• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Madness

It's taking me a while to get used to the BR for some reason. Playing like shit. Maybe it's the movement speed but my shots are pretty off, but I primarily used the DMR. But I like this. If it didn't have Flinch, I'd say the gameplay would be near perfect.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I did poorly tonight too (not awful, but not good). It's going to take a bit to get used to not just sprinting out in BTB. Also after using the BR for so long my LR skills got rusty. Need to try the Carbine a bit tomorrow night.

daedalius

ffs that 4 shot BR is so lethal now, got my shit tossed repeatedly tonight.

Evidently it doesn't have bleedthrough though, considering I had a somewhat absurd amount of shield pops with headshots, but no kill. Or my connection was just complete shit tonight. Or I'm bad; totally could be the case.

Also, Halo 3 is the best campaign in terms of sandbox gameplay. Please make Halo 5's campaign more like Halo 3. Discuss.

If halo 2 vista didn't work when halo was in its prime why will spartan assualt sell hardware now?

I get that Microsoft are trying to piggyback/ take advantage of the hardcore fans who lap up halo - but I'm willing to bet that group has shrunk a fair bit in the last few years or so.

I'm very curious what the cross game rewards will be - im betting just armours and skins.

Give me more Halo 2 campaign over Halo 3 missions please, many more replays for me with H2. Delta Halo, Regret, outskirts etc.
I dunno why but I feel like Halo 1 had the only replayable campaign of the whole series.

Halo 1 missions had a calm, yet expansive feel to them that seemed to encourage exploration during gameplay when every single mission of other games felt like they were forcing/rushing you forward towards the end of the level to continue the story. They had either gameplay or music triggers that made the player feel like they had to continue forward when I can remember feeling a kind of serenity in the AotCR snow-covered canyons with no pressure to move forward whatsoever, and it really added to the campaign experience in a unique and amazing way that I haven't seen in any single-player campaign since then.

I dunno why but I feel like Halo 1 had the only replayable campaign of the whole series.

Halo 1 missions had a calm, yet expansive feel to them that seemed to encourage exploration during gameplay when every single mission of other games felt like they were forcing/rushing you forward towards the end of the level to continue the story. They had either gameplay or music triggers that made the player feel like they had to continue forward when I can remember feeling a kind of serenity in the AotCR snow-covered canyons with no pressure to move forward whatsoever, and it really added to the campaign experience in a unique and amazing way that I haven't seen in any single-player campaign since then.

Solid points mate, I'd go a 40/30/30 split of CE & H2 missions & Halo 4. One provision though, the new AI and campaign has to be open world of sorts and challenging with varied tactics. I blame the old hardware for the Halo 4 AI.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sunday looks promising, but I might be able to jump on board for some Friday or Saturday games.
I have no clue what my weekend is gonna be like at this point, but let's try to get something going at some point!

I'm hopping on now to try the settings out for the first time.

BlackvWhite_zps17a88470.jpg

<3 modders

I will share a version of Halomods CTF that allows you to specify any object as the flag soon.

Alchemical

Neo Member

100% agree with this. There is a calmness and ambience, evoking other-worldliness in a manner which no other Halo comes close to, that pervades CE in both campaign and multiplayer design. In my mind, the linearity of H4's campaign, combined with its aforementioned audiovisual assault on the player makes it the furthest thing from CE in the entire franchise in this regard.

The tactical and exploratory options available in CE's campaign have not been surpassed since then. After 11 years of playing it, I am still finding new and viable approaches to enemy encounters. The variety made possible through these characteristics makes it by far the most replayable Halo campaign.

I also simply miss the serenity of CE's multiplayer. In audiovisual terms, the lack of overt sensory assault, helped hugely by the dynamic range within the audio design, makes the game easily playable for extended periods of time; something I find impossible when it comes to H4, without feeling completely exhausted.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think I have moved from SWAT to Infinity Slayer. I am sort of holding my own. Which for me is finishing second on a team that either wins or loses by a narrow margin.

I think I have moved from SWAT to Infinity Slayer. I am sort of holding my own. Which for me is finishing second on a team that either wins or loses by a narrow margin.

You just missed out, Me, Gui and Croatia just cracked some skulls in Inf Slayer. Had fun. That weapon update is good stuff.

willow ve

Interesting that you moved from a rigidly controlled experience to random ordnance mystery weapon/loadouts.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

You be down for some Infinity Slayer this weekend perhaps? Maybe we can get a HaloGaf game going with new settings.

Big team forever, well when the servers don't mess up or hosts keep leaving, the new weapon balances really help with BTB for me.

Speaking of which it's been a while since I last played halo 4, few months at least, is a pistol and human nades forced on you for big team all the time now?

wwm0nkey

I like lots of different things. I simply switched modes because I like the new flow.

Even on Infinity settings its still fun, I vastly prefer Pro but I can still have a blast in Infinity.

Also big team is a lot of fun now too since the warthog isn't being destroyed by grenades since you can shoot them before they have the chance now.

Seriously, GOOD update.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Update is good. That said, the automatics need a range nerf IMO, and the shield recharge time should be reduced to accommodate the faster kill times.

Lazslo

I played some H4 yesterday and was surprised to play Lockout for the first game -it was good times. H4 is great, but my wish for E3 this year is a Halo 2 Xbone Remake. I would pay lots of monies for that game and those Maps. It would be the only reason I would buy Xbones

I still have beef with the rail gun doing little to no push back on vehicles, why can't it throw a warthog on it's side like a grenade does? :(

Risen

Yes to both, Shield time really needs the boost though.

Give reasons for opinions... Here's why I say no to both:

Shield recharge times being slower helps ensure people get punished for making bad decisions and getting out played... Particularly with sprint in the game. Additionally in Infinity Slayer there is a shielding upgrade which does exactly as you wish and is balanced against the default time. Change the default time and it renders the upgrade useless. Change the upgrade in proportion to a faster default time and it becomes too quick.

The AR actually fits into the sandbox now in that there is a reason to use it and with skill you can out work lesser skilled or people who just miss/make mistakes, at medium range. If you land four shots from a BR or all shots from the Carbine, at all but close range you drop the AR user every time. Miss though, and you get shit on... Nerf the AR and people fill the gap with a rifle and you will only see it on the tightest of maps, like Skyline.

IHaveIce

Banned
Update is good. That said, the automatics need a range nerf IMO, and the shield recharge time should be reduced to accommodate the faster kill times.

Yes to both, Shield time really needs the boost though.

Agreed.

Shield recharge times being slower helps ensure people get punished for making bad decisions and getting out played... Particularly with sprint in the game. Additionally in Infinity Slayer there is a shielding upgrade which does exactly as you wish and is balanced against the default time. Change the default time and it renders the upgrade useless. Change the upgrade in proportion to a faster default time and it becomes too quick.

The AR actually fits into the sandbox now in that there is a reason to use it and with skill you can out work lesser skilled or people who just miss/make mistakes, at medium range. If you land four shots from a BR or all shots from the Carbine, at all but close range you drop the AR user every time. Miss though, and you get shit on... Nerf the AR and people fill the gap with a rifle and you will only see it on the tightest of maps, like Skyline.

The shielding perk only speeds up the recharge process not the wait for the recharge, the wait should be less. It is not being outplayed when I have to wait too long when I survived an 1v1 and killed the other but I'm myself one shot.

Now I have to wait like ages and grenades gonna fuck my shit up.

wwm0nkey

Im not talking about a HUGE bost but maybe a second or 2 wouldn't hurt and would let players get back into the action faster.

BlackvWhite_zps17a88470.jpg

<3 modders

The black looks sexy and so does the idea of making the flag the OB so we can throw it. Hopefully they allow for messing with those traits like distance thrown, speed, etc.

Im not talking about a HUGE bost but maybe a second or 2 wouldn't hurt and would let players get back into the action faster.

Feels like a damn eternity to begin recharging (recharge delay). A couple seconds would definitely help.

Risen

Agreed.

The shielding perk only speeds up the recharge process not the wait for the recharge, the wait should be less. It is not being outplayed when I have to wait too long when I survived an 1v1 and killed the other but I'm myself one shot.

Now I have to wait like ages and grenades gonna fuck my shit up.

Time is time - we are talking the time it takes to get back to full shields from some point where you were damaged. I wasn't saying you were being out played necessarily, but that the current iteration makes sure people are punished when they ARE out played, or make poor decisions. Lessening the recharge rate, or even time before shields recharge, also lessens the extent to which people will be punished for being out played or making said mistakes and increases the likely-hood they will just sprint away.

Sure - a bi-product of that is that you will get cleaned up by good communication and reaction from the other team - but that's as it should be, that's part of good play. And of course there will be times you just run into another encounter and still have low shields, and it NOT be because of a poor decision... but I'll take that as long as it means there is a greater chance people get punished for making those bad plays.

It just feels pretty balanced to me as is...

IHaveIce

Banned
Time is time - we are talking the time it takes to get back to full shields from some point where you were damaged. I wasn't saying you were being out played necessarily, but that the current iteration makes sure people are punished when they ARE out played, or make poor decisions. Lessening the recharge rate, or even time before shields recharge, also lessens the extent to which people will be punished for being out played or making said mistakes and increases the likely-hood they will just sprint away.

Sure - a bi-product of that is that you will get cleaned up by good communication and reaction from the other team - but that's as it should be, that's part of good play. And of course there will be times you just run into another encounter and still have low shields, and it NOT be because of a poor decision... but I'll take that as long as it means there is a greater chance people get punished for making those bad plays.

It just feels pretty balanced to me as is...

Ah yeah got you and you are right, but well the times were also adjusted to the old Kill times I guess and everything right now is more deadlier.

But this is a thing that pissed me off with Halo for ages, every game has so many different times of actions. Changing the Halo game really feels weird because of these small stuff.

Top Bottom