• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Fracas

#fuckonami
I was a Kesha naysayer until just last week. I've had friends telling me how amazing she is for like the whole past year, and especially since Warrior came out. I always saw the appeal, but didn't feel it myself... Until last week. All aboard the Kesha train now.

Those are the exact words I've used to describe it. Especially deflated. It just wasn't satisfying. Also, Cortana's death wasn't clear to me... Like, I never really got the impression that she died. I haven't played the ending since launch, so my memories are fuzzy. I need to just cruise through it again on Heroic. I don't have the willpower or interest in playing through on Legendary.

Totally. They should have been introduced in the second act (of the trilogy). Man, I had so many ideas / dreams of what the Halo 4 campaign could / should be, and it just did not measure up.
A friend and myself are planning on a playthrough either this week or next. You're welcome to hop in if you want.

PNut

Banned
Looking forward to the update on Monday. Increased movement speed and that BR is going to be fun to play in Slayer Pro.

Going to miss the Forge playlist. Was getting really good matches in there lately. Be nice to see Onyx and Refined added into 4v4 playlists soon too.

Still confused on why Shutout in Snipers is littered with Beam Rifles and Binary Rifles though. Makes no sense.

The end wasn't that bad people. I'm still on the fence on how they should have handled it. I dislike boss battles a LOT in first person shooters, so I'm not sure how else they could have ended it without the QTE and without a boss battle.
To put it kindly, I thought it was awful, as was the entirely handling of the Didact in the game.
Campaign would've been so much better if the Covenant and UNSC weren't involved.
Yep, the premise for the game had so much potential, which went to shit the second the shockingly uninteresting and terribly written UNSC showed up (that's not a H4 exclusive, UNSC has been pretty bad from the beginning).

--------------------------------

Update sounds mostly nice, hopefully the updates to the maps mean that global ordnance is being replaced by static power weapon spawns. That's something I honestly didn't think they would do.

2 shots and melee though, fucking gross.

To put it kindly, I thought it was awful, as was the entirely handling of the Didact in the game.

Yep, the premise for the game had so much potential, which went to shit the second the shockingly uninteresting and terribly written UNSC showed up (that's not a H4 exclusive, UNSC has been pretty bad from the beginning).

I was watching the ODST Desperate Measures ViDoc the other day and noticed Buck dropping an egghead line.

And we gave Palmer so much shit..

daedalius

I was watching the ODST Desperate Measures ViDoc the other day and noticed Buck dropping an egghead line.

And we gave Palmer so much shit..

But Nathan Fillion can do no wrong.

If he says egghead its fine.

-

As for the Didact QTE... I thought it was alright; definitely better than circle strafing the Didact dodging projectiles (although with the thruster pack, that could have been cool and fun if done well).

I think it could have been handled better. Maybe just as a cool cinematic instead of the QTE; I would have been totally fine with that.

The Didact as a character has been beaten like the dead horse it is, and evidently the team knows that they could have totally handled that conflict much better already (make the terminals easy to find if they are so integral to the story, and put it on the disc!).

Hopefully we see this reflected in H5, and whatever else they plan to release in the interim. I also really hope they redo the knights, the alpha versions of them rolling into balls and getting limbs shot off seems vastly superior to the annoying teleporting, no feedback tanks we got.

Haven't jumped on Halo in a long time and this is what I see......

0GiLUCU.jpg

Halo is dead

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm excited about the weapon rebalance. Bring it onnnnn

Whoa, I didn't realize base movement speed was being bumped up to 110%. That's awesome. Still wish sprint was gone, though.

Nebula

Well. 343 can deliver.

Can't wait to get some of this TU goodness. Hopefully they jump on any issues that arise because of the TU. I really can't wait another few months for changes.

Also upping vehicle damage output is a bandaid. Sorry but it's the truth. They should hit the source, and save vehicle combat.

Well. 343 can deliver.

Can't wait to get some of this TU goodness. Hopefully they jump on any issues that arise because of the TU. I really can't wait another few months for changes.

Also upping vehicle damage output is a bandaid. Sorry but it's the truth. They should hit the source, and save vehicle combat.

They did in any of the Slayer Pro variants, for example BTB has a vote for Slayer Pro and there are forced loadouts with no plasma pistol or sticky starts. Boom 'Hog is beast again. Literally the second game I played with mates on these settings we did a Hog run on Settler for nearly the whole game and I got approx. 20 wheelmans right away.

I'm not sure what 343i's plan is for other variants or playlists, perhaps legendary is a mash up between Infinity, legacy-default and Slayer Pro.

Nebula

They did in any of the Slayer Pro variants, for example BTB has a vote for Slayer Pro and there are forced loadouts with no plasma pistol or sticky starts. Boom 'Hog is beast again. Literally the second game I played with mates on these settings we did a Hog run on Settler for nearly the whole game and I got approx. 20 wheelmans right away.

I'm not sure what 343i's plan is for other variants or playlists, perhaps legendary is a mash up between Infinity, legacy-default and Slayer Pro.

That requires people to vote for Slayer Pro, which has such a sucky weighting (in my experience at least) that I'm lucky to see it take one of the voting slots, usually on Settler which means everyone is playing Capture the Ridge anyway which is hard to take on with a Hog.

Also the Carbine loadout in Pro has a Plasma Pistol secondary.

I love the warthog in slayer pro, don't have to worry about being stuck or PP. Imagine how much better regular BTB would be if there was no PP in loadouts or stickies.

willow ve

Man the carbine sounds crazy by reading lol.

Wonder why the beam rifle didn't get a nerf.

110% mov.speed is nice!

The movement speed increase was the only thing that I didn't like about the coming update. Always makes me feel like players are skating around at 110%. Animations just fee wrong to my eyes at that speed. We already have speed. Unless the 110% drastically improves strafe (which I don't think it does) I don't see a point to this change.

IHaveIce

Banned
The movement speed increase was the only thing that I didn't like about the coming update. Always makes me feel like players are skating around at 110%. Animations just fee wrong to my eyes at that speed. We already have speed. Unless the 110% drastically improves strafe (which I don't think it does) I don't see a point to this change.
You barely can escape with normal speed with 4sk BR so they will probably have this in mind

Nebula

Less incentive to sprint and hopefully a better strafe are good things.

Weapon update sounds nice, and I'm genuinely looking forward to playing on Monday. Still sucks that there's still no word at all about the new playlist, but then again it is supposed to be called LEGENDary Slayer.

I still think 343 is missing the picture on why BTB isn't what it should be; increasing the damage of the 'hog and Mantis is the wrong solution to the problem, and it actually confirms my fear that loadouts will never be adjusted in this game.

Nebula

Weapon update sounds nice, and I'm genuinely looking forward to playing on Monday. Still sucks that there's still no word at all about the new playlist, but then again it is supposed to be called LEGENDary Slayer.

I still think 343 is missing the picture on why BTB isn't what it should be; increasing the damage of the 'hog and Mantis is the wrong solution to the problem, and it actually confirms my fear that loadouts will never be adjusted in this game.

This game isn't what worries me anymore. They've done nothing but show that they will keep loadouts in the current form no matter what, even if it breeds overpowered weapon combos and stifles the crap out of other gameplay mechanics such as Vehicle combat. It's incredibly disappointing, and if I see loadouts including such combos in H5 I will not be buying it.

Fuchsdh

This game isn't what worries me anymore. They've done nothing but show that they will keep loadouts in the current form no matter what, even if it breeds overpowered weapon combos and stifles the crap out of other gameplay mechanics such as Vehicle combat. It's incredibly disappointing, and if I see loadouts including such combos in H5 I will not be buying it.

They weren't going to totally restrict loadouts because it goes against their entire design/progression philosophy for the game and they didn't build it to selectively remove a PP here or Boltshot here, not to mention that would create serious UI problems with players spawning in missing weapons, etc.

Maybe they've "learned their lesson", heavy emphasis on the quotes there, but Halo 4 wouldn't be the place you'd see any changes. That's like expecting Bungie to have fixed equipment in Halo 3 because their implementation was flawed in Halo 3. There's only so much flexibility, time, and will to muck with a game postrelease.

The end wasn't that bad people. I'm still on the fence on how they should have handled it. I dislike boss battles a LOT in first person shooters, so I'm not sure how else they could have ended it without the QTE and without a boss battle.
Twas dire. I could only shake my head at it as it happened. I was let down that this was how they decided to end their game.
They weren't going to totally restrict loadouts because it goes against their entire design/progression philosophy for the game and they didn't build it to selectively remove a PP here or Boltshot here, not to mention that would create serious UI problems with players spawning in missing weapons, etc.

Maybe they've "learned their lesson", heavy emphasis on the quotes there, but Halo 4 wouldn't be the place you'd see any changes. That's like expecting Bungie to have fixed equipment in Halo 3 because their implementation was flawed in Halo 3. There's only so much flexibility, time, and will to muck with a game postrelease.
But didn't Bungie "fix" equipment by turning them into armour abilities? That's not the most hope inspiring comparison.

Nebula

Sources tell me you will get donged on

#Insider

Also the update will be fine outside of BTB. I still see the DMR donging on everything as usual, especially with the red reticle reduction on the BR. Vehicles like the Tank, Ghost, Mongoose, Banshee, Mantis and the Hogs will still be Plasma Pistoled and stuck into oblivion. Even with the damage increase on the Mantis and the Hog. People are now also going to camp even harder with the Mantis given it can hold it's ground more effectively. It's going to crap on the Banshee on Valhalla
like it has been since launch, but now it's easier.

#SaveBTB

#Insider

Also the update will be fine outside of BTB. I still see the DMR donging on everything as usual, especially with the red reticle reduction on the BR. Vehicles like the Tank, Ghost, Mongoose, Banshee, Mantis and the Hogs will still be Plasma Pistoled and stuck into oblivion. Even with the damage increase on the Mantis and the Hog. People are now also going to camp even harder with the Mantis given it can hold it's ground more effectively. It's going to crap on the Banshee on Valhalla
like it has been since launch, but now it's easier.

#SaveBTB
Just stop playing it. Vote with your game time.

I'll concede that loadouts are here to stay in Halo, but customized loadouts belong somewhere else besides multiplayer. Put them in co-op modes like firefight or spartan ops or even the campaign, where it doesn't matter that an AI enemy can't tell what setup you have. One thing that I hope dies a fiery fucking death in the next game are the perks and specializations. It's bad enough that Armor Abilities like jetpack and camo alter the gameplay to various levels of shit, but throwing in unneeded/unwanted perks with absolutely no way to tell what your enemy is equipped with is a whole new level of frustration.

Reach's static loadouts seem brilliantly simplistic by comparison.

Fuchsdh

I think custom loadouts were a cool idea but they introduce too many balance issues and dilute the sandbox. There don't need to be three copies of each weapon. While Halo 1's sandbox prolly could have benefited from the Carbine, most of the weapons had different rather than complementary roles and that was good.

I don't exactly blame game devs though, players always yell and scream that they want more weapons and new weapons, etc.

I really hope that in Halo 5 the DMR goes, as much as I love how it feels compared to the BR.

Nebula

I think custom loadouts were a cool idea but they introduce too many balance issues and dilute the sandbox. There don't need to be three copies of each weapon. While Halo 1's sandbox prolly could have benefited from the Carbine, most of the weapons had different rather than complementary roles and that was good.

I don't exactly blame game devs though, players always yell and scream that they want more weapons and new weapons, etc.

I really hope that in Halo 5 the DMR goes, as much as I love how it feels compared to the BR.

The Grenade Launcher was something new that filled it's own little corner of the sandbox pretty nicely. They removed it.

Nebula

They added the sticky det, which is like the BK version of it

And replaced it with babby's first grenade launcher: the sticky detonator.

CoDernisation of Halo for you. Hell it's the reason Halo 4 exists.

Not to 343. Bring back Grenade Launcher.

While your at it, bring in every single Halo vehicle, including ones on Halo Wars that would transition well, or with a few tweaks and you'll have loads of content for Halo 5.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Yeaaaaaa, abouuut that

Top Bottom