I just finished a playthrough of Bioshock Infinite, and after playing this one shortly after Bioshock 1 ($5 from GoD sale) I think I can succinctly sum up my thoughts on them as "make me appreciate Halo more". The gunplay is a lot better in Infinite due to the fact that you carry only two weapons and the vigors are a little easier to use than plasmids, the addition of ADS + scoped weapons means you have more combat options, the upgrading systems are simpler and there's just more room to breathe in Columbia, but the same "30 seconds of fun" isn't there. Even skyhooking doesn't solve the fundamental problem that the campaign never has any setpieces or encounters that I feel like I can approach different ways every time like the best parts (hell, even the middling parts) of Halo's campaigns. Even Halo 4's campaign AI at its most brain-dead seems more alive than a lot of Bioshock's enemies.

Still, it's a solid story, Elizabeth is definitely a great step forward to having useful characters you can empathize with, and despite the overemphasis on repeating moments from old Bioshock games Columbia was simply a better city.

BigShow36

What is the reasoning behind not including all forge objects on every map? Is it a technical limitation?

The same reason you can't have custom control schemes. The same reason custom options can only be increased by arbitrary fixed numbers. The same reason they removed the health custom option. The same reason they decided to move the reticle away from the center of the screen. The same reason they decided to add bullet magnetism to the rocket launcher. The same reason they made the BR 5 shots. The same reason they added bloom to the game. The same reason you can't remove sprint or have classic CTF in custom games.

reggieshrugsitoff580.jpg

The same reason you can't have custom control schemes. The same reason custom options can only be increased by arbitrary fixed numbers. The same reason they removed the health custom option. The same reason they decided to move the reticle away from the center of the screen. The same reason they decided to add bullet magnetism to the rocket launcher. The same reason they made the BR 5 shots. The same reason they added bloom to the game. The same reason you can't remove sprint or have classic CTF in custom games.

Hey, at least we got fileshare.

FyreWulff

What is the reasoning behind not including all forge objects on every map? Is it a technical limitation?

Most of the time, as Fuchsdh said, memory limitations. 10% of the time, a map is near maxed out in visual complexity and a wide Forge palette would be unusable anyway. In rare cases they may be at the limit of objects storable in the Forge variant, even if you can't directly edit them but 343 can change via Super Forge.

A map where they definitely said 'fuck it' was Timberlands/Ridgeline in the Reach Anni pack, it has a wide selection of the FW palette but it starts discoing after only a few objects.

willow ve

Classic JIP. Joined a CTF game down 3-0, on a team of three players against five. Opposing team is already running the fourth cap. One of my teammates is AFK. Thanks 343.

Newt

Classic JIP. Joined a CTF game down 3-0, on a team of three players against five. Opposing team is already running the fourth cap. One of my teammates is AFK. Thanks 343.
Happened to me multiple times, at this point going into matchmaking without a full party isn't worth it.

Madness

Happened to me multiple times, at this point going into matchmaking without a full party isn't worth it.

Eh, I just don't care anymore. Stemming from a lack of in game ranks, just doesn't bother me. Meaning, I just don't care if I win or lose anymore. I still give it 100% when I play, and it's unfair and sucks that I get JiP'ed into almost instant loss games, but I still go in without a full party. Literally no one on my friends list has played this game since probably January.

Another issue I have is the fact pre and post game connectivity is at an all time low. Before you had a reason to engage with randoms. Now it's all join, play, back out, join again etc. Don't know what it is, I just don't stay with the same randoms for more than just a few games.

Nebula

Just wanted to point out that if you play Call of Duty 4 on PS3 right now, you can get double XP.

We can't even get a playlist update for Halo Reach

That's depressing. 343 need to step up their game.

I also realised that the TU will do nothing for BTB. Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenades will still be an issue, still ruin vehicle combat and still make everyone spawn as a one man vehicle destroying army.

Halo 4 will most likely become a 4 v 4 exclusive title, which is great news for some, but shit news for BTB. Slayer Pro barely comes up anymore. We need static voting options laid out like this:

[Infinity Slayer] [Slayer Pro] [Objective]

Map choice will be random. Screw weighing maps based on popularity, variety is the spice of life. I would also like Slayer Pro renamed. Having Pro anywhere makes casual players shit their pants. Call it Slayer. Simple, effective and it tells you it isn't Infinity.

That's depressing. 343 need to step up their game.

I also realised that the TU will do nothing for BTB. Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenades will still be an issue, still ruin vehicle combat and still make everyone spawn as a one man vehicle destroying army.

Halo 4 will most likely become a 4 v 4 exclusive title, which is great news for some, but shit news for BTB. Slayer Pro barely comes up anymore. We need static voting options laid out like this:

[Infinity Slayer] [Slayer Pro] [Objective]

Map choice will be random. Screw weighing maps based on popularity, variety is the spice of life. I would also like Slayer Pro renamed. Having Pro anywhere makes casual players shit their pants. Call it Slayer. Simple, effective and it tells you it isn't Infinity.

I agree with most of that but slayer titles should have radar, all previous titles with default slayer have radar. Just add a new name without pro as the slayer pro variant but keep just "slayer" as default please.

Infinity should not be default and it should remain with the infinity designation.

The slayer pro in big team seams to be the way to go, if they brought back the radar.

Suddenly the hog is actually something to be feared again and is fun to use.

willow ve

There needs to be btb maps with weapons and grenades on map though.

They should just go ahead and give that treatment to every single map. Static weapons (DMR/BR and Plasma Pistol) and grenades (both Plasma and Frag) at different places around the map. Some of these spawns should be in a base or close to initial spawns. The rest can be put in areas where there is a risk/reward scenario for getting more ammo or grenades.

Nebula

I agree with most of that but slayer titles should have radar, all previous titles with default slayer have radar. Just add a new name without pro as the slayer pro variant but keep just "slayer" as default please.

Infinity should not be default and it should remain with the infinity designation.

Yeah I forgot to mention radar. It needs to be in BTB.

There needs to be btb maps with weapons and grenades on map though.

Agree with Willow on this as well. Not only should we have basic weapons on map, but we should return to neutral power weapons on map in neutral locations that will always spawn there on a timer like in Halo Reach.

Top Bottom